Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Is there a mod or is it just regular coop, where you can both control the same army in a battle? Like archon mode in SC2. Otherwise I can see it getting boring for someone if they're not fighting.

In regular coop the owner of the army can gift units for the other player to use. Just click Spectate as the other player, and in the battle the owner selects the unit and then clicks Gift in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Flakey posted:

In regular coop the owner of the army can gift units for the other player to use. Just click Spectate as the other player, and in the battle the owner selects the unit and then clicks Gift in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Thanks. I feel like there is a ton of functionality buried in this that I had no idea even existed.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Nooo turn 140~ of the Beastmen grand campaign and I'm starting to chain autoresolves again. Every time you do it makes the next time easier. Maybe I just need to play shorter sessions.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fangz posted:

It doesn't really make sense to do that because a stack that isn't doing anything is costing you more than 2000 favour per turn. So sending a stack to the north to replenish is actually costing you a minimum of 6000 favour in upkeep during those wasted turns, which is far more than the cost of recruiting new troops, assuming you stack stuff like Inspiration on exalted champions.

Healing up lords and mages and heroes is usually worth it in my experience

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Just picked up this a few days ago and I'm a little confused on some of the Empire buildings.

For the special buildings (only available in a single city and confer a unit bonus) does it apply faction-wide, or only to units trained in that province?

Also, if I build an armory in one province, does it count for unit requirements in another? Or do I need all the required buildings in the same province to build a unit in that province?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pikey posted:

Just picked up this a few days ago and I'm a little confused on some of the Empire buildings.

For the special buildings (only available in a single city and confer a unit bonus) does it apply faction-wide, or only to units trained in that province?

Also, if I build an armory in one province, does it count for unit requirements in another? Or do I need all the required buildings in the same province to build a unit in that province?

Unless it says (factionwide) the bonus only applies to your current province.

You need all of the unit requirements in the same province, so it's tough to have an 'all in one' recruitment province without sacrificing some other good buildings. I usually specialize in provinces. Also, some provinces have resources or special buildings which makes them get bonuses to recruiting certain kinds of troops.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Is there a mod that makes it so legendary lords can die? Can't find one searching in the workshop.

Edit: Found one that sets their wound state to 1000 turns but I guess it doesn't work post Beastmen.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 5, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I feel like in an all the gnashing of teeth over Devolve and our collective slack-jawed wonder that damage spells are more than just light shows we missed a big change in the magic rebalance. Specifically, am I the only one who noticed that they made Net of Amyntok crazy as gently caress now???

Hey magic changes what happened to the Net of...

Pardon me?

Uh... I... *tugs collar*

WHAT

*punches calculator*

HOLY JESUS SIGMAR

Yeah folks, 478 gold gets you 84 continuous seconds of immobilized enemies in a generous AOE. 84 seconds of non-stop hangunner shots, artillery fire, Spicy Hot Franz Drops, or whatever else you can think of. Stay safe out there MP gamers....

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nanomashoes posted:

Healing up lords and mages and heroes is usually worth it in my experience

That was the greatest challenge I had in Chaos games. My generals would be on life support and the need to constantly autoresolve sackings of towns meant any really pricey units were also in need of repair. It's kind of why I stopped playing Chaos, I hated having to run to the north again to reheal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Light magic supremacy. The starting bolts spell actually does decent damage for those times where your other stuff is on cooldown, but the net spell is just ludicrous for the Empire combined arms playstyle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

Light magic supremacy. The starting bolts spell actually does decent damage for those times where your other stuff is on cooldown, but the net spell is just ludicrous for the Empire combined arms playstyle.

Yeah that's what gets me. It was already a really good spell even before the magic rebalance. And then they almost doubled the durations. Like, I'm not sure what led them to believe that it needed a buff but holey moley did they buff it anyway, and how! And then at the same time they add items to heroes so you can buy a low-cost scroll that instantly resets the whole thing. That is really what takes it into major lmao territory.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 5, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel like in an all the gnashing of teeth over Devolve and our collective slack-jawed wonder that damage spells are more than just light shows we missed a big change in the magic rebalance. Specifically, am I the only one who noticed that they made Net of Amyntok crazy as gently caress now???

Hey magic changes what happened to the Net of...

Pardon me?

Uh... I... *tugs collar*

WHAT

*punches calculator*

HOLY JESUS SIGMAR

Yeah folks, 478 gold gets you 84 continuous seconds of immobilized enemies in a generous AOE. 84 seconds of non-stop hangunner shots, artillery fire, Spicy Hot Franz Drops, or whatever else you can think of. Stay safe out there MP gamers....

No yeah, that's pretty much a given that it's pretty good. In practice people play around it a bit by using wider formations against the Empire which makes it tough to get more than one or two units but yeah, trash the AI for free.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Nooo turn 140~ of the Beastmen grand campaign and I'm starting to chain autoresolves again. Every time you do it makes the next time easier. Maybe I just need to play shorter sessions.

Here is the solution to your auto resolve sickness: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705086465&searchtext=auto+resolve

Now go ahead and enjoy the game!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is it weird that I play the battles almost exclusively from the tactical map?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you ignore the dwarves it seems that CA has decided the best way to balance MP is to make every faction has comically overpowered as possible in their own special way

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The undocumented changes to magic on the last patch are indeed 200% crazy. They also increased the damage on magic missile type spells. To balance this (:rolleyes:), they decreased the hit chance for close targets.

How they reached the conclusion of - magic missile, not doing enough damage at long range, is anyone's guess.

Hey at least they are going to nerf devolve fast.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I've been playing kind of a gimmick campaign of all Goblins/spiders, and this is pretty fun. The fact that all my units have poison is pretty nice, and proper abuse of the little Waaaaaaagh! means I don't worry about armor too much.
Would be nice to have an LL for them though, I've been using Azhag just because he seems more sympathetic to the gobbo plight.

ed: oh man, I just thought of something cool. Gobbo Legendary Lord, unlocks ambush move for any army consisting of all goblins! That would be sensational.

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 5, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

KillerQueen posted:

I've been playing kind of a gimmick campaign of all Goblins/spiders, and this is pretty fun. The fact that all my units have poison is pretty nice, and proper abuse of the little Waaaaaaagh! means I don't worry about armor too much.
Would be nice to have an LL for them though, I've been using Azhag just because he seems more sympathetic to the gobbo plight.

ed: oh man, I just thought of something cool. Gobbo Legendary Lord, unlocks ambush move for any army consisting of all goblins! That would be sensational.

That would be Skarsnik, the trickiest Night Goblin alive. There's no telling when he will be added, but I'm willing to bet he'll feature in a Karak Eight Peaks mini-campaign alongside all the missing Squigs and Snotlings.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Triskelli posted:

That would be Skarsnik, the trickiest Night Goblin alive. There's no telling when he will be added, but I'm willing to bet he'll feature in a Karak Eight Peaks mini-campaign alongside all the missing Squigs and Snotlings.

:homebrew:

This is what I want.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I will not be happy until I can break enemy lines with exploding squigs

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
If I don't get around to doing Malagor and Kahzrak's first quests that involve razing 5 Imperial settlements and the Empire is no more, do I just not get to finish those quests?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

If I don't get around to doing Malagor and Kahzrak's first quests that involve razing 5 Imperial settlements and the Empire is no more, do I just not get to finish those quests?

Do they have to be empire or can they be any human settlement?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Guess I'm getting better at this; I never played Attilla so this was my first time playing a 'horde' style, and my first Chaos run was pretty mixed. Also had some trouble with beastmen, but tried a few things and learned from it. Went back and started a new Chaos campaign and now I'm cutting a swath across the map like a hot knife through butter, I've got a huuuuuge warchest of cash, and I'm just rolling humans and dwarves like they're nothing. I think it just took me awhile to adapt to how different the overall map strategy is for a horde race.

I don't mind Chaos starting up north and only having 1 stack vs beastmen, but boy do you miss having the beastpath movement ability and the ambush stance.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Do they have to be empire or can they be any human settlement?

They have to be empire by race, so no Bretons or Nords.

I guess the game gives you new objectives if you flub the previous one, but one of them might be bugged or overly literal. It asked me to ensure a Pile of Flesh is constructed in Kahzrak's horde. I have the upgraded version of that building but it hasn't given me credit for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone have a saved post about how to play beastman? I've never played aHorde and got smacked down pretty quickly.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

goodness posted:

Anyone have a saved post about how to play beastman? I've never played aHorde and got smacked down pretty quickly.
1. Minotaur charge everything they can reach
2. Centigor charge those pesky 2nd line units your minotaurs couldn't reach

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

goodness posted:

I'm not an expert and I'm only playing at normal difficulty but here's my 0.02 bitcoins:

#1a with a bullet - Learn to move a little and encamp defensively to avoid getting benny hill'ed around the map.
#1b with a bullet - Learn to use Beastwalk to get away from people. You're a guerrilla army, embrace it. You sneak around and beastwalk around until you isolate someone or can pull off a successful ambush.
2a Gorebulls
2b Minotaurs
3. More Minotaurs
4. Ungor Raiders

Seriously, minotaurs are amazing and will smash through line after line of idiot infantry. Gorebulls are the same but will absolutely wreck pretty much nearly any lord singlehandedly.

Minotaurs and gorebulls also make sieges hilarious because they'll headbutt the door down in about 30 seconds and a couple of gore bulls and 4-6 units of minotaurs will crush the infantry waiting on the other side and the rout is on.

Dogs and then Centigors are solid for chasing stuff down.

My primary army is typically:
LL
2 Gorebulls
3 Shield Minotaur units
3 Greatweapon Minotaur units
4 Ungor Raiders
2 Spear units to protect Raider flanks.
2 Giants
3 Centigor units for chase downs/flanks on Archers

In battle I like to use the Raiders vanguard move to put them as close to the front as possible with the Centigors out to the side. Group up the Gorebull/Minotaur kill squad.

After starting battle I have the Raiders try to take out a unit in the mean time, move up the rest of my army and send the centigors around back. If there's non-missile cavalry then I don't put the Raiders up as far as normal and try to use the raiders as a lure. If there isn't a lot of cav then the raiders just focus fire on a unit to get it to route before the Minotaur kill squad shows up. Centigors loop around back.

Rush in the minotaurs, move up the spears to protect the raiders as the raiders fall back. LL (usually Malagor) drops 2 AoEs, Giants eventually make it in. By that time all spear infantry is engaged/routing and the Centigors are rear charging non-mounted archers as a first priority.

I try to focus my 2 gorebulls on the enemy lord and the Raiders keep firing while the Spear infantry moves in to assist assuming there's no cav to worry about. Rarely fails to work against the AI.

For research priorities:
Priority 1: Grisly Trophies -> Hives of Pestilence. Because early game rushing horde growth is key to getting the good stuff unlocked.
Priority 2: Beastly Stupor -> Kalkengard Larder -> Encircled Prey. Because I really like the 10% speed.
Priority 3: Defiled Honour.
After that it's a little more loose for me, but usually Ancient Beast Paths followed by Endless Hunt/Fell Rituals and then the + experience for Centigors and reduced hero action cost. A good, active army with all of the reduced upkeep buildings for your main units will be swimming in cash so I don't prioritize the +raiding and +razing income ones.

For horde buildings I rush great weapon minotaurs so I can have them and my 2 gorebulls and then it's a balancing act but I put a high priority on the reduced upkeep building chain. Normally the starting army only needs a few more raiders and 4 minotaurs along with the GIant and spears to be running around wrecking and razing so I prefer the reduced upkeep cost chain as an alternative to raiding for income which I never had to do once I figured this out.

Once you've got your army built it's really just a matter of dictating the terms of engagement and trying to get as many ambushes as possible. A fast hard hitting army with ambush is amazing. In my last game I was getting followed by Grimgor and some other rear end in a top hat and my Brayherd popped and attacked one of the stacks so we both got to doubleteam it since it was a successful ambush. Run away with beastwalk or hide with encamp when the odds aren't in your favor.

It's easily my favorite army to play in this game once I figured out I needed to embrace the guerrilla warfare aspect and not act like a giant unkillable legion like I would with regular Chaos.
Beastly Stupor ->

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goodness posted:

The big thing that took me awhile with hordes is you have to really change up your mentality.

Normally you have your empire to protect so you attack your neighbors and slowly expand while building up and remaining relatively safe.

With hordes you don't do that at ALL. You want to embrace being nomadic.

A. B. R.

A - Always
B - Be
R - Raiding (/Razing)

You want to be either raiding in enemy territory and making income from it OR better yet razing city after city for sweet income or growth.

But you don't want to try to kill everybody or conquer territory since you can't hold territory anyways. Everything is temporary. You're free to move around as you please. Borders don't mean anything to you the way they normally do.

So any weak targets you see, attack them and burn them to the ground. But if you see any cities that could put up a decent fight, don't even bother. Just run right through their lands while raiding. You'll make income and you won't lose your soldiers. If their army wants to come chase you down and fight you 1-on-1 on the field, then go for it. But then they have to split away from the garrison forces and it makes it easier for you.

Feel free to just waltz right through enemy territory left and right; most of them will be terrified of you unless they're a deathstar that can obliterate you.

Abuse the hell out of beastmen paths to get where you're going really fast, really explore the map. Rampage all the gently caress over the place taking out weak targets, don't worry so much about trying to hold territory or beating down this faction or that faction.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it safe to switch out my Swordsmen for Halberdiers once Chaos comes a-knockin'? Marauder Horsemen are dicks, but the real danger is in the Chaos Warriors, Knights, and the monsters, yes?

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have tips for starting a VH Dwarf Campaign? I've started a couple times by consolidating the Silver Road and completing the first quest for the Thane, and right around that time a full Orc stack + Waagghh shows up at my doorstep. Is there a different strategy I should try in those first 15 turns? Or is it just a matter of being able to roll in Hard but needing a 2 steps forward 1 step back mentality in Very Hard?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it safe to switch out my Swordsmen for Halberdiers once Chaos comes a-knockin'? Marauder Horsemen are dicks, but the real danger is in the Chaos Warriors, Knights, and the monsters, yes?

halberdiers get armor piercing and anti large in one weapon and their main weakness is ranged units which aren't a threat when fighting chaos so yeah

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Curl_like_smoke posted:

Does anyone have tips for starting a VH Dwarf Campaign? I've started a couple times by consolidating the Silver Road and completing the first quest for the Thane, and right around that time a full Orc stack + Waagghh shows up at my doorstep. Is there a different strategy I should try in those first 15 turns? Or is it just a matter of being able to roll in Hard but needing a 2 steps forward 1 step back mentality in Very Hard?

Buy a money building first and then garrison building in your two settlements. That'll afford you a full stack, which most Orc armies will lose against.

Against a Waaagh! combo, use ambush in range of the settlement's red circle. If the ambush whiffs, you'll have backup. Corner camp if you must; Dwarves can take a serious beating while your Quarrelers will kill every single early game unit the Orcs have.

Max out growth and get walls on the two ASAP. Once they're fortified and Grimgor knocks himself out on your dawi wall, buy a smaller garrison stack of like 4 Quarrelers and 2 Warriors to keep watch at home and roll out with your Legendary Lord. Try to get peace with Grimgor too; that'll leave you free to conquer/confederate west to get a port for more money.

EDIT: ^^^ cool duder, ty

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some beastmen tips (for reference I beat the mini campaign on hard and I'm well into the grand campaign on hard now):

- Raiding is very important, especially in the grand campaign. It's an important secondary source of income and it adds to your fightiness (or whatever the beastmen bray-herd thing is called).

-Get your primary stack to 17 troops ASAP so you can summon your free army. These armies exist to be totally abused, but try not to have them initiate attacks on cities or you don't get the income / horde grown bonus. If you have one that gets too banged up just let it die or disappear so you can start the process towards getting a new one.

-You can go a long long way with a stack of mostly ungors with your starting giant/mino unit, hero, and gorebull. Don't overextend yourself financially by hiring a ton of minotaurs or whatever too early.

-I find it's almost always better to take the money than the horde population growth.

-Encampment is basically a vanish button, so feel free to move about at will in the heart of enemy territory. Raid for a while in high income territories (preferably away from any stacks that you are worried about). Sooner or later the AI will come around to defend the town, which is often a good time to disappear and raze a nearby settlement.

-The moon events are very important and should dictate your strategy. Early on I like to take the 'horde growth, no casualty replacement' option while just raiding a territory with good income for a bunch of turns. If you're about to take some tough cities take the 'lower campaign movement for attack buffs' or the 'heal 50/100% of your army every turn' one. If you have a ton of money and want to hire a lot of troops wait for the 'pay extra for +6 levels' or 'pay -90% for new troops but -25 defense' one. If your army is hurt take casualty replacement one, etc etc.

- Each moon event seems to basically have 3 tiers. For example, the casualty replacement one is 10/50/100 %. No big deal and probably not worth the horde growth penalty at 10% but outright amazing at 100%. Some are amazing at the high levels and terrible at the low levels.

-I've had more success just cruising around the map raiding and destroying settlements here and there than I had initially trying to pave the earth like I used to with Chaos. Sometimes it's better to pass up settlements that aren't built up and come back and get them later.

-Every army needs a gorebull. Not only are they amazing in a fight, their buffs are just insane. +15 armor and +20% missile resist for everything around him? +20 leadership? Umm, yes please.

- If you are being agent swarmed just encamp all your armies for a few turns and they will all wander away.

-Blue line is great for beastmen LL. The upkeep bonus, raiding bonus, horde growth, and lightning attack are all great. IMO the red line is easily ignored, but that is just my preference.

-Try to build the upkeep reducing building after you've covered your bases. I'm still experimenting but what I like so far is something like this progression to start:
base building to max ASAP, ungor/gor (you start with this), minotaur, shaman, upkeep(1), mino(2), ungor/gor(2). After that I like to get the basic buff building (+armor +attack) and fill the other ones out before getting upkeep(2). Anything after that is just gravy (I usually go giant because giants are fun).

- Have your second army build the poison hounds thing for Khazrak's quest (also he needs to recruit a shaman which is why I always build that building with him, also shaman are pretty good). Chaos spawn are ok but I think minos are pretty much better at everything. I'm also not that impressed by razorgors, and even though centigors are fun I think the other things I mentioned are better.

- Research the horde growth first. After that I go for the +raiding/razing income techs, but the +10% speed is great too (and the preceeding tech is a huge buff to mino weapon strength). Pretty sure after that I went to the + casualty replacement and -33% recruit cost techs.

- Use the forest movement thing to save time crossing rivers and mountains and such, but always be careful because it leaves you open to attack and people can intercept you just like underway travel. I prefer to move in ambush stance and encamp or raid most of the time.

Ok that's enough :spergin:

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 5, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

halberdiers get armor piercing and anti large in one weapon and their main weakness is ranged units which aren't a threat when fighting chaos so yeah

Well they love their loving marauder horsemen, so ranged isn't a major threat, at least. Just bring some handgunners/crossbowmen to gently caress up ranged cavalry.

I wish Empire got some good rear end ranged units. The outriders are arguably worse than handgunners because their unit size is smaller, but they are more mobile so really they're a sidegrade I guess. Pistolers are dogshit, and outriders (grenades) are so hard to use and get, that you rarely get to actually see them in action.

At least they have the best artillery choices, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Well they love their loving marauder horsemen, so ranged isn't a major threat, at least. Just bring some handgunners/crossbowmen to gently caress up ranged cavalry.

I wish Empire got some good rear end ranged units. The outriders are arguably worse than handgunners because their unit size is smaller, but they are more mobile so really they're a sidegrade I guess. Pistolers are dogshit, and outriders (grenades) are so hard to use and get, that you rarely get to actually see them in action.

At least they have the best artillery choices, I guess.

If Empire doesn't have good ranged; who does?

Pretty much as good as it gets in this game, at least until we get elves.

Or did you mean ranged cavalry?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Handgunners are kickin rad in SP or MP so no complaints for Empire ranged from me.

Add in the Net for true hilarity.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd say outriders are better than the goblins so they win out on ranged cav too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Handgunners also get a damage upgrade tech that puts their DPS roughly on par with Crossbowmen. Faith, steel, and gunpowder, boys!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Hey this is cool every time warhammer gets an update I have to delete a giant rear end game from my hard drive because CA installs the game twice whenever it patches for some reason. loving morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Hey this is cool every time warhammer gets an update I have to delete a giant rear end game from my hard drive because CA installs the game twice whenever it patches for some reason. loving morons

Yeah, I have had the same problem twice now. It's really dumb.

• Locked thread