Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
You would think that, but if I remember correctly, the fan won't actually turn on unless the breaker's already been hit. So you can tie the string and go out, but you still have to be inside the kitchen in order to hit that final step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.10 - Keija Vu

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I find it's just easier to just assume for the stages where things don't somehow blatantly contradict themselves, re: Escape the area OR find Specific Item A, that both happen, same with any little minor bits that set up for later stages. So for here, Kei came in, decided for some strange reason to freeze a washcloth, found Hisako's veil, and then trucked it out of the zone before any Shibito decided to get friendly with his face. The timeline discussion... honestly kinda over-complicated things a bit in that regard. My take on it has always been that the player is able to jump back and forth around the timeline at will, sure, but only for narrative purposes of piecing together the chain of events that occur. So for this stage, you were just coming through the first time, but now you're taking a second look at it now that you know a little bit more about what's going on, and you as the player are seeing an additional event play out that you didn't spot on your first run. Things are otherwise happening in a linear fashion that don't really change just because someone came back to replay a stage so they could grab a veil that they couldn't quite nab the first time through, because it happens regardless of whether or not the player is aware that it did.

There are times later on where this reasoning is harder to use, but for general "Go Here OR Find This Thing" mission objectives, it saves a lot of time and headache.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm sure all the timeline issues can be solved with excessive application of the mophogenetic field theory.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This timeline will explain everything

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
It's continually baffling to me that people get confused by the idea of weird time shenanigans when there is explicitly magic or spooky ghost poo poo occurring. As though everything is going to make perfect sense when the dead walk the earth and the sky weeps blood.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't mention anything earlier in the thread for fear of spoilers, but I really don't think it's merely a case of gameplay conflicting with story, I really do think the going back and replaying stages with foreknowledge and archaic solutions to problems that don't even come up until much later is part of the story. Time is suggested to be very non-linear in this series, and I think that's part of the horror.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

I'm sure all the timeline issues can be solved with excessive application of the mophogenetic field theory.

Consider for example, this wireless monitor....

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Ixjuvin posted:

It's continually baffling to me that people get confused by the idea of weird time shenanigans when there is explicitly magic or spooky ghost poo poo occurring. As though everything is going to make perfect sense when the dead walk the earth and the sky weeps blood.

I don't mind these timeline shenanigans but I definitely disagree with your view. In scenario consistency is important. Even if the dead walk the earth and the sky weeps blood, if you can't keep it consistent in universe, you are a bad writer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way i always interpreted it is that the game is structured so as to give out certain details only when it wants to. it's actively telling a story, and a big thing to note is that the game very much keeps track of the specific chunks of time when events occur. probably due to the fact that there's a large amount of characters all doing their own things, and to fully get the context for what eventually happens you're going to need to understand the events leading up it. the game might decide to throw in an extra objective in a level to further flesh out what you've already gone through since it reuses levels really well and also finds a way to expand on them further. before, all we knew is that kei got out of the place he was wandering around. now we know he found hisako's veil and is worried about her. it's a pretty good intro to secondary objectives.

now, there's going to be secondary objectives that have much deeper implications behind them. when it comes to that, always go with what the secondary objective tells you. in some ways the primary objectives are partially there to just keep the story moving along, and the secondaries give the actual picture. in this video's case it can 100% be assumed that kei just found the veil before he left, and i guess the way someone can reason as to why is because he's actively sightjacking and might have recognized the veil when looking through the hammering shibito's eyes. it's been a while so for all i remember this could all be thrown out the window by especially weird secondary objectives, but i don't think i ever brought alternate timelines into the mix when experiencing this game for the first time. as said, though, i might just be wildly misremembering things.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

If at some point the two objectives become contradictory, then we can just assume this game runs on Majora's Mask rules. In that once the time loop is completed, the best outcomes of every cycle are mashed together into the true timeline.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.11 - Twins...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

:zombie: ...risa...

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hrrngh... the voice acting is killing me. It's just such a waste that the game is saddled with such a bargain-basement English dub.

The short scene at the end managed to overcome that and still be creepy though, which I think speaks to how effective the game is at that kind of horror.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
They found Meener

I wonder if I was British if I would think this game didn't sound laughable

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kind of amazing to me how often you get caught without dying.

This was the last level I finished when I played. I remember it clearly because I remember climbing up onto that building and bumrushing that sniper, and somehow beating his head in with a hammer.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Item Getter posted:

They found Meener

Less laughable, probably, but it's still pretty bad. The accents don't sound weird to me, but these people aren't exactly amazing voice actors.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I think I remember an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun a while ago - back when all the writers there were British I believe - describing the accents in Siren as "hilariously plummy".

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm so glad somebody posted this. This is the best timeline.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I liked the little touch of Shiro swatting those little flies/moths away while idle.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Item Getter posted:

They found Meener

As a Brit, it still sounds awkward. For me, at least, several of the voice actors used are recognisable from various TV ads, Akira's VA in particular. It feels like they called up the local talent agency, said 'get us a dozen people who know how to do voiceovers', and this was the result.

The second game is equal parts better and worse. The actors themselves actually put some effort into it, but for some insane reason, the director (I'm assuming) decided everyone should try delivering their lines with an 'asian' accent. The delivery fluctuates all over the place, between 'not terrible' and 'unintentionally racist'. They did include the Japanese voice track this time, however.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
These levels are honestly pretty small and it's kind of impressive how well they used lighting and fog to make them feel expansive and tense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

These levels are honestly pretty small and it's kind of impressive how well they used lighting and fog to make them feel expansive and tense.

it does an incredibly good job of utilizing what it has, and most of the great examples haven't even been shown yet

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Johnny Joestar posted:

it does an incredibly good job of utilizing what it has, and most of the great examples haven't even been shown yet

Honestly, SGF can't post content fast enough :).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Honestly, SGF can't post content fast enough :).

Agreed.

That said, I'm willing to wait, since the save file said we'd be seeing Akira again. :hellyeah::hf::corsair:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It was mentioned during the last Shiro level, but it's nice to have a playable character who comes across as having his own agenda in the middle of this besides "Holy poo poo dead people". Compared to a couple of the other people we've seen across multiple stages, like Kyoya and Kei, Shiro bounced pretty fast from lost in the forest to tearing through this section of the map on his way to go do somewhere else. He figured out what his best plan for looking for this Mina chick was and set about doing it. Of course, it has the drawback of making him come across as vaguely sinister when talking to Risa, but part of that's just on account of the voice acting. It's neat to have a character who doesn't necessarily feel like he's on the up and up simply because he isn't losing his poo poo like half the rest of the cast is.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh god, that thread title is so incredibly terrible that it actually twists my gut into a knot. Make sure everyone checks it again once the LP is done.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

It was mentioned during the last Shiro level, but it's nice to have a playable character who comes across as having his own agenda in the middle of this besides "Holy poo poo dead people". Compared to a couple of the other people we've seen across multiple stages, like Kyoya and Kei, Shiro bounced pretty fast from lost in the forest to tearing through this section of the map on his way to go do somewhere else. He figured out what his best plan for looking for this Mina chick was and set about doing it. Of course, it has the drawback of making him come across as vaguely sinister when talking to Risa, but part of that's just on account of the voice acting. It's neat to have a character who doesn't necessarily feel like he's on the up and up simply because he isn't losing his poo poo like half the rest of the cast is.

It was really odd for him to be found in the middle of the woods checking out a large hole in the ground, wasn't it?
I actually like voice acting for Shiro here, he is a bit off...
Hmmm.....

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Godnnelg posted:

It was really odd for him to be found in the middle of the woods checking out a large hole in the ground, wasn't it?
I actually like voice acting for Shiro here, he is a bit off...
Hmmm.....

Yeah. A big hole frow which something came out. Surely nothing.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah. A big hole frow which something came out. Surely nothing.

That's not possible!

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.12 - Do You Want To Live Forever?

7c Nickel posted:

Ohh god, that thread title is so incredibly terrible that it actually twists my gut into a knot. Make sure everyone checks it again once the LP is done.

Thanks for noticing. :)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Oh god, too many characters! Develop the ones you have already, game, before you ask for more.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh god, too many characters! Develop the ones you have already, game, before you ask for more.

And we haven't gotten past noon of the first day, too. Is this a long game or what?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I forget. Did we play someone who unlocked the custodian shack, or is it just arbitrarily unlocked this time?

Love that face after our new character gets an earful of Akira's crazy grandpa ramblings.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 5, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

bman in 2288 posted:

And we haven't gotten past noon of the first day, too. Is this a long game or what?

You have to remember that this is almost certainly not how a first time player will be experiencing the game, or is really meant to.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

supergreatfriend posted:

Thanks for noticing. :)

For what it's worth, I noticed the significance of the thread title too... but wasn't sure how to comment on it. (Good choice though.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Schwartzcough posted:

the game will develop them plenty, believe me

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ugh, never got past this level myself. Such terrible gun controls. I'm interested to see what comes next!

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Yea... actually I'm not sure if that is fish or not.. but that debate will be for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Godnnelg posted:

Yea... actually I'm not sure if that is fish or not.. but that debate will be for later.

I have no clue what's going on here. What is the thread name corresponding to?

• Locked thread