Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I recently finished Battle Cry of Freedom and I had a question about Andersonville prison in Georgia. The book spends time explaining how bad the conditions were and how this was a known issue in the north, but the prison wasn't liberated until May 1865 when the war was over.

I was wondering why the Union didn't make it a priority to liberate the camp earlier. Was Sherman stretched too thin to divert south?

Here is a really good but poorly formatted essay on this topic. Basically 1) Hood was still a danger at that point, 2) he didn't want 30,000 weak, sick men attached to his army that was operating with precarious supply lines deep in enemy territory.

In related news the expedition to relieve the camp was an absolute gong show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Book recommendation time: I am that loving prat who reads books while walking. I have walked enough this summer to finish Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947, and it is really good. From a milhist pov, it is interesting to see how the performance of the Prussian military ebbs and flows and how political situations affect it.

Edit: the part that deals with the 30 YW is kind of weirdly shortish. Bierjörg was a poo poo Elector.

Seconding this. It was great beach reading.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

We don't do pacific air combat enough, other than occasionally rehashing midway and the general state of things before the hellcat.

Many moons ago posted:

Japan has a wide variety of aircraft. I've effort-posted a few times on them that I could try to fish from the archives if people don't mind me reposting content from a different thread.

Linking single posts:

Mitsubishi Ki-67 Hiryu
Mitsubishi B5M Mabel
Kawasaki Ki-119
Kawasaki Ki-64
Aichi B7A Ryusei
Mitsubishi A6M Reisen
Mitsubishi Ki-83
Kawasaki Ki-100

Let me know if any of these don't work or require Archives, and I'll repost them here.

I'm always up to talking about planes. May not have a lot on Japanese Air Force tactics, unfortunately.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAL posted:

So, this stuff. Green glass, a lot of the time with merengue-like blobs on the sides.
http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/glassA.htm
it's everywhere in early modern art! even in the humblest settings, as in this Franck engraving:

why? could these people afford something like this?

last weekend an english reenactor told me that yes they could--he had just read an article saying that according to ship manifests, central european green glass was so cheap that they shoveled it into english ships as ballast. they'd shovel it back out at the end of the voyage and sell any of it that didn't break for a few cents a piece, at a profit. the soldier in that picture could have afforded the glass he's holding, and probably more than one of them.

so i could have a glass just like the one in that engraving, like this

but it'd break within minutes so i won't. :(

Glass was so cheap that a widely accepted method of showing respect in Poland was to toast somebody and break the glass immediately after.

If you wanted to show someone mad respect, you would break the glass against your own dumb drunk forehead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tevery Best posted:

Glass was so cheap that a widely accepted method of showing respect in Poland was to toast somebody and break the glass immediately after.

If you wanted to show someone mad respect, you would break the glass against your own dumb drunk forehead.

NOte that the glass we're talking about here is more like wine-glass thickness than pint glass thickness.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seconding this. It was great beach reading.

I read it on a business trip when I had nothing else to do, good time. Made me think the Hohenzollerns would have been pretty good at CK2, always keeping an eye out for claims and inheritances while giving no fucks about contiguous borders.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

on the first chapter now on that recommendation; spot the part where i raised an eyebrow

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

you go to war with the Wettin you have, not the Wettin you wish you have
wait a sec, Kemper Boyd, are you talking about Johann Georg of Saxony, who was the guy who had that nickname, or Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg? you've confused me

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 4, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

apparently some of the people of the amazon were so dismayed by the early modern european practice of medical/instrumental cannibalism (which I posted about in the last thread), in the 1970s their descendants still called the author of this New Yorker article a pischtaco, someone who wants to steal the fat from human bodies.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/08/08/an-isolated-tribe-emerges-from-the-rain-forest

This is from a few pages ago (I'm still catching up with the new thread), but interestingly the Lakota Sioux epithet for a white person is "wasicu" which translates roughly to "steals the fat." I dunno if that's related but seems plausible.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm always up to talking about planes. May not have a lot on Japanese Air Force tactics, unfortunately.

Yeah. I don't have a ton of that yet either, I'll need to decant sunburst into my head before I get rolling, and probably ought to do at least some light reading of the start of Dull's battle history of the IJN. Current plan is to do WWII start through Midway first, because I've just about got a firm base to work from.

Problem is my attention span comes in a little orange cylinder with a child-safe top, so I'm real vulnerable to slowdowns.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

This is from a few pages ago (I'm still catching up with the new thread), but interestingly the Lakota Sioux epithet for a white person is "wasicu" which translates roughly to "steals the fat." I dunno if that's related but seems plausible.
when specifically did they first meat our ancestors

edit: typo, but i'm sticking with it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

Yeah. I don't have a ton of that yet either, I'll need to decant sunburst into my head before I get rolling, and probably ought to do at least some light reading of the start of Dull's battle history of the IJN.

Problem is my attention span comes in a little orange cylinder with a child-safe top, so I'm real vulnerable to slowdowns.

That's why I tend to keep my posts short. There's so much to talk about, too, which makes it hard to choose just one thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

when specifically did they first meat our ancestors

edit: typo, but i'm sticking with it

heh

I dunno for sure, the Sioux peoples were semi-nomadic and lived in what's now Minnesota, they got horses in the 18th century and moved westward as a result of pressure from white settlers and other tribes being displaced.

The first direct contact with Europeans would have been with French traders, so whenever that was a thing, Wikipedia says

quote:

The first recorded encounter between the Sioux and the French occurred when Radisson and Groseilliers reached what is now Wisconsin during the winter of 1659-60

Contact with Anglo-Americans would have been much later, the Lewis and Clark expedition was 1804-1806. But if taking fat from dead human bodies is a thing for the French in the early-mid 1600s it's plausible that the Lakota word is derived from the practice. Even without direct contact you'd definitely get second-hand accounts of Europeans earlier than that.

Edit: I forget the actual Lakota word since it's pretty rarely used, but there's another epithet for mixed-race (white and Lakota) people that means literally "translator." The French traders made a deliberate practice of marrying Native American women so they could have a translator and multilingual kids. Many, many Native American families have French surnames today.

Edit2: I remembered, iyeska = translator (mixed-race person)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: I forget the actual Lakota word since it's pretty rarely used, but there's another epithet for mixed-race (white and Lakota) people that means literally "translator." The French traders made a deliberate practice of marrying Native American women so they could have a translator and multilingual kids. Many, many Native American families have French surnames today.
this has nothing to do with anything, but i wondered why, if "to translate" in german is uebersetzen, "translator" is dolmetsch/dolmetscher. turns out that word's hungarian. the hungarians, like everyone else in central europe, got it from turkish.

appropriately enough.

edit: and all western europeans made medicines and magical substances out of fat/bones/blood/etc in the 1600s, so far as i know

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 4, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

edit: and all western europeans made medicines and magical substances out of fat/bones/blood/etc in the 1600s, so far as i know

Then it's plausible that practice is the origin of the Lakota word for white people / outsiders. I'm not well studied enough in traditional Lakota medicine (magic) and spirituality to say whether they'd have viewed it as taboo, but it's not something they practiced and they'd definitely have taken note of it either from direct contact or second-hand.

Edit: traditional Lakota belief is after a person dies their spirit travels to join their ancestors in the spirit world (the heavens, stars are spirit people). They either buried their dead or built a scaffold and left the body elevated in open air. Grave goods were a big thing so the deceased could take them along to the spirit world.

I'd imagine Europeans cannabilizing corpses for magic and medicine would've been pretty taboo.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 4, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pellisworth posted:

AKA Métis. At least, that's been my understanding of it. I really need to start reading up on that...

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

wait a sec, Kemper Boyd, are you talking about Johann Georg of Saxony, who was the guy who had that nickname, or Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg? you've confused me

I was talking about Georg Wilhelm, confused the nicknames because the Brandenburgian dude was an inefficient alcoholic too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

I was talking about Georg Wilhelm, confused the nicknames because the Brandenburgian dude was an inefficient alcoholic too.
i thought he was an inefficient dude with a wound that wouldn't heal, was he also an alcoholic?

speaking of alcoholics, who do you think created a more toxic working environment, wallenstein or baner?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Uhh...

http://bfy.tw/74TK

Native American languages aren't my sub-area, but that stinks of folk etymology so I'd go with the bundle of sticks/special powers one.

(One day I will teach you all to look up etymologies. One day. )

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uhh...

http://bfy.tw/74TK

Native American languages aren't my sub-area, but that stinks of folk etymology so I'd go with the bundle of sticks/special powers one.

(One day I will teach you all to look up etymologies. One day. )

Did you have a specific source with a credible reference? I checked the first few and the notion of it as a folk etymology is unsourced.

I grew up on a Lakota reservation, learned some of it in school there, and have heard tribal elders and probably the most respected Lakota writer and cultural teacher of this generation (Albert White Hat Sr.) who also wrote a dictionary and orthography for the language, give "steals the fat" as the etymology.

Your point in general stands about looking up etymologies, this just happens to be one I've heard from several native speaking tribal elders, so I'm sticking with it.

Edit: I mean, even if it is a folk etymology it's widely used and has cultural significance in suggesting how white people are viewed (not positively). It is probably one of the most common words you'll hear living on the rez, it's one of the few bits even non-speakers will regularly use.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 4, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don't have a source, just read through the first page of the linked google search.

That said, I'm a professional etymologist and historical linguist and the 'steals the fat' etymology reeks of made-up-by-layman : real etymologies don't have cute stories like that almost ever, and it's a thing I have to bang into my students' heads really hard.

Also, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but that's actually a terrible source for etymologies ; being a speaker of a language, even a very educated and well respected one, does not actually make you good at historical linguistics, it's like saying you know biology because you're alive.

I want to look into it with sources/energy levels that aren't "my phone" and "just coming off of 3 weeks working 70 hours", but if that etymology is true I will be loving astonished.

Edit gently caress since you edited : that's legit and a great point sociologically and people still might be thinking of it in that way, totally true ; however, no matter how people feel doesn't change actual facts. Noting perceptions is cool and good of course, but if we're actually talking about what actually happened it's irrelevant.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 4, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol, I'm the guy who goes to "Google this for me" rather than linking some articles/websites.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't have a source, just read through the first page of the linked google search.

That said, I'm a professional etymologist and historical linguist and the 'steals the fat' etymology reeks of made-up-by-layman : real etymologies don't have cute stories like that almost ever, and it's a thing I have to bang into my students' heads really hard.

Also, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but that's actually a terrible source for etymologies ; being a speaker of a language, even a very educated and well respected one, does not actually make you good at historical linguistics, it's like saying you know biology because you're alive.

I want to look into it with sources/energy levels that aren't "my phone" and "just coming off of 3 weeks working 70 hours", but if that etymology is true I will be loving astonished.

Edit gently caress since you edited : that's legit and a great point sociologically and people still might be thinking of it in that way, totally true ; however, no matter how people feel doesn't change actual facts. Noting perceptions is cool and good of course, but if we're actually talking about what actually happened it's irrelevant.

I PM'd you on this, to end the derail I agree. I've taken classes from Albert White Hat and he didn't know the etymologies of some words, particularly relating to cosmology, mythology, and religion. He would say "the elders told me its name was X, which I think is a contraction of Y."

As several of your sources point out, Lakota is hugely into contracting words, word-play, and puns. Even if it's not the actual historic etymology, it's widely accepted within the community and has cultural significance.

If you're interested I have contacts at the local tribal college and could ask their Lakota Studies dept about it, let's continue this in PMs so as not to poo poo up tank and pikechat.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Guys let's crowdsource an academic paper out of this.

edit: I'll make the website

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm really more of an "ideas" guy

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Quick, what's Lakotian for "Pike Squares"?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Paper title: "The New World: what is it with that place and fat?"

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

"Fat in the New World: An American experience" :grin:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
America is a couple centuries behind Europe on realizing the magical properties of human fat.

Flanker Pylon
Jul 22, 2007

Spiderfist Island posted:

I have a question for the Napoleonics in the thread about armament production.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the French Revolution / Napoleonic Wars saw the largest armies fielded in Europe since at least Roman times, beginning with Carnot's levée en masse. Now I know that China had been fielding armies that large or larger for centuries (assuming that state histories aren't embellishing in many cases), but these Chinese forces weren't based around firearms as the primary weapon for infantry like European armies. How did the various nations involved in the wars manage to produce enough rifles and other guns for such a major army buildup in a pre-industrial society? Were out-of-date guns or even pikes/crossbows/etc used to fill outpaced demand for armaments?

In addition to what has already said, I'll add a few things.

I haven't heard of crossbows being used, but pikes were issued in 1812 to the Russian opolchenie (militia), but they were not expected to do much in the way of fighting. Their job was mostly support-based.

There's also the fact that as far as the average soldier was concerned, a flintlock was usually a flintlock unless the caliber of your ammunition couldn't fit the caliber of your musket. (The British could use captured French ammunition but not vice-versa, since British muskets and thus ammunition were of a larger caliber than would fit in a French musket barrel.) That meant that recycling whatever you captured or looted could suffice.

As such, when the French captured Vienna in 1805 and again in 1809, they availed themselves to Austrian-made weapons (which were based on French models in any case and were regarded as being of superior quality) as they chose. On the other side, the Russians captured gobs of French weapons after 1812; in one regiment, just over half of their muskets were of Russian manufacture (and even then a couple of different models) while the rest were predominantly captured French muskets with a sprinkling of Prussian ones.

ETA: I can't do tags

Flanker Pylon fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jobbo_Fett posted:

OK, here's a question about planes. Namely, the Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' flying boat. I know little about the H8K, but for some reason whenever I see a blurb about it, it's described as "one of the best flying boats of the war." Do you know why this is? Because it looks like a Japanese Sunderland to me.

e: wow, the H8K's engines have like double the output of the Sunderland

e2: And it's a third faster, and it has more than double the range - WTF?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 5, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol, I'm the guy who goes to "Google this for me" rather than linking some articles/websites.

Are you new to the concept of rhetoric?

Cause it's a thing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

After one month of camping in Oklahoma i have managed to read most of Dreadnought (most I had to skip some of the later sudden biography chapters. theres only 5 chapters left, no i dont give a gently caress about baron von fuckboi, diplomatic minister. go back to talking about ships dammit!)

Jackie Fisher is amazing. He so... spazzy compared to what you would expect from a british admiral.

I like the park where he paces around with a sign on his neck that says GIVE ME WORK :saddowns:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, here's a question about planes. Namely, the Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' flying boat. I know little about the H8K, but for some reason whenever I see a blurb about it, it's described as "one of the best flying boats of the war." Do you know why this is? Because it looks like a Japanese Sunderland to me.

e: wow, the H8K's engines have like double the output of the Sunderland

If I remember correctly, and I'll have to double-check with what books, but I seem to recall that it had really good flight characteristics as well as a good hull shape. It could fly huge distances and had a lot of defensive guns to protect it, 10 guns, half of those cannons, give it a mean punch!

Double checking with Wikipedia, its article is rather short, but I do have at least one of the books that cites the "Best Flying Boat" line so I'll make sure to check the exact reason(s) they give.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xerxes17 posted:

Quick, what's Lakotian for "Pike Squares"?

The Lakota were badass horse archers who got high off of sweat lodges, sage incense, exhaustion, food and sleep deprivation with bonus blood sacrifice (sun dance) because they didn't have alcohol or other intoxicants. They ain't about no pussy pike-and-shot gout-ridden drunkard European warfare.

I was actually chatting with HEY GAL earlier and looked up the Lakota for "gun," it's mázawakȟáŋ which is a compound of metal + powerful.

In another lifetime I'd have studied Native American history and the frontier conflicts :unsmith:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

The Lakota were badass horse archers who got high off of sweat lodges, sage incense, exhaustion, food and sleep deprivation with bonus blood sacrifice (sun dance) because they didn't have alcohol or other intoxicants. They ain't about no pussy pike-and-shot gout-ridden drunkard European warfare.

I was actually chatting with HEY GAL earlier and looked up the Lakota for "gun," it's mázawakȟáŋ which is a compound of metal + powerful.

In another lifetime I'd have studied Native American history and the frontier conflicts :unsmith:

whats stopping you? A library card and an amazon wishlist can take you a long way.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

If you're interested I have contacts at the local tribal college and could ask their Lakota Studies dept about it, let's continue this in PMs so as not to poo poo up tank and pikechat.

This is the opposite of making GBS threads up though.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Wrt. folk etymologies, guns that are made only to wound, and stuff; many teachers, drill sergeants, profs etc. don't know poo poo.

Eg. my religious education teacher told the class how the medieval warfare was clean and fair, because the knights were Christians.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Drill instructors are the single biggest source of "the Geneva Conventions prohibit using .50 cals against people, but you can shoot their uniform" type bullshit in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm always amazed at the billshit about guns some soldiers will spout with an air of absolute confidence.

It's fine that they don't know. It's a tool that is part of their job. I don't expect my cab driver to be a master mechanic.

But hoo boy God help you if some 19 year old lance corporal digs in and insists that .50 bmg will tear off a mans arm with a near miss because by God he saw that poo poo in falluja and what do you know civilian

Edit : still not as good as the time my wife's estranged aunt showed up at thanksgiving. I'd never met her in six years of marriage and, upon learning I "was interested in German history" proceeded to talk my ear off about how hitler lived in Chile after the war. Her coworkers mom was from there you see and she was a housekeeper for his half Chilean son.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 5, 2016