Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

henkman posted:

i would go nashors -> cooldown boots(since the bonus AP is critical into this build) -> lich bane. next up i would probably pickup the hextech gunblade, then i would start doing variations. put statikk shiv into it, then a wits end. right now your build has hard hits but hard hits will only get you so far in overall DPS. with this, you have some crit AD synergy with hextech + statikk shiv, but more importantly, you have 35% CDR, multiple sources of magic damage(wits end, nashors, statikk shiv, lich bane, plus your spells) and 3 attack speed items.

hm, personally i was thinking a movespeed heavy iceborn gauntlet muramana build to capitalize on roaming, but i guess that is alright too.. if you are a circus clown. suck my balls

Ulio posted:

What's a fun support to play in ranked? I know support isn't that fun in ranked but meh. I enjoy playing the role because its more relaxing compared to mid which I normally play.
Lately I been playing Sona if it's not banned or pick but she is one of the least fun CHAMPIONS to play. Soraka also seems to be really good in soloq even though nobody bans it or picks it. Thresh is the one I like playing the most because he is fun and is also a good pick. I want to learn to play Bard but he seems really hard.

for ranked if you are at lower elos just pick something aggressive with high damage and gently caress up the enemy support who probably has no idea what they are doing and got shafted into the role by xSoulAssassin7x the guy who only plays zed and talon. you can even go so far as playing pantheon for this matter. i recommend blitzcrank or the aforementioned zyra. karma is also pretty fun

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
stattik shiv and lichbane have a lot of movespeed

e: you honestly could probably build solo lane bard like you would kayle

henkman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 4, 2016

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

henkman posted:

stattik shiv and lichbane have a lot of movespeed

maybe, and do not get me wrong i love shivcore goku builds, but investing too heavily on attack speed/damage as bard mid seems detrimental to his overall strengths. i was thinking like a bruiser/roam build with mobis and dead mans plate, then like ludens echo into abyssal..? the build order is definitely wrong and i will have to think about it some more, but i definitely want to catch people out and gently caress them up then ult people who try to rotate on me and run away spamming champion mastery

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

for ranked if you are at lower elos just pick something aggressive with high damage and gently caress up the enemy support who probably has no idea what they are doing and got shafted into the role by xSoulAssassin7x the guy who only plays zed and talon. you can even go so far as playing pantheon for this matter. i recommend blitzcrank or the aforementioned zyra. karma is also pretty fun

Im plat3 most adc's whine if u try something crazy like Pantheon but I have successfully played Volibear support which is pretty decent if they dont have lots of kiting.

Blitzcrank is good too I have the most games on him this season.

I will tryout Zyra I completely forgot about her but whenever I have her in a game she seems to outdamage even the midlaners.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

Im plat3 most adc's whine if u try something crazy like Pantheon but I have successfully played Volibear support which is pretty decent if they dont have lots of kiting.

I will tryout Zyra I completely forgot about her but whenever I have her in a game she seems to outdamage even the midlaners.

those guys are whiny motherfuckers, the most fun i ever had was in a pretty mid elo normals game with goons, i had palladion on my team and he wanted to try dorans blade support fiora and we just hosed them up at level 1 and snowballed the game until they surrendered at 20

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ulio posted:

Janna Soraka and Taric are all strong picks that seem to go under the ban radar and they fill in the holes you often find in platinum teamcomps that contain 4 damage retards with little or no cc/utility

I actually max Q first on Soraka now because it has so much poo poo lumped into it now. Maxing it first makes you have appreciable damage in lane and much stronger self regen to keep dumping on your ADC and you can legitimately threaten the enemy AD by dropping enough Qs on them to poke them out of lane.

pog boyfriend posted:

those guys are whiny motherfuckers, the most fun i ever had was in a pretty mid elo normals game with goons, i had palladion on my team and he wanted to try dorans blade support fiora and we just hosed them up at level 1 and snowballed the game until they surrendered at 20

this is cool and all but please do not do this in ranked

How Rude fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 4, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

spellthiefs into full tank max cdr support twisted fate is not only fun, but also good. you actually max Q first for the lane harass instead of W tho.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Personally, I'd rather see them go back to having dodges cost you more lp than actual losses do.

Was it ever like that? Man, that'd make me get the gently caress out of ranked for good.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If you play Bard Mid my recommended build is that you kill yourself.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Libertine posted:

Yeah if you're gonna play Bard in a nonstandard role that role is jungle.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How Rude posted:

I actually max Q first on Soraka now because it has so much poo poo lumped into it now. Maxing it first makes you have appreciable damage in lane and much stronger self regen to keep dumping on your ADC and you can legitimately threaten the enemy AD by dropping enough Qs on them to poke them out of lane.

Is this the norm now? I thought u always had to max heal on Soraka.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Libertine posted:

libertine you need to think about the words you are saying. yeah it seems funny now but if you say it to the wrong person you might put them over the edge, and then they will haunt you for all eternity as a ghost. i do not know about you, but i think ghosts are pretty scary

How Rude posted:

this is cool and all but please do not do this in ranked

i mean it would probably suck absolute dick if you tried to do that and did not get first blood but it is really funny if they walk into one of your bushes and eat poo poo

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Don't try to Polterlyte me

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i like to imagine the ceo of riot games one day after rolling out of his bed made of 100 dollar bills looked at lyte parading around the forums with his army of fanboys farming upvotes, got pissed, and stormed out of the room and demanded lyte tell him what the gently caress was going on before telling him to publicly resign. it is probably not what actually happened but it is my headcanon

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ulio posted:

What's a fun support to play in ranked? I know support isn't that fun in ranked but meh. I enjoy playing the role because its more relaxing compared to mid which I normally play.
Lately I been playing Sona if it's not banned or pick but she is one of the least fun CHAMPIONS to play. Soraka also seems to be really good in soloq even though nobody bans it or picks it. Thresh is the one I like playing the most because he is fun and is also a good pick. I want to learn to play Bard but he seems really hard.

If you don't like making people dance and sustaining your entire team through a teamfight and running away from melee champs while cackling and bursting an ADC for half their health at level one then yeah i guess sona is pretty boring.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

i like to imagine the ceo of riot games one day after rolling out of his bed made of 100 dollar bills looked at lyte parading around the forums with his army of fanboys farming upvotes, got pissed, and stormed out of the room and demanded lyte tell him what the gently caress was going on before telling him to publicly resign. it is probably not what actually happened but it is my headcanon

and when he sulked out of the office with his cubicle box he overhears the cigar chompin' boss laugh with his esports pals going "what a LYTEWEIGHT!"

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

rabidsquid posted:

spellthiefs into full tank max cdr support twisted fate is not only fun, but also good. you actually max Q first for the lane harass instead of W tho.

I think ADC TF is the only build you max W over Q ever.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Play Leona. Always be asking yourself "why am I not in their face loving them up". Ward extensively and stay near your teammates, and if you catch someone, go all in and hope your teammate kills them.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ulio posted:

I usually put two or three points into Q and then max W. Q is way better for laning but if you hit teamfights with only rank 1 heal you're going to be very sad.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Yeah if you're gonna play Bard in a nonstandard role that role is jungle.

No.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ulio posted:

R > Q > W > E is the skill order imo because the Q self healing scales with rank, which if you land can now transfer to an ally as well as doing more damage and slowing the enemy. It's really strong because it gives you more overall sustain as well as damage in lane

most of the time though as soon as lane ends you will want to stop ranking Q and start putting more points into W as someone above me said

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh ya I completely forgot about the q making your heals stronger I guess that makes sense. I hadn't played her in a since she got nerfed or balanced a few patches ago.With all the %healing boosts in the game she is still strong imo.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Normally I don't care about this poo poo but I feel like I really deserved an S+ here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

96 CS

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sexpansion posted:

Normally I don't care about this poo poo but I feel like I really deserved an S+ here.

I feel like they count kill participation cause when you have a team that just runs a train of killing all game everyone gets the S/S+, whereas when it's two separate carries with like 2 assists each no one seems to get the S+

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

He's the jungler, he shouldn't be making more CS unless he steals from laners

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

How Rude posted:

He's the jungler, he shouldn't be making more CS unless he steals from laners

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, but the algorithm just looks at the best possible scores in every category. if some random jarvan iv sits in the jungle for 30 minutes and gets 200 cs, that's the bar that's set for the best possible jungle jarvan iv CS. it doesn't use logic, it literally just looks at the highest scores in every category and compares your score to those.

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
proof that taxing your idiot laners is objectively correct

ty riot

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

Problem is these people would do the same and you'll either have to outplay them which could be dangerous or make them regret not buying a support item and wait until they suffer from the lack of gold, this requires not dying repeatedly though.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I still max W on Soraka because I land about 30% of my Qs

The More You Know™

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
does anyone ever build the red sightstone item? i see people in competitive and probuilds do it but it seems like the extra cost cripples your ability to stack item actives in the first place.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If you build red stone, you can have two zzrots at once.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

mirrorquiz posted:

does anyone ever build the red sightstone item? i see people in competitive and probuilds do it but it seems like the extra cost cripples your ability to stack item actives in the first place.

I agree with you. I did a bunch after I saw it in pro. I even advocated for it in terms of Talisman/Redstone Thresh. Now I think it cripples your income curve really badly. I think it's suboptimal totally because of that and went back to rushing the Eye/Stone items into a much greater gold pool of secondary utility/CDR items.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah, but the algorithm just looks at the best possible scores in every category. if some random jarvan iv sits in the jungle for 30 minutes and gets 200 cs, that's the bar that's set for the best possible jungle jarvan iv CS. it doesn't use logic, it literally just looks at the highest scores in every category and compares your score to those.

Pretty much this. I don't think its actually possible to get an S rank on any hero without at the bar minimum 100 CS.

I'd add "except supports" but I've never gotten an S rank supporting, even if I buy support items, get a good score, and do it on an unconventional hero.

Basically, just play assassins and steal as much CS as possible. Your teammates will hate you and you'll probably be useless, but in the long run you'll have mastery emote and skins you wont be able to use for a month. And thats what really matters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

K8.0 posted:

You have to understand how the system works. It looks at all games played with a given champion in a given role, puts a bunch of stats weighted by role into a formula and comes up with a score for each game. To get X rank you have to score in the top Y% of games for that champion in that role.

This is important because it explains why you need to do obscenely well with certain characters and not others. You're going to have to do insanely well on Fiora, because the nature of Fiora is that the best scoring of her games are going to be her hard carrying getting 80% of the kills and completely annihilating everyone while instagibbing waves and camps as she waits for the enemy to respawn. On the other hand Shen doesn't win very many games at all with an impressive stat line, so the best scoring Shen games don't necessarily average a lot of kills OR farm. Sure, there are some games where an insanely fed Shen goes 20-0, but there aren't enough of them to drag the average for whatever percentile S+ is up very much. It's not necessarily easier to get an S+ on Shen than Fiora, but it does require a much less impressive stat line.

On hard carries in general if your primary concern is getting S+ you need to adopt the playstyle that produces the largest number of hard carrying games, which is definitely not the same thing as the playstyle that will win you the most games.

tldr if you play a champion that can potentially do everything in one game, you will probably have to do everything since you're competing against people who did. There are no hard and fast numbers other than the weighting for various metrics (which we don't know), aside from that it's all how you performed relative to other people playing the same champion in the same role.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Every time I play a melee champ into a ranged champ in lane I get absolutely decimated. Any tips for handling those sort of matchups? Fiora into Quinn. Ekko into Ahri. Fizz into any ranged mid. That sort of thing. Also I am bad at league of legends.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

amazeballs posted:

Every time I play a melee champ into a ranged champ in lane I get absolutely decimated. Any tips for handling those sort of matchups? Fiora into Quinn. Ekko into Ahri. Fizz into any ranged mid. That sort of thing. Also I am bad at league of legends.

post your league name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
buy corrupting potion, take 0/18/12 as mid melee, and take teleport. learn to bait out their skills so you can farm. walk up near the minions to bait an auto attack to make minions auto attack them. just learn to trade melee versus ranged. ask a buddy who is higher elo to 1v1 with you and you will learn a ton

• Locked thread