Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I like to believe that no one is irredeemable. But still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Serious Frolicking posted:

his appearance and methods have changed a lot over the years. i know he had the giant chin when he was serving as the iranian ambassador, so 80's?

It's almost as if he was three different people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Oh when Tim Sale does it y'all can't stop jizzing but one some internet rando does it....

This is terrible. And I like Sale.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's another case of Squirrel Girl-itis in that it looks a lot better when you're reading it and not just an out of context panel. Obviously it doesn't look realistic but I like the dream like hazy cartoon art of TLH.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I love The Long Halloween but the way the Joker is drawn in it is terrible. It's always bugged me, every other character is just slightly more cartoonish in a way that works but when it came to the Joker he went completely off the rails.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only animals that die after that are assholes.

e: And that girl's dog is a total Jason Bourne hero.

Oh my god, the hound is called Sandor! :3: :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only makes sense if the next page is him cussing the kid out for being dumb enough to fall off the building.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Benito Cereno posted:

I would say Neal Adams probably. He exaggerates it a little, but by the time you've got Jose Luis Garcia Lopez drawing it, it's pretty crazy. Anyway, it's definitely a Bronze Age thing. Joker didn't appear that much in the Silver Age.

I'd say Aparo deserves some of the credit/blame too -- he drew the Joker's face thinner than Adams, and stretched out his chin even further to the point where his head is practically crescent-shaped.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Selachian posted:

I'd say Aparo deserves some of the credit/blame too -- he drew the Joker's face thinner than Adams, and stretched out his chin even further to the point where his head is practically crescent-shaped.

After this scene the Joker starts playing a piano and telling the delegates how great the McDLT was.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 5, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unlucky7 posted:

Someone made a Joker fancomic. I think it is pretty good, but I am not confident in my taste.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PzrlX

Definitely better than anything DC's done with the guy in a long time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked that fancomic too, imagining the logistics and prep-work that goes on behind the scenes is a classic vein of material to mine in many areas beyond superheroes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I kind of wish that this was a side of the Joker explored more. The guy who works really loving hard to get poo poo done, all according to his flawed and hosed up philosophy. In the same way that Superman's villain is a rich Corporate leader who gets whatever he wants, Batman's is practically a blue collar guy who has to do a lot of poo poo to get close to the head of the local departments store chain to off him. All on the behalf of The Penguin so he can import a small fleet of tanks to complete Joker's next plan.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I like the little "Racist?" above the sketch of the Elephant King costume. As if he actually cares if something he does could be racist. As though Joker says "Whoa. I'm going to slowly and methodically murder this room full of 'African Americans', Steve. The term is 'African Americans', you hate monger."

I always kind of wanted a comic about the everyday people who were in the business. I'd kind of like more stories about The Tailor - an actual character who does costuming work for heroes and villains. His place of business is neutral ground, no body fucks with him because both sides would come and get you. On the one hand you could have him be responsible for the lousy costumes from years past (or present), or he could just grudgingly kowtow to what the people want with an "I told you so" a few years later.

The idea is very niche and straight out of the Silver Age, but I'd like to see it if only as a side story in some light-hearted comic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

I like the little "Racist?" above the sketch of the Elephant King costume. As if he actually cares if something he does could be racist. As though Joker says "Whoa. I'm going to slowly and methodically murder this room full of 'African Americans', Steve. The term is 'African Americans', you hate monger."

Hey, everyone has standards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Of all the Batman villains, Joker probably cares the most about the perception of his crimes. He reaaally wants people to get his weirdo crazy-rear end point. So yeah, he would be worried about racism muddling the message.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Again, think of a comedian crafting a joke. Sure you wanna make folks laugh, but ideally you want them to laugh at the joke you're trying to tell.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

Of all the Batman villains, Joker probably cares the most about the perception of his crimes. He reaaally wants people to get his weirdo crazy-rear end point. So yeah, he would be worried about racism muddling the message.

Yeah, he's no NAZI or anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, like the Joker doesn't have some deeply-held anti-racist beliefs. He doesn't have ANY beliefs, really.

But he's a sick, evil artist and he wants people to Get The Joke.

More than anything, he wants to make Batman laugh.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Great subtle details in the background, nice references without being "references" i.e. something out of character, I can see Joker actually writing notes like "All work and no play makes Jack adult boy" (right near the Finance section of the board, to boot). Really helps sell the whole story by making the whole thing feel legitimately lived in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah, he's no NAZI or anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Not sure there's a big enough :rolleyes: for this

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Joker is exactly the kind of guy the gesture of rolling your eyes was invented for, I find it perfectly in character.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that one only works if you headcanon it as the Joker knowingly doing a bit because it's metatextually kind-of funny.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If it helps the context any, that's from a crossover that took place in the 40s, and the mafia was opposed to the Nazis, so I hear. It works if it's a version of the Joker that's more just an eccentric archcriminal as opposed to some rear end in a top hat rambling about chaos and murdering innocent people for fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The real reason is that John Byrne is bad.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I liked it more when it happened at the end of The Rocketeer.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that one only works if you headcanon it as the Joker knowingly doing a bit because it's metatextually kind-of funny.

He basically is? That happens right after he steals an atomic bomb from the government.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

The real reason is that John Byrne is bad.

This.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

WickedHate posted:

If it helps the context any, that's from a crossover that took place in the 40s, and the mafia was opposed to the Nazis, so I hear. It works if it's a version of the Joker that's more just an eccentric archcriminal as opposed to some rear end in a top hat rambling about chaos and murdering innocent people for fun.

the sicillian mafia were opposed to the italian fascists and were used by america to carry out partisan operations, in exchange for a soft hand under the post war/occupation governments.

whether this would carry over to american organized crime groups and nazis is anybodys guess.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

thatbastardken posted:

the sicillian mafia were opposed to the italian fascists and were used by america to carry out partisan operations, in exchange for a soft hand under the post war/occupation governments.

whether this would carry over to american organized crime groups and nazis is anybodys guess.

As I recall, the US Government tried to use the mob (who did speak out against the Nazis and Mussolini) against 5th columnists and tried to have them funnel war materiel back to Sicily. Unfortunately, most of it never left America, being sold on black markets in North America.

To be fair, not sure where I read that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's true

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

(Jojo)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nazis don't know it's not bacon!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

It wasn't because of the goodness of their hearts though. Supposedly Mussolini's war against the mob started when Mussolini visited Sicily in 1924 and was greeted by local mob boss Francesco Cuccia. He then said to Mussolini that he didn't need all his bodyguards since Mussolini was under Cuccia's protection. Mussolini was insulted by this remark and Cuccia was insulted by Mussolini insistence of keeping his bodyguards. So Cuccia emptied the square when Mussolini held his speech and when Mussolini returned to Rome he gave Cesare Mori (known in Italy as the "Iron Prefect") carte blanche to destroy the mob.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As I recall, the US Government tried to use the mob (who did speak out against the Nazis and Mussolini) against 5th columnists and tried to have them funnel war materiel back to Sicily. Unfortunately, most of it never left America, being sold on black markets in North America.

To be fair, not sure where I read that.

I've also heard, and Wikipedia seems to bear me out, was that the Mafia offered to keep the docks working for the war effort, in exchange for a certain amount of clemency.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 5, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Can confirm.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I actually read about the mob* and basically there was an explosion at the Brooklyn docks which may have been an accident or may have been sabatoge. The FBI approached the mob boss Lucky Luciano who was in prison for help guarding against sabatoge in exchange for being released early. As well when they landed in Sicily they turned to American mobsters who had been exiled there for help.

(Selwyn Rabb is my go to author)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Is nobody going to point out the fact that Red Skull is a Marvel villain and Joker is DC? Was that a crossover, or yet another occurrence of the two companies just blatantly stealing characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Is nobody going to point out the fact that Red Skull is a Marvel villain and Joker is DC? Was that a crossover, or yet another occurrence of the two companies just blatantly stealing characters?

It doesn't need to be pointed out because uh, everyone knows?