Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I never saw superman in any media as a child.

The one I saw was when I was about four on Nick at Nite that was from the Forties or whatever, which just leaves me thinking, "Wow, isn't Superman kinda overpowered," the rest of the time I've known him. Also, that he's boring, because Nick at Nite is boring.

The Occupy Wall Street Superman in Grant Morrison's Action Comics is really cool and the one I wish would get filmed and be out there more. It's relevant without being lovely "POST-9/11, TORTURE, 24, VIOLENCE GOOD, WTC ANALOGIES," crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay it doesn't work with Superman, drat it.

I was talking about Batman.

Anyway, just saw the movie. About to lose signal in he subway. Harley's dialogue suuuuucks.

Edit: Actually, basically all of the dialogue was bad. People trying to absolve Ayer here are just being silly.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 5, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw Suicide Squad. It was as if Guardians of the Galaxy was aimed at Call of Duty fans. Just a total fuckin stinker in every way except good performances from everyone other than Leto and Delevigne

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Justice League bombing could be the best thing for him cuz maybe we'll get something like Dawn of the Dead again when he goes back to the drawing board.
But James Gunn is working for Marvel right now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I saw Suicide Squad. It was as if Guardians of the Galaxy was aimed at Call of Duty fans. Just a total fuckin stinker in every way except good performances from everyone other than Leto and Delevigne

I wonder if she even did the voice for her character.

if it was overdubbed, I think she might have have had a total of about 15 words the entire movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This is honestly the first DC movie I'm actually bummed is bad, since the trailers made it look good and I was really really hoping that DC/WB would stumble on a formula and tone that would finally work.

Ah, well. Of course, if reports are to be believed, it's a tone made up basically wholecloth from a trailer company causing a panicked hack edit on WB execs' part, so whatever.

Now I'm super interested in how the movie performs financially, after what I was sure was gonna be DC's first unequivocal success I'm now fairly certain it's gonna be another financial disappointment - possibly a disaster if those "worse than Fantastic Four" reviews are accurate.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Got back from the movie.

The problem with Suicide Squad is not that it's just a bad comic book movie. The comic part has nothing to do with it. It is just a terrible film. The whole thing is disjointed, every aspect of every character is shoehorned in, all love interests/family ties are forced, and I don't care about any of the characters. The worst is that the film gives pause for you to laugh at the jokes, but in my theater, it was dead silent.

I haven't seen something that bad in years

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

If DC were making Spiderman 3 they'd wedge Carnage, Toxin, Mephisto and Morlun in it along with cameos by Black Cat, The Jackal and Ben Reilly.
Let's be honest, if DC were making Spider-Man 3, they'd make Batman And Robin again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At least B&R is funny at times

Thsts more than i could hope for with DC it seems

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
So, fun times here in Mexico. Cinemex, one of the largest cinema chains in the country, just announced today that they won't be showing Suicide Squad due to negotiation troubles with their distributor.

Which leaves me and about 100 thousand other people that planned to go see it at midnight opening with blue balls.

And I don't even prefer them to go see the midnight openings, I only did this once just so I could see how they handled it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kal-L posted:

So, fun times here in Mexico. Cinemex, one of the largest cinema chains in the country, just announced today that they won't be showing Suicide Squad due to negotiation troubles with their distributor.

Which leaves me and about 100 thousand other people that planned to go see it at midnight opening with blue balls.

And I don't even prefer them to go see the midnight openings, I only did this once just so I could see how they handled it.

Holy crap, is WB going to intervene or something? Because Mexico was one of the biggest international markets for Batman v Superman. Only China, Brazil and the UK were bigger.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Well, according to this interview with one of the chain's higher-ups, the trouble started when Universal, which distributes the WB movies here, decided to change the agreed conditions, and if Cinemex accepted, they would incur a big loss.

If anything, I expect that WB will have a very stern talking to with Universal about this poo poo. Meanwhile, it seems we will get like 10 free tickets out of this. Which is kinda nice, since they're my to-go cinema to see Disney and comedy films with my family.

Hell, maybe I'll get one of those Suicide Squad popcorn buckets for free.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can't you just hop over to a Cinepolis or are they co-owned now or something?

Last time I was in Mexico to watch a movie I think it was Superman Returns (and I believe I still have the collector's cap too)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

To see this weekend? Sure, I can go to another chain. For seeing it today, at midnight opening? Like I said, me and 100 thousand others got screwed. In fact, at this moment I should've been at my seat, seeing like 15 minutes of ads before the movie.

Edit: I'll just crack open a beer and see another episode of Stranger Things.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 5, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're doing you a favor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked Suicide Squad except the terrible soundtrack arrangement, parts of the editing and dialogue in the third act and Cara Delevingne. God she's terrible. It's still far better than BvS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Seriously, people don't like Wentworth Miller?

He can't act at all. He just has a dumb face that can't convey emotions and his idea of emotional range is how loud he whisper-yells.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kal-L posted:

To see this weekend? Sure, I can go to another chain. For seeing it today, at midnight opening? Like I said, me and 100 thousand others got screwed. In fact, at this moment I should've been at my seat, seeing like 15 minutes of ads before the movie.

How big of a chain is it? Are we talking all across the country? If so it could really hurt the movie's international numbers and that would be a huge blow after also losing out on getting it in China.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kal-L posted:

This is an excellent decision

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

RevKrule posted:

Let's be honest, if DC were making Spider-Man 3, they'd make Batman And Robin again.

You know, at this point, I would be delighted if they made Batman and Robin again.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

It feels like someone, somewhere in the process doesn't trust audiences not to laugh at Superman if he's 'corny' or too much of a 'boy scout'.

I agreed with a lot of what you said, but I especially want to highlight this. It's one of my big problems with the DCCU as it currently exists. And it plagues all adaptations of Superman. The Superman in Injustice is flat out the villain, the Superman in War is a prick, etc. Weirdly enough, the only "Heart of the Universe" Superman I feel like I'm getting is from his actual comic. And sure enough, everyone who reads that comic absolutely adores it. The adaptations, as you said, don't seem to trust mass audiences with Superman. He's written as if he comes with an apology. The glowing eyes of rage and playing up whatever shades of gray could exist in his mythology feels like it's trying to get in front of all the talk of Superman being boring. Like I see Batman's "So I hear you can talk to fish" or whatever from the Justice League commercial and it's the same thing. Writers feel like they need to do something to get around that conversation before it even happens and all that does is spur the very conversation they were trying to avoid.

It's actually something I really like about The Flash series. That show has definitely had its awful moments, but it often feels pretty unapologetic. Like they're doing Kid Flash, costume and all. That's nuts, because that costume absolutely does not work in live action, but gently caress it. They're doing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SonicRulez posted:

It's actually something I really like about The Flash series. That show has definitely had its awful moments, but it often feels pretty unapologetic. Like they're doing Kid Flash, costume and all. That's nuts, because that costume absolutely does not work in live action, but gently caress it. They're doing it.

I think it'd work if he had the hair for it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The most worrying part of this latest debacle is everyone singling out Cara Delevigne as being especially terrible, it's starting to make me nervous for Valerian... :ohdear:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought that Kid Flash costume was some tumblr/deviantart mash up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I agreed with a lot of what you said, but I especially want to highlight this. It's one of my big problems with the DCCU as it currently exists. And it plagues all adaptations of Superman. The Superman in Injustice is flat out the villain, the Superman in War is a prick, etc. Weirdly enough, the only "Heart of the Universe" Superman I feel like I'm getting is from his actual comic. And sure enough, everyone who reads that comic absolutely adores it. The adaptations, as you said, don't seem to trust mass audiences with Superman. He's written as if he comes with an apology. The glowing eyes of rage and playing up whatever shades of gray could exist in his mythology feels like it's trying to get in front of all the talk of Superman being boring. Like I see Batman's "So I hear you can talk to fish" or whatever from the Justice League commercial and it's the same thing. Writers feel like they need to do something to get around that conversation before it even happens and all that does is spur the very conversation they were trying to avoid.

There's 2 Supermen in Injustice. The playable one is the good guy one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Now I'm super interested in how the movie performs financially, after what I was sure was gonna be DC's first unequivocal success I'm now fairly certain it's gonna be another financial disappointment - possibly a disaster if those "worse than Fantastic Four" reviews are accurate.

I imagine it'll be one of those movies where it makes loads of money but it's still a disappointment, like Amazing Spider-Man 2. Or, indeed, BvS itself, where it's one of the top five movies of the year so far, was number-one everywhere in the world and made something like $900m, but was still a "disappointment" because it didn't earn a billion dollars. I mean, that's still better - and a lot better - than every MCU movie except the two Avengers ones, IM3 (which was following up the first Avengers) and Cap 3 (which had all the Avengers in it anyway).

I guess it must be annoying to WB for Disney to have the top three (I think Cap 3, Zootropolis and the live-action Jungle Book are the top three so far?) and potentially the top four if Rogue One does well enough (did Finding Dory get anywhere close to BvS?).

Suicide Squad needs to get $800m to break even, right? That seems a bit mad to me. I imagine the movie itself must have cost about $200m (that's about the standard for action blockbusters nowadays), so how much were they spending on marketing it?

(I'm fascinated by this sort of thing even if I don't really understand it. :shobon:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogue One is another one with constant studio interference stories.

They've basically kicked Edwards out and brought in a fixer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My guess is that SS opens big and has a big drop off before settling around $250-300 mil domestic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Falstaff posted:

You may be right, maybe I'm being incoherent. Still, I don't think I'd get the guy who thought the very concept was worthless to write the script for what my studio expects to be the biggest hit of the year.
As the article indicates, that quote is from a decade or more ago. I don't think it has any bearing.

quote:

This is what I mean by a lack of respect for the character. Maybe it's unrealistic or even dumb to portray a Tony Stark-esque figure, who as you say goes around the world killing "bad guys" with his riches, as anything but damaged and childish. That's even an argument that I'd be somewhat sympathetic to, if it was presented the right way. But in as much as Batman as a character is defined as "a rich but flawed man who wants to keep what happened to him as a child from happening to anyone else," it suggests that you don't really respect that more mainstream interpretation - what a lot of Batman fans who grew up with TAS would consider an important, even core, of the character.
I also love Batman stuff. I want to see Batman punch people and throw Batarangs at them. I've even gone to bat (ho ho) for the way the character is used in various media when people say that he's a fascist, which I find is usually a lazy, half-clever criticism. But I want media to actually engage with his depiction as a billionaire vigilante.

The Marvel movies centering on Tony Stark are "fun" because everything is framed around this small group of characters who are friends. As I said in another thread, you'll never see an alternate history movie where Truman fires Douglas MacArthur, MacArthur responds by staging a military coup, and in the end they make up and are friends again. But that's the kind of logic that audiences are convinced to accept in Captain America: Civil War, because (among other reasons) the violence of their actions is abstracted into a fist-fight with no civilian casualties. Viewers will cheer for Tony Stark saying "I've just privatized world peace." Because it's his movie, and Tony Stark protects a neoliberal status quo, and he's "quirky" with "relatable" flaws.

And a core part of Snyder's work is about what people will just passively accept if you just tell the story in the right way.

quote:

If you respected the source material, you wouldn't work so hard to reject it in favour of your own vision. You'd work at seeking a synthesis.
BvS rejects synthesis. It examines the question of whether Superman should become a tyrant or protect the status quo, and says no to both, without "synthesizing" them into a cheerful but lazy middle ground where he is the Friendly Neighbourhood Superman.

SonicRulez posted:

The adaptations, as you said, don't seem to trust mass audiences with Superman. He's written as if he comes with an apology.
Superman in BvS is unapologetic, and that's what freaks people out. The most common complaint is that he needs more big neon signs reading "good guy" with an arrow pointing at him. (I was pleased with the additional scenes in the Ultimate cut depicting him as a symbol of hope, but some of the demands from fans are ridiculous.)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

The most worrying part of this latest debacle is everyone singling out Cara Delevigne as being especially terrible, it's starting to make me nervous for Valerian... :ohdear:

She's not bad, but at times, she's doing something really weird. There are points where the Enchantress effects don't seem entirely done. There are other bits where she is
sort of dancing/wobbling to activate her powers? I am not an expert but it feels like a direction issue, not an acting one. She's great as June Moone, who's afraid of letting the Enchantress
out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine it'll be one of those movies where it makes loads of money but it's still a disappointment, like Amazing Spider-Man 2. Or, indeed, BvS itself, where it's one of the top five movies of the year so far, was number-one everywhere in the world and made something like $900m, but was still a "disappointment" because it didn't earn a billion dollars. I mean, that's still better - and a lot better - than every MCU movie except the two Avengers ones, IM3 (which was following up the first Avengers) and Cap 3 (which had all the Avengers in it anyway).

I guess it must be annoying to WB for Disney to have the top three (I think Cap 3, Zootropolis and the live-action Jungle Book are the top three so far?) and potentially the top four if Rogue One does well enough (did Finding Dory get anywhere close to BvS?).

Suicide Squad needs to get $800m to break even, right? That seems a bit mad to me. I imagine the movie itself must have cost about $200m (that's about the standard for action blockbusters nowadays), so how much were they spending on marketing it?

(I'm fascinated by this sort of thing even if I don't really understand it. :shobon:)

Finding Dory is actually the #1 Domestic Box office of 2016. It just barely edged out Civil War.

Civil War made a lot more internationally though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is he doesn't execute that very well. In that heseems to see the questions answer as self evident so never bothers to answer it. Which was the loving point.

I think this is a problem Marvel also faced, and had issues resolving. The whole first half of Captain America: The First Avenger revolves around building up who Steve Rogers is and persuading viewers that Steve really is that good of a guy and that unironically a good thing. For all the flaws with the second half of the film and how it ties into the first, I think Marvel does a much better job selling their Big Blue Boy Scout than DC's been doing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Halloween Jack posted:

As the article indicates, that quote is from a decade or more ago. I don't think it has any bearing.

I also love Batman stuff. I want to see Batman punch people and throw Batarangs at them. I've even gone to bat (ho ho) for the way the character is used in various media when people say that he's a fascist, which I find is usually a lazy, half-clever criticism. But I want media to actually engage with his depiction as a billionaire vigilante.

The Marvel movies centering on Tony Stark are "fun" because everything is framed around this small group of characters who are friends. As I said in another thread, you'll never see an alternate history movie where Truman fires Douglas MacArthur, MacArthur responds by staging a military coup, and in the end they make up and are friends again. But that's the kind of logic that audiences are convinced to accept in Captain America: Civil War, because (among other reasons) the violence of their actions is abstracted into a fist-fight with no civilian casualties. Viewers will cheer for Tony Stark saying "I've just privatized world peace." Because it's his movie, and Tony Stark protects a neoliberal status quo, and he's "quirky" with "relatable" flaws.

And a core part of Snyder's work is about what people will just passively accept if you just tell the story in the right way.

BvS rejects synthesis. It examines the question of whether Superman should become a tyrant or protect the status quo, and says no to both, without "synthesizing" them into a cheerful but lazy middle ground where he is the Friendly Neighbourhood Superman.

Superman in BvS is unapologetic, and that's what freaks people out. The most common complaint is that he needs more big neon signs reading "good guy" with an arrow pointing at him. (I was pleased with the additional scenes in the Ultimate cut depicting him as a symbol of hope, but some of the demands from fans are ridiculous.)

Dude, you're not making yourself look less smug and pretentious by posting poo poo like this, especially when you use words like loving "neoliberal." All you're doing here is finding 5 More Reasons Marvel Movies Are Secretly Horrifying and stating How DC Gets It Right To The Expense Of The Idiot Viewer. That's not enough.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: Incorrect

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 5, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Halloween Jack posted:

I respect your opinions on the movie, but I cannot take you seriously when you say that any part of BvS is unapologetic. This is the same movie that makes sure to repeat THANK GOD THAT AREA WAS UNINHABITED during the last 45 minutes or so. That's a blatant apology for Man of Steel. It's really not that people need overt signs of Superman being a good guy. I think the complaint is that his moments of being good are juxtaposed against him questioning whether he should even bother and whatever directing told Cavill to frown in all of his appearances. Superman can't just be the guy saving victims of Not Katrina from their homes. If he did that with a smile, people might give it a dismissive wanking motion. So instead he does it while looking as alien as possible and the movie at least presents viewers with the thought of "What if Superman said 'gently caress it' and went home to Lois forever?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Suicide Squad had a 20.5 million dollar Thursday. For comparison's sake, BvS had a 27.7 million Thursday leading in to a 166 million first weekend, so if we assume the proportions are the same (considering it's the same studio and similar RT scores), we're looking at a 122 million first weekend. I think that's a very safe estimate for SS, because unlike BvS SS doesn't have the branding or name recognition that the former does to overcome the bad press/reviews. Although, on the other hand, DCEU movies do very well first weekend (before the bottom drops out on them), so I could also see Box Office Mojo's estimate of 145 million being accurate. That seems really high to me, though, just because the reviews are so uniformly negative and this is coming at the tail end of superhero movie overload, as opposed to the very beginning of it (which, undoubtedly, helped BvS' numbers; audience exhaustion seems to be a real factor in ticket sales, as seen with Apocalypse and even arguably Civil War).

I dunno, I'm seeing a wide range in possible outcomes for SS. The only thing I'm fairly certain of is that no matter what the number ends up being, we're gonna see a 70%+ drop going into weekend two, considering it's getting equivalent review scores to BvS and has less inherent name recognition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I also know about boxofficemojo.com.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just watched it, and while it wasn't good, it was not as bad as BvS, and certainly not as bad as Fantastic Four.

The most glaring problem to me was the lack of an arc for anyone. Not a single character is changed by the end of the movie, except maybe for the one guy who's now dead, and that now they're all friends for some reason, even though barely anything led up to that. Considering the title of the movie, it's a major failing that they barely interact with each other. In fact, I feel the movie spends a disproportionate amount of time showing random soldiers fighting instead of the squad doing anything special that shows they're indispensable.

By the time the bar scene happens, it seems like we're meant to see that they're already friends, which just doesn't ring true. Deadshot and Harley, okay--at least they traded words beforehand, albeit briefly. Croc, though? He casually jokes with them like they're old pals despite having had only like... two lines up to that point? None of which were even spoken to the team. All of Boomerang's dialogue was about how lovely the task force is, so there really wasn't a compelling reason for him or Croc to go back to help after Flagg let them go--and hell, there wasn't even a compelling reason for Flagg to let them go either! Most of the intra-team dialogue was just Flagg talking at them!

And let's not even get started on Katana.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Toxxupation posted:

ed: Incorrect
I don't mean to pick on you for something you retracted, but IIRC you said something really interesting: that the most neoliberal response would be for Stark to give everyone Iron Man suits, just made "safe."

He does something similar. He announces that he's going to stop making weapons. Then he decides to invest in clean energy, which he'll share with the world. Then he goes into his basement and makes more weapons, but only for himself. This is a pattern with him; making or agreeing to policies because he knows he can just break the rules whenever he feels like it.

SonicRulez posted:

I respect your opinions on the movie, but I cannot take you seriously when you say that any part of BvS is unapologetic. This is the same movie that makes sure to repeat THANK GOD THAT AREA WAS UNINHABITED during the last 45 minutes or so. That's a blatant apology for Man of Steel.
Point taken. I believe the Ultimate Cut removes that Anderson Cooper scene, but yes, it's cringeworthy.

MrAristocrates posted:

All you're doing here is finding 5 More Reasons Marvel Movies Are Secretly Horrifying and stating How DC Gets It Right To The Expense Of The Idiot Viewer. That's not enough.
I haven't seen any memes or "hot takes" to that effect, if you'd like to link to some. I've only seen purely negative memes about the film being repeated and amplified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

A lot of DC Media feels like, for a long time, it has been embarrassed that the source material is comic books. The Arrow TV show, the whole Nolan bat series, Man of Steel + BvS, and now SS. It feels like a large amount of the companies think that if they are basing themselves off comics ,that's something embarrassing and bad for them, so they have to change it up.

• Locked thread