Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

theCops posted:

got DSD selected for instructor at goodfellow. I have 4 yrs left and I'm not first term, so I don't have the freebie denial or retainability concerns. Am I just screwed, or do I have outs in this situation? Anything would be on the table short of going to Leavenworth.

Try to find an AETC rule that you can violate hard enough to be dq'd. My old NCOIC was vectored to be a TI at Lackland, so he got himself a bunch of tatoos that aren't AETC kosher. They cancelled his assignment, he won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCops
Aug 13, 2004

Arc Light posted:

Try to find an AETC rule that you can violate hard enough to be dq'd. My old NCOIC was vectored to be a TI at Lackland, so he got himself a bunch of tatoos that aren't AETC kosher. They cancelled his assignment, he won the game.

when was this? what did he get?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

Won't work for long anymore, Air Force is discussing changing tattoo rules.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Won't work for long anymore, Air Force is discussing changing tattoo rules.

the air force is renowned for expedient and efficient regulation changes.

it should only take ~7 years.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

theCops posted:

when was this? what did he get?

This was maybe two years ago. I'll hit him up on Facebook and find out what he got. It can't have been too bad, since he's still in the AF.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

theCops posted:

It's not so much the base as it is going non-operational in intel and losing proficiency by just being out of the game for 3-4 years. By the time I'm ready to go back, everything would be different and it would be like starting over again. But it's definitely partly the base too.

AFI 36-2110 says that airmen, FTA or otherwise, who have the required retainability can no longer turn down PCS orders, period. The only option that I can see at this point is applying for early separation, which it looks like I can do under the Miscellaneous provision. Anyone try that before? how did it go?

Getting an instructor qual isn't exactly a bad thing for a resume. What are you planning to do if you succeed in getting kicked out of the military to avoid a functional promotion?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah don't go full retard man. This is career broadening at worst.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Being an instructor is probably cake af

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Being an instructor is p good if it's work you enjoy, sure it's not operational but there's something to be said for leaving your mark on almost everyone passing through the pipeline for 2-3 years

just make sure that's all you leave on them, aetc isn't bad if you're an instructor but they go nuts about the unprofessional relationships thing

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Being an instructor is probably cake af

It was by far the easiest and most stable 4 years of my career. Now if it would help my board scores I would be happier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Question I should probably know the answer to: do enlisted pipeline instructors (like in this issue) get an extra letter on their AFSC?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah my AFSC is T2AXXX now.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004

Godholio posted:

Getting an instructor qual isn't exactly a bad thing for a resume. What are you planning to do if you succeed in getting kicked out of the military to avoid a functional promotion?

It wouldn't be difficult at all to get a contractor job where I'm currently stationed. 1N4A's at fort meade are pretty sought after and recruited. The main issue would be the condensed timeframe (2 to 12 months from date of application to v. sep, if accepted). It's not a lot of time to interview or look for openings, but it's doable.

The problem being an instructor in this career field would introduce is, I would come back to the operational intelligence community not having been involved with it for 4 years, and I'd have to start over, because this career field moves so fast, doubly so for cyber as opposed to traditional 1N4B stuff. Goodfellow really doesn't show you what your first duty station has in store for you, its simply foundational intelligence principles, like "here's how to mark poo poo classified", as well as the tried and true nose on firehose approach to seeing who can process lots of information efficiently and with minimum error. Applying for voluntary separation is worst case, and likely to not even be accepted, but if my career gets hosed, it's at least on my terms and I have a chance to get a job and further the career i've spent 7 years building. This is career broadening for career airmen, and I am not a career airman. I'd work for uncle sam for a good long time doing what I do now because I'm challenged, i'm not bad at it, I like it, the money's good, the tempo's good, but getting a pension for it is not something I'm that interested in pursuing. Never have been.

That being said, I have an assignment rip, not official orders, with a package that needs to be approved by HQ AETC within 45 days, which includes a draft MFR with recommend/nonrecommend by local leadership up to Sq CC. I have my branch leadership in my duty section making letters of recommendation to my sq leadership, right now for me to stay assigned where I am, in the role I am in. So I have a chance to influence my leadership to take up for me, and the ones who see me do my job all day every day already have, and it probably doesn't hurt that they are GS-12 to 14. Another part of the package is a CCAF completion status memo, which is crafted to precisely state how far away I am from a CCAF or if the mbr has a CCAF, it just states that instead. I'm not totally sure how this works yet; I've heard you must be within 9 credit hrs to be eligible for DSD. I don't think I am within 9 cr, even though I've taken a bunch of CLEPs. One of the reasons I didn't pursue it for so long or even know wtf the status of it is, was because I didn't want to be selected for DSD, and I knew AFPC calculated CCAF completion into DSD determinations. Tried to view it in AFVEC about 2 months ago and my profile's been locked for a while now. Anyway, how likely is it that they still send me off to Goodfellow and just expect me to complete the CCAF, and if not, do I get put on some permanent, non-instructor additional duty like facility manager or something until I do, if I do? I mean, I can't be ordered to take CLEPS or get a CCAF, however, they can totally lawfully order me to go augment some position elsewhere on base that has nothing to do with my job or being an instructor, just because I''m assigned there until I separate and I don't meet the reqs for the position i was slated to fill to begin with. Alternatively, if its a dealbreaker that I decline to complete the CCAF, and I'm not within the range of completion prescribed by wherever the DSD eligibility criteria is sitting (still haven't found it, I just have hearsay/9 cr), what happens then?

Also, there's the PT standard. That also needs to go up to HQ aetc in the package, within 45 days. It needs to not have a fail on it, because that weakens the package. I don't think it would stop me from PCSing, I'd assume I just have to test there, or have a passing score by March 2017 which is my RNLTD. I have 4 94.8s in a row, and I'm due to test again in october, so I pass this by flying colors.

Point of all this is, I have some agency here and it's not exactly a done deal yet.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
don't know if this solely applies to MTI's which is where I found this, but I found this on myPers:

Air Education and Training Command (AETC) will process all applications and place Airmen into the first available training class. Airmen who fail to complete and submit the application within 45 days or fail to communicate delays outside of their control with HQ AETC/A1K will require completion of AF Form 964, PCS, TDY, Deployments, or Training Declination Statement. This renders the Airman ineligible for promotion, assignment, reenlistment/extension(s) and subject to forced separation upon his or her date of separation or sooner under Force Management Programs. The Military Personnel Section (MPS) Career Development office will complete and forward the AF Form 964 to AFPC for processing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

So like 50 bucks worth of damage and a new lawn mower engine then got it

lol

well it was like $3M+ altogether, I mean it torched the MTS pretty good too and a MTS-A is $1M+ on its own

on the one hand, lol drones, but on the other hand, a contractor destroyed $3M worth of govt property because he thought "use a lighter to 'clean up' pool of avgas underneath airplane" was a good life decision, which is pretty lol in and of itself

go3 posted:

So what happened to the cats

I don't remember for sure, I think someone took them home

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We had a 1-eyed cat under our ops bldg at Dhafra. Goddamn emirates put out poison all over ops town as we started convincing him to be friendly.

RIP Juan-Eyed Willy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

We had a 1-eyed cat under our ops bldg at Dhafra. Goddamn emirates put out poison all over ops town as we started convincing him to be friendly.

RIP Juan-Eyed Willy

What the gently caress.

There was an orange tabby at Al Udeid, I used to grab a thing of milk and some chicken from the DFAC and go find him, he'd eat happily and then just sit in my lap for hours.

Really great for when I felt home sick.

Oh, and we had a wild fox at the MXS unit that our Chief would throw lunch meat to.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 6, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Supposedly there were a bunch of feral cats, I dunno. But somebody found ours dead. :(

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

There was a family of cats that lived under the DFAC on the FOB I was assigned to in Afghanistan. They were some of the friendliest cats I've ever met, so I used to toss sausages to 'em after every breakfast :3:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
We had a black kitten on camp vose under the oda buildings. The snake eaters and I would bring tubs of tuna for him. Best feed cat in the 'gan

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
After living several years getting bitched at in the CSS as a young Amn I'm laughing at multi page bitching about 720 because I knew that poo poo would fail day one. First non-3S CSS I saw (a fuckup maintainer MSgt who got dumped into an MXG/CSS slot that I'm sure iyaayas had to deal with unfortunately) somehow got MilPDS access against all regs and deleted a guy's entire duty history. Since BMT. Wee, we all get hosed because now my guys get to fix shitbrain's mistake.

The worst part about additional duty CSS/ADC cell fuckups is there is at least as sense of comraderie and mutual humor when you're working til 10 PM fixing 3S Snuffy's fuckups. Three able bodied airmen got called away from their duty for several days to fix this mistake, which pulled them away from both their primary job and their four to five additional duties. My folks got long weekends; by extension the folks they're taking care of had weeks of back logged poo poo effecting their career all because of one bad body where he didn't need to be because someone thought they were (probably likely) better off dumped off. When the culprit is someone who shouldn't have had the job, shouldn't have had the access and should have known better to ask for help but didn't but did anyway that poo poo gets grating.

Now take this parable and apply it to every addictional duty bitchwork job in every squadron and I'm sure it will fit just as well as my penis into a 23 year old Inuit girl I just met on Tinder. Now I don't know, but I'm in the loop, Wild T's penis needs big igloo(p)s.

Edit: I adopted a stray cat in Manas for about 8 hours. She was a strange Siamese-looking blend hanging out near the conexes behind Pete's. Me being a cat guy, I crouch and do that "pss-pss-pss" sound that does nothing but get their attention. She backs down behind a conex and I figure it's a stray and get to going. Out of nowhere this cat walks up, rubs on my ankle and goes full roll over for belly scratches. Poor girl was skin and bones but purring and rolling around like the most spoiled housecat at the attention. I tell you, after nine months in Afghanistan I'd never dealt with such unconditional love (minus our adopted Afghan kitten which is another tale). I gave a few hearty belly scratches and passed her into the care of my buddy while I got A big tray of late-night omelette with ham, cheese and the works, if they'd had tuna I'd have thrown it in. This was a kitty menu.

I get back and there was a cute Romanian officer chick fawning over my new Kyrgyz friend. I'm feeding this starving kitty a giant omelette while it's trying to eat and purr at the same time. Eventually my roll time is getting near so I hand this Romie my to go box so she can keep it going after I leave because this cat is cool as poo poo,. Next time I went to Manas I was permanent party and there were no cute cats to feed and no hot Romanian chicks to mack on via cat. I was severely disappointed, though I did adopt a hedgehog who would eat scrambled eggs out of my hand so that's okay I guess,

Wild T fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 10, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You're not supposed to feed the wildlife or adopt mascots! You could have spread rabies throughout all of Manas!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

You're not supposed to feed the wildlife or adopt mascots! You could have spread rabies throughout all of Manas!

I love the rabies paranoia, considering rabies outbreaks are still increasingly rare, and rabies paranoia has actually caused severe species wipe-outs.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
My CBTs don't lie :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We've brought home more cases of HIV than rabies from any given country.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

We've brought home more cases of HIV than rabies from any given country.

Talked with a friend who works in the CDC department that advises the DOD for deployment medicine, and the rabies stuff is more about they don't want to stock rabies treatments in deployed areas.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 10, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Are they still exceedingly painful series of shots in the stomach?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

Are they still exceedingly painful series of shots in the stomach?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_protocol

Or

quote:

In the US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends people receive one dose of human rabies immunoglobulin (HRIG) and four doses of rabies vaccine over a 14-day period.[64] The immunoglobulin dose should not exceed 20 units per kilogram body weight. HRIG is expensive and constitutes most of the cost of postexposure treatment, ranging as high as several thousand dollars.[65] As much as possible of this dose should be injected around the bites, with the remainder being given by deep intramuscular injection at a site distant from the vaccination site.

But really, rabies occurrence is pretty rare.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 10, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wild T posted:

First non-3S CSS I saw (a fuckup maintainer MSgt who got dumped into an MXG/CSS slot that I'm sure iyaayas had to deal with unfortunately)

lol I can't remember the name but I'm seeing a face

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anybody at Nellis these days?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Anybody at Nellis these days?

I think we have a plane down there for Red Flag.

See All Evil, Hear All Evil, Do All Evil :getin:
...and break everything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll probably be TDY in a few weeks, just curious if anybody's still stationed there.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
42.25% staff selection rate reported by AFPC :shepface:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

Well, they have to have someone new to fire.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lite_sleepr posted:

they're (apparently) moving up my year group's major's board by a year so instead of it being in '18 it'll be an additional additive board next year, because they're so short on O-4's in quite a few career fields we're just going to promote our way out of the problem

man if only someone could've predicted a couple years back they were going to have a massive bathtub in the '04-'08 year groups

(haven't heard anything official but heard the same scuttlebutt from 4 or 5 different people now....I'm sure the official PSDM will come out like 3 days before the board)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
LIGHTNING WITHIN FIVE!

Linedance posted:

So anyone still wondering why you're supposed to quit what you're doing and shelter when there's a red alert / lightning strike warning on the ramp:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

iyaayas01 posted:

they're (apparently) moving up my year group's major's board by a year so instead of it being in '18 it'll be an additional additive board next year, because they're so short on O-4's in quite a few career fields we're just going to promote our way out of the problem

man if only someone could've predicted a couple years back they were going to have a massive bathtub in the '04-'08 year groups

(haven't heard anything official but heard the same scuttlebutt from 4 or 5 different people now....I'm sure the official PSDM will come out like 3 days before the board)

The dates for the boards are in MyPers. 2 Majors boards in 2017.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

xaarman posted:

The dates for the boards are in MyPers. 2 Majors boards in 2017.

thanks...out of curiosity how long have the dates been posted?

also lol that they just posted it on MyPers and didn't bother to reach out and notify anyone they were doing something non-standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
It's been up there a while.

Go to Active Duty: Officer Promotions Home Page -> CY17 Selection Board Schedule

You'll see 27 Mar - 7 Apr Maj LAF (P0417B) and 4 Dec - 15 Dec 17 Maj LAF (P0417D)

Right below it you'll see Milestones, select CY17 Officer Promotion Board Schedule/Milestones for full dates used.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread