Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Craigslist DT175. It was rough as hell so I asked if it even ran. He smiled, kicked it over, and wheelied it up and down the pedestrian bridge.

First Craigslist Ulysses: "Save my marriage, take this Buell, my wife hates it. Trades considered." Apparently he sold a VFR that his wife liked to ride to get the Buell. She liked my Vstar so done deal. I had to drive to Yakima in February to get it tho. Ug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've never had a vehicle that didn't come from craigslist. I've bought at least 25 titled motorcycles and a few cars/trucks and god only knows how many stupid projects.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

Apparently he sold a VFR that his wife liked to ride to get the Buell.

He's lucky to still have a wife after a stunt like that.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bought my Ninjette on Craigslist. The seller tried to tell me other people had offered more than their asking price, but the bike took a lot of coaxing to get started when I arrived so I ended up haggling a little lower than asking. Loaded it onto my little Ranger and drove two hours back home to re-learn how to ride.

At the time, it was probably against my better judgement to buy a bike that obviously needed carb work, but after a tune-up it's been great.

Selling it on CL right now. Meeting a potential buyer around 4:30EST. If you don't hear from me afterwards, I got shanked.

Edit: Buying out of state was actually more convenient, too, as we didn't have to sign the title at the same time. If I sell this bike to a PA resident we'll have to go to a title agent together. :argh:

Edit 2: No-show. Call it a draw.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 5, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

Bought my Ninjette on Craigslist. The seller tried to tell me other people had offered more than their asking price

The correct answer to that, obviously, is "okay, sell it to them. Here's what I have with me right now"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, my Ninjette was in pretty rough shape when I bought it, but it was cheap. I fixed it up, and trashed the fairings and painted it and put a big round headlight on it and it ran so well. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

Welp. That was a fun month. Bike got stolen at work. At least I have complete insurance. I guess it's true what they say about dual sports. People like stealing them.

Only in Hamilton does someone steal a bike like yours.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Yeah it's pretty lovely. I guess I could have been more proactive in securing it at work. It lived in a garage at home and I parked it the designated motorcycle area at work, there's CCTV coverage over the area and I made the police report last night - just sucks to walk out after your shift to find your ride gone at night. At least i had complete coverage for what it's worth. It's all just stuff I guess. I'm more upset that I am missing my motorcycle tuition that I had booked but can't go to now that my bike's gone missing. I guess simple bikes are easier to steal but I mean it was parked up next to a R1200GS and nobody at work that rides had ever had issues with bike security. Ah well. Insurance company's office opens on Monday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

Yeah it's pretty lovely. I guess I could have been more proactive in securing it at work. It lived in a garage at home and I parked it the designated motorcycle area at work, there's CCTV coverage over the area and I made the police report last night - just sucks to walk out after your shift to find your ride gone at night. At least i had complete coverage for what it's worth. It's all just stuff I guess. I'm more upset that I am missing my motorcycle tuition that I had booked but can't go to now that my bike's gone missing. I guess simple bikes are easier to steal but I mean it was parked up next to a R1200GS and nobody at work that rides had ever had issues with bike security. Ah well. Insurance company's office opens on Monday.

You can't sell an R1200 for methamphetamine my friend.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Yeah fair enough. I guess it just sucks only having it for a bit over a month. Serious talk though, is there a lesson I can learn from all this? Watch where I if I commute on the thing? D/S are attractive bikes for thieves and i should be more on my guard? People are kinda shitbirds and i should have comprehensive if I own a motorcycle?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You should have comp definitely.

I park in conspicuous areas under watch of camera if possible.

Also nobody wants to steal a Buell so I'm set

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Get a bike too heavy for two people to lift!
Worst I've had is a meth head having a ten minute conversation with my bike. It's like she found an old friend. She even hugged it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

Yeah fair enough. I guess it just sucks only having it for a bit over a month. Serious talk though, is there a lesson I can learn from all this? Watch where I if I commute on the thing? D/S are attractive bikes for thieves and i should be more on my guard? People are kinda shitbirds and i should have comprehensive if I own a motorcycle?

Not live in the meth capital of NZ. You're thinking of it like you're going to avoid some sort of targeted plot to steal your bike but the reality is they saw something shiny and portable that their bro steve would give them five hundy for. Insurance is the only thing you can do.

Pope Mobile posted:

Get a bike too heavy for two people to lift!
Worst I've had is a meth head having a ten minute conversation with my bike. It's like she found an old friend. She even hugged it.

This would work but he's still learning to ride.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Big rear end chain around the bike and an immovable object

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

This would work but he's still learning to ride.

Do they have blasts is nz?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Bought my Ninjette on Craigslist. The seller tried to tell me other people had offered more than their asking price, but the bike took a lot of coaxing to get started when I arrived so I ended up haggling a little lower than asking. Loaded it onto my little Ranger and drove two hours back home to re-learn how to ride.

At the time, it was probably against my better judgement to buy a bike that obviously needed carb work, but after a tune-up it's been great.

Selling it on CL right now. Meeting a potential buyer around 4:30EST. If you don't hear from me afterwards, I got shanked.

Edit: Buying out of state was actually more convenient, too, as we didn't have to sign the title at the same time. If I sell this bike to a PA resident we'll have to go to a title agent together. :argh:

Edit 2: No-show. Call it a draw.
Update on this, they just texted me- "hey I wanted to no whats the lowest you can go on your 250??"

:suicide:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I get those I reply with the asking price plus a bit. If they don't know how to haggle, I'm sure not going to do it for them

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

lol and I just missed a call from them, way to cut the legs out from your bargaining leverage by showing you're thirsty buddy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Do they have blasts is nz?

I've seen a couple for sale and the market value is more than a comparable sv650 because they're a ~rare exotic~ like every other buell, triumph and ducati.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What sv650's did you get down there that are in any way comparable to a blast?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What sv650's did you get down there that are in any way comparable to a blast?

Gen 1
300,00 miles
Blown head gasket on the rear cylinder
Shinko 700 tire set
Loose, rusted chain
Missing teeth on both sprockets, remaining teeth heavily sharked
Forks and rear shock bleeding
Front cylinder randomly stops working

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm just going to rant about the prices of motorcycles in an island nation, and being a foreigner, financing might be a hassle. Bike I want is a used 600, but apparently dealers are wary of 外國人 buying used, and want a guarantor in case I stuff it I guess. But, I can finance a new bike 100% by myself, though my budget will limit me to a 300. Not to mention the 300s I looked at are about $2,000~$3,000 US more than the 600 (which is about $7,000). Why do buying decisions need to be complicated? Just give me the bike I want!

Also, before anyone asks, old bikes above 150cc don't exist in this country, so getting a dirt cheap 20 year old Honda isn't happening. :(

edit: Riding url's pillion was more of a workout than I expected.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Know what sucks? When you're riding down the highway and the truck in front of you kicks up a pebble and it nails you in the only piece of unprotected skin on your entire body: square in the throat. That'll wake you up fast.

Know what else sucks? Literally getting hit by a bus. Not enough to crash -- I was splitting in the city, pulled up at a stoplight between a car (on my right) and the Marin Airporter shuttle bus (on the left), and for some reason as soon as the light changed the bus decided to merge over to the right. I saw the gap narrowing and heard my mirror scrape the side of the bus as I braked hard and swerved closer to the car on the right. No damage.

Partly my fault; if I'd pulled up further in front of the bus instead of stopping level with its front, the driver would have had a better chance of noticing me. But still, seriously? Making an unchecked (I was directly beside the bus's front window/door) merge in the middle of an intersection, just as the light changes? Man :psyduck:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

You know what sucks? Not having a bike during bike season because your got totaled in a flood and Maryland's inspection requirements make every bike on craigslist unpassable.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Motorcycle and 3-Wheel MPV
(form #23-21C)

• Steering system
• Frame
• Brake system
• Wheels / tires
• Fuel system
• Exhaust system
• Lights
• Electrical system
• Mirrors
• Windshield
• Passenger items (hand hold and foot rest)
• Body items (seat, engine mounts, stand, chain and guard, fenders)
• Speedometer / odometer

I assume the exhaust system is a nice point to fail on if they check for db readings/ unoriginal exhaust.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlz posted:

You know what sucks? Not having a bike during bike season because your got totaled in a flood and Maryland's inspection requirements make every bike on craigslist unpassable.

Move to the district. They just put the inspection sticker on my ninja without even turning it on or looking at it. I completely forgot to do the inspection for the 599 and they still gave me a license plate. Is it a requirement before you get a plate in MD?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

hot sauce posted:

Move to the district. They just put the inspection sticker on my ninja without even turning it on or looking at it. I completely forgot to do the inspection for the 599 and they still gave me a license plate. Is it a requirement before you get a plate in MD?

Yes they ask for your inspection certificate when you go to register your bike. The exhaust technically cannot be modified to be louder than the OEM exhaust. Most shops at least are lax on that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

With the nice weather we've been having, I've had a bevy of weird bike related conversations, people randomly pulling up to me in parking lots and telling me about the "crotch rocket" they had in the 80's and how "crotch rockets" are so dangerous and they need a cruiser for their back blah blah blah, or the dude that had to talk to me for 15 minutes about his brother's R6. Just because my FZ6 has plastic on it does not make it a sportbike, I think that CA needs to get a PSA campaign going to educate the unwashed masses in types of motorcycles, and the benefits of wearing gear while riding, like a not-stupid AMA.

Weirder, today another fully geared rider on a yellow CBR pulled a u-turn so he could ride up to me and ask me something, which I couldn't hear due to listening to music, still trying to figure that one out.

I'm another note, I recently got back from a business trip to England, and it's nice to see that our cousins across the pond are just as ignorant as is Americans, I had a guy (after figuring out that FZ needs to be pronounced eff-zed) tell me that I ride a "baby bike" and inform me that his wife has "a 1000cc machine"
as if my manhood should be crushed by the puny displacement of engine between my legs.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Elviscat posted:

I'm another note, I recently got back from a business trip to England, and it's nice to see that our cousins across the pond are just as ignorant as is Americans, I had a guy (after figuring out that FZ needs to be pronounced eff-zed) tell me that I ride a "baby bike" and inform me that his wife has "a 1000cc machine"
as if my manhood should be crushed by the puny displacement of engine between my legs.

i love how you're considered, by him, to be immasculated by his wife's leader bike when by the sounds of it, he doesn't ride. loving LOVE that poo poo, man. that's even better than the cousin with an r1 poo poo

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

It's liter bike

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Day Man posted:

It's liter bike

It's Verge.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Apparently y'all don't speak Craigslist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

It's liter bike

Well when I ride it's in the lead. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Day Man posted:

It's liter bike

*litre

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's also "emasculated," not "immasculated," but

YF19pilot posted:

It's Verge.

Still don't know if he's the most successful subtle troll of all time or the real deal.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sagebrush posted:

It's also "emasculated," not "immasculated," but

That's what I noticed. I didn't even see "leader" until Dennis Reynolds pointed it out.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Chichevache posted:

Well when I ride it's in the lead. :colbert:

this guy gets the joke. thank you, Chichevache

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hello, friends.
I think I almost died today. Some fool merged across white lines onto the on-ramp exit I was in at like 70mph while I was going 65mph. He didn't look and I had to swerve across 2 lanes on the ramp to escape him. Luckily they were empty. I will have to see if I got a good camera shot of this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

pokie posted:

Hello, friends.
I think I almost died today. Some fool merged across white lines onto the on-ramp exit I was in at like 70mph while I was going 65mph. He didn't look and I had to swerve across 2 lanes on the ramp to escape him. Luckily they were empty. I will have to see if I got a good camera shot of this.

This is why I always make sure I'm going faster than anyone even remotely close to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pokie posted:

Hello, friends.

1. Go faster
2. Treat approaching on-ramps as catapults of death and cruise in the furthest lane away that's available