Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I would like auto pilot in the green lands. The zones being larger are really good but at the same time, the new player experience might suck a lot when you don't have a horse or ox and have to run across three huge zones manually to go find some chestnut or whatever. At least if you could tell your dude to go to a zone and they go there via the roads you could go take a poo poo or something then come back and be there hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Day 1 update: FURIA finished setting up Stalls in Icecracking Bay that are T4. If you want access to them you will need to shoot a tell to either Rada or Shiki. Or be part of DEFY-Alliance.

We are moving to Black today...

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
When do you ninja loot their bank

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think you mean test something.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Has anyone who has played Asherons Call or Ultima Online want to compare how it is to Albion?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Diogines posted:

Has anyone who has played Asherons Call or Ultima Online want to compare how it is to Albion?

I played Asheron's Call. They're significantly different, even if you played on DT. Albion has:

- Full drops on death instead of value based.
- No penalty applied to your character on death.
- Separate map tiles across the world instead of one contiguous landmass.
- No experience points to invest anywhere.
- Less handcrafted areas.
- No variability on weapons.

The most similar conceptual element is the classless system. You can do anything and everything if you spend enough time grinding.

That said, if you like pvp and ganking people you'll probably have a good time your first beta at least. I'd probably just do the $30 package though.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ruggan posted:

I played Asheron's Call. They're significantly different, even if you played on DT. Albion has:

- Full drops on death instead of value based.
- No penalty applied to your character on death.
- Separate map tiles across the world instead of one contiguous landmass.
- No experience points to invest anywhere.
- Less handcrafted areas.
- No variability on weapons.

The most similar conceptual element is the classless system. You can do anything and everything if you spend enough time grinding.

That said, if you like pvp and ganking people you'll probably have a good time your first beta at least. I'd probably just do the $30 package though.

Is there anything depth or anything interesting about the crafting, or just mindless grinding?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Diogines posted:

Is there anything depth or anything interesting about the crafting, or just mindless grinding?

Depends on who you ask. I don't think it'd be fair to call it complex or deep though. You compete to collect materials from nodes around the world (which are now biome based) and then you make items from them. Crafting alone wouldn't be very fun. Gathering's ok because at least it gets you out and interacting.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do you still not earn any fame from killing players?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I can't believe they still don't support 21:9 resolutions, people have been asking for 2 years now. gently caress this game.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Seriously and why cant i play with my racing wheel controller

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Day one strategy for those of us who spent way to much money on this game:

If you paid for the pack that gives you access on the very first day you should do nothing but farm silver for 24 hours and use it to buy as much gold as possible. I never saw gold go above 7 silver a piece the first day. By the end of the second day it was up to 22. It typically gets up to 50+ within a week or two. I bought a couple of thousand silver worth of gold the first day and once it gets back up to ~50 silver I am going to sell it for a huge return. It's too late to get in on it now, but this should go in the OP for release.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah the first day I should of bought a bunch of gold, I remembered to do it on the second day and got about 2,000 at ~15 silver a piece, hoping to sell it in a week for a fair return.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

D-Pad posted:

Day one strategy for those of us who spent way to much money on this game:

If you paid for the pack that gives you access on the very first day you should do nothing but farm silver for 24 hours and use it to buy as much gold as possible. I never saw gold go above 7 silver a piece the first day. By the end of the second day it was up to 22. It typically gets up to 50+ within a week or two. I bought a couple of thousand silver worth of gold the first day and once it gets back up to ~50 silver I am going to sell it for a huge return. It's too late to get in on it now, but this should go in the OP for release.

At launch people might be a bit more tight with their gold since it's real money equivalent and they wont get another reset of it. The price will go up sure, and likely much much higher since there will be F2P people wanting to have premium. But don't expect to get in as cheaply.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Bought into this like a couple of years ago and decided to take another look.
Are there any guides for which weapons are worth using or even which do what? There's a bunch of options and I don't see any way to tell what the advantage of a pike is over a sword or whatever.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Pendent posted:

Bought into this like a couple of years ago and decided to take another look.
Are there any guides for which weapons are worth using or even which do what? There's a bunch of options and I don't see any way to tell what the advantage of a pike is over a sword or whatever.

They change the weapons each beta so there isn't a decided *best* yet

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't care about best, I just want to know what sort of general playstyle to expect from them. Maybe that changes too, I'm not sure.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
There was a google doc posted a few pages back with info on all of the weapon abilities that should help?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pendent posted:

I don't care about best, I just want to know what sort of general playstyle to expect from them. Maybe that changes too, I'm not sure.

You can drill down on weapons in the destiny board and look at the dps and spells for each weapon.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Are there interesting places to explore just running around the world, or is it basically just grinding, or a theme-park?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
So there is apparently no tier 2 resources on the black zones and you need to haul up thousands from the noob areas just to progress this game is so loving stupid

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

tyrelhill posted:

So there is apparently no tier 2 resources on the black zones and you need to haul up thousands from the noob areas just to progress this game is so loving stupid

You mean I can't box myself into my far away land and build up a weapons cache with no risk of caravaning? You mean that there is a trade incentive between zones? Oh no...

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Sounds like dutch economics to me, explains why they are still in the 1980s

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

Here is a succinct summary of the depth that was given to this game upon creation:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
guys does this game work on my iphone plus yet

this is important

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FireWhizzle posted:

guys does this game work on my iphone plus yet

this is important

ONLY if you have 3g signal

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FireWhizzle posted:

Here is a succinct summary of the depth that was given to this game upon creation:

Thanks, i'll give it a pass then.

Comparisons to UO made it sound interesting... alas.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

Thanks, i'll give it a pass then.

Comparisons to UO made it sound interesting... alas.

Honestly, AO has a few aspects of UO that are cool. Here's my short list

Things that were cool about UO:
Open world
Territory was a meta game, not a built in featured mechanic
Territory didn't really matter, it was more a show of epeen / landlordism / luck / rl cash
PVP gear was lol to make and buy, and dieing horribly in a battle was pretty fun, since gear was nothing and the points don't matter
It was the first of its kind
Taking currency from PVE alts of PVPers
Skills/build were whatever the hell you wanted it to be, and it took at most like 2-3 days to macro up and have fun with friends
Build a house wherever you want, or buy it if you can't find a spot, either way, deco that poo poo so passersby can gawk at your swag

Things that were cool about AO:
"You are what you wear" (This has been heavily redacted)
Gate zone battles
Taking things from people sometimes but you can't recall so you'll most likely lose it on the way home

How AO handled the above "Cool things about UO" list
Not open world, hybrid UO - EVE gate things run on ??? different servers in different locations with different latencies ???
Territory is the most important built in mechanic in the game
Territory matters, without it you might as well not play
PVP gear is not lol to make and lose, so have fun clicking rocks
It is not the first of its kind
Taking gear from other pvpers (thumbs up)
Skills/build are timegated by a literal timer counting down a timer and awarding you points. Optionally, you may quit your job and kill the same skeleton for 248 hours
Build a house in an instance that no one will ever see, or inside a territory that you will statistically lose in 1-3 months

e: housing

ee: I realized that this post may seem very hosing of AO. I don't intend that (although it is a Very Bad Game). This was a response of AO vs UO. AO launches are some of the most fun, tear filled spergstravaganzas of any game and are totally worth the 50bux or whatever. I got my 100bux just out of the forum drama. It will definitely be a good time for a few weeks this launch and on official launch.

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 4, 2016

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
I can't do it, just to know all my grinding efforts will be wiped once more. I'll come back for full release, but not this last beta. I actually enjoy the grind, but only if it sticks.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

SamEyeAm posted:

I can't do it, just to know all my grinding efforts will be wiped once more. I'll come back for full release, but not this last beta. I actually enjoy the grind, but only if it sticks.

Same, I got to tier 4 though and would happily join in on some PVP roams but that's about it.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

FireWhizzle posted:

I got my 100bux just out of the forum drama. It will definitely be a good time for a few weeks this launch and on official launch.

I got my $100 stealing someone's Ox full of high-level mats and getting Bercilak to publicly approve it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

SamEyeAm posted:

Has there been an announcement that they plan to do another wipe? I thought the whole big thing now was there were no more wipes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

nessin posted:

Has there been an announcement that they plan to do another wipe? I thought the whole big thing now was there were no more wipes.

There will be another wipe in 3-4 months when they go live. Finding information about it was a pain in the rear end but its on the forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4vofpn/we_are_the_albion_online_team_ask_us_anything/

"At the end of the current final beta phase, which is expected to last 3-4 months, there will be one final wipe, after that, the game will be released."

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 4, 2016

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
So I have to start over from scratch? gently caress it.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Me and Blazing just ruined some peoples rep.

Also people who don't know about blobs showing up on the map and setting up "traps" lol.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

nessin posted:

BadLlama posted:

There will be another wipe in 3-4 months when they go live. Finding information about it was a pain in the rear end but its on the forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4vofpn/we_are_the_albion_online_team_ask_us_anything/

"At the end of the current final beta phase, which is expected to last 3-4 months, there will be one final wipe, after that, the game will be released."

Which probably means like March-May 2017.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This will be the longest beta by far so hopefully they can use that time to get the mid-end game right. If they continue to add content and balance I really think they might pull off a decent game by release. I've been in since one of the very first betas and the game has gotten a lot better. We'll see though, it isn't quite there yet. I do think the distribution and size of black zones could make things interesting if they fix 5v5.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

hopefully...balance...decent...release...isn't quite there yet...if they fix 5v5.

Optimism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

I got my $100 stealing someone's Ox full of high-level mats and getting Bercilak to publicly approve it.

We all got our $100 watching you steal the entire guild bank.

• Locked thread