Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gort posted:

If it's a DLC complaint, keep in mind stuff like being unable to multiplayer Civ 5 if all players don't have the same DLC, while with Europa 4 everyone gets the DLCs of the player hosting. Much more generous, and makes a lot more sense since otherwise you're splitting your multiplayer playerbase.

Yeah, if anyone does DLC/updates right it's Paradox. Buy it if you want, don't and you still get a lot of the features and everyone can always play together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there a thread (or even a video tutorial) to learn Crusader Kings II? I love the idea of the game, I love Civ 5 and the Total War series, but I tried playing once and had no clue and just quit.

The thread's over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724405

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

EU4 is a little more intuitive as well

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
The Arumba guy on youtube has a good tutorial to start playing CK2. It's a little bit outdated now since it's kinda old but it's still quite good for getting into the basics of the game.

It's well worth it to get into. Very addictive game that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Everything you need to know about CK2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ZkO8CclhI

(It's a good game)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who totally ignores victory conditions and just enjoys playing and seeing what narratives form I just want the AI to behave like other countries. I wish we were much more beholden to our people or internal groups and their opinions and the direction we took out countries was much more based on that rather than some pre-planned optimal victory strategy. Like going to war with a long time ally would get your people extremely upset, betraying a country you have rich trade ties with would see your merchant/capital class potentially revolt. I guess I'd just love to see more eu4/paradox style diplomacy and internal politics where everyone is guided by their own politics and goals rather than meta-game level "victory conditions".

But the AI should absolutely realize if anyone is getting too powerful or too ahead score wise. In EU4 there's a whole aggressive expansion and coalition system where if you start to become powerful all the countries near you will make a big anti-you alliance. It's a great way of stopping snow-balling victories, and it's a great way as a player to work together with the AI to unseat another AI that's too far ahead.

I was just playing a CivV game where the dutch had some ridiculous run-away lead after conquering a neighbour early on. Me and everyone else were sitting around 500 score while they had 800. Then they went and declared war on another weaker neighbour while everyone else sat around. Then they were sitting at 1000 while everyone else was 500, yet there were lots of us bordering him. In EU4 every single player near him would have been in an anti-dutch coalition which would have been instantly triggered the moment he attacked someone, or the moment the coalition decided it was time to take him down a peg. I tried to form an alliance like this myself but none of the idiots wanted to go to war against the dutch with me.

At the same time you can be a huge powerful country and people won't hate you because of it, only if you're a threat/competition. Other great powers will be competitive/scared of you, but smaller countries often end up deciding just being friends is the best strategy, and if you have a good reputation for not eating your friends this can be quite useful, allowing you to peacefully vassalize and even annex smaller powers.

Civ is not for dumb narrative players, leave that narrative bullshit to Paradox games. Civ is a game where you Play To Win The Game.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Panzeh posted:

Civ is not for dumb narrative players, leave that narrative bullshit to Paradox games. Civ is a game where you Play To Win The Game.

As a fan of the Civilization series since Civilization 2 and a huge fan of Civilization 4 I can't tell you how wrong this is.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I always felt like Civilization accommodated both sides of the aisle pretty well.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Single player Civ is for narrative carebearing. Multiplayer Civ is for destroying your enemies and hearing the Lamentations of their women.

Also, gently caress, CK2 had like 1 DLC when I got it. Do I really need to blow another hundred bucks to have fun with it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Peas and Rice posted:

Single player Civ is for narrative carebearing. Multiplayer Civ is for destroying your enemies and hearing the Lamentations of their women.

Also, gently caress, CK2 had like 1 DLC when I got it. Do I really need to blow another hundred bucks to have fun with it?

Naw. The vanilla game is totally playable and you can buy the dlc that interests you. Most of it is portrait and music packs anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I Play to Win the Game in single player. I just jack up the difficulty as needed and have fun that way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It sounds like you're really bad at playing to win. A proper natural intelligence should recognise that the optimal strategy for winning the game is to play on Settler.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Big Ben.

The Elizabeth Tower'd been seen previously in screenshots, but hey, wonder video.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ghostlight posted:

It sounds like you're really bad at playing to win. A proper natural intelligence should recognise that the optimal strategy for winning the game is to play on Settler.

Touche.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gort posted:

If it's a DLC complaint, keep in mind stuff like being unable to multiplayer Civ 5 if all players don't have the same DLC, while with Europa 4 everyone gets the DLCs of the player hosting. Much more generous, and makes a lot more sense since otherwise you're splitting your multiplayer playerbase.

Plus "woah the host has some pretty cool poo poo, I should buy that too"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who totally ignores victory conditions and just enjoys playing and seeing what narratives form I just want the AI to behave like other countries. I wish we were much more beholden to our people or internal groups and their opinions and the direction we took out countries was much more based on that rather than some pre-planned optimal victory strategy. Like going to war with a long time ally would get your people extremely upset, betraying a country you have rich trade ties with would see your merchant/capital class potentially revolt. I guess I'd just love to see more eu4/paradox style diplomacy and internal politics where everyone is guided by their own politics and goals rather than meta-game level "victory conditions".
As someone who has played since Civ 2, I don't want any of this.

quote:

But the AI should absolutely realize if anyone is getting too powerful or too ahead score wise.
I do want this though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would really like to see AI v AI combat be less bad. Usually it ends with casualties on both sides and no real cities changing hands. Only very rarely do I see anything actually happen so it's on me to do anything to stop strong civs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hogama posted:

Big Ben.

The Elizabeth Tower'd been seen previously in screenshots, but hey, wonder video.

I really prefer the paintings/quotes/musical sting from Civ V. Seeing some legos come together is, well, eh.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really prefer the paintings/quotes/musical sting from Civ V. Seeing some legos come together is, well, eh.

You do get a quote with it in the final game.

The way they do it in 6 is really smart because the animation is also the various ways it appears on the map as you build it. So you can actually see nearly exactly who far along someone is in building a wonder just by looking at it on the map.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes I'll build the Statue of Zeus just for the quote.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
All the great persons and their unique abilities seen so far

(from well of souls)

Great Prophet

Confucius (Classical Era): Founds a Religion, and establishes this city as a Holy City.
Laozi (Classical Era): Founds a Religion, and establishes this city as a Holy City.
Irenaeus (Medieval Era): Founds a Religion, and establishes this city as a Holy City.
Adi Shankara (Medieval Era): Founds a Religion, and establishes this city as a Holy City.
Songtsen Gampo (Medieval Era)
Simon Peter
Thomas Aquinas
Francis of Assisi

Great General
Hamilcar Barca (Classical Era): Grants 1 promotion level to a military land unit.
Boudica (Classical Era): Converts adjacent Barbarians.
Sun Tzu (Classical General): The Art of War (Great Work of Writing)
Æthelflæd (Medieval Era): Instantly creates a Knight unit.
El Cid (Medieval Era): Forms a Corps out of a military land unit
Jeanne D'arc (Renaissance Era): Create a Relic.
Ana Nzinga (Renaissance Era): Gain 1 Envoy.
Simon Bolivar (Industrial Era) Gain 2 Envoys.

Great Admiral
Themistocles (Classical Era): Instantly creates a Quadrireme unit.
Gaius Dulius (Classical Era): Forms a Corps out of a military naval unit.
Artemisia (Classical Era): Grants 1 promotion level to a military naval unit.
Santa Cruz (Renaissance Era): Forms an Army out of a military naval unit.
Yi Sun-Sin (Renaissance Era): Instantly creates an Ironclad unit with 1 promotion level.
Ching Chih (Industrial Era): Gain 100 Gold. Military units get +60% rewards for plundering sea Trade Routes.

Notes: All Great Admirals have a passive ability in addition to their unique active abilities: Provides +5 Combat Strength to naval units of the appropriate 2 eras (the listed era and the one following) within 2 tiles. So after the 2 eras that an Admiral is good for, you'll probably want to spend him or her.

Great Scientist
Hypatia (Classical Era): Libraries provide +1 Science. Instantly builds a Library in this district.
Euclid (Classical Era): Provides the Eureka bonus for Mathematics along with another random Classical or Medieval tech.
Aryabhata (Classical Era): Triggers the Eureka moment for 3 random technologies from the Classical or Medieval era.
Omar Khayyam (Medieval Era): Triggers the Eureka moment for 2 random technologies and the Inspiration moment for 1 random civic from the Medieval or Renaissance era.
Galileo Galiei (Renaissance Era): Gain 250 Science for each adjacent Mountain tile.
Emile du Chatelet (Renaissance Era): Triggers the Eureka moment for 3 random technologies from the Renaissance or Industrial eras.

Great Engineer
James of St. George (Medieval Era): Instantly builds Ancient and Medieval Walls in this city, and provides enough Gold per turn to pay for their maintenace.
Isidore of Miletus (Medieval Era): Grants Wonder production.
Bi Sheng (Medieval Era): Lets this city build an additional District regardless of population, and triggers the Eureka for Printing.
Filippo Brunelleschi (Renaissance Era): Grants 211,047 Production towards wonder construction.
James Watt (Industrial Era) -Instantly builds a Factory and Workshop in this district. Factories provide +2 Production.

Great Merchant
Colaeus (Classical Era): Gain 100 Faith. Grants 1 free copy of the Luxury resource on this tile to your Capital city.
Zhang Qian (Classical Era): Gain an additional trade route, and foreign trade routes to this city provide +2 gold for both civs.
Marcus Lacinius Crassus (Classical Era): Gain 60 Gold. Your nearest city annexes this tile in the territory
Giovanni de Medici (Renaissance Era) -Instantly build a Bank and Market in this district. The Bank gets 2 Great Work slots, which can hold anything except Relics.
Jakob Fugger (Renaissance Era): Gain 350 Gold. Gain 2 Envoy.
John Jacob Astor (Industrial Era): Gain 500 Gold. Gain 2 Envoys.
Raja Todar Mal (Renaissance Era): Your Trade Routes to your own cities gain +0.5 Gold for each specialty district at the destination. Gain 1 Envoy.

Great Writer
Homer (Classical Era): Odyssey and Iliad.
Bhasa (Classical Era): The Madhyama Vyayoga (Great Work of Writing), Pratima-nataka (Great Work of Writing).
Qu Yuan (Classical Era) Chu Ci and Lament for Ying.
Ovid (Classical Era): Metamorphoses, Heroides
Li Bai (Medieval Era): Drinking Alone by Moonlight, In the Mountains on a Summer Day
Miguel de Cervantes (Renaissance Era): Don Quixote, Novelas Ejemplares (Exemplary Novels)
William Shakespeare (Renaissance Era): Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet
Jane Austen (Industrial Era): Pride and Prejudice (Great Work of Writing), Sense and Sensibility (Great Work of Writing).
Edgar Allen Poe (Industrial Era): The Tell-Tale Heart, The Raven

Great Artist
Michelangelo (Renaissance Era): Sistine Chapel Ceiling (Religious Art), Pieta (Sculpture), and David (Sculpture)
Donatello (Renaissance Era): Saint Mark (Sculpture) and Gattamelata (Sculpture) and Judith Slaying Holofernes (Sculpture)
Andrei Rublev (Renaissance Era): Annunciation (Religious), Saviour in Glory (Religious), Ascension (Religious)
Hieronymus Bosch (Renaissance Era): The Garden of Earthly Delights (Religious), The Last Judgement (Religious), The Haywain Triptych (Religious)

Great Musician
Johann Sebastian Bach (Industrial Era): "Little" Fugue in G minor and Cello Suite No. 1
Yatsuhashi Kengyo (Industrial Era): Rokudan no Shirabe and Hachidan no Shirabe.
Antonio Vivaldi (Industrial Era): Four Seasons: Winter, La Notte Concerto
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Industrial Era): Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Symphony #40 Mvt. 1
Ludwig van Beethoven (Industrial Era): Ode to Joy (Symphony #9), Symphony #3 (Eroica Symphony) Mvt. 1

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Byzantine posted:

Sometimes I'll build the Statue of Zeus just for the quote.

Some really do stick with you. For some reason, with me it's Machu Picchu and Chichen Itza.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloodly posted:

Some really do stick with you. For some reason, with me it's Machu Picchu and Chichen Itza.

Great Lighthouse and Hubble Telescope for me.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Peas and Rice posted:

I have 180 hours (3 full campaigns + extra) with vanilla CK2 and I started playing it 6 months ago. It's a great game and not nearly as difficult as people* say.

*) people who give up after an hour or two.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

As much as I love the art deco thing Civ 5's UI had going for it, I do dig the age of exploration theme Civ 6 uses.

It would be great if the UI switched from Age of Exploration to Art Deco when you hit like, the industrial age, but alas.

Art deco is objectively the WORST

And I am sad about the hex grid. Who else enjoys less options

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Art deco is objectively the WORST

And I am sad about the hex grid. Who else enjoys less options
Hexes are superior my friend. With squares you have to do some weird 1-2-1 poo poo on the diagonals because otherwise it's the superior movement option, effectively giving less choice.

Hexes are the one thing civ 5 does objectively better.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Now, now. Do not disparage the noble hexagon. A hex grid allows for easier computation of distances when traveling at an angle other than 45 or 90.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Hogama posted:

Big Ben.

Speaking of a Brit, the idea of Big Ben being a Wonder is just bizarre. Its just the clock tower (or the bell, technically), the rest of the building is our Parliament which is a tad more important. And even then the building isn't as wondrous as just-across-the-road-bigger-older-more-Wonder-worthy Westminster Abbey, and I still wouldn't consider that a wonder!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

When foreigners think of England/London, Big Ben is probably the first image that pops in their mind 95% of the time. A wonder doesn't necessarily need to be technically impressive, just iconic.

The USA has a ton of impressive pieces of architecture but the statue of liberty gets in because it's so instantly recognizable.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I dunno, tower bridge is typically the one that pops into my head when I think of London

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

As a person who has never been in London, Big Ben is the first thing that pops to mind when I think of Britain.

e: And I think that Big Ben refers to the entire clock tower, and that the tower is not attached to any other building.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 7, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The UK's world wonder should be a gigantic cup of tea. Someone needs to build it in reality so it can be in Civ7.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Rexides posted:

As a person who has never been in London, Big Ben is the first thing that pops to mind when I think of Britain.

e: And I think that Big Ben refers to the entire clock tower, and that the tower is not attached to any other building.

I thought Big Ben was the name of the bell

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ElNarez posted:

I thought Big Ben was the name of the bell

Look at this fancy wikipedia reader :smug:

Here are some other things I believe about the Big Ben:

It's that place where royal guardsmen feint all the time from standing still for so long. Maybe standing at attention is in some way a form of ritual to mimic the greatness of Big Ben???
In older times, Londoners would dance around the clocktower, like a giant May pole. The Christians banished this pagan practice.
It sets the standard time by which all other clocks in the world have to go by. It has never stopped once.
Maybe it sits in a small island in the middle of Tames? Sure, why not.
The clock's mechanism spans the entire tower. This is what makes it the Most Important Clock.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Replace Big Ben with the London Eye.

Less ironically, the London Underground would be a legit wonder

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hexes are superior my friend. With squares you have to do some weird 1-2-1 poo poo on the diagonals because otherwise it's the superior movement option, effectively giving less choice.

Hexes are the one thing civ 5 does objectively better.

Just so long as you don't go overboard with hexagons in the art. Somewhere around my 200th hour in Beyond Earth, I noticed that the game put hexagons everywhere, including the game's launch icon and most of the leaders' outfits.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's because hexes are the shape of the future.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Big ben, or its tower at least is apparently noticeably leaning over these days. By Civ X we might have the leaning tower of London.

Speaking of Wonders, I realise this is a rather spergy complaint, but it bothers me that Stonehenge has to be built next to a source of stone when one of the wondrous things about the real Stonehenge is that it is explicitly not near a source of stone and exactly how the huge stones were moved hundreds of miles to build it is still unknown.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Darkrenown posted:

Big ben, or its tower at least is apparently noticeably leaning over these days. By Civ X we might have the leaning tower of London.

Speaking of Wonders, I realise this is a rather spergy complaint, but it bothers me that Stonehenge has to be built next to a source of stone when one of the wondrous things about the real Stonehenge is that it is explicitly not near a source of stone and exactly how the huge stones were moved hundreds of miles to build it is still unknown.

yeah they should make it so it's a plains/grassland in a city that has stone but NOT next to it

also the crypt under big ben is where merlin is buried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Less ironically, the London Underground would be a legit wonder

I'd support this.

Also, I'm curious as to who the Modern Era Great Prophets are