Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really want to hear people's thoughts on Seafall

Also I want to hear more about that game someone posted about a few pages back where you can be a cave or a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Gonna try and demo Seafall in a bit, should be interesting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Okay, enough of Seafall, when are we going to get Agricola Legacy?

Agricola already comes with a legacy mode, check out the solo rules!

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Flick 'em Up: Dead of Winter?

https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/761229717823455232

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gonna be better than normal Dead of Winter in every way

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I know it's nothing new, but god drat it feels so loving incestuous when Brands start mixing like that

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Hey, at least it's not Munchkin of Winter or Munchkin 'Em Up.

Flick 'Em Up seems like a perfectly serviceable flicking game, I wonder if the wondertwins of bad game design, Isaac Vega and Jonathan Gilmour will manage to gently caress it up, or if their names on the box is just a sort of courtesy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Missed opportunity not to have Sparky on the cover assuring everyone that "yes, there is a dog meeple inside."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

al-azad posted:

Missed opportunity not to have Sparky on the cover assuring everyone that "yes, there is a dog meeple inside."
Maybe there isn't!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Maybe the box says "BRAAIIIINS!" when you open it. That would be classy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe nothing happens.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

The rulebook for the Bloodborne card game by Eric M. Lang is out. It looks... ok? Simultaneous card playing, hand management, push your luck. Interested to hear if anyone plays it at GenCon.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You get a lot more leeway with Ancient Egypt than with most other cultures because
1) Ancient Egypt doesn't exist anymore, and
2) the reason Ancient Egypt doesn't exist anymore isn't "we killed them all".

It's true that the British has a "mixed" history with Egypt, but it's with a completely different Egypt than the one that built the pyramids, whereas the Aztec and Inca empires that people remember are the ones that the Spanish butchered.

This probably hits the nail on the head. The age and the lack of direct connection with those people.

I'm no expert but as you suggest didn't the Spanish effectively wipe out the Aztec and the Inca so in the same way as Egypt they don't have modern day ancestors. Forgive my ignorance, I really don't know.

I disagree with the idea it doesn't exist anymore so modern day doesn't get attached to it. Nationalism is nationalism. Modern Day Egyptians want exhibits from the British Museum back because they belong to the nation (in their eyes), so they must feel some link to the past. No less than Native Americans might feel. But then again I don't see a problem with someone wearing a Native American headdress as long as they are respectful about it. Same with togas, kimonos and kilts.

I'm just surprised that SUSD of all places that review board games would go with that approach. They had a mild pop at Isle of Skye for implying Scottish people liked drinking.

To move on relatedly, I've been playing Civ IV again recently, and there is a Slavery mechanic in the game. Not only is it pretty much a positive thing (you sacrifice population for a production bonus, downside is minimal), in many cases early game it is an optimal strategy that the best players always use. It's as close to a win-win decision as you can get in the game.

But that was in 2004. And a PC strategy game. I was wonder if in 2016, in board games, could slavery be incorporated as a positive mechanic with pretty much no downside that was required in optimum play. Considering how slavery was removed from Five Tribes, I kind of think it couldn't, not without a real dressing down and possible boycott. Is it more the year thing or the board game/PC game difference?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

But that was in 2004. And a PC strategy game. I was wonder if in 2016, in board games, could slavery be incorporated as a positive mechanic with pretty much no downside that was required in optimum play. Considering how slavery was removed from Five Tribes, I kind of think it couldn't, not without a real dressing down and possible boycott. Is it more the year thing or the board game/PC game difference?

Well, slavery was completely out of Civ V in 2010, so . . .

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slavery was in 4 though, only a bit before.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

My friends got to meet Vlaada and check out the new TTA app today. Kinda jealous :argh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Durendal posted:

My friends got to meet Vlaada and check out the new TTA app today. Kinda jealous :argh:

Yeah? Well we're jealous too holy god.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm just surprised that SUSD of all places that review board games would go with that approach. They had a mild pop at Isle of Skye for implying Scottish people liked drinking.
Not that Quinns and the others are bad people, because I don't actually know anything about them other than the media they produce which is leagues above basically everything else in the industry in terms of both being entertaining, useful, and welcoming, but I think a lot of SUSD's history of taking games and designers to task for their representations came from Paul who is a lot less involved these days. I'm only really basing that off Paul's youtube page where he talks a lot about issues that bother him and it lines up pretty well with SUSD's comments on representation, but that may explain some of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm no expert but as you suggest didn't the Spanish effectively wipe out the Aztec and the Inca so in the same way as Egypt they don't have modern day ancestors. Forgive my ignorance, I really don't know.

No, its not the same situation. The Inca and Aztec Empires are much more modern than Ancient Egypt. They intermingled with their Spanish conquers, so a lot of south American culture is still Aztec. Mexico city was the capital of both the Aztec and colonial empires, Mexico city never stopped it just changed.

The ancient Egyptians have not been the ancient Egyptians since like 500 BC. Ancient Egypt is really loving ancient. The great pyramids were as ancient to Julius Caesar as Julius Caesar is ancient to us. Imagine South Americans in the year 4000 AD talking about Aztec nationalism, that is how dumb ancient Egyptian nationalism is.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Well, that sucks for people looking forward to it. Did they not anticipate this kind of demand?

Same thing happened for Mysterium last year. I had a trade day pass which got me into the hall an hour before opening and they were long sold out by the time I got there 15 minutes later.

What was said earlier was accurate. It's incredibly expensive to have product early shipped to a convention hall.

In the meantime I'm trying to convince my MIL that my game collection doesn't belong on a picnic table in 90% humidity. :negative:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
To be fair to CIV4, the Beyond the Sword expansion has random events and one of them can be random slave revolts in your cities. Is this a good mechanic? No. But they did add a thing.

Also you're kind of the leader, and no one ever accused slavery of being terrible for the slavers.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

StashAugustine posted:

A Distant Plain Legacy

Game one has Alexander as the COIN player, game two has the Seleucids or whoever, month three has Parthia/Sassanids, four is the Ummayads, five is the Abbasids, six is the Mongols, etc.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

burger time posted:

The rulebook for the Bloodborne card game by Eric M. Lang is out. It looks... ok? Simultaneous card playing, hand management, push your luck.

quote:

Monsters can fight back with exploding dice that can potentially deal infinite damage.

Well, that bodes well.

e: why is this rules PDF 90Mb? holy poo poo

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A Distant Plain Legacy: First Anglo-Afghan War Scenario: If the British Empire player gets any units off the board, they win.
2016 Scenario: Watch the news.

Fat Turkey posted:

Why do you think something acceptable in a PC game would be unacceptable in a boardgame?

cenotaph posted:

Or people don't like efficiency engine games boiled down to the bare minimum with random elements added.

OK, that was a bit :agesilaus: but it does have a lot of non-obvious but important decisions, and its appeal is rather intellectual/trainspottery (please choose one.)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Has anyone played the End of The World rpg published by Fantasy Flight? I'm considering buying the first book to play with 3 friends and wanted to hear some criticism.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

House Louse posted:

OK, that was a bit :agesilaus: but it does have a lot of non-obvious but important decisions, and its appeal is rather intellectual/trainspottery (please choose one.)

Somehow you think that sounds less patronizing? It's literally one of the most popular designer games in the world and it's suitable for families, often mentioned as a step up from Carc and TTR. It's appeal is exploratory combo building. I understand what Dominion is and I don't like it. If I came in talking about how people don't appreciate 18xx because it's subtle and intellectual I'd be rightfully dogpiled. Get this: some people have different tastes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Splendor is excellent for what it is - a dice-free strategy game which is not intimidating and which can be learned and played in under an hour.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Picked up a little birthday present for myself today. I continue to be FFG's bitch I guess. I would have picked up the entire first cycle of LotR LCG too if they weren't missing the first pack.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's in the Netrunner world championship decks?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

They are exact copies of the two decks that faced each other in the championships last year but with full card art (and maybe some alt-art cards? not sure). https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/11/run-like-a-champ/

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Radioactive Toy posted:

They are exact copies of the two decks that faced each other in the championships last year but with full card art (and maybe some alt-art cards? not sure). https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/11/run-like-a-champ/

Would they play well against each other?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

cenotaph posted:

Would they play well against each other?

Hopefully! That's what I wanted out of them anyways. Since we never really play Netrunner any more, having 2 set decks to pull out whenever we want to play is ideal.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Got my tax return this week, and I'm looking to make a to-buy list, whittled down from my wish list. Right now, my "short list" consists of:

King of Tokyo Power Up + Halloween expansions
Takenoko
Concept
Keyflower
Cuba Libre
Castles of Burgundy
Viticulture

I'm on the fence about getting the King of Tokyo expansions, or just buying King of New York. Takenoko and Concept, I could drop either or both, though I wouldn't mind getting at least one. Keyflower and Castles of Burgundy, I keep hearing goon recommendations. Cuba Libre, I'd really like to try a COIN game, and that looks about right for the size of my gaming group. Viticulture looks nice, and I've always wanted to give it a try.

Though, I wouldn't mind trying Suburbia, and I had fun with New York 1901 and wouldn't mind picking up a copy. Also, people keep going on about Food Chain Magnate, but it's size seems daunting. Maybe, though...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you plan on playing with other gamers you'll get the most mileage from King of New York.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Got my tax return this week, and I'm looking to make a to-buy list, whittled down from my wish list. Right now, my "short list" consists of:

King of Tokyo Power Up + Halloween expansions

King of New York is a better Yahtzee game. I have KoT & expansions and wish I had KoNY instead.
*snip*

quote:

Keyflower
Buy this.

quote:

Cuba Libre
Heard good things but so far most of GMT's stuff has appeared to be more than I want to dig into in my gaming sessions for now.

quote:

Castles of Burgundy
Good Game, but don't be afraid to wait on a sale. We enjoy it, but I'd feel less good paying MSRP for it.

quote:

Viticulture
I own 3 copies of this which is actually down from the 5 I would have owned. (I have 2 copies of first Edition, and then Tuscany from the KS for it) If you're buying, get the essential edition or the Tuscany Essential edition. (I think that's a thing....I'm not clear anymore)

quote:

Also, people keep going on about Food Chain Magnate, but it's size seems daunting. Maybe, though...

So good, yet so unforgiving. You can literally lose the game in the early rounds. (And then get to sit through the rest of the game) For the cost, I'd be sure you love it before buying it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I really love Cuba Libre but I've had trouble getting it to the table because it can be kind of intimidating. It depends if your group has some patience for a really well-made euro-wargame thing with a lot of fiddly bits.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So has anyone played Seafall yet?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Das Doppelganger posted:

I own 3 copies of this which is actually down from the 5 I would have owned. (I have 2 copies of first Edition, and then Tuscany from the KS for it) If you're buying, get the essential edition or the Tuscany Essential edition. (I think that's a thing....I'm not clear anymore)

Tuscany isn't a standalone expansion, it requires Viticulture to play. Viticulture Essentials plus Tuscany Essentials should send you well on your way, or just Viticulture Essentials if you don't want to dive too deep.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's a new board game interest profile here: https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/tabletop/
These guys did that video gamer profile maker, maybe if we get enough goons on here the ~hivemind's~ tastes will spread further.

I'm a High Conflict, Strategic, Grounded, and Independent gamer, or a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

There's a new board game interest profile here: https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/tabletop/
These guys did that video gamer profile maker, maybe if we get enough goons on here the ~hivemind's~ tastes will spread further.

I'm a High Conflict, Strategic, Grounded, and Independent gamer, or a nerd.

Got to the second page and all the buttons were broken.