Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pacra posted:

I appreciate some of your insights in this thread since inception, but this is a terrible opinion.

The Izyaslav has glacier turrets and 4km torpedoes, so it's beaten by the Isokaze as a torp boat, and the Clemson as a gun boat and a torp boat.

Gnevny has the same problem, guns that are so slow you can't simultaneously dodge fire and keep them on target, even at the long range that is supposed to be your advantage over the opposing mortar lobbers, and agai with the 4km torpedoes that are about as useful as wings on an Ostrich.

Ognevoi gets dangerous guns in a useful twin turret that you can keep pointed at the enemy while using WASD hax, and is incredibly dangerous to both the Mutsuki and Farragut, as well as a lot of cruisers. Only thing it's not hot at is killing battleships, because yet again with the awful 4km torps, and not nearly as good at starting fires as all the US DD guns.

I really don't see the controversy.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I see the Yamato only get a single salvo off, at a non-optimal angle. This is way to early to jump to conclusions.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Wow! Takes on a yamato at or near full health while the elector is at half. Walks out with 1/4th health remaining and a dead yamato. And it looks like it has the old yamato or maybe the warsprite's heal.

Not even remotely as impressive as that. First off, the elector is roughly 3/4th health(not half) at the start compared to the almost full health Yamato, but not only does the Yamato eat the first salvo almost immediately after it fired its own guns at a different ship, and the elector has a faster reload speed as well so its second salvo would be going out roughly the same time as the Yamato's first in response, but the real deciding factor was those 3 Kagero torpedoes. Watch the impacts and the damage counting up. The elector hits for about 15k in its opening salvo, which is pretty good, but the those three torpedoes hit for roughly 35,000 damage, putting the Yamato at almost 25,000 hp less than the elector before it even had a chance to respond. Not only that, but look how fast its hp bar was ticking down - not only was it on fire twice, but the Yamato was flooding too. And an apparently on-cooldown Repair Party as well, given it never has any slight ticks up.

It was decent, to be sure, but if it wasn't for the torpedo hits the Yamato very possibly would have won that fight with around half-to-one-third health remaining. Possibly more.

edit: And of course the flooding would have impacted the Yamato's maneuvering as well, putting it at even more of a disadvantage.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 5, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Devorum posted:

The Kawachi is bad.

The Myogi is the worst ship I've had the misfortune of playing.

But the Kongo makes the grind through them somewhat worth it.

Kongo is ok, the Fuso is better

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Not even remotely as impressive as that. First off, the elector is roughly 3/4th health(not half) at the start compared to the almost full health Yamato, but not only does the Yamato eat the first salvo almost immediately after it fired its own guns at a different ship, and the elector has a faster reload speed as well so its second salvo would be going out roughly the same time as the Yamato's first in response, but the real deciding factor was those 3 Kagero torpedoes. Watch the impacts and the damage counting up. The elector hits for about 15k in its opening salvo, which is pretty good, but the those three torpedoes hit for roughly 35,000 damage, putting the Yamato at almost 25,000 hp less than the elector before it even had a chance to respond. Not only that, but look how fast its hp bar was ticking down - not only was it on fire twice, but the Yamato was flooding too. And an apparently on-cooldown Repair Party as well, given it never has any slight ticks up.

It was decent, to be sure, but if it wasn't for the torpedo hits the Yamato very possibly would have won that fight with around half-to-one-third health remaining. Possibly more.

edit: And of course the flooding would have impacted the Yamato's maneuvering as well, putting it at even more of a disadvantage.

Yeah, I saw the kagero death, but didn't notice it eating torps from it. Still will be interesting though. The heal looked more potent than other t10s I've seen in replays though. Or at least match warsprite or yamato old heal. Nice turret speed too. Will have to see though, lowest health t10 battleship and fairly weak torp protection.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Plus it's so huge that it's impossible to miss.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Devorum posted:

The Kawachi is bad.

The Myogi is the worst ship I've had the misfortune of playing.

But the Kongo makes the grind through them somewhat worth it.

Thank you for saying that about the Myogi. I feel like I would be doing 2-3x the damage with a St. Louis, which is half the size, and the Myogi makes the St. Louis look like a DD in terms of handling.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just played on a team so bad that they let a fighter spec Ranger get Confederate, High Calibre, and Kraken Unleashed.

Two dive bomber squadrons. Seriously.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thank you for saying that about the Myogi. I feel like I would be doing 2-3x the damage with a St. Louis, which is half the size, and the Myogi makes the St. Louis look like a DD in terms of handling.

Yea, the Myogi is really bad at being something other then a damage sponge that keeps shells from going after more important ships. The Myogi better at handling higher tier BB's then the Wyoming at least, 14" guns and speed lets you set the engagement range against some BBs. Only having 3 turrets though is a huge problem when shooting at cruisers, since typical BB shot spread is bad enough if you can put 12 rounds down range, much worse when you only have 6.

But, the Kongo is a huge improvement, the Fuso is even better, provided you free Xp to the B hull.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So many loving Smiths out today. I just want to get my x3 XP on my premiums, keep getting stuck with 4 Smiths on my team while the other team has good DDs and we lose.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Ok I think, I'll just pop on for an hour and get the 3 or 4 Doubles I need....

I was top score (on my team) in my 3 Roon losses. In fourth game, I DC'd and came back to a sunk Roon. Ended up with 200XP base for that win. Only had time for 1 Tashkent game, 90k damage in a loss.

:negative:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The Izyaslav has glacier turrets and 4km torpedoes, so it's beaten by the Isokaze as a torp boat, and the Clemson as a gun boat and a torp boat.

Gnevny has the same problem, guns that are so slow you can't simultaneously dodge fire and keep them on target, even at the long range that is supposed to be your advantage over the opposing mortar lobbers, and agai with the 4km torpedoes that are about as useful as wings on an Ostrich.

Ognevoi gets dangerous guns in a useful twin turret that you can keep pointed at the enemy while using WASD hax, and is incredibly dangerous to both the Mutsuki and Farragut, as well as a lot of cruisers. Only thing it's not hot at is killing battleships, because yet again with the awful 4km torps, and not nearly as good at starting fires as all the US DD guns.

I really don't see the controversy.

Of course it's beaten by the Isokaze as a torp boat - it's not a torp boat at all. You ignore the torps and use the guns only with their flat arc and decent range. Clemsons and Isokazes can't touch you at your engagement range.

Gnevny is even better than the Izyaslav. You have slow turrets but you're not a US DD knife fighter. Gnevny is about going fast, making small course corrections to dodge fire, while shooting laser accurate salvos. Both utilize offensive smoke to devastating effect.

Ognevoi is like the step up from Konigsberg to Nurnerg - sure, you get a few bonuses, but you have the same guns and now can see up to T8 matches. Ognevoi would be extremely good if it was at T5, but it's merely 'ok' at its tier as it cannot handle the power jump at t7 as well as other ships can, and the Gnevny can hold its own if matched up with it.

The Gnevny and the Ognevoi are also supposed to kill battleships and are very good at it. I really don't think you understand what the role of a russian DD is.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an almost undefeated ratio as the Americans and Germans but i keep losing good personal games as the Japanese and Soviets.

This would be good if my main focus wasn't on grinding the Japanese and the Soviets.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pacra posted:

Of course it's beaten by the Isokaze as a torp boat - it's not a torp boat at all. You ignore the torps and use the guns only with their flat arc and decent range. Clemsons and Isokazes can't touch you at your engagement range.

Literally. These days the Clemson is spotting an Izzy a not inconsiderable amount of DPS as well as 1.6 km of engagement range where the Izyaslav can point and laugh. But the Clemson has 4 knot faster torps (incidentally the Izzy's got 5 km range torps now), so that's nice, and it's got another triple launcher, although it has to show both sides in sequence to get them out. So that's nice, I guess?

TBH we should probably whitelist NTR comments, it'd be more time efficient.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 5, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pacra posted:

Gnevny is even better than the Izyaslav. You have slow turrets but you're not a US DD knife fighter. Gnevny is about going fast, making small course corrections to dodge fire, while shooting laser accurate salvos. Both utilize offensive smoke to devastating effect.

Ognevoi is like the step up from Konigsberg to Nurnerg - sure, you get a few bonuses, but you have the same guns and now can see up to T8 matches. Ognevoi would be extremely good if it was at T5, but it's merely 'ok' at its tier as it cannot handle the power jump at t7 as well as other ships can, and the Gnevny can hold its own if matched up with it.

The Gnevny and the Ognevoi are also supposed to kill battleships and are very good at it. I really don't think you understand what the role of a russian DD is.

Izyaslav was bad, Gnevny was like a sidegrade that got more gun damage on paper, but in practise the improvement was essentially useless because you can never max out the damage on them, no matter what range you're at, or what target you're shooting at, because as soon as you move to dodge incoming shells you lose target lock, and against fast firing DDs and CLs you never get target lock back. American DDs may have mortars, but they can spin and turn and pivot while firing endlessly, and in practise get to land way more shots, and cause more fires.

Gnevny's were easy meat for my Ognevoi, but then again the Gnevny is terrible and easy meat for a lot of things. Ognevoi is bad at killing battleships because two guns at a time just don't do enough damage fast enough, but it was an enormous step up from the Gnevny in terms of its ability to fight cruisers, and to dominate same tier DDs. It's almost like they're from completely different branches.

The step from the Konigsberg to the Nurnberg is completely different, as you're going from a good cruiser in the Konigsberg, to a best in tier cruiser in the Nurnberg, that also plays exactly the same.

I'm not really sure what ships you're driving.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Not sure where the hate on the Gnevny is coming from or whether you'd share the hate with the Ognevoi - your average damage in the Ognevoi and the one-tier-lower Gnevny are almost exactly the same. :confused:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pacra posted:

Not sure where the hate on the Gnevny is coming from or whether you'd share the hate with the Ognevoi - your average damage in the Ognevoi and the one-tier-lower Gnevny are almost exactly the same. :confused:

But the Gnevny was my worst performing tier 5 by a very large margin, and my Ognevoi was my best performing tier 6 in everything but average damage. 70% win rate, 50% survival rate vs 41% win rate, 12% survival rate

e: 66% win rate and 13% survival rate in the Izyaslav with more average damage, yet I couldn't stand driving the thing, strange that

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 5, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This will be odd, but I found the gnevy is a chore to play as well. The izy wasn't as bad, but it got iffy at times. Hell, I'm that guy with a gremy that while I get good games once in awhile with it, I'm still at times baffled how it is considered OP with that slow turret traverse. Of course, I don't see the nikolai as OP either because the AA is pretty lacking (of course, most ships of that tier lack AA, so I guess that doesn't count??).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The first time I played my Gremy I got Ocean, was killed by a devastating strike from something big because I couldn't get close enough without being spotted by a stealthier DD patrolling the diagonal centre line, before I was able to land a hit, and then the team won. So my stats for it remain at 100% win rate with an average damage of 0 :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 5, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Insert name here posted:

Got into a 2 CV game in my Independence and my team's T7 CV was a Ranger while theirs was a Hiryu. He was good enough, and us bad enough, to basically completely shut us both down and I got like 1.5k damage. Feels bad mang :smith:

Just had a T7/6 dual CV game where we caught and gunned down their Ranger fairly early on. Our Ranger and Ryujo then proceeded to lose the air war to a single Indy. A default loadout Indy.

I think our Ranger was being played by a 5 year old.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

But the Gnevny was my worst performing tier 5 by a very large margin, and my Ognevoi was my best performing tier 6 in everything but average damage. 70% win rate, 50% survival rate vs 41% win rate, 12% survival rate

e: 66% win rate and 13% survival rate in the Izyaslav with more average damage, yet I couldn't stand driving the thing, strange that

All I see is that you gained more survivability while continuing to have a negligible impact on the game.

Russian destroyers are not destroyers, they're citadel-less petite cruisers that demand AFT and far-off shot prediction as must-have skills. Many games in a Myoko or Mogami, played at or near max range, will give surprising synergistic insights.

That's the last I'll say about this convo thread.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

wdarkk posted:

The Yamato takes 3 Kagero torps, but the fact that the Yamato couldn't wreck it at close range is pretty drat good.

The Yamato never even tried to fire at him when he went broadside, he fired like 1 or two voleys as he approached but after that he tried to point his turrets at the kagero.

Not saying the ship doesn't look great but you guys are reading WAY too much into one video of a yamato not instantly vaporizing something.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
gently caress this 2X first win. So many fucktards around.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Aesis posted:

gently caress this 2X first win. So many fucktards around.

This is true, but thanks to that I managed to have a 115K damage game in a Karlsruhe of all boats. And I've racked up 21K XP on my premium/elite ships just today!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Finally got out of that shitbox Tenryu. It's actually not a shitbox if you understand it's role, but sometimes it sucks being the odd man out with all similar tiered cruisers in gun fights. But holy poo poo if you treat yourself like an overly large destroyer you can do some damage with those 7km torps.

Onto the Kawachi and Kuma. Let me guess, the Kuma is a Tenryu with slightly more health?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

El Disco posted:

Just had a T7/6 dual CV game where we caught and gunned down their Ranger fairly early on. Our Ranger and Ryujo then proceeded to lose the air war to a single Indy. A default loadout Indy.

I've been that Indy. They just fly their fighters in straight lines and you maneuver your fighter behind them and light them up. Having a good cruiser helps though, because you can only do one thing at a time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The 'Parking Pass' in the premium store isn't a bad deal. 10 port slots for $7.99. Sure, it works out to a cash sale for a little under 50% off, but it's still not bad.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 'Parking Pass' in the premium store isn't a bad deal. 10 port slots for $7.99. Sure, it works out to a cash sale for a little under 50% off, but it's still not bad.

Yeah but they can't even do an in-game port slot sale on their own anniversary. :cripes: Like all hell I'm giving Wargaming more money after buying some gold in anticipation of decent in-game deals. I'd probably only buy 3 or 4, anyway.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

gently caress bomb RNG. 4 attempts on destroyers, all of them at least mostly lined up, not a single hit. The absolute most bullshit one was me managing to to get a manual drop circle perfectly centered over a Mutsuki - he was quite literally in the middle of the oval as the bombs were dropped - and RNG still hosed me over as every single one fell on the very edge of the oval in a single cluster. Hard as hell to accomplish in the first place with slow T5 dive bombers, and still not a single loving hit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Ice Fist posted:

Onto the Kawachi and Kuma. Let me guess, the Kuma is a Tenryu with slightly more health?

More guns, better torps (although you are limited to 4 per side) and you can't quite turn like a destroyer anymore.
But, people know how to murder Kumas extremely well and you will get dunked on a lot.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

El Disco posted:

Lol did they just fly in a giant group and get strafed or something?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah I'm gonna quit for the weekend. Don't need to grind xp anyway.

Seriously, all these fuckers hanging back doing jack poo poo on normal days is tiring enough, but it's even worse now.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Get into a game in my Warspite, lots of cruisers, too many DDs and very few enemy BBs, I think this will be a good game. Every salvo has a giant spread and does nothing. Match ends with us steamrolling the enemy team and I do a total of 9k damage.
Next match, a Arizona somehow nails me for about 30k damage at 15km. My salvo does about 6k. Praise RNG.

Ok, 3 games in and I'm done. Go for another game, all our DDs die 3 minutes in boy is being in a battleship a bad idea.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 6, 2016

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Myogi would be fine, but for some reason (probably because it used to start with 12" guns, before gun upgrades were tied to hull upgrades) none of its hull upgrades come with new ammo so it's stuck with the same useless AP as the Kongo stock hull. It's not especially bad to play (it's more random, but world of warships is super random so you should be used to that), it's just that your shells don't penetrate battleships.
Platoon with a destroyer or something to kill the oblivious enemy battleships, and just drive around shooting cruisers in the face.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

After enduring the divine punishment that is the Karlsruhe, the Konigsberg is a pretty amazing breath of fresh air. The 360 turrets on the rear are a game changer for the German line.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Lost because our team doesn't know how to cap.

gently caress.

Me.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Insert name here posted:

Lol did they just fly in a giant group and get strafed or something?

The Ranger did jack poo poo for damage and shot down a grand total of 5 planes before the Indy, by himself, nuked him. I think he might have been sending his planes against AA cruisers the whole time. Then our Ryujo did his best but I think he was strike and couldn't defend his planes. He did do a decent amount of damage before we lost.

Aesis posted:

Yeah I'm gonna quit for the weekend. Don't need to grind xp anyway.

Seriously, all these fuckers hanging back doing jack poo poo on normal days is tiring enough, but it's even worse now.

Trying to play with these x2 retards with a stock Hipper is literally torture. There is a stupid amount of Tirpitz players slinging HE all the time, and the rare one that uses AP tends to be on the red team.

I got the first hull upgrade with the help of my pile of xp flags and +100% xp camo, so I'm done until Monday.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Pacra posted:

Gnevny is even better than the Izyaslav. You have slow turrets but you're not a US DD knife fighter.

obligatory gnevny knife-fighting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHiIPAGEMNk

and my stats to back up that I have some idea of how2gnevny.

the only problem is that now I'm in the ognevoi I retrained my capn skills while the 1g thing was on (finally had enough for AFT), so I don't have turret speed anymore and the gremy will be a nightmare to retrain in when I get to kiev etc :(

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

xthetenth posted:

TBH we should probably whitelist NTR comments, it'd be more time efficient.

Its getting insane, literally every post he makes is counter to both what the stats websites say and the general consensus of other posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just watched a Lexington do nothing but auto-drops

He auto-dropped torpedoes on the side of a Yorck

There was an island there so no torpedoes appeared

:negative: