Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're going to take that on a hike exactly one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

HEY KIDS LET'S TALK MONOPODS :toot:

I have a Really Big Lens now

My current monopod is a Manfrotto 679B and it has taken a beating over the years, and struggles holding this big motherfucker up, so now's likely as good a time as any to get a new, sturdier one.

Lens plus body weighs in at 10+lbs, and I'm 6'6", so maximum height is going to need to be over 64 inches. I'm assuming 3section monopods are going to be a bit sturdier than 4+ section ones, and weight of the monopod itself isn't as much a concern, I just want to try to keep this big fucker steady when on a walk or hike. Any and all suggestions are welcome

the cheaper option is to mail that lens to me, tia.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

evil_bunnY posted:

You're going to take that on a hike exactly one time.

I think he's up to 2 hikes with it so far. He's a resilient one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

I think he's up to 2 hikes with it so far. He's a resilient one.

And stupid! Don't forget that :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What do you know, I was just going to come in asking about monopods for freakishly tall people.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Calculator jokes never go out of style.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Combination of calculator screen and lens size means you're now pegged as a nudey beach pervert.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just carry release forms on your person and it's cool, people will know you're legit.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
So I don't typically venture into here, but looking for some thoughts/recommendations. Setup is a typical kit T5i (18-55 and 75-300 lenses, also picked up a nifty-50 awhile ago). For the most part, we just chase the kids around and snap some photos - typically indoors. We have been loving the nifty especially the flexible aperture range for low-light, but I think the crop factor is tough in some confined quarters.

What's a good next lens that won't break the bank and still be good for indoor/low-light? I was thinking maybe a 35mm prime? Or should I just go back to the 18-55 and crank the ISO a little and live with it for awhile (these kids move FAST)?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If you like the 18-55 range then maybe the Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f2.8 ?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always best to put a pricetag on lens wants, as you can hit a lot of money fast. Your 50mm prime will most likely be f1.8 which if you're finding you're shooting wide open a lot, either puts you in the market for another prime (the 35mm on a crop body will give you roughly the same field of vision as your vision, to give you a feeling of how that'll look) or spending more and getting the Sigma 18-35 which is the only zoom that's got that aperture. Personally I always like to have as much on the wide end as I can, for the same reason you're finding.

If you find f2.8 is enough, plump for a lens like the one in the post above. The main thing against the kit lens really is the variable slow aperture. If you don't have good light, or a way of easily adding it (like a flash), you're boned.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Sigma 18-35 1.8 :getin:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

You don't need to spend $800 on the sigma to take pictures of your kids, imo. That lens is also massive. Just get a fast 35mm prime, like f/2 or f/1.8 if it's not too expensive.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 26, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Combination of calculator screen and lens size means you're now pegged as a nudey beach pervert.

The 'beaches' of Lake Erie do not exactly lend themselves to perving :v:

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Is $300 a good deal for the following?

Olympus OM-1
Olympus 50mm 1.4
Olympus 28mm 3.5
Olympus 100mm 2.8

Crown Graphic 4x5
4 - 4x5 holders

I'm pretty sure it's yes just for the Crown Graphic, just not sure how good the original series of OM glass is compared to Pentax though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to keep under $500, for what that's worth. I don't think I'm regularly hitting wide open, but I need to double check because I know there are a couple at the low 2s on there now. That sigma posted above (17-50) might be a good replacement for the kit lens with the better aperture control. Hmmmm.

Ultimately, I think we can probably limp along with our current setup for awhile and save some pennies for a nice 35mm a little further down the road. My wife tends to shoot in auto everything so it matters less to her than me. Im just jumping the gun and looking for an excuse to get a nice prime lens. :) always good to have more info though. Thanks!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

The 'beaches' of Lake Erie do not exactly lend themselves to perving :v:
You haven't noticed that whenever the pool is full on a day that isn't blisteringly hot, it's full of Canadians? We MELT at temperatures you Yanquis shrug off as "somewhat warm". Lake Erie is Canada's southern coast - it's literally the closest we get to the equator while still spending loonies.

Without ever having visited one, I am certain there are dozens of nude beaches on the Canadian side of Lake Erie.
/derail

A 35mm prime with a nice big aperture should be well under $500. Have you considered the second-hand market?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ethanfr0me posted:

Is $300 a good deal for the following?

Olympus OM-1
Olympus 50mm 1.4
Olympus 28mm 3.5
Olympus 100mm 2.8

Crown Graphic 4x5
4 - 4x5 holders

I'm pretty sure it's yes just for the Crown Graphic, just not sure how good the original series of OM glass is compared to Pentax though.

Old OM glass is fantastic. Buy with confidence.
E: That 100mm f/2.8 is fairly rare these days and I've seen a few people really like it for portraits.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 26, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

A 35mm prime with a nice big aperture should be well under $500. Have you considered the second-hand market?

I've browsed through KEH, and a few others - most of the 35 mm lenses that I'm seeing are bumping up right against $600 new (35mm f2) and used doesn't seem to bring much of a benefit, but I haven't done complete due diligence yet. Am I just missing an option that isn't surfacing in my searches?

I'm not going to balk at $600 when I already was preparing myself for $400+ for this purchase. And I'll ping a few photographer friends and see if there's a local one I can try out for a few days to see if I would really like it. Certainly not in a rush - outside of the typical "Let's go spend some money on something new!" excitement. :)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ssjonizuka posted:

I've browsed through KEH, and a few others - most of the 35 mm lenses that I'm seeing are bumping up right against $600 new (35mm f2) and used doesn't seem to bring much of a benefit, but I haven't done complete due diligence yet. Am I just missing an option that isn't surfacing in my searches?

I'm not going to balk at $600 when I already was preparing myself for $400+ for this purchase. And I'll ping a few photographer friends and see if there's a local one I can try out for a few days to see if I would really like it. Certainly not in a rush - outside of the typical "Let's go spend some money on something new!" excitement. :)

Check out the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Tamron 35mm 1.8. The Sigma in particular sounds like it would be a good fit for you.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/standard-lenses/30mm-f14-dc-hsm-a
http://tamron-usa.com/F012_F013special/index.html#/

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

Check out the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Tamron 35mm 1.8. The Sigma in particular sounds like it would be a good fit for you.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/standard-lenses/30mm-f14-dc-hsm-a
http://tamron-usa.com/F012_F013special/index.html#/

:aaaaa: My searches must have just been excluding all the other options because these just weren't surfacing. And a buddy has the sigma he'd let me try out.

thanks!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ssjonizuka posted:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-35mm-f-2-is-usm-refurbished

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
So my grandmother is an artist that takes photos and prints them for reference. She's really good, but will print thousands of them out if she has enough ink and the printer is running, which is the problem as she's been through like 5 printers.

I need a reliable prosumer printer, (maybe from Epson because i like their more expensive ones) that will above all, consistently print hundreds of decent photos for under around $200. But also something an 85 year old can handle.

Any ideas before she buys another lovely Brother printer?

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 30, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's just for reference, why not a brother? They're decent printers with cheapish consumables.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Erostratus posted:

If all else fails the Printer Thread might be helpful (but then again maybe not).

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

powderific posted:

If it's just for reference, why not a brother? They're decent printers with cheapish consumables.

Only because i noticed the 2 Brother printers she had were the ones that lasted the shortest amount of time and seemed to run into the most problems (maybe they were lovely versions and the brand is fine). But now looking on Amazon, they look like the highest rated brand.

It doesn't help when there are like 50 printers for each brand.

edit: should've looked more closely at the drat printers whoops.

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 30, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Erostratus posted:

So my grandmother is an artist that takes photos and prints them for reference. She's really good, but will print thousands of them out if she has enough ink and the printer is running, which is the problem as she's been through like 5 printers.

I need a reliable prosumer printer, (maybe from Epson because i like their more expensive ones) that will above all, consistently print hundreds of decent photos for under around $200. But also something an 85 year old can handle.

I mean, if you're burning through Brothers you might want to consider spending more than $200 on a printer.

e. also a laser printer probably isn't the best choice for photos.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Erostratus posted:

Only because i noticed the 2 Brother printers she had were the ones that lasted the shortest amount of time and seemed to run into the most problems (maybe they were lovely versions and the brand is fine). But now looking on Amazon, they look like the highest rated brand.

Brothers are super durable for the price category they're in. Like Mr Despair says, I wouldn't put a thousand pages through them per day, but they're probably the best home "print out my tax forms" printer out there.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Despair posted:

I mean, if you're burning through Brothers you might want to consider spending more than $200 on a printer.

e. also a laser printer probably isn't the best choice for photos.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Brothers are super durable for the price category they're in. Like Mr Despair says, I wouldn't put a thousand pages through them per day, but they're probably the best home "print out my tax forms" printer out there.

Yeah, i know she should probably spend more and save in the long run, but granny has bills to pay i guess. What about this Brother then? Seems solid enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL31...words=HL-3140CW

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Lol at your inheritance just being a shed full of busted printers

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Erostratus posted:

Yeah, i know she should probably spend more and save in the long run, but granny has bills to pay i guess. What about this Brother then? Seems solid enough:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL31...words=HL-3140CW

Buy this one or this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZS5EEI/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFG57ZK/

Take your photos to the supermarket kiosk.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
His grandma is printing reference photos (for painting or sketch I assume) so it definitely makes sense to print at home. Since they're not the final piece I dunno if upgrading quality is all that worth it and definitely not the trouble of getting them from the store.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

powderific posted:

His grandma is printing reference photos (for painting or sketch I assume) so it definitely makes sense to print at home. Since they're not the final piece I dunno if upgrading quality is all that worth it and definitely not the trouble of getting them from the store.

Yeah, it's for painting and she likes to spend hours in front of the computer going over her photos before printing, and she prints a lot.

I'll try to talk her into investing more into a printer. She's actually wealthy, but spends all her money on framing and canvas and is cheap otherwise.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Anybody know anything about fancy camera triggers? I'm looking for something relatively flexible and easy to use for sound/light/laser triggering. Mostly looking to set up temporary camera traps while camping, getting lightning shots, and I have some ideas about setups for photographing flying bats and small birds. I've looked at the Miops and the hahnel Capture Pro online but its hard to tell how well they work in practice. Anybody use either or know of some other device that might be a better option?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does anyone else here think that KEH isn't as conservative with their ratings as they supposedly used to be?

The last few things I've ordered from them were rated EX. They arrived with visible nicks and scratches, which gave me pause about paying the EX price for them, but they worked fine. Today, I just opened up an EX-rated Sekor-C 50mm for my rb67, and not only are there small gashes around the front ring, but there's a good size dent in the aperture ring, part of the rear element housing is broken off, and I can hear the sound of glass scraping inside when I turn it over. I'd figure this is more like UG, BGN at the most. Unless they're rebuilding lenses and the optics are perfect inside, I think I'll be returning this one.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

KEH service and grading was amazing to me a few years ago. Last year I had a run of bad experiences and poorly graded items, culminating with me emailing their customer support about the data breach and never hearing back from them. Something may have changed.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wonder if the change happened at the same time they changed their website.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've besmirched KEH a bit, actually. Tuns out, after closely inspecting pictures on the internet, the chunk 'missing' from the rear element housing is actually a part of how the lens housing is designed. It's just so full of gashes on my copy that it looked like a whole piece had broken off. I'm sorry, KEH. The EX lens you sold me was actually closer to BGN than UG.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
They (possibly?) tried to pull a fast one on me the last time I sent stuff in. They downgraded one item from LN- to EX+ , and told me it was going to take like 280$ off the quote they had originally given me. I reran the quoting tool using the new grades they sent me, and the current offer price was actually higher than when I had initially run it with the higher grading. When I pointed this out to the guy, he ignored me for 3 days then suddenly came back and said they had "made a big mistake!" and would give me what the new run of the quoting tool had said. I've been leery since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Eneloop Power Pack (8 AAs, 2 AAAs, 2 C spaces, 2 D spaces) is down to $30 right now on amazon.