Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

fuckin lol

this is the future its here we made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can't beleive the idiot bus got made

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

can't beleive the idiot bus got made

I doubt the engineers working on it can either

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i heard u like ground clearance dawg

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

its probably super fun to be a well connected engineer or architect in china right now. you can make all kinds of crazy poo poo and it doesn't need to be very safe, just play the game right and you can stack mad yuans too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

I doubt the engineers working on it can either

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

its probably super fun to be a well connected engineer or architect in china right now. you can make all kinds of crazy poo poo and it doesn't need to be very safe, just play the game right and you can stack mad yuans too

lol if you think there are an abundance of chinese architects practicing their art

maybe a few in taiwan or hk

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you don't have to be inside the country or an actual ethnic han to be "a <profession> in china". if you're just :spergin: about the semantics of my last post, what i meant was someone doing work there or designing stuff for there. and really, even my bit about lower design standards isn't a necessary component of the equation (though it often is :v:)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yea my joke was that nothing is planned out beyond the basic barebones of structures in mainland china

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cygni posted:

fuckin lol

get in

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
so this thing is a moving 11foot8 I guess?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cygni posted:

fuckin lol

oh my god they did it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

All aboard the dock crane

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

the scale makes it so much worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gonna take the tippytoe bus to the hyperloop that shoots me right into the s un

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm the pedestrian-level boxfan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the pedestrian-level boxfan

it gets warm in china

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ps: the "bus" visibly runs on rails

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the 8 foot clearance

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

ps: the "bus" visibly runs on rails

the rails are only to keep it from sideswiping traffic. drive and the weight of the thing is supported with those big tires

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

is it even 8' clearance? it looks like that guy would be almost brushing his head against the underside if he walked under it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also they are chinese height

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I was being generous

Feb 24, 2013

Bloody posted:

im the 8 foot clearance

6.88976 ft of sweet sweet clearance

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

1488 posted:

6.88976 ft of sweet sweet clearance

im dying

Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8XU7hRqnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66HgmZYHTs

1488 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 5, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

should be interesting the first time it meets one of these

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I was wondering that but they can simply put in a bridge before each entrance that will ensure a crash occurs before meeting the frog bus.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

toronto_transit.txt

first term fuckwad somehow lands on the TTC board, in the face of further budget cuts from the city suggests that maybe the problem with the transit agency with the highest farebox recovery ratio in north america is that the monthly passes are losing money

http://torontoist.com/2016/08/councillor-john-campbell-thinks-the-city-should-get-rid-of-metropass-discounts/

hilarity ensues

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/761645299467100162

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/761646493354778624

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how do loving morons lacking even basic familiarity with the operations of the TTC end up on the board? as a sop to the suburban shitlords that basically run the city, because they're a slightly larger voting block than the councillors in the city core

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im glad that i only have to deal with the oblivious nimbyism* of the bay area, rather than the apparent active hostility you have there

* disregarding marin county's obvious problems w/ race

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fun urban infrastructure fact, the former boroughs of etobicoke, north york, and scarborough consistently suffer the highest rates of underground infrastructure failure (e.g. water mains).

why? could it be something to do with the fact that they deferred necessary maintenance constantly in order to keep costs, and property taxes low for the decades they were their own municipalities?

no, of course not, it's the fault of tax and spend downtown elitists, retroactively hogging all the infrastructure development for themselves.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe your property taxes should be at the province level and then the province distributes the money (to its favorites)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the whole reason we were forced to amalgamate into the "mega city" in the first place was because the province wanted to download funding for a large number of services to the municipalities. guess who couldn't afford to pay their own way with the tax base they had.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

recently the province has given the city of toronto the ability to levy their own fees and certain types of taxes, but guess what block of councillors keeps voting them down

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

maybe your property taxes should be at the province level and then the province distributes the money (to its favorites)

this is actually how it was done in minnesota for 30 years and it worked pretty well. from like 1971 to 2002, local government revenue came mostly from the state, instead of like, a town having to jack property taxes way up because of a sudden shortfall. it was the biggest help to rural areas and urban core areas (white flight era), and was prob the reason my high school in a town of 1000 people had a full complement of enrichment courses (art, home ec, agriculture, it/programming, building/machine trades, foreign languages, AP psych and biology, college English classes). then we elected a wannabe-reagan to governor for 8 years and he said :regd08:. so now we're back to local governments shuttering basic services and property tax rates that yo-yo up and down just to keep the lights on at the elementary school

e: also we have a faction of state republicans who just HATE the idea of building passenger trains of any sort, and my guess to why is that they know white people will ride a train, and they can't stand the idea of losing a key dog-whistle talking point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the latest in a long tradition of pocketbook populists with a history of running their ridings into the ground have formed a voltron of idiocy to do the same to the city at large

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

infernal machines posted:

voltron of idiocy

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

turdbus no :(

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/08/chinas-straddling-bus-derails-into-controversy/495188/

• Locked thread