Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

This is beautiful, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

thank you for finding this because it was also my first thought but i would've never remembered it was liger doing it.

i hope cm punk has fun and does not get hurt too bad.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

coconono posted:

You couldn't co-main Gall/Punk on a PPV. More than likely, it'd be the opener or 2nd on the card and that's a hard sell for a first time buyer. People like Punk but do they like him enough to pay $60 for a product they're not familiar with?

Yes, because a "fight" is something everybody can comprehend.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Brock Lesnar's UFC debut and his second-ever fight was in the comain of a ppv against former heavyweight champ Frank Mir. I have no clue how CM Punk's popularity with wrestling fans compares to Lesnar's back then and I also know Frank Mir obviously carries a different level of name recognition than Mickey "Some Guy" Gall, but regardless I think it is safe to assume that people will buy into a new product if a pro wrestler they like is involved. Also keep in mind the UFC itself is much more popular and immediately recognized now than in 2008, so there's probably less of an unfamiliarity hurdle for Punk to clear.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brock Lesnar was also a freak athlete who was an incredible amateur wrestler in college. Punk is not very gifted athletically (if at all) and I don't think he did any amateur stuff either.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

IcePhoenix posted:

Punk is not very gifted athletically

queue the hordes of punk fans rushing to his defense, "b-b-but he can b-b-bump...."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CM Bump

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the gently caress is a bump?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
aka falling down

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So he's only good at faking getting knocked down?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY *holds up fists with CAN BUMP tattoos*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's harder than it sounds but yes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's also good at being very angry all the time

Taking a bump is pretty hard though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvyfEW9zra4&t=27s

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's like a breakfall in jitz or mma but I don't think the guy is actually trying to murder you after you try to bounce up

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
And you take a breakskie to hold something because it hurts after. I mean it prolly sucks in varying proportion to how much your partner doesn't want to hurt you

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Can't wait for Punk to bitch on twitter about how Gall works too stiff

This joke has probably been made a bunch of times but I don't care

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks for the explanation!

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
does someone have a gif of the Mousasi/Santos KO from UFC 200

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I hope that Punk doesn't try to do wrestling moves in a real fight, which I'm sure he won't.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I hope CM Punk puts that mean dude into the Walls of Jericho. That'd show em.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bluedeanie posted:

Brock Lesnar's UFC debut and his second-ever fight was in the comain of a ppv against former heavyweight champ Frank Mir. I have no clue how CM Punk's popularity with wrestling fans compares to Lesnar's back then and I also know Frank Mir obviously carries a different level of name recognition than Mickey "Some Guy" Gall, but regardless I think it is safe to assume that people will buy into a new product if a pro wrestler they like is involved. Also keep in mind the UFC itself is much more popular and immediately recognized now than in 2008, so there's probably less of an unfamiliarity hurdle for Punk to clear.

It'll be interesting to see whether it translates into PPV buys - Punk definitely has (or had) more of a "fanbase" than Lesnar, he was an internet darling back to when he was wrestling in front of 100 people for Ring Of Honor, and there are still people who'll chant his name at WWE shows if only to annoy the management if nothing else.

Lesnar, though, was always portrayed on TV as an enormous goddamn monster, seeing mainly as that's what he is. Punk is a normal-sized guy who gets on the microphone and shouts at people, but also someone who lost a lot of high-profile matches on WWE television. I'm curious to see whether the hardcore fans will buy into him in UFC more than they did with Lesnar because Punk is their guy, or whether the bulk of the Lesnar buys were casual viewers who wanted to see the monster wrestler smash or get smashed, and who won't really be fussed about the dude who didn't beat the Undertaker getting in the cage and doing mediocre jiujitsu.

All that said, consider that if Punk only draws 10,000 extra buys from being on the undercard, that's still $600k in extra revenue for the UFC. Unless they're paying him championship-level money (in which case they're actual morons), they're going to come out ahead from putting him on PPV.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
People are gonna be so salty if he wins just like they were when Brock won and became the most popular fighter in UFC history

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CoolCat posted:

Yes, because a "fight" is something everybody can comprehend.

Ole Anderson would tell you otherwise.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Skip My Posts posted:

People are gonna be so salty if he wins just like they were when Brock won and became the most popular fighter in UFC history

Itll be cool if he wins.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

1st AD posted:

queue the hordes of punk fans rushing to his defense, "b-b-but he can b-b-bump...."

i'm like, the biggest punk fan and even I know he's gonna get his rear end kicked

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this thread is marks

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

i'm like, the biggest punk fan and even I know he's gonna get his rear end kicked
people in this thread have a real weird view of wrestling fans

but they also feel threatened by a wrestler fighting in the ufc cause he brings in an audience so there's a lot going on

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Lesnar, though, was always portrayed on TV as an enormous goddamn monster, seeing mainly as that's what he is. Punk is a normal-sized guy who gets on the microphone and shouts at people, but also someone who lost a lot of high-profile matches on WWE television. I'm curious to see whether the hardcore fans will buy into him in UFC more than they did with Lesnar because Punk is their guy, or whether the bulk of the Lesnar buys were casual viewers who wanted to see the monster wrestler smash or get smashed, and who won't really be fussed about the dude who didn't beat the Undertaker getting in the cage and doing mediocre jiujitsu.

The question is whether hardcore wrestling fans are still upset that he stopped wrestling to the point that they are going to spend 60 dollars to watch him get beat up, which they probably still are, or out of curiosity if he will start doing fake wrestling moves, which they apparently do.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Keg posted:

The question is whether hardcore wrestling fans are still upset that he stopped wrestling to the point that they are going to spend 60 dollars to watch him get beat up, which they probably still are, or out of curiosity if he will start doing fake wrestling moves, which they apparently do.

lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'll have you know that in my vast experience wrestling with my cousins as a kid, the Figure Four hurts like a bitch and if Punk gets that bad boy on Gall is a dead man.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Keg posted:

there's also a large subset of hardcore fans that also think better of punk for leaving and essentially telling Vince to gently caress off, even if it ends with him being murdered in the octagon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, if Punk can learn to do that Reverse STO in non-reverse fashion, he'll know at least one judo move. Is Karo Parisyan still a thing?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am still pulling for Punk to get a fluke KO then getting UFC to pay for a few more surgeries then retiring in the build up to Punk Gall II

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, if Punk can learn to do that Reverse STO in non-reverse fashion, he'll know at least one judo move. Is Karo Parisyan still a thing?

I mean, the person called 'Karo Parisyan' technically still exists in some state, so yes.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

reignofevil posted:

I hope CM Punk puts that mean dude into the Walls of Jericho. That'd show em.

Liontamer

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

1st AD posted:

*He has good willpower

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Skip My Posts posted:

After winning a match he'll turn to the crowd and shout "WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY!"

He'll do this after losing, too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

RZApublican posted:

After winning a match he'll turn to the crowd and shout "WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY!"

This is how he'll get back in the WWE when he gets hit so hard he'll have amnesia and forget about the years of 2012-14

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZApublican posted:

KNOCK EDOUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

RZApublican posted:

I bet you $20 he won't.

• Locked thread