Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

who's the hot dumb friend? Hagakure? Cause that's true.

It is in fact Hagakure since he is now hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Are you implying that he wasn't before?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
say whaaat? he was very cute and the best surviving boy in dr1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He was not as cute as Makoto

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Well that was a goofy episode but it explained a lot of things, nice to see the bad side of Nagito's luck.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Good to see Nagito has always had an unstable grasp on reality.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Nagito's go to solution to things being to blow it up is pretty great.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Yeah, on the topic of Nagito's luck - it's basically like that one joke from the Simpsons with the frogurt.

His family's rich, so that's good!
But their plane was hijacked, so that's bad.
But a meteor hit the plane, killing the hijacker, so that's good!
But it also killed his family, so that's bad.
But he got the inheritance, so that's good!
But then he was kidnapped by a serial killer, so that's bad.
But he found a lottery ticket and won three million yen so that's good!
But then he got diagnosed with cancer so that's bad.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This episode felt mostly like setup and exploring a trio of boring characters from the Future Arc, but it does a good job of demonstrating how hosed up Komaeda's... existence? How hosed up his existence is.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

This episode felt mostly like setup and exploring a trio of boring characters from the Future Arc, but it does a good job of demonstrating how hosed up Komaeda's... existence? How hosed up his existence is.

i actually like the pharmacist, and can't wait for her to die next episode

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nah, Blacksmith is gonna die.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope they both die

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The funniest part is Chisa's entire class is going to commit suicide

Also Nagito wanted to give himself up so that Ultimate Hope could be achieved. He got suspended from Hope's Peak and I assume he's the reason Naegi was picked as the Lucky Student instead. End of DR1 Naegi becomes Ultimate/SHSL Hope so... Nagito got what he wanted?

E: Also what are the odds that Nagito is the mastermind after this episode? He caps it off saying he wants to see hope and hope collide and he was the one who trained Monaca

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 4, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
At this point I'm assuming Junko shows up in the last episode, sees all the mayhem caused by literally everyone else in the school, shrugs her shoulders and joins in on the despair.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought the gag with whatserface's cream puffs being so good they broke franchise conventions of nameless NPCs also being faceless was pretty good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The funniest part is Chisa's entire class is going to commit suicide

Also Nagito wanted to give himself up so that Ultimate Hope could be achieved. He got suspended from Hope's Peak and I assume he's the reason Naegi was picked as the Lucky Student instead. End of DR1 Naegi becomes Ultimate/SHSL Hope so... Nagito got what he wanted?

E: Also what are the odds that Nagito is the mastermind after this episode? He caps it off saying he wants to see hope and hope collide and he was the one who trained Monaca

Yeah that falls in line with Nagito's luck, he wants to be remembered as a Big Hero who saved everyone(his will is "make a sweet statue of me"). His Despair is basically "I want to die but I want my death to mean something". So of course "his" glory is stolen by some random unlucky kid.

(as an aside I like how in Worst Day Ever Naegi learns the same lesson as Nagito - everything is meaningless before the almighty force of random chance - but takes a way more positive spin on it("even someone without talent is meaningful" vs "those without talent are worthless because they coast on chance"))

Nagito also had some fairly ominous lines in I think DR2 where he talked about the greater hope "devouring" the lesser one and becoming stronger. He definitely has SOMETHING to do with this, even if it's just prodding Monaca.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just had a thought about the implications of Nagito getting a suspension for his antics.

I wonder if it means that Izuru Kamukura is going to be joining Class 77 next episode? With Nagito out of school for a while, that would then explain why Izuru and Nagito never met until they were on that ship. Perhaps by the time Nagito comes back, Izuru will have stopped going to class.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Wyvernil posted:

I wonder if it means that Izuru Kamukura is going to be joining Class 77 next episode? With Nagito out of school for a while, that would then explain why Izuru and Nagito never met until they were on that ship. Perhaps by the time Nagito comes back, Izuru will have stopped going to class.

I had the same idea.

Too bad Chisa, but you joined the reserve course a bit too late - the heads already got what they needed from it so there is nothing left to investigate there.

Also, this explains why the three got expelled despite not killing anyone - mass media coverage couldn't be covered up like Sato's death.

I love that this big feud between Seiko and Ruruka wasn't caused by either one of them. No wonder Kōichi thought that they should just get over it.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

I just had a thought about the implications of Nagito getting a suspension for his antics.

Wasn't he kept a big secret from everyone though, even Kirigiri had to give up investigating if he was real or not.
I doubt he'd be in a class if he was supposed to be a secret

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BlazeEmblem posted:

I had the same idea.

Too bad Chisa, but you joined the reserve course a bit too late - the heads already got what they needed from it so there is nothing left to investigate there.

Also, this explains why the three got expelled despite not killing anyone - mass media coverage couldn't be covered up like Sato's death.

I love that this big feud between Seiko and Ruruka wasn't caused by either one of them. No wonder Kōichi thought that they should just get over it.

Well nothing would have happened if Ruruka did not want to cheat and if Seiko had not given into her demands.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Slokir posted:

Wasn't he kept a big secret from everyone though, even Kirigiri had to give up investigating if he was real or not.
I doubt he'd be in a class if he was supposed to be a secret

Maybe he still goes by the Hinata name but acts like Izuro.

That just makes me think of how Chiaki will go to him wanting to play a game and he says that games are boring and then he plays anyway and he beats her because he's good at everything and calls her boring and she get's sad....

And now I'm sad thinking about that.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
I assumed he'd been locked away for the most of the time before Junko found him because it looks like he is still wearing the uniform of the reserve course. Not to mention the hair.
I'm guessing he has to do something we don't know about though or it'd be a really boring show, unless Junko shows up and immediately kicks things off by making him kill the Student Council.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Slokir posted:

I assumed he'd been locked away for the most of the time before Junko found him because it looks like he is still wearing the uniform of the reserve course. Not to mention the hair.
I'm guessing he has to do something we don't know about though or it'd be a really boring show, unless Junko shows up and immediately kicks things off by making him kill the Student Council.

I thought the hair thing was more because he couldn't be assed to cut it. Though it does seem to grow unusually fast but DR isn't exactly known for it's adherence to realism with character designs(a good thing imo, but the point still stands)

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What? No - Jin Kirigiri recognizes that Komaeda must have real supernatural good luck at the end of this episode, which is the main reason why he's only suspended and not expelled. In SDR2 they explain there's a lucky student lottery every year (IIRC that explanation came from Komaeda himself, and he has not reason to lie about it at that point in the game). Naegi's selection has nothing to do with Komaeda.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think we still have a fair bit of time in-universe before the Tragedy kicks off because in finishing DR1 lately, Junko tells everyone that their first year was completely normal. That means both classes have quite a bit of time until everything goes south. Obviously there will be time skips, but we have some ways to go. Hell, if nothing else, Junko hasn't even arrived yet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Komaeda owns and it feels like to me it's shaping up to him being the cause of everything instead of Junko

but maybe I'm way off the mark

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

IceBorg posted:

I would assume this was the case, as when you see a list of their names in DR2, his name is Hajime Hinata. Also, Makoto was shown to have met him as Izuru, but is still surprised at the end of DR2 when Hajime turned out to be Izuru, so Makoto must have believed that he was called Hajime at the time.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FPzero posted:

I think we still have a fair bit of time in-universe before the Tragedy kicks off because in finishing DR1 lately, Junko tells everyone that their first year was completely normal. That means both classes have quite a bit of time until everything goes south. Obviously there will be time skips, but we have some ways to go. Hell, if nothing else, Junko hasn't even arrived yet.

I'm not sure exactly when the Tragedy is supposed to happen, but I want to say it happens about halfway through Class 77's second year. DR Zero does seem to imply that Hope's Peak managed to keep the incident under wraps for a bit, until the lid blew wide open on it by the end of the year and the school was forced to close.

In the Despair Arc, I'm estimating that the tragedy will happen around Episode 9 or 10. The last few episodes are likely to quickly cover the aftermath of the incident, the final corruption of Class 77, and bring things full circle to the Future Arc to bring the two stories together.

IceBorg posted:

That just makes me think of how Chiaki will go to him wanting to play a game and he says that games are boring and then he plays anyway and he beats her because he's good at everything and calls her boring and she get's sad....

And now I'm sad thinking about that.

Or maybe they'll leave some hope that some part of Hajime still remains in Izuru, and he and Chiaki manage to reconnect. That would just make it even more painful when Junko uses Chiaki's death to drive Izuru into despair and make him cause the Tragedy.

Izuru Kamukura is one of the biggest enigmas in the series, and I'm hoping we get more insight into his personality in the anime(since most of what we know about him is from secondhand sources or post-despair). For instance, what was Izuru really planning when he put the Junko AI into the New World Program? Chapter 0 of DR2 seemed to suggest that he was trying to get back at Junko for everything that she had done to him, and that he had some sort of independent agenda. I'm hoping the end of the Despair arc will shine some more light on this.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

God that episode owned. Komaeda is one of my favorite antagonists in media and that episode was a great example of exactly why. The way his luck works is terrifying and his absolute unwavering belief in it is even scarier. Can't wait for wild shenanigans and murder to continue.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was actually a super good episode, wow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wyvernil posted:

Or maybe they'll leave some hope that some part of Hajime still remains in Izuru, and he and Chiaki manage to reconnect. That would just make it even more painful when Junko uses Chiaki's death to drive Izuru into despair and make him cause the Tragedy.

Izuru Kamukura is one of the biggest enigmas in the series, and I'm hoping we get more insight into his personality in the anime(since most of what we know about him is from secondhand sources or post-despair). For instance, what was Izuru really planning when he put the Junko AI into the New World Program? Chapter 0 of DR2 seemed to suggest that he was trying to get back at Junko for everything that she had done to him, and that he had some sort of independent agenda. I'm hoping the end of the Despair arc will shine some more light on this.

I thought that his deal was that his omni-talent plus Despair fuckery made him super nihilistic(according to Junko she "broke his spirit") Like I don't think he's full Despair but he really doesn't care enough either way. He makes a brief cameo at the end of DG and it's implied he's just kind of annoyed at the whole situation. He just tries new things, succeeds instantly because of his talent, becomes bored again, and moves on. I don't think he gave a single poo poo about Junko but just went with the AI plan because it was something different. It turns out that suppressing everything that doesn't have to do with their idea of "talent" was a really dumb move.

Then Hinata wakes up instead and welp. Though Izuru was told he'd be "someone else" by AI Junko so he might have known and not cared, or was using the plot to wake up his original personality/fix his broken brain/feel anything at all. Or he just didn't believe her.

You're right, it's really hard to get a read on him beyond his general apathy and what Junko says, and Junko isn't exactly a reliable source of information.

EDIT: also lol "He just bombed the school we can't let his fantastic talent go" golly I wonder why Hope's Peak became a cauldron of insanity

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 5, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think he followed Junko just because she was the only one who could keep him entertained. The student council killing game was probably a uniquely exciting and unpredictable experience for him, and DR2 was him volunteering to participate in another one, chasing that high. I think the last things she says to him in AE support that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Might not be the place to ask but eh. I haven't refreshed myself in DR2 in awhile and catching up on it and I never did figure out what the deal with Mikan's execution was. Did anyone ever explain what the deal was because I still don't really get it and it's still by far the weakest/forgettable ones to me.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Might not be the place to ask but eh. I haven't refreshed myself in DR2 in awhile and catching up on it and I never did figure out what the deal with Mikan's execution was. Did anyone ever explain what the deal was because I still don't really get it and it's still by far the weakest/forgettable ones to me.

I figured it was ironic since she wanted everyone to leave her alone so Monokuma shot her into space.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Komaeda owns but confectioner girl is some Grade-A lovely person I mean holy poo poo she's just plain slimy with Kimura.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, it's pretty hard to not see her and Izayoi as outright terrible when they took active advantage of her, meanwhile the one person who was really nice and respectful to her caused her to get expelled, rip Kimura.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm glad the dog survived the explosion

Komaeda is still batshit insane and I love it

Agreed with Ruruka being super lovely and feeling bad for Seiko

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Confectioner guaranteed to survive by virtue of being super lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
God d*mn I love Nagito

• Locked thread