Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

XIII posted:

Saw Stanhope last night. He was good. Roseanne Barr did a guest set. She was pretty good too.

How was Kristine Levine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

How was Kristine Levine?

Alright. I thought she was the weakest part of the lineup. My friends liked her more than I did though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I saw the new David Cross special today on Netflix. Really sharp stuff. His bit on the glut of mass shootings is great.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I saw the new David Cross special today on Netflix. Really sharp stuff. His bit on the glut of mass shootings is great.

I'll have to watch it - he walked a lot of people from the taping I attended. Apparently Rick Perry was at the second?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Hahaha wait, you gotta give us more details. He has people leaving from his own taping?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hahaha wait, you gotta give us more details. He has people leaving from his own taping?

They show at least one person leaving the taping (I was listening more than watching, so there might have been more) and he mentions that it has happened at every show. Overall, I liked it. I couldn't help but be a little disappointed in the "can you believe they sell luggage at the airport" bit though. It's such a worn out premise that I assumed he was using it as a way to subvert expectations, but, nope, it was just another "who waits til they get to the airport to buy a suitcase" joke.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you ever find yourself doing a bit that is on Dave Attell's one album, you should definitely reconsider.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just so yu know Dave has like 3 specials and 2 are amazing.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There's one that's pretty obscure called Your Mouth's Not Pregnant that was pretty good, if you haven't seen that, it was between his album and Captain Miserable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If you ever find yourself doing a bit that is on Dave Attell's one album, you should definitely reconsider.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Just so yu know Dave has like 3 specials and 2 are amazing.

I was gonna say, what's wrong with Dave Attell?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Nothing is wrong with Attell. I love Attell. It just seems like a bad idea to recycle a bit he used given how huge he is.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
David Cross has been doing bits about airports since the 90s. I don't think the joke in the new special is great but it's still funny.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

nerve posted:

David Cross has been doing bits about airports since the 90s. I don't think the joke in the new special is great but it's still funny.

Absolutely nothing is funnier than his bit about the creepy mural at the Seatac airport. I think it's on The Pride Is Back.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
It's not super mindblowing (although I love the huge pause at the start of it that just goes on forever) but I definitely think he needed it, or something like it, up front with the rest of the "lighter" material given how heavy and dark he goes later (his joke about what happens to dead kids in heaven is one of the darker jokes I've ever heard).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Absolutely nothing is funnier than his bit about the creepy mural at the Seatac airport. I think it's on The Pride Is Back.

Agreed! I used to work at SeaTac, can confirm.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

re: bill hicks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So has anyone here ever been to or actually done an open mic night? I've been to a couple just to size it up and see if I was up to trying it. drat...I don't think there's anything more awkward than watching someone just flat out bomb hard. Except maybe passing by them in the bar later. The three times I checked out the place near me, were enough to convince me that I couldn't possibly be as horrible as more than half of the acts I saw.

Watching someone just tank is brutal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah I've been doing stand up since March, there's a thread full of people who hate themselves enough to get on stage in the Creative Convention subforum

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

The three times I checked out the place near me, were enough to convince me that I couldn't possibly be as horrible as more than half of the acts I saw.

You'd be surprised at how unfunny you can be. Give it a shot.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lol

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

So has anyone here ever been to or actually done an open mic night? I've been to a couple just to size it up and see if I was up to trying it. drat...I don't think there's anything more awkward than watching someone just flat out bomb hard. Except maybe passing by them in the bar later. The three times I checked out the place near me, were enough to convince me that I couldn't possibly be as horrible as more than half of the acts I saw.

Watching someone just tank is brutal.

If you ever have a friend say they're scared to try stand-up, have them watch go to one open mic. They will have the confidence of Leonardo Dicaprio at a Victoria's Secret runway show the first time they go up (and lose it after 5 minutes).

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Kinda neat, Blake Griffin has a solid ten minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yG7CM8a5W4

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Kurt Metzger sure knows how to pick his battles.

http://www.avclub.com/article/kurt-metzger-controversy-continues-inside-amy-schu-241308

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Kurt is as funny as he is crazy. Both things are very high.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

he sucks imo

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The best thing to come out of this was that Reductress.com's site yesterday was nothing but rape articles in response to Kurt. And in the Facebook comments for "Most Women Lie About Rape, Says Man Lying About Rape" there were multiple men defending an imaginary man in a satirical article.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kurt's not wrong, but JESUS he makes it hard to agree with him. It's ridiculous to ruin someone's life & career based on anonymous posts in a private facebook group.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'm just glad he's not the rapist.

Anybody else watching TrueTVs Comedy Knockout?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Huh, I assumed Metzger's character on Horace & Pete was a parody of idiots, but I guess that's his thing?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No, being a loudmouth is his thing. He's not an idiot at all.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
His whole UCB stance on not paying was stupid. If you don't like not getting paid don't perform there and don't act like they forced you. And he approached it in the most loud mouth idiotic way.

And the way he handled this thing was poo poo too. He's a big rear end in a top hat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apoplexy posted:

No, being a loudmouth is his thing. He's not an idiot at all.

he's actually really stupid. He's funny as hell but he's one of the dumbest motherfuckers in comedy. A combo of stupid and easily provoked is pretty bad, usually it's just 'haha ok he kinda got aggro about a dumb thing' but this is actually a pretty lovely thing for him to all passionate over.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Metzger is a major cokehead who can't stop getting involved in online arguments. r/opieandanthony love riling him up.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He's not a major cokehead. He just likes coke. I don't think it's quite to the same extent that Doug Benson likes weed. Although, to update on /r/opieandanthony's status, it seems Kurt Metzger is definitely the lesser evil when compared to Amy Schumer and Jamie Kilstein and his wife and everyone else dogpiling him out of SJW obligations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
What did he talk poo poo about Robocop too?????

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That word filter caught me off guard. Good show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apoplexy posted:

He's not a major cokehead. He just likes coke. I don't think it's quite to the same extent that Doug Benson likes weed. Although, to update on /r/opieandanthony's status, it seems Kurt Metzger is definitely the lesser evil when compared to Amy Schumer and Jamie Kilstein and his wife and everyone else dogpiling him out of SJW obligations.

This post is like an onion

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Metzger is the number one comedian for issues where I ultimately agree with him despite presenting his case in just about the worst possible way.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This post is like an onion

More like "This post is like a reeeeeeeeeeeveeeeeeeeeeeeer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't know how old it is, but there's a relatively new stand-up showcase special on Showtime, hosted by Natasha Leggero. She uses old material from her own hour special, but Moshe Kasher (her husband, lucky guy) absolutely slays with new material. He went last, and I didn't stop laughing through his entire set.

It also introduced me to Baron Vaughn, who was also great. I haven't had a chance to investigate what else he has done, but he did a really strong set.