Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Is that an elf mcnugget?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I think it's a goblin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looking significantly less lumpy than Thunt's usual fare.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's bollocks.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Sword Interval, the situation continues to deteriorate.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so is this iteration of visage a not-ghost or just a ghost so beefy that they get to ignore the rules

also how about that dog in the burning house

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

The Lone Badger posted:

In Sword Interval, the situation continues to deteriorate.

Another comic that uses infinite canvas as an excuse to make horrible use of whitespace.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh, I thought some panels weren't loading :geno:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Another comic that uses infinite canvas as an excuse to make horrible use of whitespace.

Are you talking about needing to scroll down to see panels? Every comic on that website has that format. Makes them easier to view on phones/tablets/etc. It's more of a convention of that style of webcomic than a choice made to make a statement.

Fleuter's other work, Derelict, doesn't use that format for example.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 4, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JuniperCake posted:

Are you talking about needing to scroll down to see panels? Every comic on that website has that format. Makes them easier to view on phones/tablets/etc. It's more of a convention of that style of webcomic than a choice made to make a statement.

Fleuter's other work, Derelict, doesn't use that format for example.

It is a bad convention for bad webcomics. It's just as obnoxious to read on a phone as it is on a desktop; worse, actually, IMO because my desktop has a scroll wheel whereas I have to swipe continually on my phone after every individual panel. Look at this poo poo:

Like, if this was something used occasionally to create a "pregnant pause" effect that would be one thing, but no, this is in the middle of an action sequence and every single panel has that much separation or more.

If they stuck more closely to a conventional comic book type layout and put more than 1-2 tiny panels on the screen at a time it would be vastly easier to view on any device, while also being able to control the flow and pacing a lot better. Even straight-to-tumblr comics are more convenient to read than this garbage, and that's saying a lot.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Have you tried zooming in?

v

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 4, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

Have you tried zooming in?

Surprisingly, making the panels and space between them larger and increasing the amount of scrolling does not, in fact, alleviate the amount of scrolling.

I did try not reading poo poo comics, though, and that seems to have done the trick.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Surprisingly, making the panels and space between them larger and increasing the amount of scrolling does not, in fact, alleviate the amount of scrolling.

I did try not reading poo poo comics, though, and that seems to have done the trick.

sounds like you got some weak rear end baby fingers if the act of scrolling is such a burden to you

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

It is a bad convention for bad webcomics.

I think calling all korean webcomics garbage because you hate the format is pretty narrow minded but whatever floats your boat. Just avoid that website and all webtoons cause they'll all be like that.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the example from the sword interval is bad but you're an idiot fucker if you have to cry about and decry this very popular format because your weak rear end twig hands can't handle the act of "scrolling up and down"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lovely webdesign is lovely.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

lovely webdesign is lovely.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JuniperCake posted:

I think calling all korean webcomics garbage because you hate the format is pretty narrow minded but whatever floats your boat. Just avoid that website and all webtoons cause they'll all be like that.

I think making your webcomic garbage because other people in a certain scene make garbage comics is pretty dumb, but hey, I guess some people like wasting their effort.

It's not like every Korean webtoon out there is bad, either, since it turns out Koreans are actually not an entire race of idiot men and most of them have adopted key innovations such as:

-Putting more than one panel on a single row
-Actually filling the canvas space with most panels
-Using gutters between panels that are generally smaller than the panels they separate
-Inserting dialogue and narration between panels

Consequently, most Korean webtoons are much more readable than the English knockoffs that keep getting posted here, even if (like me) you don't actually read Korean at all.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

JuniperCake posted:

I've already

made

this

joke

in another

thread

but yes

that format

is

garbage.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
It's a perfectly legitimate stylistic choice, and is frequently used to add a more deliberate pace to a scene. The movie equivalent of turning an action scene into a series of still photographs.

You may not agree with it, and it may not have been good for that particular scene, but that doesn't change its legitimacy.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 4, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i usually don't have the time of day for webtoons' format but sword interval is good enough that i put up with it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

It's a perfectly legitimate stylistic choice, and is frequently used to add a more deliberate pace to a scene. The movie equivalent of turning an action scene into a series of still photographs.

You may not agree with it, and it may not have been good for that particular scene, but that doesn't change its legitimacy.

actually it's bad and not legit

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a reasonably legitimate style*, but that doesn't mean that everyone aping it has any idea what they're doing. I know this is a bit worn out as my go-to example, but the one Korean jump scare comic everyone's seen uses it to good effect, even discounting the autoscroll animations. The Sword Interval comic linked above does not.

*I suspect that the principal reasons behind it have to do more with laziness than anything else. Talented creators can use the effort that it saves and put it to good use elsewhere to produce cool and good things, but apparently at some point people just started imitating the worst parts of it without really understanding the whys and wherefores of it. Not unlike anime.

Tollymain posted:

i usually don't have the time of day for webtoons' format but sword interval is good enough that i put up with it

Yeah, if you enjoy the comic that's cool, just don't post it and then get super defensive when people mention obvious flaws.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but i didn't

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Didn't mean to imply that you did, sorry! You are the Gallant in this scenario to other peoples' Goofuses.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
mmm okay so I guess I can add another item to the list of things that will set someone off really hardcore in the webcomics thread

Let's see... that puts it at

1. Questionable Content [anything]

2. viking racism

3. infinite canvas

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously though gently caress korean webtoons

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

actually it's bad and not legit

Using a legitimate technique and being bad aren't mutually exclusive. I never said it was a good comic page, but people shouldn't be closed minded about the uses of these things either. :shrug:

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's a reasonably legitimate style*, but that doesn't mean that everyone aping it has any idea what they're doing. I know this is a bit worn out as my go-to example, but the one Korean jump scare comic everyone's seen uses it to good effect, even discounting the autoscroll animations. The Sword Interval comic linked above does not.

*I suspect that the principal reasons behind it have to do more with laziness than anything else. Talented creators can use the effort that it saves and put it to good use elsewhere to produce cool and good things, but apparently at some point people just started imitating the worst parts of it without really understanding the whys and wherefores of it. Not unlike anime.

Yeah, if you enjoy the comic that's cool, just don't post it and then get super defensive when people mention obvious flaws.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Don't knock the technique, it has uses, but instead critique the instance of the technique. If he just aped it, it'll show. But unusual panel layouts, especially in an online format where you have a lot more freedom, can be very powerful.

TBH I've never read that comic we're talking about. The kill a million demons or whatever is what I'm currently reading. I love drinking contests with inventive boozes. :swoon:

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 5, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I've read Sword Interval but I never found the infinite canvas scroll that bad... being on a computer with a mouse that lets me keep the page constantly rolling as I read helps a lot though. reading a page of it on a phone would probably be a huge pain in the rear end.

Now what I really hate about webtoon is that the next page button is only accessible from a disappearing top bar which seems super fussy sometimes and will just straight up disappear on me forever sometimes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
is "korean webtoon" a new euphemism for cartoon pedo stuff?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No, korean webcomics just have massive borders for some reason.

except cutbu cutbu rules

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

No, korean webcomics just have massive borders for some reason.

they learned it from the DMZ

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Like any sort of graphical design aspect, it depends on how it's used. When you expand really hard on the infinite canvas, it adds physical transit time between panels beyond the normal time it takes your eyes to get from one part to the next that you're normally used to. In the case of that comic, it made a beat panel go from pacing out an instant to feeling like a full minute in comic time. Space equates to time in comics, and more space equals more time. If you're trying to force readers to take one panel at a time, I think I prefer how Kid Radd or Ava's Demon do it, instead of just padding out vertical space, but that can take complicated coding.

So long as we're talking more about the web side of webcomics, it's really great for archive binging how some webcomics will map next comic and previous comic to the arrow keys, but then when I'm browsing with windows that aren't maximized, it's a pain in the rear end to run into a comic with wide pages, since my scroll wheel doesn't do horizontal, and the scrollbar is a hassle, and clicking the mouse wheel to bring up the weird little scroll cursor doesn't work if the comic itself is a link. It's the perfect inconvenience.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Using a legitimate technique and being bad aren't mutually exclusive. I never said it was a good comic page, but people shouldn't be closed minded about the uses of these things either. :shrug:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it as well.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

is "korean webtoon" a new euphemism for cartoon pedo stuff?

sorry about your racism

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

its those drat finns again...!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

10th dimension boys is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Nuns with Guns posted:

mmm okay so I guess I can add another item to the list of things that will set someone off really hardcore in the webcomics thread

3. infinite canvas

To be fair, people have been getting upset about infinite canvas for well over ten years now- at least noone brought up Scott McCloud.

• Locked thread