Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The lease is their problem and the fact they haven't notified them of ownership change any problems have been created by them.

I'm still trying to grow grass in the middle of winter. There's so much rain at the moment that the grass shoots are being washed around so it's looking patchy. Can't wait until all this rain settles down to get work done outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Option C: Just don't pay it, it's their lease, their problem

Who leases a water heater :psyduck:

E: you may want to get larger depending on family size, but gas replenishes real quick anyways

I dunno. His reasoning was that it's a somewhat tricky spot to get a hot water heater into (bottom floor, probably 50ft below street level), but I think it can be done without too many problems. If my $400 estimate is near correct then even if I had to replace it every eight years I'll be $300 ahead of leasing though. They owned the house for 28 years and owed over $200k on it (I think that would've been about what it cost initially) so its possible they don't make great money decisions.

I don't think I've ever managed to run a gas hot water heater out of hot water, although I've admittedly been in one bathroom places until this house.

Devian666 posted:

The lease is their problem and the fact they haven't notified them of ownership change any problems have been created by them.

Yea, I suspect I could really make myself a pain and make them pay for a new hot water heater (and be in the right, since they said the heater was included), but I'll just terminate the lease and get a new one installed.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

On the topic of water heaters, the water heater in the house I bought in April is in the attic. I had the owners replace the unit with a brand new one as a contingency, and they did, however there is still a constant low-grade terror in the back of my mind about 40 gallons of water dumping into my attic/ceiling/insulation.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

-S- posted:

On the topic of water heaters, the water heater in the house I bought in April is in the attic. I had the owners replace the unit with a brand new one as a contingency, and they did, however there is still a constant low-grade terror in the back of my mind about 40 gallons of water dumping into my attic/ceiling/insulation.

You could put a drain pan under it and have it tied into the house drains or I guess run outside an appropriate distance. Not cheap but probably cheaper than moving the heater.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Our kitchen remodel turned into an oil>natural gas conversion, furnace replacement, water heater replacement, laundry room remodel, downstairs bathroom remodel...

And now we've decided to just remove the furnace chimney entirely so we can relocate the fridge and reclaim some space. That means the roofer needs to come back out and do a custom patch.

Hell yeah I hate money. This kitchen better suck my dick.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

I didn't want to spray anything on the circuit breaker so I wound up doing the primitive method. Propped open the box and found a broom. Once they were sleeping late in the evening I managed to knock it out of the box. Pissed them off something fierce, but they're no longer on top of the circuit breakers. Now to fix the cover of the circuit breakers so wasps can't get in there again.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The house I bought is full of spiders. I realize that this means I need to take care of the bugs that are luring the spiders in, but I also need to get rid of all these loving spiders, because I cannot do any laundry or store anything in the basement until these loving spiders are gone. The Internet says to vacuum them up, but what do I do once I have a vacuum filled with a teeming mass of hairy legs and mandibles? Set it on fire?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

GameCube posted:

The house I bought is full of spiders. I realize that this means I need to take care of the bugs that are luring the spiders in, but I also need to get rid of all these loving spiders, because I cannot do any laundry or store anything in the basement until these loving spiders are gone. The Internet says to vacuum them up, but what do I do once I have a vacuum filled with a teeming mass of hairy legs and mandibles? Set it on fire?

Go buy those spider glue traps they sell at hardware stores, etc. They're fairly cheap and work well at trapping at least a portion of your spiders.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GameCube posted:

You throw the vacuum bag away. The suggestion only works if you don't have a bagless vacuum

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GameCube posted:

Find a neighbor you don't like and release them on their house.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
More important, the spiders may exist due to a surplus of food. What is there that the spiders find so attractive?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

More important, the spiders may exist due to a surplus of food. What is there that the spiders find so attractive?
thank you for your insight

GameCube posted:

I realize that this means I need to take care of the bugs that are luring the spiders in, but

My vacuum is bagless, but it's also a piece of poo poo that I've been wanting to replace anyway, and I haven't quite maxed out all my credit cards since closing on the house.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Vacuum chat: Shark is the way to go. My $150 shark is better than the $600 Dyson we got as a gift.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

-S- posted:

Vacuum chat: Shark is the way to go. My $150 shark is better than the $600 Dyson we got as a gift.

Ditto the love for Shark. We considered putting a Dyson on our registry for poo poo and giggles. Instead we held off and bought a Shark. It's very effective, perhaps not as overbuilt or durable, but as long as you're not beating the crap out of it, it's fine.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What the hell are you guys talking about do the spiders breed in the vacuum bag and then millions burst out and overwhelm your house or something oh god oh god oh god

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Full disclosure, never tried shark, but once I upgraded to a Dyson, from some k-mart or walmart brand, I noticed a marked difference.

Shark vs Dyson I can not comment.

Bargain bin vs Dyson, Dyson wins every loving time.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

-S- posted:

Love my Shark. I replaced a G4 Kirby with it and wouldn't consider another brand these days - maybe something else will be better in the future though. Compared to my friends Dyson's it's more reliable (they could also be abusive to their vacuums), equally effective, and less expensive. Costco offers a 'lifetime warranty' too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about do the spiders breed in the vacuum bag and then millions burst out and overwhelm your house or something oh god oh god oh god

No, calm down. The suggestion was to use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the spiders and then dispose of the vacuum bag in the garbage; then the spiders are gone.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

No, calm down. The suggestion was to use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the spiders and then dispose of the vacuum bag in the garbage; then the spiders are gone.

I agree nothing can go wrong.

Not sure why everyone gets all worried about spiders though, there are some huge spiders that turn up at my place.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But vacuums aren't brooms

Like you don't think that the spiders are going to escape while the vacuum is running, do you? Spiders wind up in the bottom of the bag, and once there they're very unlikely to escape easily because there's only a small opening that they're probably not going to find, and they definitely won't be able to escape while the vacuum is running. Turn off the vacuum, take the bag to the trash, take the trash to the curb

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Full disclosure, never tried shark, but once I upgraded to a Dyson, from some k-mart or walmart brand, I noticed a marked difference.

Shark vs Dyson I can not comment.

Bargain bin vs Dyson, Dyson wins every loving time.

Oh no question Dyson is a good vacuum and a $70 Bissel is a complete waste of $70, but it's not worth the money; It's not $450 better than the Shark, and in fact not at all in terms of cleaning - my Shark out performs it every time. The Dyson is easier to clean/take apart/replace brushes/etc., but it doesn't clean better.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But what if your vacuum has a hole in the filters and all the baby spider get blown out in a cloud of baby spiders that cover your body and lungs in baby spiders?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

But what if your vacuum has a hole in the filters and all the baby spider get blown out in a cloud of baby spiders that cover your body and lungs in baby spiders?

This guy knows what's up.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you've got carpet and furry animals, I highly recommend this eureka. I got it because my Miele's brushroll was constantly clogging with dog hair (like, I'd have to clean it out once or twice per room), so I figured the self cleaning brushroll would make things easier. Turns out I don't even need the brushroll clean with it and it pulls absurd amounts of dog hair out of my carpets.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Zhentar posted:

If you've got carpet and furry animals, I highly recommend this eureka. I got it because my Miele's brushroll was constantly clogging with dog hair (like, I'd have to clean it out once or twice per room), so I figured the self cleaning brushroll would make things easier. Turns out I don't even need the brushroll clean with it and it pulls absurd amounts of dog hair out of my carpets.

I have four goddamn cats, so I might buy this. My old vacuum is a Eureka though and it's kind of lovely, but I didn't maintain it at all. Now that I'm a grown adult I'm going to have to learn how to maintain poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I use a combo of a mini shop vac for hardwood floors, and a 20 year old upright bag hoover I bought for $50 when it was new for carpets, and they work fine. And I have six cats.

That said, when I was a kid my folks had a Rainbow and holy poo poo that thing was great. Dumping out the water was gross, but there was zero dust involved, ever, and it never broke down, either.

e. I kind of want to get an upright that can do steam cleaning, though, just to actually wash the hardwood floors (they're sealed with varethane so they're totally waterproof anyway) because that might be easier than mopping after vacuuming.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So I'm a recent homeowner and I've, uh, I've never mowed a lawn before. How much does having your neighbor's cuttings wind up on your side of the property upset you? I'd rather not bag the cuttings, but I also have a vague idea of "lawnwork" and I'm nervous about coming off as an inconsiderate neighbor so soon after moving in. I was kind of excited about finally having a lawn to take care of, but as the weekend approaches I'm filled with the same dread someone might have before going on stage to demonstrate something they've never done before.

My mother-in-law saw my elderly female neighbor walk across the street to "teach" another new homeowner how to mow their lawn last weekend, and that's certainly not something I want to invite into my life. How do I fake being a competent lawnsmith while I learn to walk (behind a mower)?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Your neighbors will all pray for your death no matter how considerate you are so don't stress out about pleasing people concerned with grass clippings.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Elephanthead posted:

Your neighbors will all pray for your death no matter how considerate you are so don't stress out about pleasing people concerned with grass clippings.

Excellent, thank you for clearing this up.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GameCube posted:

I have four goddamn cats, so I might buy this. My old vacuum is a Eureka though and it's kind of lovely, but I didn't maintain it at all. Now that I'm a grown adult I'm going to have to learn how to maintain poo poo.

My first vacuum (~10 years ago) was a Eureka and it was an absolute turd. So I was nervous about getting this one, but chanced it out of desperation. It's performance exceeded not just my expectations, but my hopes and pulls up far more than I thought possible.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

So I'm a recent homeowner and I've, uh, I've never mowed a lawn before. How much does having your neighbor's cuttings wind up on your side of the property upset you? I'd rather not bag the cuttings, but I also have a vague idea of "lawnwork" and I'm nervous about coming off as an inconsiderate neighbor so soon after moving in. I was kind of excited about finally having a lawn to take care of, but as the weekend approaches I'm filled with the same dread someone might have before going on stage to demonstrate something they've never done before.

My mother-in-law saw my elderly female neighbor walk across the street to "teach" another new homeowner how to mow their lawn last weekend, and that's certainly not something I want to invite into my life. How do I fake being a competent lawnsmith while I learn to walk (behind a mower)?

If you're really worried about the clippings you could mow a few laps around the perimeter with the clipping chute or whatever it's called pointing in towards your lawn (so probably clockwise) first and then switch to back and forth lines or whatever.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

LawfulWaffle posted:

Get a mulching mower/blade, so that there aren't any piles of cuttings to worry about. Set your mowing height as high as it will go (~4"), most people cut their lawns way too short and it really hurts the grass.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

If you're really worried about the clippings you could mow a few laps around the perimeter with the clipping chute or whatever it's called pointing in towards your lawn (so probably clockwise) first and then switch to back and forth lines or whatever.

You should do this anyways so it's easier to have areas to turn around at the end of a row/column.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I was kind of excited about finally having a lawn to take care of

The most new homeowner thing ever.

In the spring I typically have to bag and dump (the old lawn was more moss than grass in the spring), but in the summer I can mulch away without much issue. Obviously YMMV depending on location, watering, etc.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What do you all think about mulching vs bagging? My folks always had me bag as a kid and I've done that in my adult life in rentals too.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Zhentar posted:

Get a mulching mower/blade, so that there aren't any piles of cuttings to worry about. Set your mowing height as high as it will go (~4"), most people cut their lawns way too short and it really hurts the grass.

Yeah, 3-4" is ideal for most varieties. From what I've heard some more southern grasses may do best a bit shorter, but you should figure out what is best for whatever species is dominant in you lawn.

Also, you usually want those cuttings ending up back on your grass. A personal pet peeve of mine is when people pay large amounts of money to fertilize their lawn, then blow all the cuttings back into the street. You paid people good cash for those nutrients idiot, keep them on your soil instead of literally watching it go down the drain. Where it will exacerbate eutrophication problems in streams and rivers.

As the other poster said, just do 2-3 passes with the chute blowing back on your lawn, then reverse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

What do you all think about mulching vs bagging? My folks always had me bag as a kid and I've done that in my adult life in rentals too.

I mulch a little in order to build up a reasonable thatch, and then bag the rest and put it into the composter.

Then again I don't give a poo poo and at this point my "lawn" is like 80% weeds, plus I'm in California so it's currently closely-cropped dead weeds and maybe some grass.

(Lawns are stupid and bad and I'm going to get rid of mine and I encourage everyone else who is allowed to, to do the same.)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I like mulching and/or chuting because I am lazy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thufir posted:

I like mulching and/or chuting because I am lazy.

Same. When I mowed as a kid my parents always had me bag, but I don't think that any of us realized that mulching is even an option. But it doesn't just save time, it's also better for the lawn.

I'm interested in getting rid of my lawn entirely but I have so many other things going on that we haven't even started really planning or looking at what we might want to do instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

-S- posted:

Vacuum chat: How are robotic vacuums these days? Anything worthwhile for helping keep on top of things?