Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Nice, if I don't drop below 57 I'll have enough for my meaningless golden gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Verranicus posted:

Nice, if I don't drop below 57 I'll have enough for my meaningless golden gun.

> you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the maximum skill rating you achieved during the season.

If you hit it once you're fine.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pakman posted:

You should switch from torb

Sure thing. Symmetra it is!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've been queuing up with a guy called Sprizon for the past few days, he is a top 500 Reinhardt main with a golden hammer. The gold hammer has an actual psychological impact where people (even at rank 70+) will scatter and run instead of fighting him when he charges in. I've been playing a lot of Winston and I would just jump with him whenever he charged to bubble him and the rest of the team would follow to just crush pushes/defenses.

Being against him had the same effect on my team where people against the gold hammer/top 500 icon would have huge behavioral changes when fighting against him from how they normally do.

Golden weapons are not entirely useless when combined with good play!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Probably still not bothering to get a competitive rank

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

NmareBfly posted:

> you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the maximum skill rating you achieved during the season.

If you hit it once you're fine.

Ah, cool. I just got to 59 so maybe the next tier isn't a dream!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care if someone plays a not-normal hero or whatever. Its when it clearly isn't working thats the problem. So often someone will be Reaper or Torb or whatever and will be completely shut down and the team will go "Hey we need a tank, can you go tank" and then you see "Reaper has left the Voice channel" like they intentionally are shutting out any possible feed back so they can just try to get their kills. Hate that poo poo.
They are the first to bitch when the team loses too.

Edit: I also want to report people who are like "Hey shucks guys leave him alone". Nah screw you too, he needs to change and we need to work together, not pat each other on the back for our 99 to 0 loss 2 times in a row :mad:

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

As someone sitting at rank 67 that means there is no reason for me to keep playing (nowhere near top 500), so good season boys. Now it's just two weeks of deciding which golden gun to get.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jastiger posted:

I don't care if someone plays a not-normal hero or whatever. Its when it clearly isn't working thats the problem. So often someone will be Reaper or Torb or whatever and will be completely shut down and the team will go "Hey we need a tank, can you go tank" and then you see "Reaper has left the Voice channel" like they intentionally are shutting out any possible feed back so they can just try to get their kills. Hate that poo poo.

Edit: I also want to report people who are like "Hey shucks guys leave him alone". Nah screw you too, he needs to change and we need to work together, not pat each other on the back for our 99 to 0 loss 2 times in a row :mad:

Nope. I never switch off Torb. I started comp playing Junkrat and Lucio, placed at 48 or something. Dropped down to 44 before I decided I would just play to have a good time rather than tryhard and went all Torb all the time and have since risen to 59. Why change what's clearly working and is great fun?

EDIT: Also I only solo queue, I don't want to subject goons to this.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 5, 2016

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Worry about your own performance and you'll probably win more games. Oh and sometimes the opponents are just better.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

Nope. I never switch off Torb. I started comp playing Junkrat and Lucio, placed at 48 or something. Dropped down to 44 before I decided I would just play to have a good time rather than tryhard and went all Torb all the time and have since risen to 59. Why change what's clearly working and is great fun?

If you're effective as torb then more power to ya. If you're torb and you can't get a gun up and immediately die...well then face the Wrath of the North.

Duck and Cover posted:

Worry about your own performance and you'll probably win more games. Oh and sometimes the opponents are just better.

Have you not been paying attention? I'm literally the best at this game. Its never my fault. *clutches gold medals close to chest*

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zikan posted:

blizzard finally posted what the end of season rewards for comp mode are

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748074764
Wow, okay, guess a low tier player like me has no reason to even loving bother with placement matches next season. :toot:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Asimo posted:

Wow, okay, guess a low tier player like me has no reason to even loving bother with placement matches next season. :toot:

Improve your play, climb through the ranks, and bash people to death with a golden hammer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Asimo posted:

Did you think there was going to be a large reward for being a low-tier player?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I would party in the street for a week if Anubis was deleted from the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

sleppy posted:

As someone sitting at rank 67 that means there is no reason for me to keep playing (nowhere near top 500), so good season boys. Now it's just two weeks of deciding which golden gun to get.

Points are banked between seasons so there's no particular reason for you to stop playing unless you're just sick of the game

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so glad they are getting rid of sudden death though. Its so so dumb and I think if they want this to ever be a serious competative game, it completely under mines that. I mean hanamura Mei can single handedly stall the entire enemy team for a good 5 seconds which is forever when you only have 90 seconds to cap the point.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Commoners posted:

Improve your play, climb through the ranks, and bash people to death with a golden hammer.
I'm 40 and handicapped, this is as good as I'm going to get.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Did you think there was going to be a large reward for being a low-tier player?
Not really, but if it's going to be that loving trivial there's basically no reason for a poorer player to even bother.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Papercut posted:

Points are banked between seasons so there's no particular reason for you to stop playing unless you're just sick of the game

I personally prefer quickplay for this season at least. The hero limit is cool but as a high skill overwatch player, it looks like each competitive season is going to be used for placing into my free golden gun which will be used to stomp quickplay noobs.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Asimo posted:

Not really, but if it's going to be that loving trivial there's basically no reason for a poorer player to even bother.

At the risk of sounding insensitive I'm not sure why you'd pick a fast paced FPS to get involved in the competitive scene with if you're old/handicapped to the point where you feel it bears mentioning.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ran into a 4 in competitive

four

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Efexeye posted:

ran into a 4 in competitive

four

Was it bacontotem?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Asimo posted:

If you're a poor player there's no reason to bother with competitive...

yes, I believe this is correct.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Papercut posted:

Was it bacontotem?

not sure...they played a widow and camped in our spawn

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Verranicus posted:

At the risk of sounding insensitive I'm not sure why you'd pick a fast paced FPS to get involved in the competitive scene with if you're old/handicapped to the point where you feel it bears mentioning.
Eh, quick play's usually fine since there's a lot of trash playing and knowing the maps, making good picks for team composition, and using characters less focused on precise aiming (Winston, etc) is usually plenty. I don't really have a problem with being a high 30's competitive rank (even if it's hilarious how many people on teams I've been on seem to refuse to admit they suck), but when the only real reward from the mode is 300 points per character, a whopping bonus 10 is more condescending than an actual reward for playing along. :shrug:

Chewbot posted:

If you're a poor player there's no reason to bother with competitive...

yes, I believe this is correct.
I wonder how many ranks people will drop next season without a sea of trash to farm and prop them up. :ssh:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Asimo posted:

Eh, quick play's usually fine since there's a lot of trash playing and knowing the maps, making good picks for team composition, and using characters less focused on precise aiming (Winston, etc) is usually plenty. I don't really have a problem with being a high 30's competitive rank (even if it's hilarious how many people on teams I've been on seem to refuse to admit they suck), but when the only real reward from the mode is 300 points per character, a whopping bonus 10 is more condescending than an actual reward for playing along. :shrug:

I wonder how many ranks people will drop next season without a sea of trash to farm and prop them up. :ssh:

I only played my placement matches, and I'm pretty average topping out at 50, so I haven't played any more competitive.

I don't have a dedicated team of 6 ready to go... there's no reason for me to play competitive.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Efexeye posted:

not sure...they played a widow and camped in our spawn

Nah, it wasn't me. It probably is someone on my bnet though. I've been collecting sub 10 players bnets like trading cards.

Edit: Not Zero or Haven, they're an unknown one to me.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 5, 2016

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
here is my contribution to hopefully raise this thread up from the depths of nerds QQing about skins and back on track to what really matters

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Chewbot posted:

I only played my placement matches, and I'm pretty average topping out at 50, so I haven't played any more competitive.

I don't have a dedicated team of 6 ready to go... there's no reason for me to play competitive.

6 man groups are objectively worse at gaining ranks in competitive, 2-3 man queues are where it's at.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Bolow posted:

6 man groups are objectively worse at gaining ranks in competitive, 2-3 man queues are where it's at.

If you're a poo poo house group of 5-6 people who always play together it can be great because you can eat pick up groups alive, but if you're just a pick up group of 5-6 then you will run into those groups of people who always run together.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Re: the avoid players tool, I just play quick play with the chat off and everybody muted, I'm edgy like that. :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zikan posted:

blizzard finally posted what the end of season rewards for comp mode are

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748074764

Sweet! I just broke SR 60 the other day. Gonna get muh 200 points, wooooo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Which skins end up changing voice lines? Hanjo's wolf skins, obviously, and I think Mercy's Devil/Imp stuff does, are there any others? I got my first 1k Blizzbucks to spend so I'm trying to figure out who to drop it on. My top 3 played characters are Zarya, Pharah, and Roadhog, with Zenyatta coming up quickly. Zarya's suck, Pharah I unboxed a Jackal skin, and everyone else is on re-colors. I love the look of Ana and her Wasteland skin, but I'm not great with her and every time I play her I think how I should probably just be Zen instead.

e: And I'll probably do my 10 placement matches and see where I come out if those rewards are accurate.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 5, 2016

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Due to Blizzard bugged programming I've been listed as top 500 about 15 times. I doubt I'm getting my special snowflake spray though.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Commoners posted:

If you're a poo poo house group of 5-6 people who always play together it can be great because you can eat pick up groups alive, but if you're just a pick up group of 5-6 then you will run into those groups of people who always run together.

it's not even about winning the points you get for 6 manning is loving woeful, you can get anywhere from 1/2 a level to a full level consistently duo/trio queuing. you'd need to play like 10x the amount of games to hit an equivalent rank

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Unironically buff Hanzo

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

neonbregna posted:

Unironically buff Hanzo

Well yeah, if he was a good defensive hero then I wouldn't mind people picking him. If they changed his kit up then maybe people would even figure out what he is good for (whatever they end up making that be...) and not pick him all the time!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a new challenger approaches

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a new challenger approaches

Well obviously you went back in time to be present twice for some of those kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Just make his scatter the default shot.