Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zaphod42 posted:

Shouldn't be that bad? that's like the whole point of XML. (Although JSON's better)

There's also assuredly a library to do it for you in any language.

im crying reading this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The XML is my favorite version of the 3ds

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Sorry? :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You're right it should be easy and painless and I'm using libraries that do all the hard work for me and it's still not loving working

gently caress

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ciaphas posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

You're right it should be easy and painless and I'm using libraries that do all the hard work for me and it's still not loving working

gently caress

That sucks dude. I've def been there a million times, banging your head into the monitor because it should work but it just isn't and you don't know why.

What language / environment you working in?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shadow of Mordor clicked with me. Thanks to whoever said to focus on vertical movement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The devs said Shadow of Mordor was supposed to feel like a "trilogy of games in one game" but in the end they were only able to (barely) implement 2 parts of that trilogy. It's a shame, because the game really does feel like it runs out of content when you're nearing the end of the second act. You can almost see the deadlines and compromises.

It's still really fun to decap attack a bunch of orcs in freeflow, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The end sequence is so bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, it is linear and boring and terrible. It's barely above a series of quicktime events.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's not a surprise. I assume it'll peter out when you kill the last warlord with no real conclusion. I think it's a consequence of companies always pushing for more and more with their AAA games, which is silly. Why would you try to make "a whole trilogy in one game?" What is the purpose of that? Just make three good games instead of two-thirds of one really big game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's not a surprise. I assume it'll peter out when you kill the last warlord with no real conclusion. I think it's a consequence of companies always pushing for more and more with their AAA games, which is silly. Why would you try to make "a whole trilogy in one game?" What is the purpose of that? Just make three good games instead of two-thirds of one really big game.

Well the idea wasn't to make the game a huge bloated monstrosity that's the size of 3 GTAs or whatever, the "trilogy" design was more about how the mechanics are introduced and evolve. Each "chapter" was supposed to feel like its own self contained game with its own set of rules, then a new thing gets added and changes it up drastically. That's not a bad goal, really, but the game was very obviously not able to achieve it. It's unclear if it's unreasonably moved deadlines, which is common for WB, or if the team really did just bite off more than they could chew.

Either way, I'd really like to see a Shadows of Mordor 2 that adds more meat and polish on top of the really fun core.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metal Gear Solid V :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I really liked Shadow of Mordor and hope like hell the ideas behind the Nemesis system aren't lost to time. A better game with the same ideas behind it, polished up of course, would be amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Maybe devs should focus on making a good game instead of half of one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shadow of Mordor took the bold path of being a assassins creed clone with a lord of the rings brand. truly incredible, a powerful achievement of gaming.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

In Training posted:

Shadow of Mordor took the bold path of being a assassins creed clone with a lord of the rings brand. truly incredible, a powerful achievement of gaming.

This is unrelated but I am honestly still very angry about what you said about Chunking Express in this thread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Chungking Express, I don't think I flamed it in this thread

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It looks like Rimworld is the new hotness on Steam and YouTube, anyone try it yet?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

In Training posted:

I love Chungking Express, I don't think I flamed it in this thread

Sorry i got you confused Sakurazuka because you posted something about Chunking Express when they rudely attack it. This was very wrong of me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

The penultimate mission with you playing hide-and-seek with the big bad was pretty fun as far as attempts at boss battles in stealth-action games go, if you think of that as the ending and the final mission QTE as an epilogue it works a little better.

Lurdiak posted:

Well the idea wasn't to make the game a huge bloated monstrosity that's the size of 3 GTAs or whatever, the "trilogy" design was more about how the mechanics are introduced and evolve. Each "chapter" was supposed to feel like its own self contained game with its own set of rules, then a new thing gets added and changes it up drastically. That's not a bad goal, really, but the game was very obviously not able to achieve it. It's unclear if it's unreasonably moved deadlines, which is common for WB, or if the team really did just bite off more than they could chew.

Either way, I'd really like to see a Shadows of Mordor 2 that adds more meat and polish on top of the really fun core.

The DLC campaigns did a pretty good job adding new rules and opportunities to use them, to the point where if they really were going for a "trilogy" it feels like a fitting final part; Lord of the Hunt focusing on the ability to control animals and giving you even more beasties to ride and command with your dwarf bro was a pretty fun laid-back denouement to the original story and The Bright Lord shook up almost every aspect of the core gameplay completely and even gave you a huge fuckoff battle with Sauron himself to slightly make up for the base game's anticlimactic final boss.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

The penultimate mission with you playing hide-and-seek with the big bad was pretty fun as far as attempts at boss battles in stealth-action games go, if you think of that as the ending and the final mission QTE as an epilogue it works a little better.

The DLC campaigns did a pretty good job adding new rules and opportunities to use them, to the point where if they really were going for a "trilogy" it feels like a fitting final part; Lord of the Hunt focusing on the ability to control animals and giving you even more beasties to ride and command with your dwarf bro was a pretty fun laid-back denouement to the original story and The Bright Lord shook up almost every aspect of the core gameplay completely and even gave you a huge fuckoff battle with Sauron himself to slightly make up for the base game's anticlimactic final boss.

Whoa wait I never played any of the DLC and that sounds awesome as heck

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have shadows of mordor still installed because i got the GOTY version so i still have the DLC campaigns to do

but drat its like 50 gigs installed and i dont get how, the world size isnt large the textures arent megatextures. it must be the cutscenes

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

what's the express and why is it chunking?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

i have shadows of mordor still installed because i got the GOTY version so i still have the DLC campaigns to do

but drat its like 50 gigs installed and i dont get how, the world size isnt large the textures arent megatextures. it must be the cutscenes

As far as I understand the Nemesis system is a huge memory hog.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Sandslash was definitely one of the coolest Pokemon when I was 7 along with Scyther so it's a good move to bring him back for todays children

You might be interested to know that there is a new grass mantis type too, but it is not scyther

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

Whoa wait I never played any of the DLC and that sounds awesome as heck

Yeah, I remember hearing them get some flack at release but I enjoyed them. Of course I got the entire GOTY bundle with the core game and all the DLC for like $15 so the price was right at least.

Plus there's free DLC that adds a bunch of timed challenges where you need to complete certain objectives in the time limit while also being scored on your actions. If you thought the main game was too easy it really pushes the core gameplay to its limits, one of the final challenges has you kill every single Uruk captain and chieftain in the game in less than an hour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

You might be interested to know that there is a new grass mantis type too, but it is not scyther

Scyther is really cool and then they gave him an evolution that turned him into children's safety scissors.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fomantis and Lurantis

Lurantis is more clearly a praying mantis type of thing so that's neat

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have about half the set I want for my witch doctor in Diablo 3 which is cool but I don't know what I'm gonna do once I have the full thing :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

As far as I understand the Nemesis system is a huge memory hog.

i think that might be a ram thing and not a hdd thing but idk. its probably all uncompressed audio

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lizard Wizard posted:

what's the express and why is it chunking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHznB-_Gbs

Chunking refers to Chunking Mansions and Express to the food stall in the movie.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i cant wait for nms

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHznB-_Gbs

Chunking refers to Chunking Mansions and Express to the food stall in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

i cant wait for nms

i'm getting it too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm getting it too

*inhales*

nicee

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ill name a cool dino or whatever after you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't wait for KOFXIV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Look at clark's climax move lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFzyCfVm8Nc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't wait for clive barker to come back to video gaming to make a sequel to undying some day

:(

• Locked thread