Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Seagull posted:

are you talking about larry

No, I already said Terry was awesome, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Frogfingers posted:

How can this guy be in the game for so long and not understand that punching up = satire and punching down = mean spirited?

aboriginal people are the most privileged in this country

want to see who is truly powerful? find who you are not allowed to criticise

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
http://www.sovereigntyparty.org.au/

quote:

The Australian Sovereignty Party is offering to the Australian community the gift of unprecedented wealth and prosperity. By promising to implement our simple tax and monetary system that has been lauded by leading international economists and monetary experts (like award winning author and documentary film maker Bill Still) we will completely reset and rewrite the existing onerous tax policy, a policy that for too long has economically stifled and enslaved the public!

Our economic model is one that will see the abolition of about 125 existing federal, state and local taxes, fees, rates and levies. The 8000+ pages of taxation code will be torn up. There will no longer be a need for time consuming and costly tax compliance. Prosperity, wealth and freedom will become so pervasive; Australian’s will quickly become the wealthiest and happiest people on the planet.

A Single Fair 2% Tax.

We will implement a Debit Tax at a flat rate of 2%. This new tax will replace all existing taxes - such as the income tax, the GST, council rates, fuel-excise etc... The Debit Tax is not only fair, but it is easy to understand and to implement. Best of all – we can generate over $320 Billion a year more than is currently generated through the existing complicated and burdensome tax system. Be advised; do not be quick to dismiss this claim until you have read our policy in full. To date, no one in academia has been able to comprehensively disprove that our policy works using official stats and figures!

Honest Money.

We will implement an Honest Money system. This will allow the government to "create and spend into circulation on infrastructure" all forms of our national currency (i.e. notes, coins and digital currency). Presently, only notes and coins are created for the benefit of the government. By implementing this policy alone, even if you kept the existing tax system - GDP will increase by 10%, government debt will be eliminated, personal debts can be reduced and taxes could be cut. The $120 billion+ of additional annual revenue that is generated from this policy will be in the form of seigniorage, and will be earmarked exclusively for infrastructure developments.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Check Out This One Weird Tax Trick - Academics HATE It!!!!!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Solemn Sloth posted:

aboriginal people are the most privileged in this country

want to see who is truly powerful? find who you are not allowed to criticise

That's a direct quote, isn't it.

quote:

We will implement a Debit Tax at a flat rate of 2%. This new tax will replace all existing taxes - such as the income tax, the GST, council rates, fuel-excise etc... The Debit Tax is not only fair, but it is easy to understand and to implement. Best of all – we can generate over $320 Billion a year more than is currently generated through the existing complicated and burdensome tax system. Be advised; do not be quick to dismiss this claim until you have read our policy in full. To date, no one in academia has been able to comprehensively disprove that our policy works using official stats and figures!

We offer a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR REWARD to any academic who can disprove our plan comprehensively! To date, NO-ONE has won!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

That's a direct quote, isn't it.

We offer a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR REWARD to any academic who can disprove our plan comprehensively! To date, NO-ONE has won!

To the HONOURABLE NO-ONE, the legal entity and not the blood and flesh huma...

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

quote:

My name is Michael Goebel and I am the ASP Network Administrator and Chairman for the Science Committee.

Having always had a great interest in science since I was around 7 years of age, this carried on through my school years and even before I did my HSC, my work had already begun in the electronics and audio industries. My career subsequently expanded into IT, industrial control and automation engineering and design of equipment for the scientific, medical and industrial sectors. I lived in the Sydney area most of my life and moved to the Central Coast of NSW in 1996, shortly after which I began lecturing Microcomputer Architecture at Newcastle University, then being involved in medical research engineering and afterwards securing a position as technical writer and head of the steering committee for Australia's first FPSO Burner Research Facility.

~

Ever since I was comparatively young, I have felt uneasy about the direction in which our country was headed.

It all started with the sudden 'disappearance' of Harold Halt in 1967. I was still in primary school. (http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs144.aspx) When the "offical" explanation - that he had drowned - was announced, there was just something about it that seemed a lie. It was my father who pulled the linchpin for the rest of my life when I asked him about it and he replied "Yeah, they probably knocked him off - he was trying to do too much good" Looking back now, I see clearly that it was this seemingly upside down and topy-turvy answer that kicked my brain forevermore unto an awareness of seeing of thes "action/opposite reaction" principle EVERYWHERE I look.

This is either parody or someone trying to get some of that sweet, sweet electoral funding (and maybe a Senate seat with a favourable ballot position), yeah?

Also, their drug policy:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Malcolm Roberts looks about as deranged as you might expect of a One Nation senator.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Ten Becquerels posted:

Malcolm Roberts looks about as deranged as you might expect of a One Nation senator.

wanna gaslight this dude Amelie-style till he has a nervous breakdown

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

wanna gaslight this dude Amelie-style till he has a nervous breakdown

The term is gaslamp, not light

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Really, I could have swo-

oooh, you're good.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts posted:

I think it's a small cabal of prominent international banks that are driving this and they have already admitted that they're seeking to gain trillions of dollars in trading carbon dioxide paper credits

Oh... oh.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
TRILLIONS of dollars. ZILLIONS.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The 2% transaction tax was proposed by one nation back in the day.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The 2% transaction tax was proposed by one nation back in the day.

Was this before or after they wanted to print off money to pay Australian debt?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

The term is gaslamp, not light

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Really, I could have swo-

oooh, you're good.

I'm MMG and I approve of this exchange

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Australian is losing ads over their doubling down. :allears:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

Was this before or after they wanted to print off money to pay Australian debt?

Is that any less reasonable than say, helicopter money?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

The Australian is losing ads over their doubling down. :allears:

If anyone at the Australian cared about making money they would have shut it down years ago.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is that any less reasonable than say, helicopter money?

I'm not an economist and won't pretend to understand the economy inside and out, but all the papers were reporting at the time that One Nation's proposal would have lead to runaway inflation.

e: In fact I just read a blog article about it and I still don't understand so :shrug:

Starshark fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 5, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It all started with the sudden 'disappearance' of Harold Halt in 1967...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

And you know who controls the banks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

:thejoke:

Anti-semitism is why Andrew Bolt distanced himself from Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I do this to my girlfriend constantly, she says "gaslight" and I convince her that she's allergic to shellfish.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:thejoke:

Anti-semitism is why Andrew Bolt distanced himself from Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts.

Sorry, I don't keep a track of every single fringe lunatic, my spreadsheet is big enough with just you lot

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

No you're not.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

No you're not.

Woah :dominic:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Solemn Sloth posted:

The UN

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Freudian Slip posted:

On the whole asbestos saga. A friend of mine had up until recently been working for BORDER FORCE as a contractor. Him and 800 others were let go last week.

The people being let go are the ones that check goods coming into the country. His job was to acquire the specific equipment required for testing goods. They are literally gutting the departments that make sure the poo poo we import is safe - during a scandal on how asbestos got. Really looking forward to more people getting poisoned by dodgey food etc.

All the funds are being directed to stopping boat people :(

Your friend should write to all the major news outlets to let them know this happened.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

you can't spell 'untermensch' without 'the un'

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I just filled out my census form. Did you know you can do it right now? And I filled it out in good faith.

So ... ABS, ASIO, ASD, ASIS, and you Border Protection fucks. Nothing to see here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What's old is new again

The Courier-Mail has a Galaxy poll of state voting intention which has the two major parties level at 50-50 on two-party preferred, after the Liberal National Party led 52-48 in the previous poll in mid-May. However, the big news from the poll is One Nation recording a primary vote of 16%, gouging both Labor, down three to 33%, and the Liberal National Party, down six to 38%. Nonetheless, Annastacia Palaszczuk records strong personal ratings of 46% approval (up two) and 31% disapproval (down eight). Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls is up six from a soft debut showing on approval to 31%; the report doesn’t provide the disapproval rating. Palaszszuk’s lead as preferred premier is up from 44-29 to 44-26. Hopefully I’ll be able to fill in the blanks later on.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Everything is fine

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to get out of this shithole state

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tim Nicholls will never be premier of qld because he made too many unpopular decisions as a football referee before getting into politics

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Everything is fine

https://thenib.com/this-is-not-fine/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland Premier Pauline Hanson.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorbash posted:

This is either parody or someone trying to get some of that sweet, sweet electoral funding (and maybe a Senate seat with a favourable ballot position), yeah?

Also, their drug policy:

Needs to be a geocities under construction .gif

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phew. So despite the constant stream of idiocy, this seems like it's actually been a fairly quiet week, auspol-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Convicted Racist Andrew Bolt posted:

I haven’t heard the like since Malcolm Turnbull was last the leader of the Opposition. . My book launch in Brisbane last night, I said Turnbull should not be prime minister. Almost every person in the 350-strong crowd of conservatives and liberals cheered.

This is dumb on many levels. I actually went to check if he had spewed off about the opening ceremony and climate change as is inevitable, but I will have to savour those salty tears another day.

• Locked thread