Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Hilarious. More conservatives need to do stand-up routines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

how do these people loving function

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
uni-sex bathrooms have existed forever but i guess don't let that get in the way of a...uh sure i'll call it a joke

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean, it is a little odd because usually the unisex bathrooms are single and not multiple stalls, but still.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If Ally McBeal taught me anything it's that uni-sex bathrooms are magical places that are a never-ending source of epiphanies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I could experience existential horror at the concept of a unisex bathroom.

I can only imagine life would be full of so many wonderful things that I wouldn't be able to stop having earth shattering emotional responses to.

It would be like living in an anime.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Last week the Tynwald the parliament Isle of Man and oldest parliament in the world legalised same sex marriage. http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/steffan-cowell-gay-isle-man/#gs.hjKuDtI
They also allowed hetero couples to get civil partnerships which is a first for the region.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

Last week the Tynwald the parliament Isle of Man and oldest parliament in the world legalised same sex marriage. http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/steffan-cowell-gay-isle-man/#gs.hjKuDtI
They also allowed hetero couples to get civil partnerships which is a first for the region.

Isle of Man now Isle of Men

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

unwantedplatypus posted:

Isle of Man now Isle of Men

Is that like whore island for women?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is that like whore island for women?

Sapphos and isle of men.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Whenever I hear of the Isle of man I think of the old fast show sketches.

I could only find this one on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0lUPsZvXA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Northern Ireland peers over the waters suspiciously. Nearby, a fleg weeps.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Baka-nin posted:

Seems legit. I mean, the Queen's title for the fiefdom of Man is Lord of Mann which seems a suspiciously progressive thing to call a Queen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

She is also the Duke, not Duchess, of Normandy.

This despite the fact that the English relinquished any claims on Normandy in 1259 and haven't actually held any of it since they occupied it on and off in the hundred years war.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

She is also the Duke, not Duchess, of Normandy.

This despite the fact that the English relinquished any claims on Normandy in 1259 and haven't actually held any of it since they occupied it on and off in the hundred years war.
Well the English still control some Channel Islands which were part of the old duchy and there is no french duke since the Revolution and England is still a monarchy, so honestly it's kinda fair and who gives a loving poo poo. :france:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isle of Man = I love Man :mason:

Gay Agenda exposed

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 31, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2016/8/01/seattle-bans-conversion-therapy-minors

:toot:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In Belize the court just struck down the law against homosexual sex, http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/belize-strikes-gay-sex-law/#gs.BRqWq34 the striking down of the law may be very important. The law in question was from the British Empire criminal codes, so all the other territories in the region that were controlled by the Crown have the same law and roughly similar constitution. So this precedent can be applied to the rest of the Caribbean.

Oh and the governments plans to outlaw rape of a male can now go ahead as the gov held off while the court worked through this case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Weren't there already earlier precedents for such from other countries deriving from English common law, such as in the UK itself, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and probably any number of places I'm forgetting? I don't think the lack of precedent is really the stumbling block for the remaining countries that have their head stuck in the sand.

Good on them though in any case, it's certainly going to be important to the queer community in Belize if nothing else, and every victory counts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The "outlaw rape of a male" thing would put them ahead of the UK, and inline with much of northern Europe and Scandinavia.

Assuming that they mean "outlaw all non-consensual sex regardless of the genders of the victim and perpetrator" and not just "outlaw male-male rape, which we didn't need to bother outlawing before because we could just prosecute the rapist for homosexuality."

I'm surprised that it took so long being as they were the last remaining non-island British territories to gain independence, well after decriminalization in the UK, and have a lot of wealthy British who immigrated there after independence, but apparently they have strong laws against immigrants involving themselves directly in politics (only indirectly :10bux:).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A fun angle on the Olympics: outing closeted athletes for clicks. Bonus clicks if they are from repressive countries!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/the_daily_beast_s_olympics_grindr_stunt_is_dangerous_and_unethical.html

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

PT6A posted:

Weren't there already earlier precedents for such from other countries deriving from English common law, such as in the UK itself, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and probably any number of places I'm forgetting? I don't think the lack of precedent is really the stumbling block for the remaining countries that have their head stuck in the sand.

No because overseas territories had there own unique criminal codes, though in some cases regions like the Caribbean had the same system. English common law only applied to the UK and the Dominions, and even in the dominions wasn't adopted uniformly, the policies towards natives quite explicitly contradict common law in the UK. Indeed in some parts of the Empire British courts only tried British people, the local population often had to make do with special courts or in some cases military courts. This is why the history of the Empire is full of colonies cracking down on a custom or practice like say slavery that is perfectly legal in another colony.

Most of the time colonial law was far more brutal then in the UK, for example physical punishments and executions were far more common in the Colonies even after the UK banned them. Though interestingly enough the law on homosexuality was much harsher in the UK, it used to be punished by death, then forced castration, but in most colonies it appears to have punished by prison terms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

Most of the time colonial law was far more brutal then in the UK, for example physical punishments and executions were far more common in the Colonies even after the UK banned them. Though interestingly enough the law on homosexuality was much harsher in the UK, it used to be punished by death, then forced castration, but in most colonies it appears to have punished by prison terms.
Interestingly one of the reasons that some of the Caribbean colonies pushed for further independence from the UK was that that the Privy Council in London had historic right to act as their final court of appeal, and after the abolition of the death penalty for murder in the UK, the convention was that the would veto any capital case that reached them, which the Caribbean colonies did not like. Their governorships and their successors were a lot more gung ho about mandatory execution for certain crimes than the UK.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

A fun angle on the Olympics: outing closeted athletes for clicks. Bonus clicks if they are from repressive countries!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/08/11/the_daily_beast_s_olympics_grindr_stunt_is_dangerous_and_unethical.html

Holy poo poo, what a vile person.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Badger of Basra posted:

And the award for subhuman shitbag of the day goes toooooo-

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Yardbomb posted:

And the award for subhuman shitbag of the day goes toooooo-

The editor who removed the offending information in the article and apologized?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The editor who removed the offending information in the article and apologized?

And how many people saw it before it was edited, how difficult will it be to just find an archive of that somewhere? He shouldn't have loving done it in the first place, at all, full stop, there's no excuse and apologizing kind of comes too late after you might have already just ruined some peoples lives.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah the proper response from the editor should have been to set the article on fire before it even got posted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Max posted:

Yeah the proper response from the editor should have been to set the article on fire before it even got posted.

And fire the person responsible.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

CommieGIR posted:

And fire the person responsible.

This fucker should not be allowed to publish anything again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

National Org of Marriage always does fundraisers to keep them running. Well about that...

First Email

quote:

NOM began our critical Summer Membership Drive on July 22nd. We’re now three weeks into our drive — the halfway point — and we have only received 256 contributions from our members. We’re only 17% toward our goal of receiving 1,500 membership contributions of at least $35. That is pathetic.

Unless this situation improves drastically right away, NOM will have little choice but to cut some of the critical programs we have underway and not pursue some of our most important work to protect you and other supporters of marriage from being targeted by LGBT extremists and their allies in government.

We can’t influence Congress to pass the First Amendment Defense Act if only 17% of our people help. We can’t persuade courts to uphold religious liberty laws and protect supporters of marriage from being sued, fined, fired or even jailed for refusing to be personally complicit in the lie of same-sex ‘marriage’ if only 17% of our people help.

We can’t fight President Obama’s dangerous gender ‘identity’ agenda with only a 17% participation rate. And we can’t effectively educate the American people about the issues, or establish a grassroots network, or work with allies in the states if only 17% of our supporters are willing to step up.

I really don’t believe — I just can’t imagine the thought — that NOM’s members have quit fighting for the institution of marriage as a union between man and woman. And yet, only 256 of you have responded with an urgently needed membership contribution during this critical period.

I’m going to be blunt: we need 1,500 people to step up with a membership contribution of at least $35 in order to raise the $52,500 we’re short so far this year. Without that type of response, we’ll have no choice but to lay people off, cut programs and stop pursuing some of our most important work.

NOM is the only organization in America that is solely dedicated to fighting for marriage and the faith communities that sustain it. That means if NOM has to scale back, the fight for marriage and religious liberty is seriously weakened.

It means that we may not be able to organize and mobilize the millions of marriage supporters in America to lobby the next President and the US Senate to only appoint and confirm Supreme Court justices who will reverse the illegitimate and anti-constitutional ruling redefining marriage.

So much is at stake, and yet only 256 of you have stepped forward thus far to help ensure we are able to continue our critical work. The fight for marriage and religious liberty sits on a knife-edge, teetering between preservation and devastating loss.

Today's Email is just poetry

quote:

I imagine that Anthony Kennedy, the Supreme Court justice who wrote the opinion a year ago redefining marriage, will be laughing out loud to himself realizing that the most passionate supporters of marriage — NOM’s members who love the Lord and who revere what He created — seem to be giving up.

Who could blame Anthony Kennedy if he thinks that God lost and he won?

I really don’t believe — I just can’t imagine the thought — that NOM’s members have quit fighting for God’s institution of marriage. And yet, only 256 of you have responded with an urgently needed membership contribution during this critical period.

NOM’s purpose for existing — the reason we created it — is to fight for God’s authorship of marriage as the union of one man and one woman. We’re going to fight as long as we are able, but that is only as long as you are willing to follow God’s Word and fight alongside us.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Weird - I thought NOM's purpose was to allow a guy who claimed to work 80 hours a week for 10 years to claim approx $500,000 per year(including benefits) in salary.

It's just so foreign to me that this man is desperately asking people for more money in such a way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Do It Once Right posted:

It's just so foreign to me that this man is desperately asking people for more money in such a way.

It shouldn't be; the end of his gravy train is in sight and he doesn't have a backup plan yet.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

It shouldn't be; the end of his gravy train is in sight and he doesn't have a backup plan yet.

No, he does have one - he's been elected president of the World Conference(Congress?) of Families. It's just that that salary is a huge paycut for him.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

National Org of Marriage always does fundraisers to keep them running. Well about that...

First Email
[/B]

Today's Email is just poetry

Yesssss :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Desperation of Right Wing groups is so sweet.

Bonus:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ng_anti_gay_law

quote:

A federal appeals court has just upheld a lower court's ruling denying Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant's request to allow him to enforce a law that makes anti-LGBT discrimination legal. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals Friday afternoon honored U.S. District Court Judge Carlton Reeves' August 1 ruling, in which he refused to stay his prior ruling that HB 1523 is unconstitutional and could not be enforced.

On Friday, the 5th Circuit stated it would maintain the status quo by not allowing the law to be enforced. Judge Reeves had ruled literally hours before the law was slated to become effective that it was unconstitutional, and thus has never been enforced.

Buzzfeed's Chris Geidner reports, "in denying the request for a stay pending appeal," the 5th Circuit "also denied the governor’s request to expedite the appeal."

In his July 1 ruling Judge Reeves stated HB 1523 is "state-sanctioned discrimination," and said its "absence does not impair the free exercise of religion."

In that ruling Reeves also slammed Gov. Bryant, stating "issuing a marriage license to a gay couple is not like being forced into armed combat or to assist with an abortion," speaking to the State's argument that irreparable harm could come without HB 1523. "Matters of life and death are sui generis. If movants truly believe that providing services to LGBT citizens forces them to ‘tinker with the machinery of death,’ their animus exceeds anything seen in Romer, Windsor, or the marriage equality cases."

Gov. Bryant will have to decide if he wants to appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court.

UPDATE:
The conservative legal organization, Alliance Defending Freedom, is providing co-counsel for the governor's appeal in the 5th Circuit. HB 1523 was based, at least in part, on language from a model policy that ADF sent to the governor's office before same-sex marriage was legalized nationally in 2015."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

I am sure he got a brilliant future lobbying against trans people rights and/or being a toilet cop. They will just go where the money is (or seen to be going).

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013
I anticipate a futuristic sci-fi themed gay nightclub called The 5th Circuit one day. It just seems right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

"Matters of life and death are sui generis. If movants truly believe that providing services to LGBT citizens forces them to ‘tinker with the machinery of death,’ their animus exceeds anything seen in Romer, Windsor, or the marriage equality cases."

:perfect:

It's great, all of it. The bigots are too stupid to keep their asscrazy hatred for gays out of their briefs, and the court just smacks it down with "welp thanks for proving you're motivated by animus, too bad it's unconstitutional to base a law on that, (see Lawrence, Scalia A dissenting)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is "animus" in this case? I'm not familiar with the term as applied to laws.

• Locked thread