Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Page 5

They're talking about Ynnead!?!

And the facebook says that "all will be revealed tomorrow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
More Deathwatch images leaked, though it's just photos from the codex (no rules):
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/992
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/993

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

TheChirurgeon posted:

More Deathwatch images leaked, though it's just photos from the codex (no rules):
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/992
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/993

All assault cannons on that Termi squad. Interesting.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, the prior rumors basically make DW out to be a Space Marine army that can be kitted out in extreme ways.

On a related note, I painted another mans. I am disappointed that the DW from Overkill do not seem to be in the Codex, given the leaked TOC, but they seem easy to replicate:

This is Jetek Suberei, from the Deathwatch Overkill box set. He's a bike sergeant of the White Scars Chapter of Space Marines. He has a cyber eagle that he chills with, and he rolls on a bike that he brought from home. In my DW company, he's in friendly competition with Rashiel, a Ravenwing biker serving in the Deathwatch. The two frequently compete to see who is the best bike marine.

Also, gently caress that tassel on the back of his bike. That thing has been trying to break off since the moment I clipped him off the sprue. poo poo design.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Hahaha

"What follows is the shortest round of shooting in tabletop history."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the pictures are anything to go by, Deathwatch seems like they'll be interesting. Another avenue to go hyper-elite with space marines and use a bunch of kits and bits to customize everything. That has my interest since I love converting and kitbashing, but I've got more than enough to work on for now.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Side note: I keep reading that someone at GW admitted with the last Ork codex that they had no loving idea what they were doing with the army, and that nobody involved ever played or even liked the army, let alone knew anything about how they were supposed to function. Unfortunately, I can't find a source (however satisfactory such an explanation would be). Anyone ever found it?
I have never heard this before and I really, honestly, doubt it's true. Orks are likely underpowered just because they were the first 7th edition book. That always happens to the "lucky" army to get updated first.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

And the facebook says that "all will be revealed tomorrow"
Isn't this just going to be the new boxed set?

TheChirurgeon posted:

I am disappointed that the DW from Overkill do not seem to be in the Codex, given the leaked TOC, but they seem easy to replicate:
They might do a WD update, since they seem to be doing that now with the standalone game sets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

I have never heard this before and I really, honestly, doubt it's true. Orks are likely underpowered just because they were the first 7th edition book. That always happens to the "lucky" army to get updated first.

But this just shows how GW's piecemeal update codex schedule seriously fucks over any idea of 'balance' in this game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
All this Deathwatch stuff looks sweet as hell. Looking forward to getting the Aliens dropship and loading it full of veterans then charging them all out into someone's face. This also finally gives me a use for a bunch of the random Space Wolves, Dark Angels, and other bits I've just had lying around for a long time. Will definitely make for a cool allied force.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

Isn't this just going to be the new boxed set?

They might do a WD update, since they seem to be doing that now with the standalone game sets.

Yeah, they put them in WD back in March when the kit was released, but yeah we'll need an update before those can be used with Deathwatch armies. It also doesn't look like there's a "Captain Artemis" entry either though, so maybe the idea is that it's all "build your own" and Artemis is just another configuration of a DW Captain. Which would be kind of cool.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Hahaha

"What follows is the shortest round of shooting in tabletop history."

Seriously. Stuff like this is supposed to look cool, but it's hilarious to anyone who actually plays the game.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why would they need to update? They still have Faction: Deathwatch and can be taken in a Deathwatch army. They'll still be individual models that are worthless, but that's how they are now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Why would they need to update? They still have Faction: Deathwatch and can be taken in a Deathwatch army. They'll still be individual models that are worthless, but that's how they are now.

A lot of them would just work as members of the squads anyway. Named dude with a bolter is still a dude with a bolter that could be integrated into a squad.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

But this just shows how GW's piecemeal update codex schedule seriously fucks over any idea of 'balance' in this game.
Welcome to 40k. :v:

It does seem worse this edition though; even 6th was fine by comparison. Between formations and Eldar, everything's just gone to poo poo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ha, good point

Safety Factor posted:

It does seem worse this edition though; even 6th was fine by comparison. Between formations and Eldar, everything's just gone to poo poo.

That's because 7th edition introduced the formation technology to the game, which fundamentally changed how armies are built and played. Armies right now fall into two camps: Those with powerful Decurions and those without.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I remember playing 5th or 6th and having my friend use the demon hunters codex from like 4th and I was using the blood angels "codex" from a magazine, but other than a few funny things like referring to grenade types that no longer existed, it seemed fairly balanced.

Orks, Tyranids and Chaos Space Marines feel like they're all in a very poo poo place right now. Nids at least you can get by if you play to their strengths, but you're limited. Orks and CSMs are just kinda FUBAR right now and you only play them if you love them.

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's because 7th edition introduced the formation technology to the game, which fundamentally changed how armies are built and played. Armies right now fall into two camps: Those with powerful Decurions and those without.

Yeah I really dislike this move. There's too much fiddling when it comes to building lists and there's too many OP decurions.
Switch everybody back to CAD like the good old days.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Dark Angels didn't lose all their invulnerable saves; have fundamental workings of the army completely changed or eliminated; have equipment rendered entirely worthless & then ignored in the update (Stikkbomb Chukka); didn't get a vehicle with front doors that lacked shooting ports or Assault Vehicle; ***

*** You know what, here: rather than re-type all the uniquely debilitating and awful, unprofessional garbage that happened with the abject failure/poo poo-show that was the Ork Codex writing process, here's my post from another forum:

Space 0din posted:

GW: We're streamlining by eliminating single-army special rules! :pseudo:

* Replaces simple-to-remember 10+ Fearless with complex chart requiring 4 different situations/exceptions/caveats that makes Orks literally kill themselves by hitting each other harder than they hit enemies, to solve the problem of being hit too much, increasing complexity to nerf the army

Streamlining!

* Replaces Fleet with unique1/2 Fleet, increasing complexity to nerf the army

Streamlining!

* Adds unique, single-army, single-unit special rule to make Orks have the only vehicle in the game with a de facto LD check, increasing complexity to nerf the army

Streamlining!

* Changes the only source of 5+ invulnerable saves to a 6+ FNP that cannot be improved, thereby altering how EVERY named HQ works, straight weakening them and causing confusion

Strumlinnang!

* Gives everything Stikkbombs w/o changing what Stikkbomb Flinga does

Strimlangug!

* While other armies are swimming in Super-heavies, make an obvious super-heavy vehicle not have super-heavy rules, one that is bigger than many other super-heavies

* Give it transport capacity, but front doors that on every other vehicle give Assault Vehicle don't on it, thereby bucking the trend in order to, again, nerf the army

Starmlognag!

* Sergeant-equivalent upgrades don't have better LD than regular troops, legendary galaxy-wide known HQs don't have LD 10, countering reasonable expectations & thereby increasing complexity to maintain nerfs to the army

Strom Thurmond!

* Change Nob warbike prices to maintain same point cost as 5th edition codex--so S4 W2 BS2 LD7 models pay 7 points more for a loving bike than a goddamned Space Marine Chapter Master

Stormfronting!

* Premier super-heavy costs 20 points more than a Warhound Titan that can poo poo out 4 almost-inerrant Lg. Blast D shots at 96" every round with poo poo-hauls of special beneficial rules like being impossible to lock in combat--BUT can be killed in a single round of melee combat by a Knight model literally half its cost

Sturm und drang!

* Changed Deffrollas from simple "D6 S10 hits" to "Opponent (!!!) must attempt and fail a Death or Glory when Tank-shocked to take D3 S10 hits"

The worst DA got was a slightly-overcosted flier and a meta with too much AP2 shooting.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 5, 2016

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

WH40K music can't be talked about without mentioning the grandfathers of WH40K metal. I give you the mighty Bolt Thrower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY
You should pretty much start and stop there.

Lord Thrust fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 5, 2016

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
Note that I'm not attempting to prove by gish-gallop that anyone intended to invalidate the army into functional unplayability, just that it happened.

Never ascribe intent when sheer irresponsible, puerile, uncaring incompetence will do.

I was mad enough to write a codex at all the perfectly understandable game-quitting orkbros (and their opponents, tired of unsatisfactory/effortless wins) did in response.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Deathwatch Rules on Dakka (from luciban):

"-The "Chapter Tactic" of the Deathwatch is called: Mission Tactics. At the beginning of your first turn you choose: HQ, Elite, Troops, Fast Attack or Heavy Support. You may reroll 1`s to hit vs Targets of the chosen type. Once per battle, at the beginning of any of your turns you may change the chosen type.

Watch Master:
- 175 points
- Chapter master profile (No EW)
- 2+ Armour save
- Equipped with: Guardian Spear, Granades, Clavis, Iron Halo
- Special Rules: IC, Mission Tactics, ATWKNF, Tactic Master

Guardian Spear: S+1, AP2, Melee, 2 hands, Block (Once per turn choose an attack the hit the bearer. Roll a D6, if the result is higher than the to hit roll of the enemy, attack is ignored).
Clavis; -1 to WS, BS and I to enemy vehicles at 6"
Tactic master: If chosen as the Warlord, you may change the Mission Tactic rule one additional time per game.

Watch Captain
- 95 points
- Company master profile
- Usual equipment + special ammo
- May be equipped with anything really

Chaplain
- 95 points.
- Same as normal chaplain + special ammo.

Librarian
- 70 points (Lvl 1, +25 for Lvl2)
- Same as usual + special ammo.

Troops

Veterans:
- 110 points for 5 models
- Usual profile
- Up to 5 more models in the unit
- Any veteran may be equipped with CCW, Special Weapons or Shot Weapons (Translation may be inaccurate)
- Up to 4 veterans may be equipped with Heavy Weapon
- Any model may be equipped with Heavy Thunder Hammer (+30/model)
- One Veteran may be upgraded to Black Shield
- One Veteran may be upgraded to Watch Seargent and may change his CCW for a Xenosomething blade and may purchase equipment from the Special List
- Rhino, Razorback or Corvus thing as Dedicated Transport

Shot Weapons:
- Bolter, Assault bolter, ... etc. As usual

Special Weapons
As usual +:
- Deathwatch shotgun 16" S4, AP-, Assault 2 Shred
16"S4 AP4 Assault 2
Template, S3, AP6, Assault 1

- Silence Bolter

CCW
As usual

Heavy Weapons
As usual+:
- Heavy Bolter may get Inferno ammo (24", S1, AP-, Blast, Poison2+) +5 points
- Infernus Heavy Bolter: 36" S5, AP 4, Assault3
Heavy Flamer
Non of the profiles is one use only. Inferno HB costs +20 per model.
- Deatchwatch Frag cannon: Template S6 AP- Assault2, Rending
24" S7 AP3, Assault 2, Impact
Impact: if target is at 12" or less: S9 and AP2 "

Elite

Terminators
- 40 points per model (max squad size is 5, min 1)
- Any model may get: Hammer + Shield (+10) or Claws (Free).
- Any model may get: Power Sword (free), Chainfist (+5), Power Fist with aux meltagun (+10)
- Any model may get: Heavy Flamer, Assault Cannon or Cyclon Missile Launcher (usual costs)

Power fist with aux meltagun: May use it as a meltagun and a power fist in the same turn. No one-use limitation

Dreardnoughts
No visible changes here

Vanguard Veternas
No visible changes here but have the special ammo rule.

Fast Attack

Bikers
-30 points per model
- Special ammo
- Skilled rider
- Split fire
- Squad size (1-5)
- Any model may get power sword (+5)
- Any model may get melta bombs (+5)
- Any model may get teleporting beacon (+10)

Corvus Blackstar
- 180 points
- Twin Linked Assault Cannon
- Black star launcher thing: S4, AP6, Bomb1, Big Blast
S5, AP4, Bomb1, Big Blast, Ignores Cover
- 4 Stormstrike missiles
- Ceramite Plating
- Assault Vehicle
- Attack Flyer
- Transport Capacity: 12. May transport Jump Infantry and Bikes !!!!
- May change the TW Assault Cannon for twin linked lascannon (free)
- May change the 4 misseles for a twin linked Blackstar missile Launcher: 30" S6, AP4, Heavy 1D6, AA
30" S4, AP5 Heavy1, Big Blast, Ignores Cover

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 5, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
As a Space Marine player I wish GW would focus more on helping the weaker armies...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uroboros posted:

As a Space Marine player I wish GW would focus more on helping the weaker armies...

But don't you want to win all the time? :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Table of Contents of the Deathwatch Codex, shows the full list of units

Land Raider and Land Raider Redeemer, doesn't seem like usual Deathwatch tactics but I guess sometimes they need the big guns.

New flier appears to be called "Corvus Blackstar"

Tons of different "Kill teams" which look like detachments.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
The Ork thing sounds true, because Chaos also has no one who plays it in the studio after Andy Chambers left, and no one championing them as an army.

So instead we've had a couple of codexes that don't really get the army or what Chaos players want (the ability to theme by legion, legion troops in every slot, etc) that is so attractive about the traitors in Horus Heresy.

Even something as simple as new plastic berserkers and plastic Red Butchers would make the world of difference to Khorne Chaos armies, especially if the book is written by someone who knows what they are doing.

People don't really want to collect renegades, but that is what GW keep pushing on people.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Table of Contents of the Deathwatch Codex, shows the full list of units

Land Raider and Land Raider Redeemer, doesn't seem like usual Deathwatch tactics but I guess sometimes they need the big guns.

New flier appears to be called "Corvus Blackstar"

Tons of different "Kill teams" which look like detachments.

According to rumors, they have all 3 types of Land Raider, so the Crusader is probably on page 90 and cut off at the bottom there. See my post for the rules we've heard so far.

One of the more interesting bits is the Corvus Blackstar can apparently transport bikes, which is a pretty new and interesting thing, if not necessarily immediately useful.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheChirurgeon posted:

According to rumors, they have all 3 types of Land Raider, so the Crusader is probably on page 90 and cut off at the bottom there. See my post for the rules we've heard so far.

One of the more interesting bits is the Corvus Blackstar can apparently transport bikes, which is a pretty new and interesting thing, if not necessarily immediately useful.

Doing wheelies off the back of a flying transport sounds immensely useful. Are they not relentless? Get the whole move and shoot/charge. It's not they are crawling out of the belly of a giant slow ponderous trashcan.

gently caress you GW.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Lord Thrust posted:

WH40K music can't be talked about with the grandfathers of WH40K metal. I give you the mighty Bolt Thrower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY
You should pretty much start and stop there.
It's sad that GW is likely too uptight and bad at things to support more tie-ins like this these days. Their entire Realm of Chaos album makes for some wonderfully Chaos-themed 80's buttmetal that I usually have on my painting music rotation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

So you're telling me the Deathwatch are now the SWAT CATS? :getin:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

But don't you want to win all the time? :ohdear:

New Space Marine poo poo is the height of laziness. Recycle 95% of the main codex, change a few rules add a couple models. Woo!! New content!! Now all the militant wings of the Inqusition have armies, how about the OrdoHereticus get an update?

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 5, 2016

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

Karl Rove posted:

It's sad that GW is likely too uptight and bad at things to support more tie-ins like this these days. Their entire Realm of Chaos album makes for some wonderfully Chaos-themed 80's buttmetal that I usually have on my painting music rotation.

Realm of Chaos was the most directly tied to 40K Bolt Thrower album, for sure. The original 1989 recording is a nigh-unlistenable mix, but the remastered version, released in 2005, is pretty ok. That said, it's very immature death/thrash metal. Bolt Thrower really finds its stride with The IVth Crusade. From that album on, if you like heavy rhythmic metal, you can't go wrong.

Lord Thrust fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2016

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Lord Thrust posted:

Realm of Chaos was the most directly tied to 40K Bolt Thrower album, for sure. The original 1989 recording is a nigh-unlistenable mix, but the remastered version, released in 2005, is pretty ok. That said, it's very immature death/thrash metal. Bolt Thrower really finds its stride with The IVth Crusade. From that album on, if you like heavy rhythmic metal, you can't go wrong.
Oh definitely, and even as their latest one, Those Once Loyal is probably their best album. IVth Crusade does have Spearhead, though, so it's a tough call.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So based off all your suggestions I got parts to make librarians and a Capt on a bike, but anyone got any suggestions for Chaplains, models that just have the upper torso for instance?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

I am okay with this.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Season 2's art & intro were 1000% :black101:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Something amazing about the Realm of Chaos album is that the Nurgle song (Plaguebearer) is track 7 and the Khorne one (World Eater) is track 8. It's such a little touch but I love it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So the good spacemarines can now use wierder/less codex loadouts and formations than the guys living in the warp for thousands of years. Not really surprised. Throw chaos a goddamn bone please!

*Talks to daemons, has grown tentacles, still makes sure to wield bolter that matches the rest of his squad*

field balm fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 5, 2016

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
This game is getting further and further away from "WWII in space". I don't think my Steel Legionnaires like it very much.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

field balm posted:

So the good spacemarines can now use wierder/less codex loadouts and formations than the guys living in the warp for thousands of years. Not really surprised. Throw chaos a goddamn bone please!

*Talks to daemons, has grown tentacles, still makes sure to wield bolter that matches the rest of his squad*

You use magic to make up for your lack of resources.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
This just in, heavy thunder hammers are S10 with instant death on a 6.
Because this was a thing that is needed

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strength 10 is going to cause instant death on most things anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hell, the Strength 8 regular Thunder Hammers give Instant Deaths most things.

Luckily they're only on Veteran Marine bodies, so anything you'd want to hit with them's probably gonna be able to mash at least a good few of the Marines before they get their hits in.

• Locked thread