Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

So the same with 2-4mm difference in size?

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

So the same with 2-4mm difference in size?

More like a 10.3mm difference...where it counted the most.

Also, in plane news, I caught sight of this thing earlier - seems it's in flight at the moment, too:

Identifier N804X, owned by Northrop-Grumman and operated out of BWI. Not my picture, obviously - I was driving and couldn't get a shot with my phone.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 5, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
JSTARS replacement testing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Yup. They've pitched it a few times and it was briefly down at Robins AFB, but so far its just private enterprise pushing it, the JSTARS is scheduled to hold out till 2025, even the fleet has been halved to support maintenance.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More like a 10.3mm difference...where it counted the most.

Also, in plane news, I caught sight of this thing earlier - seems it's in flight at the moment, too:

Identifier N804X, owned by Northrop-Grumman and operated out of BWI. Not my picture, obviously - I was driving and couldn't get a shot with my phone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

Maybe - right now it's flying a Figure Eight pattern between Washington and Baltimore that turns at Eldersburg, MD and then around Annapolis. They're testing *something*.

No, that's this one:

Tu-134 modified for Tu-160 training.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 5, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe - right now it's flying a Figure Eight pattern between Washington and Baltimore that turns at Eldersburg, MD and then around Annapolis. They're testing *something*.

Radar tests. They used to do this over i-75 with JSTARS to do training and testing.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, that's this one:

Tu-134 modified for Tu-160 training.

The Convair NC-131H total in-flight simulator.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Huh, I never knew airplanes reproduced through mitosis.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's an Xzibit meme here, I just know it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Nah just dick jokes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

C.M. Kruger posted:

How the gently caress does that work? The airplane flies for real, piloted by the crew in the cockpit, while the people in the forward bubble get to make believe they are the ones flying?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

How the gently caress does that work? The airplane flies for real, piloted by the crew in the cockpit, while the people in the forward bubble get to make believe they are the ones flying?

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vi...lator-tifs.aspx

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cat Mattress posted:

The people in the front are actually flying, but the "feel" of the control surfaces can be changed to allow the airplane to behave like another aircraft. The main cabin lacks that equipment, and can fly the aircraft as normal.

I believe that bird was designed used for flight training the shuttle crew.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

YF19pilot posted:

The people in the front are actually flying, but the "feel" of the control surfaces can be changed to allow the airplane to behave like another aircraft. The main cabin lacks that equipment, and can fly the aircraft as normal.

I believe that bird was designed used for flight training the shuttle crew.
It might have been used for development of the shuttle's aerodynamics, but the shuttle trainer aircraft was a Gulfstream. That would fly with gear down and reverse thrust to simulate the brick-like qualities of the shuttle as a glider:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_Training_Aircraft

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

C.M. Kruger posted:

As an undergrad, I had a professor who, earlier in his career at Calspan, was involved in the development of the NC-141H's spiritual successor, the NF-16D VISTA. VISTA had a set of programmable flight computers which could independently actuate the various control surfaces of the aircraft. The primary use of the aircraft was to provide handling qualities feedback early on in the development of flight control systems for then-next-generation NATO combat aircraft like the F-22, the Eurofighter Typhoon, and others. The flight control computer would simulate the dynamics of the proposed aircraft plus that aircraft's own control system. As the test pilot in the front seat provided feedback on the handling qualities of the simulated aircraft, an engineer in the rear seat could actually adjust the control constants in flight for the simulated flight control system to "tune" the performance of the aircraft until the pilot was happy with the results. VISTA was used for a number of other research purposes, testing robust control techniques to handle failures of control surfaces gracefully, adaptive "learning" control systems which would discover the flight dynamics of the plane as the pilot flew it, and eventually being adapted to study thrust vectoring. Altogether, a very neat machine.

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
I know its a bit late, but how about a yf 23/f 22?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A-12/A-12

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Let's do an interesting one.

A-10C / B-25J (The nose full of .50s one not the bombadier glass one)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

Let's do an interesting one.

A-10C / B-25J (The nose full of .50s one not the bombadier glass one)

No no no, the XB-25G/A-10C

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
OV-10A Bronco/Ford Bronco

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

A4 / F14

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A 707 and Emily Blunt because they are both gorgeous triumphs of mankind

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Antonov AN-225/Your mom's dildo

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Was biking this morning on the lakefront in Chicago and saw this vaguely insane looking heli doing some slingloading on Lakeshore Drive. Looks almost Russian or at least old to me, but I'm no expert.

Sorry for potato picture quality.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That looks like a Sikorsky H-34/S-58

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_H-34

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

I'm 99% certain I saw the same helicopter a few weeks ago, putting some kind of machinery onto a skyscraper rooftop in Chicago. Pretty confident it's this one: http://www.midwesthelicopters.com/Helicopter_Heavy_Lift.html

S-58 converted to a turbine engine.

edit: I was also biking when I saw it :tinfoil:

kathmandu fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 5, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Could be a Westland Wessex, licensed version that were turbine by default!

E: ah no it says on the page, 58T. Neat!

I used to watch the tv show "riptide" and they had a S-58 for some reason.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

priznat posted:

Could be a Westland Wessex, licensed version that were turbine by default!

E: ah no it says on the page, 58T. Neat!

I used to watch the tv show "riptide" and they had a S-58 for some reason.

It was the only vehicle cooler than Rick Simon's Power Wagon or Thomas Magnum's Ferrari.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Marathanes posted:

Was biking this morning on the lakefront in Chicago and saw this vaguely insane looking heli doing some slingloading on Lakeshore Drive. Looks almost Russian or at least old to me, but I'm no expert.

The company that owns that one operates out of a parking lot in a light industrial park in the Chicago suburb of Hinsdale. You can see them from I-55 when you are heading south. When I was flying out of Clow (1C5) they would come in some times for fuel. The pilot was a 5'0" girl who sounded about 13 on the radio and operated the biggest machine on the field.

Here they are doing a demo at an open house for the airport:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
http://i.imgur.com/ekLk8cT.mp4

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. They've pitched it a few times and it was briefly down at Robins AFB, but so far its just private enterprise pushing it, the JSTARS is scheduled to hold out till 2025, even the fleet has been halved to support maintenance.

Likely something, probably not Jstars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That one actually IS testing equipment for the replacement.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

That one actually IS testing equipment for the replacement.

Right, I'm saying I doubt there are multiple aircraft testbeds on totally different airframes for the same contract.

More likely one is some avionics testbed (probably radome nose and canoe spotted above) and one is known to be JSTARS specifically.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Captain Postal posted:

If we're talking aircraft of similar payload, range and mission, B-17G vs F-15E
Seconded.

Or, since you've already got the F-15C handy, it vs. it's WWII equivalent (P-51, as best fighter evarrr, or maybe P-47, as best fighter until P-51 and then good ground-attack after there was a better fighter).

Edit: A preview:

Obviously some perspective fuckery with the long camera lens, but if anything it makes the small ones look bigger.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 6, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Delivery McGee posted:

Seconded.

Or, since you've already got the F-15C handy, it vs. it's WWII equivalent (P-51, as best fighter evarrr, or maybe P-47, as best fighter until P-51 and then good ground-attack after there was a better fighter).

Edit: A preview:

Obviously some perspective fuckery with the long camera lens, but if anything it makes the small ones look bigger.

You misspelled F4U. Twice.
(But you got really really close)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

joat mon posted:

You misspelled F4U. Twice.
(But you got really really close)

Best land-based fighter, of course. It'd have to be the F-14 vs. Corsair. :v:

Here's the Navy version of the first pic in my previous post:

Jets are fuckin' huge.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Wright Flyer/SR-71

First and fastest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
A-9/SU-25 would be interesting, was someone at Northrop a bit careless with the blueprints?