Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

I avoided good Widowmakers all the time because they simply aren't fun to play against.

Snipers were a mistake.

You're a mistake, but you still get to post here with the rest of us. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I love how some of you went back to the knee-jerk response of "gently caress that Widowmaker player" when I deliberately mentioned how this would negatively effect the game for a lot of players.

Would you really want to be matched with someone like Seagull just because the other pros can't handle him? It would be cool at first I have to admit, but then he steamrolls and dumpsters you at the same time and you start writing a dumb post on the Blizzard forums on how the matchmaking sucks.

Also, this is one example they used. The post about it seemed to imply that it wasn't just about one player at that time that had this problem.

I just went from my own experience where good Widowmaker players were the only ones I wanted to avoid. Pre-nerf Widowmaker was awful to play against in a way that ruined the whole match. After the nerf I haven't had any desire to do that even when I'm being clowned on by an amazing tracer or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The solution to the Avoid This Player issue is to make it so that it only prevents that player from being on your own team, that way you can prevent yourself from having to play alongside shitheads and griefers but you can't keep yourself from having to play against good players that stomp you just because they're good.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Whenever i watch replays of Genjis slashing my team to death, it's kinda hard to see how long his blade is because he's flying all over the place, but this capture puts into perspective how ridiculous his blade length is during his ult:

https://gfycat.com/TediousUltimateCowbird

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The solution to the Avoid This Player issue is to make it so that it only prevents that player from being on your own team, that way you can prevent yourself from having to play alongside shitheads and griefers but you can't keep yourself from having to play against good players that stomp you just because they're good.

That's even worse. People can sort of get behind the idea of the best Widowmaker player in the world being punished. They're assholes, and wrong, but it's understandable.

What you're suggesting would mean Bacontotem would never be able to find games, and that's just unthinkable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people that play hanzo would be banned from comp forever tho, which is alright in my book

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's even worse. People can sort of get behind the idea of the best Widowmaker player in the world being punished. They're assholes, and wrong, but it's understandable.

What you're suggesting would mean Bacontotem would never be able to find games, and that's just unthinkable.

i would rather not have the dude who shouts /pol/ memes in my comp matches thank

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

people that play hanzo would be banned from comp forever tho, which is alright in my book

well i mean the solution to that is just to delete hanzo and hanamura and change genji's backstory to be a ripoff of Chipp Zanuff's

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well i mean the solution to that is just to delete hanzo and hanamura and change genji's backstory to be a ripoff of Chipp Zanuff's

Don't forget to also delete Volskaya and Anubis while you're at it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

none of these ideas are bad tbh

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
have hanzo get into a tragic accident and turn into a cyborg samurai with arrows for hands

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As amusing as the ballad of hanjo has been, I don't think it's really unfair of most people playing competitive to not want to be stuck with people deliberately attempting to throw as many of their matches as possible, not counting the ones who do so and also take the opportunity to be huge dickheads while they do it (which to be fair to Bacontotem he most certainly does not do, unless you count playing Hanzo itself as being intrinsically abusive). Sooner or later, even with 15 million players, Blizzard is going to have to take a look at that issue again because there's no game in existence people won't go to ridiculous lengths to grief people in and right now your options are to report them and hope Blizzard can differentiate between a Mei deliberately ice-walling their teammates' ults and a Mei that simply means well but is bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nah, they'll be fine. Griefing is already incredibly rare, and abusive chat is better suited for a report system.

e: also by most accounts the report system has some automatic punishments if enough unique accounts report the same person, which is probably also a bad idea but gives you an out vs. chronic griefers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KildarX posted:

Is it too much to have a "Don't play with this dude ever again button." at least in quickplay. The amount of salt in this game rivals every single MOBA I've ever played.

Just mute them.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Hanzo should be either quick play only or deleted

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Main Paineframe posted:

Just mute them.

This doesn't keep them throwing your game intentionally by sitting in spawn shooting grenades at a wall while you lose overtime.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the avoid system was removed because it would have been an exponentially growing strain on the matchmaker to the point where everyone's queues would get longer and longer, and especially for groups trying to queue. it would eventually lead to 5 minute solo queue and like 10+ minutes for groups. nobody wants that.

it's just pure math and has nothing to do with why people hit the avoid button.

hurr durr widowmaker tho :widowsnypa:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^If "Avoid Player" were shifted to be "on my team only" the people experiencing difficulty queuing would be a feature and not a bug, if you experience 10+ minute queue times as a result what it means is that nobody wants to play with you which means the system is working as intended. Or alternately that you yourself have set it to avoid so many people that you've probably been overreacting, in which case the dilemma is one of your own devising. With 15 million players I feel like there's room to be able to tell the game you don't want to be matched up with the occasional shithead and still have it function.

I feel pretty fortunate that the amount of toxic salinity I've encountered in my 90-some hours has been relatively minimal, even in comp it's mostly been low-effort and tepid "gg ez" stuff.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 5, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This doesn't keep them throwing your game intentionally by sitting in spawn shooting grenades at a wall while you lose overtime.

Just report them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

^^^If "Avoid Player" were shifted to be "on my team only" the people experiencing difficulty queuing would be a feature and not a bug, if you experience 10+ minute queue times as a result what it means is that nobody wants to play with you which means the system is working as intended. Or alternately that you yourself have set it to avoid so many people that you've probably been overreacting, in which case the dilemma is one of your own devising. With 15 million players I feel like there's room to be able to tell the game you don't want to be matched up with the occasional shithead and still have it function.

protecting people from themselves is the reason the game has 15 million players in the first place

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I feel pretty fortunate that the amount of toxic salinity I've encountered in my 90-some hours has been relatively minimal, even in comp it's mostly been low-effort and tepid "gg ez" stuff.

As Tuxedo Catfish alluded to, all that would do is shift the impossibly long queues from the game's good players to its bad players. None of us want bad teammates but it would still just lead to an unsustainably lovely match making system where low rank people would get blocked out of more and more of the playerbase's possible matches. And there would be that fun interim state where all of the bad players have avoided all of their teammates (because obviously it wasn't their own fault they lost), so those bad players would trickle up into better players' games until THOSE players also blocked them and ugh.

Unfortunately an Avoid Player feature only works if everyone is responsible enough to only use it on toxic behavior rather than for standard gameplay activity. Which people are obviously not.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

protecting people from themselves is the reason the game has 15 million players in the first place

Yeah if they brought it back the first person I'd avoid is myself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Yeah if they brought it back the first person I'd avoid is myself.

e: What was here was uncalled for, I apologize.

That said dangling a short-term, feel-good benefit in front of the player that will inevitably lead to systemic problems if overused is a terrible idea. People will always take the quick, emotional choice over the sensible one; you have to treat it like an inevitability.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 5, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: What was here was uncalled for, I apologize.

That said dangling a short-term, feel-good benefit in front of the player that will inevitably lead to systemic problems if overused is a terrible idea. People will always take the quick, emotional choice over the sensible one; you have to treat it like an inevitability.

No, now I want to know what you said. Put it back.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jastiger posted:

No, now I want to know what you said. Put it back.

I said "I don't blame you."

It kind of ties in with the explanation that follows, I couldn't resist the short-term, feel-good option that only causes problems down the road either! :haw:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I said "I don't blame you."

It kind of ties in with the explanation that follows, I couldn't resist the short-term, feel-good option that only causes problems down the road either! :haw:

:ssj: HOW DARE YOU.

I just wish I could go in, see the team levels and then quit and find another comp game without punishment. Because I'm salty.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kerrrrrrr posted:

the avoid system was removed because it would have been an exponentially growing strain on the matchmaker to the point where everyone's queues would get longer and longer, and especially for groups trying to queue. it would eventually lead to 5 minute solo queue and like 10+ minutes for groups. nobody wants that.

it's just pure math and has nothing to do with why people hit the avoid button.

hurr durr widowmaker tho :widowsnypa:

I'd honestly rather have a 5 minute queue time if it means I can get in a team with people who play the objective, aren't abusive and actually think about things like team comp etc.

The system actually worked. Prior to the removal I was very careful to curate the experience I had, preferring players who were good, who communicated well, and actually seemed to understand that Overwatch is not a Team Deathmatch game, and avoided all the people who were abusive, didn't actually play the objective (idgaf if you're new to the game, the concept of 'stand on the point and kill people' isn't a difficult one) and were just generally a bad time to play with.

My queues actually did get longer, but it was a much more enjoyable experience as I didn't have to come across people who were making a conscious effort to throw games, or would spout racist poo poo non-stop etc.

Then Blizzard took that away and offered absolutely nothing in compensation for removing one of the actual best parts of the game.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Simple fix: Avoid Player lasts for 48-hours, then resets.

After a couple of days you've probably forgotten why you hated some guy anyway, unless they were exceptionally good, then you'll probably remember their name for a while because you spend the whole game cursing at them

edit: Prefer player should just be added again as it was. I don't understand why I can't "prefer" to play with someone. It doesn't have to auto-include them in every match I play, but it'd pretty nice to know the matchmaker is looking for suitable opponents AND allies

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

Simple fix: Avoid Player lasts for 48-hours, then resets.

After a couple of days you've probably forgotten why you hated some guy anyway, unless they were exceptionally good, then you'll probably remember their name for a while because you spend the whole game cursing at them

Not a bad compromise. It stops those god drat re-queues and the same idiot is on the team again. Even if they are on the other team, you know its gonna be a bad time.

In fantasy land though I wish I could play against my losing team if I do really well myself. Lots of schadenfreude to be had of dominating a team that is all rude to you and cost you the victory last round.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Papercut posted:

Unfortunately an Avoid Player feature only works if everyone is responsible enough to only use it on toxic behavior rather than for standard gameplay activity. Which people are obviously not.

Make avoids only actually effective if multiple people do it against someone at a rate higher than average.

E: And also adjust the system so avoiding someone doesn't totally stop them from being matchmade with you, it just adds another 10 seconds to the search for someone else. If they're the only other persona at your skill level playing at 4 AM then them's the breaks.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 5, 2016

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wait did they get rid of "Prefer this player" too?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't like anyone who doesn't play the hero from my approved list should I report them? They ignore me telling them to switch that has to be report worthy right? Turned off voice chat in a competitive game! Totally going to report them for that. You can't trust players to use an avoid feature appropriately.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

No that's still there.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If the avoid a player thing was still there I'd be in the same boat as Pro Widowmaker guy judging by how many people say they're reporting/blocking me for playing all Torb all the time and never responding to their pleas/insults to switch or tell me how gay I am.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

You should switch from torb

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

pakman posted:

You should switch from torb

No

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Someone went torb on Lijang last night and my team bitched but I said 'you do you torb it ain't no thing' then we lost but I don't think it was Torb's fault because I could have played a lot better too. That's my torb story.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

blizzard finally posted what the end of season rewards for comp mode are

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748074764

quote:

2 hours ago
(Edited)

Hey, everyone.

With the first season of Competitive Play coming to an end very soon, we wanted to lay out a few key dates and important pieces of information regarding the upcoming season roll.

DATE AND TIMES

Season 1 will officially end on Wednesday, August 17 at 5:00 p.m. PT (August 18 at 12:00 a.m. UTC). For time zone assistance, and to see when Season 1 will end in your region, visit thetimezoneconverter.com.

Season 2 is currently scheduled to launch on September 6, but this could shift as we continue to work on system improvements. We will be sure to share the exact date and time as we get closer to its release.

SEASON 1 REWARDS

If you completed your placement matches during Season 1, you will eligible to receive a special spray and player icon. These will be unlocked automatically when you log into your account the first time after the season ends. If at any point during the season you managed to break into the Top 500 players on your platform (and in your region), you’ll receive an extra player icon and animated spray on top of the other seasonal rewards.

Aside from sprays and icons, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the maximum skill rating you achieved during the season.

Here’s the Skill Rating (SR) to Competitive Point (CP) breakdown for Season 1:
SR 0-39: 10 CPs
SR 40-45: 20 CPs
SR 46-49: 40 CPs
SR 50-52: 60 CPs
SR 53-55: 80 CPs
SR 56-59: 120 CPs
SR 60-64: 200 CPs
SR 65+: 300 CPs

STAY TUNED!

Throughout Season 1, we’ve been listening to the community and modifying our plans based on your feedback. We really appreciate hearing your opinions, and can’t thank you enough for taking the time to help us make Overwatch better.

We’re excited about the future of Competitive Play, and we'll be talking more about Season 2 in the coming weeks. Until then, keep your eyes on playoverwatch.com, as well as our Twitter and Facebook pages for the latest news.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

nice. that's a decent amount of points for getting in the high 50s/low 60s. enough that i feel pretty motivated to try and get there! :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Nope. It's the ultimate tool of my cruelty. Everyone who gets salty with me on hanjo, I prefer player them.