Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I think I'm going to avoid this thread from now on.

Grats on making it six minutes. Sounds like you had a great time and picked up some fun new values from the phillipines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ikantski posted:

Grats on making it six minutes. Sounds like you had a great time and picked up some fun new values from the phillipines.

I was going to set up a paypal for "thank you" donations...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

I'm addicted, withdrawal from posting is hard.

Really, though, I don't know why everyone's acting like I'm anti-drug all of a sudden. I'm a big fan of the legal availability of all drugs, and I'm fond of using certain intoxicants and/or addictive substances. Drug use, even drug sales, should not be considered a criminal issue. The dumb or illegal poo poo you do while on drugs, on the other hand, shouldn't not be considered criminal or anti-social just because you were under the influence.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just scrolled through all those pitsixa posts because lol why should I read that poo poo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

I just scrolled through all those pitsixa posts because lol why should I read that poo poo

You did the right thing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namaste faggots posted:

Allow me to summarize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx5WJjXmuQI

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
PT6A where did you get the wifebeating and criminality idea from? The original post you responded to didn't mention anything of the sort and yet you suddenly jumped in and accused the thread as a whole of defending that when literally no one had said anything about it except you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

PT6A where did you get the wifebeating and criminality idea from? The original post you responded to didn't mention anything of the sort and yet you suddenly jumped in and accused the thread as a whole of defending that when literally no one had said anything about it except you.

No, the original post was relating the current fentanyl epidemic with the collapse of oil, and I'm sick of hearing the economic downturn in Alberta blamed for everyone's problems (including, from multiple sources, the reported increase in petty crime, and an increase in the incidence of spousal abuse). These things may indeed be correlated, but the assholes doing them are still responsible.

Mainly I'm just pissed off at being back in Calgary where I have to put up with this whiny nonsense all the time every goddamn day. And more drugged-out panhandlers every loving time you want to go anywhere.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I think you and the druggie deserve each other. Maybe if we're lucky you'll end up one and stop posting here!

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

PT6A posted:

These things may indeed be correlated, but the assholes doing them are still responsible.

Okay? No one here is stating the otherwise? What people are talking about are ways to fix ot prevent that from happening, and the better way of prevention isn't jerking off on being "hard on crime" and trying to deter a loving addiction somehow, but instead trying to stop it before it happens.

Literally no one here is claiming that people who do crime aren't personally responsible. You are just yelling at clouds now.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

Wynne non-committal on ending cash-for-access fundraising posted:

Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne is refusing to ban cash-for-access fundraising immediately amid mounting criticism over the controversial practice.

Responding on Thursday for the first time to a Globe and Mail investigation into cash-for-access events – in which corporate and union leaders paid up to $10,000 to spend time with Ms. Wynne and members of her cabinet – the Premier said she was “very open to having that conversation” on the future of the practice, but repeatedly would not commit to ending it.

A legislative committee is reviewing the Liberals’ campaign finance reform, Bill 201. The proposed law would end corporate and union donations, and reduce contribution limits, but would not ban paying for access.

“I look forward to what comes back from the discussion. All the parties are sitting on that committee and giving input, and people are coming from all parts of the province to make comments,” Ms. Wynne told reporters. “I look forward to the amendments.”

The Liberals hold a majority of seats on the committee, so amendments need Ms. Wynne’s approval.

Asked about the controversy’s impact on her government’s reputation, the Premier replied: “We’re changing the rules. We recognize that the rules need to be modernized. That’s why the legislation is out for consultation after first reading.”

Ms. Wynne promised on Thursday that her party would not exploit a loophole in the current campaign finance law that would allow donors to give double their regular annual contribution during an upcoming by-election campaign in the Scarborough-Rouge River riding.

“We have made the decision that our party is not going to use the rule that’s been in place for many years in terms of being able to double the donations,” Ms. Wynne said.

The Globe last month reported that in Ms. Wynne’s first three years as Premier, her party has held 223 fundraisers, of which 159 were private affairs for 50 or fewer guests. Representatives of many businesses seeking contracts or policy decisions from government attended these events, including construction firms, electricity companies, property developers and the pharmaceutical and insurance industries.

The Globe has also reported that top advisers to cabinet ministers often encourage the companies whose files they handle to pay thousands of dollars to attend events with their ministers.

The revelations have touched off a furor at Queen’s Park.

NDP finance critic Catherine Fife lodged a complaint with the province’s integrity commissioner, accusing Liberal ministers of breaching parliamentary ethics rules by having their staff members do fundraising for them. Ministers, she wrote, made companies think their party fundraisers were “connected to the business of” government and “intentionally created the impression that Stakeholder Relations were contingent on political contributions.”

The Liberals say no contracting or policy decisions made by ministers or their staff were influenced by political donations.

The Progressive Conservative members of the committee examining Bill 201 have called for the legislation to be toughened to ban cash-for-access events. The Tories favour laws modelled on the federal code of conduct for cabinet that would ban politicians from raising money from people seeking contracts or who work in industries the politicians regulate.

“This legislation is absent as compared to the federal guidelines, federal guidelines where minsters are prevented from inviting or encouraging people that they do business with, stakeholders who they have jurisdiction over, absolutely preventing them from being engaged in any sort of political fundraiser,” PC MPP Randy Hillier told a Queen’s Park press conference last month.

York University professor Robert MacDermid, a campaign finance expert, has proposed that politicians be required to disclose publicly every time they are lobbied.

Former Ontario ombudsman Andre Marin has called on the province to create an anti-corruption watchdog with the power to investigate politicians, recommend criminal charges and introduce reforms to stop unethical behaviour.

In an op-ed for the Toronto Sun, Mr. Marin said the agency could be modelled on Quebec’s Unité permanente anticorruption (UPAC), a 350-person special police squad. This spring, officers charged seven politicians in connection with a scandal over campaign donations and corruption.

“Instead of bland, self-serving statements by the Ontario government to move along, nothing to see here, whenever the ethics of government are raised, is it not time our premier puts money where her mouth is and creates our very own version of UPAC?” Mr. Marin wrote.

Amid the controversy, political fundraising continues. An invitation for the Liberals’ annual Patio Party on Wednesday at the TIFF Lightbox listed several lobbyists as members of the event’s organizing committee.

And in an e-mail to Progressive Conservative party members titled, “No cash? No access,” PC Ontario Fund chairman Tony Miele deplored the Liberals’ fundraising tactics – before asking for contributions to help fight them.

“I’m emailing you today to ask you to click here and give a small donation – help us end this abysmal practice,” Mr. Miele wrote. “We ask you to please consider a $50 donation…a donation that will help us defeat a cash-for-access Liberal government, and elect an access-for-everyone PC Government.”

Take-away points:

1. Wynne and the OLP are hopelessly corrupt
2. Ontario doesn't have a public registry of lobbyist meetings

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Guys, guys, when PT6A says he's leaving, you let him go.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

Maybe if we're lucky you'll end up one and stop posting here!

Someone could buy said fentanyl junkie an account.

He'd probably a lot more cheerful than most of these dour fucks.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

jfood posted:

Someone could buy said fentanyl junkie an account.

He'd probably a lot more cheerful than most of these dour fucks.
Only for like three hours at a time.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Take-away points:

1. Wynne and the OLP are hopelessly corrupt
2. Ontario doesn't have a public registry of lobbyist meetings

As much as I'm loathe to defend Wynne, this poo poo is as old as politics itself. Media trying to hang it all on her just sound hysterical frankly.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

quote:

Ms. Wynne promised on Thursday that her party would not exploit a loophole in the current campaign finance law that would allow donors to give double their regular annual contribution during an upcoming by-election campaign in the Scarborough-Rouge River riding.

Are they just talking about how you can donate up to the max during a writ period without it counting towards your cap for the year? Because that applies to every election, not just by-elections, and never struck me as a loophole.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Are they just talking about how you can donate up to the max during a writ period without it counting towards your cap for the year? Because that applies to every election, not just by-elections, and never struck me as a loophole.

I think the key is that it allows them to raise many times the spending limit of the by-elections. This seems A-ok to you?

quote:

The Ontario Liberal Party used a loophole in the province's campaign finance laws to amass a whopping $1.6 million during a byelection campaign in which the spending limit was $142,000, CBC News has learned.

The fundraising bonanza in Whitby-Oshawa was legal, but it illustrates how parties can use byelections to amass donations far exceeding the cost of the campaign, and how donors with deep pockets can give far more than Ontario's annual spending limits.

Data from Elections Ontario show the Liberals collected $1,632,625 during the campaign period for the byelection, which they lost to the Progressive Conservatives. In comparison, the Liberals collected $2.7 million in donations during the 2014 general election, contested in 107 ridings.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kathleen-wynne-liberals-byelection-fundraising-donations-1.3526392

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

As much as I'm loathe to defend Wynne, this poo poo is as old as politics itself. Media trying to hang it all on her just sound hysterical frankly.

I'm inclined to believe that's true but try as I might, I can't find much about Stephen Harper's gang engaging in it. As soon as the Liberals took power, they hit the ground running.

quote:

Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson is calling on Parliament to bring in tougher fundraising laws that would address cases of ministers selling access for party donations.

Pointing to four cases involving the new Liberal government, Ms. Dawson questioned their appropriateness even though they did not breach the Conflict of Interest Act.

In what may be her final annual report given that her term expires in July, Ms. Dawson also revealed that her office has resumed its investigation of the $90,000 payment Senator Mike Duffy received from Nigel Wright, the former chief of staff to then-prime minister Stephen Harper.

“Fundraising activities in which a relatively small number of attendees, in exchange for the price of admission to an event, gain the opportunity to meet a featured minister or party leader have been characterized as ‘selling access.’ This situation is not directly addressed in the act,” Ms. Dawson stated in her report.

“Clearly, if a minister or parliamentary secretary organizes a fundraiser, it would be inappropriate to use his or her government position to do so,” she said.

“It would also be inappropriate to target stakeholders who wish to find favour from the minister or parliamentary secretary. While all four instances referred to above raised questions about the appropriateness of the way the fundraisers were organized, it was never clear that there was a contravention of the act.”

Recent examples cited in the report include a December, 2015, fundraising letter from Finance Minister Bill Morneau that offered a chance to win a dinner with the minister in exchange for a donation. The offer was later cancelled. Also in December, Liberal donors were given a chance to “meet and mingle” with cabinet ministers and Liberal MPs at a holiday caucus dinner. Another case involved a fundraising e-mail that offered a chance to win a trip to Washington, D.C., to attend events during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s visit. The fourth case involved a fundraiser hosted by a Toronto law firm that featured Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tougher-laws-needed-to-prevent-selling-access-to-liberals-ethics-watchdog/article30367626/

E: Oh I forgot the glue. PM Justin Trudeau was campaigning in person at the Ontario by-election thing.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 5, 2016

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It's as old as it is despicable, which is why responsible jurisdictions have mechanisms to prevent or minimize it. Ethics commissioners with teeth, for example. At the federal level, donations are capped at a relatively low amount ($1525/yr), there is a publicly accessible list of all lobbying contacts (including meetings, correspondence, and phone calls), and there are heavy penalties for individuals who violate these restrictions.

quote:

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne should step down as Premier and call an election in the wake of new evidence of corruption at the highest levels, the Ontario Public Service Employees Union says.

"The Globe and Mail report last night showed what we have been saying all along," OPSEU President Warren (Smokey) Thomas said. "This government has received millions of dollars in donations behind closed doors from companies that have received millions, and in some cases billions, of dollars in government contracts.

"In the past I have called repeatedly for a public inquiry into the privatization industry in this province, but we are way beyond that now," he said. "Ontario needs an election."

Thomas called it "obvious" that anyone paying $5,000 or more to have dinner with the Premier would expect something in return.

"What so many corporate law firms, construction companies, banks and hedge funds have learned in the last decade is that nothing has a better return on investment than a donation to the Ontario Liberal Party," he said.

OPSEU has been drawing attention to the tight links between political fundraising and government contracts in Ontario for years. In April 2015, the union published It's in their DNA, which documents the personal and political links that connect top Liberals to corporate interests.

"For over a decade, the transfer of wealth from people and public services to corporate profits has been the main driver of government policy," Thomas said. "This is what's behind the contracting out of public services, the sale of public assets, and the use of public-private partnerships to build infrastructure. It's what's behind individualized funding of social services. It's why there is beer in grocery stores. It's why the Liberals are so interested in Social Impact Bonds for social services.

"Under these Liberals, we are losing what belongs to all of us," he said. "An election now would give Ontarians a chance to take back their province. It's ours. We own it."

OPSEU represents 130,000 working Ontarians across the province.

SOURCE Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)

https://opseu.org/sites/default/files/2015-04_its_in_our_dna_report_b.pdf

For a real laugh, do a linkedin search of Toronto executives who were once OLP staffers. There is an astronomical number of them who transitioned immediately from their staffer job to a high-paying executive gig in a direct stakeholder.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hmmmm this bad poster seems to post more when I quote and reply to them. drat I'm mad at their bad posting, better reply to everything they say!
Ignore list, or just ignore.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

On Wednesday, the OLP launched their byelection. Who made the announcement? Not the Elections Ontario, not the Lieutenant Governor, and not the Government itself. It was announced via an press-release to party supporters by the OLP campaign team in Scarborough-Rouge River.

NDP files complaint with Elections Ontario over Liberals' byelection launch posted:

The NDP have filed a complaint with Elections Ontario about the way the Liberal government launched a byelection this week in Scarborough.

NDP MPP Gilles Bisson has written to Chief Electoral Officer Greg Essensa, asking he investigate the writ announcement which came Wednesday morning. The Liberal Party campaign team in Scarborough-Rouge River announced the launch of the four-week campaign in a press release before the government and Elections Ontario could confirm the election had been called.

Bisson alleged that was a violation of Ontario’s Elections Act.

“It suggests collusion between the Premier’s Office and the Liberal Campaign,” Bisson wrote. “In addition to giving their campaign an unfair advantage, this undermines Ontarians’ faith that elections are being conducted fairly.”

NDP leader Andrea Horwath told the Toronto Sun that it’s Premier Kathleen Wynne’s responsibility to ensure her party plays by the rules. She accused the Liberals of “gaming” the system in what is expected to be a hotly contested vote.

“We’re looking for the Chief Electoral Officer to rebuke Kathleen Wynne and remind her that there needs to be proper process followed,” Horwath said Thursday. “She’s the premier of this province, it should be about running fair elections, not about gaming things for Liberal advantage.”

Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown, who campaigned in Scarborough with candidate Raymond Cho Thursday, said he wasn’t surprised by the tactic. It’s consistent with the disregard that the government has shown for voters in the past, he said.

“I think unfortunately, it’s typical of how Kathleen Wynne has run the government of Ontario,” he said. “It’s not about what’s in the best interests of the people of Ontario. It’s what’s in the best interests of the Liberal Party.”

Liberal Party spokesman Patricia Favre apologized for the error that led to the message being sent out early.

“This was the case of an eager local campaign that should have waited two minutes until the government release was posted,” she said in an email.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/04/ndp-files-complaint-with-elections-ontario-over-liberals-byelection-launch

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Pretty sure the OLP have a huge campaign warchest compared to the Conservatives and ODNP and are doing everything they can to make sure they never lose that advantage.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Friendly reminder that Doug Ford is the campaign manager for Raymond Cho.

PCs will probably win because it's a byelection, and we can expect very much crowing from Mr. Ford until 2018. :thumbsup:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What's really striking about the Ontario Liberals is how effectively they've managed to bring both the private sector and a substantial chunk of labour into the same big tent of corruption and graft. The Working Families Coalition -- a sort of union funded political action committee that routinely spends as much in any election as any of the major parties -- is effectively just another arm of the OLP. Whether this is a good deal for the unions regular members is questionable at best given the Liberal's love of austerity and privatization, but union members are scared shitless of a conservative victory and therefore look the other way while their leaders throw millions of membership fees toward repeatedly reelecting Liberals. And businesses, for their part, show no appetite for setting up a rival PAC to help the conservatives -- either out of fear of retribution, or because they're already getting everything they want, or some mixture of those two reasons, both the unions and most politically active businesses seem to have made their peace with the Liberal government. Sure they'll donate to the other parties, but you don't see the kind of urgent mobilization that happened in the early 90s when businesses were desperate to get rid of Bob Rae.

It's a bizarre situation and a testament to Canadian mediocrity that the OLP can so effectively triangulate between these vastly differently interest groups while stitching together a large enough electoral coalition to consistently win elections.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Helsing posted:

What's really striking about the Ontario Liberals is how effectively they've managed to bring both the private sector and a substantial chunk of labour into the same big tent of corruption and graft. The Working Families Coalition -- a sort of union funded political action committee that routinely spends as much in any election as any of the major parties -- is effectively just another arm of the OLP. Whether this is a good deal for the unions regular members is questionable at best given the Liberal's love of austerity and privatization, but union members are scared shitless of a conservative victory and therefore look the other way while their leaders throw millions of membership fees toward repeatedly reelecting Liberals. And businesses, for their part, show no appetite for setting up a rival PAC to help the conservatives -- either out of fear of retribution, or because they're already getting everything they want, or some mixture of those two reasons, both the unions and most politically active businesses seem to have made their peace with the Liberal government. Sure they'll donate to the other parties, but you don't see the kind of urgent mobilization that happened in the early 90s when businesses were desperate to get rid of Bob Rae.

It's a bizarre situation and a testament to Canadian mediocrity that the OLP can so effectively triangulate between these vastly differently interest groups while stitching together a large enough electoral coalition to consistently win elections.

FWIW, I don't think that Big Business (esp Bay Street) is really the traditional ally of the PCs; their historical constituency is small towns, suburbs, and small business owners. Bay street has long been an OLP ally.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

therefore look the other way while their leaders throw millions of membership fees toward repeatedly reelecting Liberals

The Liberals secretly paid teacher unions millions in negotiating expenses, something dues usually cover, membership doesn't need to be worry about that. I agree with the rest except I would have ended with a sardonic wish for the appearance of a true captain of democracy who would eliminate corporate and union donations to political parties.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Which would just end up routing donations through connected individuals and their families.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Ikantski posted:

The Liberals secretly paid teacher unions millions in negotiating expenses, something dues usually cover, membership doesn't need to be worry about that. I agree with the rest except I would have ended with a sardonic wish for the appearance of a true captain of democracy who would eliminate corporate and union donations to political parties.

The smartest thing the next party to take office can do is to adopt a political financing scheme that is equal or more restrictive than what we have at the federal level. Even if they accomplish nothing else, it would be the most noteworthy contribution to the health of Ontario's democracy in decades.

infernal machines posted:

Which would just end up routing donations through connected individuals and their families.

Not with a significantly reduced annual cap on political contributions.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Oh yeah okay nevermind, what a bad idea.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm saying it's not a panacea. It's been done before and all it does, practically speaking, is help obscure the money trail.

We've done it here in Toronto and it hasn't prevented developers and their families making maxed out contributions to councillors whose wards they have projects in. It just comes from them personally, rather than their business.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

The smartest thing the next party to take office can do is to adopt a political financing scheme that is equal or more restrictive than what we have at the federal level. Even if they accomplish nothing else, it would be the most noteworthy contribution to the health of Ontario's democracy in decades.

Not with a significantly reduced annual cap on political contributions.

Yes, I'm sure you'll find a political party willing to completely hamstring their own ability to fund raise.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 5, 2016

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm saying it's not a panacea. It's been done before and all it does, practically speaking, is help obscure the money trail.

Yes, I'm sure you'll find a political party willing to completely hamstring their own ability to fund raise.

In fact, yes.

quote:

In 2006, the new Conservative government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper passed the Federal Accountability Act, instituting a number of significant reforms regarding the operation of government and the conduct of political officials. In regard to campaign finance, the Act set out new rules for political donations, a ban on candidates accepting gifts that might be seen as influencing them, and a ban on transferring trust-fund money to candidates or political parties.

http://mapleleafweb.com/features/federal-campaign-finance-laws-canada

One of the best things that the CPC did, and a real legacy piece.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Helsing posted:

I think W.A.C. Bennett pulled off a similar thing in B.C. during his 20 year reign. He seemed to be able to get support from both labour and captial by promising to protect each side from the other, all while fighting the amorphous socialist/communist boogieman and nationalizing things like B.C. Ferries and B.C. Hydro. His cut and pave approach to development certainly kept a lot of labour happy.

Is nationalizing the right word? It's been so long I'm not sure what the opposite of privatizing is anymore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

In fact, yes.

Oh, yes, the law the CPC passed to gut funding for the opposition because they had a broad base of individual contributors at the time and the others did not. The one where they also killed funding for marginal parties by removing the per-vote subsidy, ensuring that your vote for anyone but the front-runner became literally worthless.

Definitely a legacy piece.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Oh, yes, the law the CPC passed to gut funding for the opposition because they had a broad base of individual contributors at the time and the others did not. The one where they also killed funding for marginal parties by removing the per-vote subsidy, ensuring that your vote for anyone but the front-runner became literally worthless.

Definitely a legacy piece.

You're conflating. The per-vote-subsidy was eliminated in 2011, a whole 5 years after the thing that I'm talking about. As a reminder, the lower contribution limits were brought about because Joe Volpe accepted $16,000 from literal children.

And since you brought it up, if a political party can't raise money from individual Canadians, it deserves exactly what it gets, which is zero dollars.

Fluffy Chainsaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 5, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

And since you brought it up, if a political party can't raise money from individual Canadians, it deserves exactly what it gets, which is zero dollars.

Glad to hear you openly admit that poor people don't deserve political representation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

You're conflating. The per-vote-subsidy was eliminated in 2011, a whole 5 years after the thing that I'm talking about.

I apologize, I had mixed those two.

vyelkin posted:

Glad to hear you openly admit that poor people don't deserve political representation.

And approve of political parties that openly sell themselves because they have no other way to generate the funding needed to mount a campaign.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

FWIW, I don't think that Big Business (esp Bay Street) is really the traditional ally of the PCs; their historical constituency is small towns, suburbs, and small business owners. Bay street has long been an OLP ally.

It's worth keeping in mind that prior to the 1980s the Conservatives governed Ontario continuously for forty years. When he was elected Mike Harris was an outsider who was kept out of cabinet by the more elitist Red Tory leadership. He won the leadership after the Progressive Conservatives changed to a one-member-one-vote system which allowed the more conservative base of the party to over ride the wishes of the political grandees who had, until then, controlled the party. And Harris's chances in the 1995 election looked so grim that many Conservative MPPs and senior figures left the party, giving Harris a particularly free hand to select candidates and policies. When he unexpectedly won in 1995 and then again in 1999 he dramatically reshaped the party in his own image, turning it into an American-style neoconservative entity that it had never really been before. As I've said before, traditional Canadian conservatism was markedly different from the more American-inspired variation that figures like Mike Harris and Ralph Klein popularized in the 1990s.

I recount this little canned history lesson to emphasize that once upon a time the Tory's and their "Big Blue Machine" dominated the province in a way that even the contemporary Liberals could only dream of (in fact the NDP was the official opposition for part of this period, which should emphasize just how weak the traditional OLP was). Ontario's tendency has always been to elect provincial conservatives and federal liberals, often from the same ridings. So while it's true that the federal Liberal party has always been very friendly with Bay Street, the recent success of the OLP in straddling that fuzzy, graft-ridden middle ground of provincial politics is a comparatively recent phenomenon that was only made possible after the NDP and Conservatives managed to blow themselves up in rapid succession during the 1990s (again worth emphasizing: had the 1999 provincial election happened 6 months later than it did then Harris would have been a one term premier, his administration was basically a suicide bombing against the Ontario welfare and regulatory state and by the time he was done he'd destroyed his party's future electoral prospects for a generation).

Ontario politics is weird. You can't make sense of where we are right now without accounting for all the poo poo that happened in the 1990s. Which partially explains why Mike Harris still gets brought up in every election even though he hasn't been in office since 2002.

Ikantski posted:

The teachers certainly garner benefits from their close relationship with the Liberals but it's worth emphasizing that the initiative here mostly seems to come from the union leadership rather than the rank and file, correctly or incorrectly, think they're being mistreated by the government.

Hexigrammus posted:

I think W.A.C. Bennett pulled off a similar thing in B.C. during his 20 year reign. He seemed to be able to get support from both labour and captial by promising to protect each side from the other, all while fighting the amorphous socialist/communist boogieman and nationalizing things like B.C. Ferries and B.C. Hydro. His cut and pave approach to development certainly kept a lot of labour happy.

Is nationalizing the right word? It's been so long I'm not sure what the opposite of privatizing is anymore.

It's actually a pretty typical arrangement for post-war decolonized countries where instead of having competitive elections there's a one party state, with various interest groups competing within the party for influence. Obviously I'm exaggerating but at times it almost feels as though Canada's political structures have as much in common with those third world countries and as it does with proper first world nation states. We're lucky we're located on a relative island of stability because you could imagine our political structures breaking down really fast if they were confronted with the kind of stresses that other countries routinely face.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

In fact, yes.

In his job immediately before joining the Conservative party, as leader of the National Citizens Coalition, Harper repeatedly condemned and campaigned against contribution limits on political parties. The only reason he switched courses was because it would harm the opposition. There was literally no motivation behind that move other than naked self interest on the Conservatives' part and implying that it was a noble sacrifice is either dishonest or naive.

Anyway, the idea that middle class and wealthy individuals should be all that matters in fundraising -- which is implicitly what you're advocating, however you try to spin it -- is idiotic. The people who fund parties are the people who get the most political attention from those parties, and if there's one thing this country doesn't need more of right now it's more catering to the interests of the top 10% or 15% of income earners. Any policy which expands the pool of people that the parties have to appeal to in order to win would be good and your bizarre fetish for a first-past-the-post electoral system funded exclusively by the wealthiest members of society is just a recipe for an even more dysfunctional and ineffective government.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

vyelkin posted:

Is there a Poor Party that can't get off the ground because it has to fundraise that I'm not aware of?

And approve of political parties that openly sell themselves because they have no other way to generate the funding needed to mount a campaign.

Why is it that you're upset about parties selling themselves here, but defended the OLP inaction of campaign finance reform vis-a-vis their $10,000-a-plate dinners upthread?

Helsing posted:

In his job immediately before joining the Conservative party, as leader of the National Citizens Coalition, Harper repeatedly condemned and campaigned against contribution limits on political parties. The only reason he switched courses was because it would harm the opposition. There was literally no motivation behind that move other than naked self interest on the Conservatives' part and implying that it was a noble sacrifice is either dishonest or naive.

Anyway, the idea that middle class and wealthy individuals should be all that matters in fundraising -- which is implicitly what you're advocating, however you try to spin it -- is idiotic. The people who fund parties are the people who get the most political attention from those parties, and if there's one thing this country doesn't need more of right now it's more catering to the interests of the top 10% or 15% of income earners. Any policy which expands the pool of people that the parties have to appeal to in order to win would be good and your bizarre fetish for a first-past-the-post electoral system funded exclusively by the wealthiest members of society is just a recipe for an even more dysfunctional and ineffective government.

Whether it was done for cynical reasons or not, removing big money from political fundraising was the right choice. As can be seen by recent fundraising numbers, the parties haven't been significantly impacted in the medium term, and it's prevented the outright buying of favour that plagued federal politics pre-2006 (again, see Volpe and Apotex).

Fluffy Chainsaw fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 5, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Is there a Poor Party that can't get off the ground because it has to fundraise that I'm not aware of?

If we pretend that this was a question asked in good faith then your underlying query would be something along the lines of: "Does my proposed system of party financing place large barriers in front of the participation of low-income individuals in politics?" and the answer would be a clear and resounding yes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Why is it that you're upset about parties selling themselves here, but defended the OLP inaction of campaign finance reform vis-a-vis their $10,000-a-plate dinners upthread?

Could you show me where I did that? I must have missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Helsing posted:

If we pretend that this was a question asked in good faith then your underlying query would be something along the lines of: "Does my proposed system of party financing place large barriers in front of the participation of low-income individuals in politics?" and the answer would be a clear and resounding yes.

Please elaborate on how eliminating the $1.73 a political party receives from the vote of a low-income individual prevents said low-income person from participating in politics.

What else could your "eliminating the ability of corporations and unions to donate won't make a difference because the money will flow through people instead so let's not bother to change anything" assertion be?