Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

64bitrobot posted:

This sounds ridiculously overpowered and broken.

I haven't had a chance to play yet as I'm stuck at work but I don't see how that's really any worse than now - in my current game with the Big Five special modules I can alread make the Fusion plants practcially free, which for a fully upgraded plant gives you tens of thosands in extra income in the late game.

With Moon Ice you still need to tie up a mine site and other production chains still require Duterium as well so it's not like you don't have to make any of it any more.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet as Im stuck at work but I don't see how that's really any worse than now - in my current game with the Big Five special modules I can alread make the Fusion plants practcially free, which for a fully upgraded plant gives you tens of thosands in extra income in the late game.

With Moon Ice you atill need to tie up a mine site and other production chains still require Duterium as well so it's not like you don't have to mke any of it any more.

Pretty much. You still need Deuterium for quantum computers. You just don't have to hemorrhage money shipping it to the moon. Instead you hemorrhage money on an expensive moon site (then again moon ice mines produce comical amounts of ice for what you need normally).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Played with it a few hours from scratch and then a couple of hours with an established company.

Yeah it's broken but the time/money you put into it is actually harder than the Big Five. Endgame will be even more of a joke but it doesn't effect early game as much as Big Five. Seems more like it'll be interesting to see how insane you can get your corp after you buy everything out than something to exploit while you're growing.

Switching to rice was great though. Massive deleting of Ranches/Bean farms to put in cheap little Organic Farms. It'll be a tough call to see which techs will be the first to go for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, just got the whole meat->rice replacement on a new game. Instant gratification when you delete those big, and expensive, cattle ranches and soy plantations.

Shame the meat's not used for anything else outside of a quest on the moon. But eh, it can gently caress right off.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anybody streaming? I am like totally confused on this Orbit stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I got far enough into to know these mofo's want 50 friggin moon crops. Gonna be awhile guys, hold tight.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Lorini posted:

Well I got far enough into to know these mofo's want 50 friggin moon crops. Gonna be awhile guys, hold tight.

Every one of them wants 50 moon crops. The bigger hassle is the 10 corals.

e: Update I guess on game thoughts. I haven't played since before the big five update, so I was actually super annoyed when administrative costs ended up eating into my bottom line. I really like the market though, it's a good way to keep money relevant when you're loading up an old corp which has basically finished everything. Stocks end up costing a ton, so it's still fun to play the market, gotta be careful and you can't interfere in everything. Influence is pretty great mechanic for making strategic decisions on what and how to affect competitors or stock auctions. Insiders actually become very cool when you get the tier for tech nexus upgrades that give each insides a +10% bonus for each one to actions (Though it still sucks when you fail a 95%)

All and all between the big five update and the tech nexus it's pretty interesting in further developing the corp. (Also working trading floors into city layouts with all the other supply buildings is pretty good. Also I like how you need to get a number of residents around astronaut buildings in order to staff your space station.

The station itself...a little boring, actually. I imagine when I'm trying to fit as many workshops and modules in as I can, it'll be more interesting. I haven't checked, but I'm fairly sure it might not be possible to get all the upgrades from the tech nexus. So between the tech nexus, the stock market, and the tundra modules, it's really quite the complicated cog to optimize your organization.

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

the station itself but it's really more of a block puzzle than a building sim like Tundra. On the plus side, unlike Tundra which seems to suck memory, the Station is quick to load/unload.

But yeah, for those that haven't played yet, here' s a run-down:

You send scientists (put a launch pad near your temperate/arctic/lunar housing and it will generate up to 25 orbital population for your workstations) up to space to generate research points to spend on perks in the five industry specializations (farms, heavy industry, electronics, biotec, POWER if you've forgotten). These points are entirely refundable and you can pick/chose what perks you want to take and keep. To generate more points you need to satisfy your workshops: make sure they have enough workers, have adjacent modules that they like, aren't too hot/cold (modules and workshops create heat that is spread down connectors, and are fed with the resources they want like umpteen bajillion moon veggies for biology workshops).

These research points are then spent on unlocking the perks in the five industry trees. These perks are temporary/refundable so you can turn them on/off at will if you have the research points to grab them, and enough workshops in the specialization to unlock the tier. For example, if you have 100 research points and 3 biotech modules you can chose up to 100 points worth of perks in tiers 1, 2 and 3 of the biotec tree.

In between each tree are the secondary trees that are entirely for upgrading your station (giving more station workshops, more connectors and modules, and increasing the range of your station's shield bubble/construction area). These do not cost points to unlock, at least not directly. Instead if you activate a perk next to it, your station workers will spend X amount of time depending on tiers (higher taking longer obviously) to unlock that upgrade. These upgrades are permanent and how you upgrade your station. Once you have the upgrade researched, you no longer need to have a perk next to it activated so you can shift your perks around however you see fit, or even destroy workshops and rebuild them as another type.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Alkydere posted:

the station itself but it's really more of a block puzzle than a building sim like Tundra. On the plus side, unlike Tundra which seems to suck memory, the Station is quick to load/unload.

But yeah, for those that haven't played yet, here' s a run-down:

You send scientists (put a launch pad near your temperate/arctic/lunar housing and it will generate up to 25 orbital population for your workstations) up to space to generate research points to spend on perks in the five industry specializations (farms, heavy industry, electronics, biotec, POWER if you've forgotten). These points are entirely refundable and you can pick/chose what perks you want to take and keep. To generate more points you need to satisfy your workshops: make sure they have enough workers, have adjacent modules that they like, aren't too hot/cold (modules and workshops create heat that is spread down connectors, and are fed with the resources they want like umpteen bajillion moon veggies for biology workshops).

These research points are then spent on unlocking the perks in the five industry trees. These perks are temporary/refundable so you can turn them on/off at will if you have the research points to grab them, and enough workshops in the specialization to unlock the tier. For example, if you have 100 research points and 3 biotech modules you can chose up to 100 points worth of perks in tiers 1, 2 and 3 of the biotec tree.

In between each tree are the secondary trees that are entirely for upgrading your station (giving more station workshops, more connectors and modules, and increasing the range of your station's shield bubble/construction area). These do not cost points to unlock, at least not directly. Instead if you activate a perk next to it, your station workers will spend X amount of time depending on tiers (higher taking longer obviously) to unlock that upgrade. These upgrades are permanent and how you upgrade your station. Once you have the upgrade researched, you no longer need to have a perk next to it activated so you can shift your perks around however you see fit, or even destroy workshops and rebuild them as another type.

This is a pretty good summary. From what I've counted, it looks like you'll be able to have a max of 12 workshops, which means you can complete two trees down to level 5, and a third tree to level 2.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How do you unlock the workshops? I only have the Agri one.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 21, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lorini posted:

How do you unlock the workshops? I only have the Agri one.

Agri scientists comes from temperate.

Electronics and Biotec come from Arctic zones.

Energy and Heavy Industry come from Lunar zones.

Once you get the scientist-astronauts of the specific zone sent up it will unlock the workshop...provided you have the available workshop points needed to build one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks! I need orbital kits but don't know how to get them. I feel very very stupid. And I get workshop points how?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lorini posted:

Thanks! I need orbital kits but don't know how to get them. I feel very very stupid. And I get workshop points how?

Here, let me use a picture:

Okay, you see the five main trees? In between each trees is a bunch of circles. They'll have one of three pictures: a round blob, a shield, and solar panels (best I can do to quickly describe them). The solar panels will unlock more infrastructure (greenhouses, solar panels, etc. and connectors). The shield will increase your build area. The circular blobs represent workshops as seen from above and those are how you get Orbital Kits/Workshop points.

You unlock/research those circles with station upgrades by selecting a hex-tile (a temporary perk) next to it and waiting X amount of time for that upgrade to research. You don't have to keep the adjacent perk active either to keep the research: once you've got it, it's yours forever. You can see how I had an earlier electronics workshop that gave me both the +workshop and +infrastructure upgrades that I later deleted. And yet I keep the +workshop point.

So the two ways to get more workshops (I think the game gives you two to work with at the start) are to either build a second Biology workshop and grab either the left or right perks to research the workshop points, or build either an electronics or biotech workshop to research the +research point on the right (I would really recommend the electronics one just because you'll be grabbing the more infrastructure bubble at the same time)

You only get so many workshops, the game expects you to pick/chose/unchose perks to research the station upgrades and eventually find a balance you enjoy.

Also holy poo poo the Energy tree has a perk that gives you 3 irridium/minute. Just out of the blue.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 22, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

THANKS!! That's enough to get me going I think.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Alkydere posted:

Also holy poo poo the Energy tree has a perk that gives you 3 irridium/minute. Just out of the blue.

I really enjoy that perk.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Is there any sort of station build guide up yet? I'm having a real tough time trying to get much farther than 3 blips down any line

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I started playing again, now that all of the DC is out, and I have found that weather is my bane! While I appreciate the extra challenge it brings, it was an unexpected disaster in the new Veteran game I started where I was having enough trouble balancing the books already before my temperate economy collapsed!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Immanentized posted:

Is there any sort of station build guide up yet? I'm having a real tough time trying to get much farther than 3 blips down any line

I copied this reddit layout to great success. https://www.reddit.com/r/anno2205/comments/4u3k1x/my_space_station_layout_1200_sci/

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Yea, the game doesn't explain poo poo about station, I guess they want you to waste credits rearranging it.
What I learned so far:
Only connection through empty pipes does anything, so if there's say a greenhouse module between your lab and radiator then the radiator does nothing. Not entirely sure, but central station seems to count as empty node for this.
The more pipes separate lab and module the less it adds to bar/changes the temperature. If your radiator cools too hard distance it a bit and get the lab into optimal temperature.
Module effectiveness isn't same, one solar panel can fill the bar of biolab if it's several pipes away, but one greenhouse isn't enough even connected directly. Same solar panel directly connected to electronics workshop will only give ~75% of the bar. Someone compiled the ratios into this picture: https://i.imgur.com/doMuP98.png
Modules provide benefit to any number of labs - you can attach 4 labs to same module and it will give them all same benefit as if only one lab was there.
Workshops produce 10 expertise as base and every full bar gives 200% efficiency, but you're severely penalized by deviating from optimal lab temperature range or insufficient scientists.
Space centers operating at 100%(depends on population of residences within its circle) give you 25 astronauts, so for 5 workshops of the type you need 2 centers(don't build more like I did).
You can have total of 12 workshops, so maximum expertise you can get is 1200, that should be way more than you need for things locked by lab numbers.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 5, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One major thing that I really loving hate about the Research mechanic is how they encourage you to switch workshops around to develop all the different tech but some options change your production lines completely.
So you have to choose between having your production lines completely break for 2 hours every time you switch your workshops to get at different research or not use the major advantage that simplified production line options give you, which is also horse's bollocks.

Once I realized that the most optimal thing to do is to get to the point where you can max out one research branch and then just idle for hours to unlock all the tech before continuing to play. I stopped playing the game. That annoyed me way too much.

EDIT: I actually kinda like 2205. It plays differently from 2070 but it's got some great ideas (I love how interconnected all the maps are) but it's not very well made and the DLC is trash. Which is a shame.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I actually really like this annoying mechanic in hindsight. It creates economic difficulty in the game, which I vastly prefer to the crappy content. Now the game is a balance of my perfect bonsai of supply chain logistics, and occasionally switching things up every 2 hours or so.

Of course, everything Pyromancer said is true about the stations being totally badly explained.

Overall, I really like Anno 2205 and can't wait for the next Anno.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Overall, I really like Anno 2205 and can't wait for the next Anno.

All and all I also like 2205 but it seems like it's done REALLY badly.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up scrapping the ideas from 2205 because of how badly the game has done.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jack Trades posted:

All and all I also like 2205 but it seems like it's done REALLY badly.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up scrapping the ideas from 2205 because of how badly the game has done.

By "it's done badly" do you mean the game is coded poorly or do you mean the game has sold poorly? I haven't heard anything about the sales of this game and I'm curious about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
2205 is the first game in the series I've played, and after watching videos of earlier games I don't think I'd be able to go back to games without the easy fold-out menu of exactly how much I'm producing and consuming with the net balance or ability to freely move buildings around.

Completed the zone projects for all the temperate, arctic, and lunar zones and haven't touched it since, but it was a lot of fun and I'm considering playing it again now that the tundra and orbit DLCs are here - not a huge amount of replay value.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

By "it's done badly" do you mean the game is coded poorly or do you mean the game has sold poorly? I haven't heard anything about the sales of this game and I'm curious about it.

It sold very badly as far as I know.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://steamspy.com/app/48240

http://steamspy.com/app/375910

Ion Mage
Dec 21, 2006

Not even 10% as many copies as 2070? What happened? The reviews werent THAT bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ion Mage posted:

Not even 10% as many copies as 2070? What happened? The reviews werent THAT bad.

To be fair. Anno 2070 had a million massive sales and was in several Humble Bundle's.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'd say logistics grognards happened, but that's too much even for them...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ion Mage posted:

they got rid of multiplayer and randomly generated maps, is your answer

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
And combat got shunted off to its own awful subgame, and shipping vehicles disappeared entirely, and and and and

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
All of these were an improvement. Well, maybe except for the randomized maps, but I didn't miss those either.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Megazver posted:

All of these were an improvement. Well, maybe except for the randomized maps, but I didn't miss those either.

sure, but they "casualized" it, so the spergs with 1200 hours in each of the previous titles didn't want to play it any more.

it's a logistics management game where they removed most of the logistics management

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Efexeye posted:

sure, but they "casualized" it, so the spergs with 1200 hours in each of the previous titles didn't want to play it any more.

it's a logistics management game where they removed most of the logistics management

And nothing of value was lost. Good loving riddance.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cythereal posted:

And nothing of value was lost. Good loving riddance.

i only ever played 2070 and i enjoyed it a lot but it and the new one are pretty fundamentally different games.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Interesting that the amount of players in the last two weeks and concurrent players is very close for both games. Maybe 2070 sold a lot because of the future setting and word of mouth, and those people who truly enjoyed the game were the ones who stuck around to play 2205?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
2205 is a good game on it's own but it's like Civ to 2070's EUIV - it's simpler / streamlined but that's not something established fans wanted so they were upset.

The lack of random maps (and thus replay value) hurts it really bad too. I'm replaying it now that the DLC and major patches are out, but once I'm done with this playthrough I never expect to touch it again.

How many people seriously played Anno MP? I never once even considered doing it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

How many people seriously played Anno MP? I never once even considered doing it.
I've done countless hours of it (1602, 1404 and a bit 1701) with a friend over local network (same room). So much fun. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 4, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I love Anno multiplayer, 2070. If you've never done it you're missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pierson posted:

Interesting that the amount of players in the last two weeks and concurrent players is very close for both games.

...one of which is 6 month old, and the other 5 year old.

• Locked thread