Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Horikoshi was told about people figuring it out! He's leaving hints!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

With that said I really really like how Ochako's feelings for Deku are developing. Having her float around like a spaz and then look out and see him there which calms her down and makes her last panel all fuzzy and dreamlike... poo poo, that's romantic as poo poo, I can believe in that relationship, poo poo! Good manga!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I asked for more Monoma, and I got more Monoma.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ochako better tell Deku soon or else he'll...probably still be oblivious.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I'm way too happy about the fact that Monoma's entire hero identity, including the costume, is a Fantomas reference.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Green Intern posted:

She's still trying to figure poo poo out. At this point she is still in denial confused.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Green Intern posted:

tbf, he's got a bit of a crush on her as well. So they're like both oblivious of the other's crush on them.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"It's really not like that ... since I love Mineta."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mirage posted:

Nobody could possibly love Mineta.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mirage posted:

And then Uraraka wakes up, screaming. She's noticeably off for the entire day.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Terper posted:

Horikoshi was told about people figuring it out! He's leaving hints!!

I know youre joking, but chapters are finished like 7-8 weeks ahead of time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KoB posted:

I know youre joking, but chapters are finished like 7-8 weeks ahead of time.

Tell that to the guy who does Hunter x Hunter. Wife has done how many series of Sailor Moon now, and he can't even finish ONE SERIES?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's finished two. Yu Yu Hakusho and Level E. Togashi is currently in really bad health, so I'm a bit more lenient on him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blackheart posted:

I asked for more Monoma, and I got more Monoma.

ask for more Ojiro next

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tell that to the guy who does Hunter x Hunter. Wife has done how many series of Sailor Moon now, and he can't even finish ONE SERIES?

He's finished like three series, including the beloved classic Yu Yu Hakusho. Apparently he has some of the next batch of chapters done but he waiting to see if he can continue long enough to finish a volume before letting them be published.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the guy is actually ill and is apparently frequently bedridden, going by his comments in Jump and such. So, yeah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Miura, on the other hand, has no excuse aside from being a Jojolion rock person.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's interesting that after the last few arcs have all dealt with actual villains and other people we're going back to another School as the 'bad guys'

Curious to see if he can keep up the feeling of threat even while acknowledging the stakes aren't quite as high.

It'll be like all my childhood sports/camp movies were the ragtag band of misfits take on the preppy snobs from across town.

Next week the other class will try to kidnap UA's mascot, only to realize that he's also the principal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the motivations of the villains are sufficiently vague and high-concept that the stakes for a simple competition feel much more concrete.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that intense guy is this comic's Rock Lee: a guy with either no quirk or a really lovely one who is insanely dangerous entirely because he's so loving INTENSE!!! and he serves to make Deku feel like poo poo for depending on One for All

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

He's finished two. Yu Yu Hakusho and Level E. Togashi is currently in really bad health, so I'm a bit more lenient on him.

Begemot posted:

He's finished like three series, including the beloved classic Yu Yu Hakusho. Apparently he has some of the next batch of chapters done but he waiting to see if he can continue long enough to finish a volume before letting them be published.

Excuse me, I believe that's dinner calling.

Mmm, shoe.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's interesting that after the last few arcs have all dealt with actual villains and other people we're going back to another School as the 'bad guys'

Curious to see if he can keep up the feeling of threat even while acknowledging the stakes aren't quite as high.

Also wondering which members of the class are going to fail, since he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd do the whole 'Everybody passes!' thing, even though that's kind of what he did with Eraserhead.

It's possible for them all to pass. The failure rate is for Japan as a whole, not UA, after all.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I want Monoma to pass so he can keep on harassing Class A.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I didn't expect a joke like this in a manga.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just for clarity, those who don't pass aren't being expelled or anything. The test is for a preliminary license, so there's no punishment for failure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i love Orc Teacher

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

uh... heroes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wonder who'll get their licenses? The class's top tier (Deku, Bakugou, Yaoyorizui, Iida, Uraraka, and Todoroki) seem the obvious ones. Probably Asui, Kirishima, and Tokoyami too. We'll likely get some surprise successes and failures, too. Maybe, say, Kaminari gets it and Bakugou doesn't?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i feel like Bakugou needs to get his if we're supposed to see him as Deku's better or equal, regardless of how unfit he is for the title of "hero" (he isn't unfit at all, he's perfect)

i'd rather it be like the chuunin exams where only 1-2 people get them, it seems like it'd split the class a lot to have almost half of them get something like that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yaoyorozu failing seems like a strong possibility since it would be entirely consistent with her character arc.

Hagakure will of course pass off screen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't expect a joke like this in a manga.

the visual language of internet humor stretches across borders

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

the visual language of internet humor stretches across borders

I don't get it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i feel like Bakugou needs to get his if we're supposed to see him as Deku's better or equal, regardless of how unfit he is for the title of "hero" (he isn't unfit at all, he's perfect)

i'd rather it be like the chuunin exams where only 1-2 people get them, it seems like it'd split the class a lot to have almost half of them get something like that.

I feel that Bakugou's headed for a big turning point, though, where he's forced to confront the mismatch between who he is and who he wants to be. Flunking his provisional hero license due to causing massive collateral damage seems like a pretty good place to put that step in his arc.

He's Deku's rival, but rivals can fail, so long as they get a kick in the pants from it and come back even stronger and more determined. Losing out on his license seems ideal for that - it's embarrassing, and maybe knocks him out of the picture for an arc, but it's not a particularly big deal in the long term.

As for the provisional license being so generously applied, this series is unusually heavy on the group battles for a shonen fighter. We need a decent-sized herd of characters in Team Pro to allow that to keep happening.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that actually seems kind of weird in retrospect is that apparently most of Class A was stronger than your average villain from the very beginning, judging from the way they were mopping up all the guys they fought during the USJ arc. So it's kind of weird if they can't get a provisional license given that they were capable of defeating your average street villain while weaker than they currently are.

I'll be curious if they show the average ages of people taking this exam. All we've seen so far is the other school's class being in the same grade (assuming they're all in the same grade as the loud guy). "People of all ages and levels of experience take this exam" is the only way it will make sense for any of Class A to not pass, given that they're explicitly the best young heroes in the entire country.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm confident that Mina will get her provisional license.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I feel bad for All Might. :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that actually seems kind of weird in retrospect is that apparently most of Class A was stronger than your average villain from the very beginning, judging from the way they were mopping up all the guys they fought during the USJ arc. So it's kind of weird if they can't get a provisional license given that they were capable of defeating your average street villain while weaker than they currently are.

I'll be curious if they show the average ages of people taking this exam. All we've seen so far is the other school's class being in the same grade (assuming they're all in the same grade as the loud guy). "People of all ages and levels of experience take this exam" is the only way it will make sense for any of Class A to not pass, given that they're explicitly the best young heroes in the entire country.

Most of them have enormous raw power, yes, but there are presumably more criteria for being a pro hero than that. It's why I think Bakugou might finally be in trouble here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's silly that the provisional license is played up so much when the kids are probably more competent than the loving mook sidekicks and mid-tier pro-heroes who were getting loving wrecked by B-class Noumus.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ActionZero posted:

Poor guy just isn't used to being the one who needs protecting. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up throwing himself into a dangerous situation to save someone just out if instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ActionZero posted:

I really love this panel. As a reader, I already knew that of course All Might is sort of out of the picture now. He'll never fight again. He's been forced into retirement and put on the sidelines. His time is over, and everyone knows it.

But of course All Might still needs to come to grips with that. This guy's been unstoppable for at least two decades. All of the most serious threats to his life that he's ever faced, we've seen him face on screen, and seen him overcome them. It's going to take a while for him to come to grips with the fact he isn't Superman anymore. And I really needed this panel to realize that.

So what I guess I'm saying is

Rhonne posted:

Poor guy just isn't used to being the one who needs protecting. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up throwing himself into a dangerous situation to save someone just out if instinct.

He is DEFINITELY going to do this.