Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mantis42 posted:

Rome was historically plausible even if it wasn't accurate.

The producers explicitly aimed for authenticity rather than accuracy, and were very candid about that choice. I think it worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

The producers explicitly aimed for authenticity rather than accuracy, and were very candid about that choice. I think it worked well.

I really wish there was more fiction about the ancient world that took the Rome approach. The little things like the Roman street culture really allowed that show to transcend the usual tendency toward slapping togas on everyone and calling it a day.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

edit: double post

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rome played with the events a bit but for an accurate depiction of the Roman world, you won't do better.

Jerusalem posted:

2. WHEN did people realize punctuation and spaces between words was a good thing? :sweatdrop:

They still haven't in some places. I've never really learned to deal with the lack of spacing in East Asian languages.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
One of my history professors described the classical Mediterranean as "people hooking up everywhere" and I commend HBO and Starz Spartacus for their attention to detail.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Reading a book on history, and the author notes that the Romans are responsible for the the use of simple, clear lettering for architecture.

Which is such a basic but important thing that's it's really impressive.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 4, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Reading a book on history, and the author notes that the Romans are responsible for the the use of simple, clear lettering for architecture.

Which is such a basic but important thing that's it's really impressive.

Note that Agrippa, noted :krad: dude, stuck punctuation-spaces where most Romans (before his time) would have said "eh, they'll figure it out".

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 4, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Surely the most interesting part about the Pantheon is its sign.

(Way back in like '97 when I visited Rome the drat thing was closed :smith:)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

We've been using those letters for a long time...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

(Arch of Titus)

It's so legible. This is truly why the Romans were masters of the world.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 4, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

(Arch of Titus)

It's so legible. This is truly why the Romans were masters of the world.

"Senatus Populus Que Romanus" is the meaning of "SPQR" by the way if anyone was unaware.

Senate and People of Rome. Their way of saying "your tax sestercii at work!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pre-restoration:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

2. WHEN did people realize punctuation and spaces between words was a good thing? :sweatdrop:

In English, it took a long time. Roman punctuation was basically the capital letter for important words, paragraph break, and a dot between words instead of spaces·like·I'm·doing·here, and would also squash the letters together and use lots of abbreviations if necessary. In the Dark Ages people started to get a bit more creative, and most of it was designed to make reading easier for preachers and orators - i.e., showing them where to pause and for how long. I think one of the influence on punctuation at this time was music notation, where controlling how the singers interpret the book was more important. Word spacing began in the 8th century, when miniscule scripts (looking like lowercase instead of upperase letters) became more common and Latin wasn't as well known - so yes, they did it to make reading easier. It also helped silent reading become more important, about the 10th century. Then punctuation really took off and most of the other punctuation marks were invented by 1500, I think.

Other languages do it differently, of course. Chinese doesn't use word spacing (and it's not really a problem for me :shrug:) and I think really only adopted punctuation in the 19th century. I think that might have something to do with the structure of the language; if 嗎 always means a question, a ? is unnecessary. It does have an extra backwards comma used only for lists, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks guys, I love learning stuff like this :)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

"Senatus Populus Que Romanus" is the meaning of "SPQR" by the way if anyone was unaware.

Senate and People of Rome. Their way of saying "your tax sestercii at work!"

Well, Populusque - -que on the end of a word in Latin means 'and <word>', but it's not a separate word itself.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Has there ever been a more contentious "and" than filioque

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

House Louse posted:

Other languages do it differently, of course. Chinese doesn't use word spacing (and it's not really a problem for me :shrug:) and I think really only adopted punctuation in the 19th century. I think that might have something to do with the structure of the language; if 嗎 always means a question, a ? is unnecessary. It does have an extra backwards comma used only for lists, though.

Lack of spacing in Chinese is a serious problem because modern Mandarin uses compound words so extensively. The first step, mentally, to reading any compound word is to identify that it's a compound in the first place. Mandarin uses 2 and 3 character words for most of its nouns. A spacing system (or use of brackets for compounds or something) would help comprehensibility. Notice in pinyin words are spaced and compounds left together and it's a big help.

Verbs are easier because they are grammatically regular but there's still no excuse for not spacing. Chinese has a clear and intuitive use for spacing, and the way people naturally adopt spacing when writing Chinese in Roman letters is good evidence for it.

Nobody would write woaixinzhongguo in pinyin but they'd also never write wo ai xin zhong guo either, it always comes out wo ai xin zhongguo because people intuitively understand that "China" is a single unit despite being a compound word.

The Chinese writing system is bad and not spacing your words is bad.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 4, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

Lack of spacing in Chinese is a serious problem because modern Mandarin uses compound words so extensively. The first step, mentally, to reading any compound word is to identify its components. Mandarin uses 2 and 3 character words for most of its nouns. A spacing system (or use of brackets for compounds or something) would help comprehensibility. Notice in pinyin words are spaced and compounds left together and it's a big help.

Verbs are easier because they are grammatically regular but there's still no excuse for not spacing. Chinese has a clear and intuitive use for spacing, and the way people naturally adopt spacing when writing Chinese in Roman letters is good evidence for it.

Nobody would write woaixinzhongguo in pinyin but they'd also never write wo ai xin zhong guo either, it always comes out wo ai xin zhongguo because people intuitively understand that "China" is a single unit despite being a compound word.

And since Japan uses most of the same characters as Chinese, they have the same problem. A particular sting of logograms could mean either "Museum of History" or "Diaper Hypnosis" depending on where the different words begin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jazerus posted:

Note that Agrippa, noted :krad: dude, stuck punctuation-spaces where most Romans (before his time) would have said "eh, they'll figure it out".

(Agrippa didn't write that one)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

peer posted:

Has there ever been a more contentious "and" than filioque

I like where this is going and this is totally the thread for you to say more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korean is worse than either because it's agglutinative and an alphabet so unless you're totally fluent you have no loving idea where words begin or end when they don't use spaces. It's already tough because you can have a verb with a stem + six particles and you have to hunt through the whole word to find the stem and hope it's the one you think it is because "ga" could be like 20 different things and if you don't have the context perfect then ? ? ?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And since Japan uses most of the same characters as Chinese, they have the same problem. A particular sting of logograms could mean either "Museum of History" or "Diaper Hypnosis" depending on where the different words begin.

It's at least a little better because you intersperse hiragana particles and conjugation into the kanji.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Are spaces not even used by younger Chinese and Japanese? In my experience younger Koreans pretty much always use them. And I think the older people that didn't instead put in Hanja (Chinese Characters) to differentiate.

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean is worse than either because it's agglutinative and an alphabet so unless you're totally fluent you have no loving idea where words begin or end when they don't use spaces. It's already tough because you can have a verb with a stem + six particles and you have to hunt through the whole word to find the stem and hope it's the one you think it is because "ga" could be like 20 different things and if you don't have the context perfect then ? ? ?

Once you learn the particles and conjugations etc it makes sense though since there are only so many of them and they stick out, it's just a bitch to learn (and to look up translations- Korean is loving awful on Google Translate). Whereas with Chinese it seems like the compound words would be an issue even for native speakers.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Would have made sense to introduce word spacing when they made the switch to horizontal writing, but no point bitching about it now.

Is classical Chinese as big into compound words? Dunno if it was as big of an issue back then.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

(Agrippa didn't write that one)

Can't even do his own signage? :sad:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

Are spaces not even used by younger Chinese and Japanese?

I almost never see spaces used in Chinese by friends/students.

Korean Google Translate protip, Google Translate has a lot more experience going Korean-Japanese and Japanese-English, so if you translate Korean -> Japanese -> English or vice versa you usually end up with a better translation.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 4, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

P-Mack posted:

Would have made sense to introduce word spacing when they made the switch to horizontal writing, but no point bitching about it now.

Is classical Chinese as big into compound words? Dunno if it was as big of an issue back then.

No, classical Chinese has less use for spaces.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:raise: Could you post said string of logograms?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

I almost never see spaces used in Chinese by friends/students.

Periods and commas do exist in Chinese but are rarely used except in books or for educational purposes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Periods and commas are universal in Chinese.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah.

Arglebargle III posted:

Lack of spacing in Chinese is a serious problem because modern Mandarin uses compound words so extensively. The first step, mentally, to reading any compound word is to identify that it's a compound in the first place. Mandarin uses 2 and 3 character words for most of its nouns. A spacing system (or use of brackets for compounds or something) would help comprehensibility. Notice in pinyin words are spaced and compounds left together and it's a big help.

First up, I said it wasn't a problem for me, as a counterpoint to what GF said :shobon: I agree Chinese could use spacing, but it's hardly the most unintuitive thing about Chinese writing. However, I don't think the comparison to pinyin works because pinyin isn't a writing system per se, it's intended to help pronunciation, and the spacing helps by showing where the pauses are and when not to run tones into each other, etc. This is opposite to what I just said about word spacing in Latin and I'd guess it's because Latin is inflected, so it's easier to spot the ends of words. I'm going to reply to some other stuff in the Chinese thread btw.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

An excellent argument in favour of not spacing.

Koramei posted:

Are spaces not even used by younger Chinese and Japanese?

Not in my experience.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eszett engma posted:

:raise: Could you post said string of logograms?

As far as I know there isn't one, I just made it up as an example based on my attempts to Google Translate the captions on an old postcard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Periods and commas are universal in Chinese.

Yeah punctuation is normal . It also prevents many Chinese people from doing it properly in English ,because we punctuate differently and students are profoundly confused by this «spacing is also a problem» ,and it can be nearly impossible to get through 。

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Once you can read Chinese characters fairly well you end up understanding why they haven't added spaces. It just doesn't feel very necessary. Same with Japanese.

Korean is a different story though and spaces help a lot in parsing what's going on.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

I like where this is going and this is totally the thread for you to say more.

The disagreement as to whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son is a great example of using a minor disagreement as an excuse to finally say "gently caress you, we're breaking up," a tactic known to relationships to this day.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OnceyoucanreadEnglishfairlywellyouendupunderstandingwhytheyhaventaddedspaces.
Itjustdoesntfeelverynecessary.

I don't think I'll ever be swayed by the "I can do it, therefore it is not inconvenient," argument.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
no why

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't think I'll ever be swayed by the "I can do it, therefore it is not inconvenient," argument.

Tmkthngsmrntrstngrmvthvwls

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Arglebargle III posted:

Sometimes hilariously so: https://www.whorepresents.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Thai is the most absurd writing system I have seen. It looks like it shouldn't be but read about how it actually works and you'll be shocked anyone there is literate.