Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yo i'm firin up the stream, twitch.tv/dickeye, hop in to tell me what bad games to suck at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
now streaming yoshi's island

i suck

edit done for the night. im tired and my eyes hurt and my rear end is sweaty.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 6, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's impossible to suck at Yoshi's Island I need to hop in this stream and tell you to stop failing at life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

It's impossible to suck at Yoshi's Island I need to hop in this stream and tell you to stop failing at life.

TOO LATE

i'll do this again sunday and you can all watch me waste all my lives on DKC2 2-1

again

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

wtf are you saying here?

The tv I got has pretty good picture for something that only composite. Good enough that I am happy with how the games look on it. Would be nice to get that other tv, but it way too heavy to lift.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'd rather transport an arcade cabinet to a second floor apartment on my own than move those late consumer CRT horrors.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrLonghair posted:

I'd rather transport an arcade cabinet to a second floor apartment on my own than move those late consumer CRT horrors.

Exactly. It probably was a 40 inch too, which is way too big. Besides, I have a feeling it might not work since it been sitting outside by the road when it has been raining the past few days. The 20 inch Sony I got isn't going to win rewards for picture compare to the the PVM model, but it sits me perfectly fine. Looks way better then the other tv I posted pictures of before.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

MrLonghair posted:

Aw come on now, it only took three people to carry my 32" Panasonic widescreen CRT to my apartment! It'd probably only require two if they were bodybuilders.

(this thing actually isn't particularly heavy compared to some of the bigger Trinitrons, it's just a pain in the rear end to move because you can't get a good grip anywhere)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 6, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

is wetrix on the n64 worth picking up?

The fact that no one is saying anything about it should tell you something. :v:

It's kind of annoying to play and there's a lot better puzzle games out there. Get Tetrisphere or that Japanese version of Tetris with the heartbeat sensor instead.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I liked wetrix :saddowns:

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

flyboi posted:

I liked wetrix :saddowns:

Then you might be the target audience for the official (kinda bad) Plok webcomic in which the rubber duck from Wetrix is a prominent character

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Doc Morbid posted:

Aw come on now, it only took three people to carry my 32" Panasonic widescreen CRT to my apartment! It'd probably only require two if they were bodybuilders.

(this thing actually isn't particularly heavy compared to some of the bigger Trinitrons, it's just a pain in the rear end to move because you can't get a good grip anywhere)

Ya, I don't even move my own bedroom set anymore, so definitely not going to move a 300lbs+ TV myself. My 27" Trinitron is suiting me nicely, but one of those 40" Sony's with the built in stand is intriguing. So when I do eventually buy a house and move, I'd consider having the movers swing buy to pick one up off of craigslist. Though I could (and should) just get a Framemeister at that point. With fewer TV repairmen out and about these days, I'd rather not have something that will eventually die, cannot be easily repaired (who knows if parts are still available by that point), and then will have to struggle to get rid of (would have to pay someone to come get it and take it to a dump/recycle center since the trash truck will not pick that thing up on the side of the curb).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Doc Morbid posted:

I had to get one of those fuckers out of a place recently and it was hellish. Literally just the bottom and a weird side groove are grabbable, and the groove is a trap to smash your feet.

You didn't want it, it didn't display video anymore.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fawf posted:

Then you might be the target audience for the official (kinda bad) Plok webcomic in which the rubber duck from Wetrix is a prominent character

What? That exists? :psyboom:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I found my Pocky and Rocky cart after losing it years ago.

Yo this game is still dope as gently caress and I'm glad I didn't have to blow the 150 bucks or what the gently caress ever amount they go for on eBay now.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rirse posted:

Exactly. It probably was a 40 inch too, which is way too big. Besides, I have a feeling it might not work since it been sitting outside by the road when it has been raining the past few days. The 20 inch Sony I got isn't going to win rewards for picture compare to the the PVM model, but it sits me perfectly fine. Looks way better then the other tv I posted pictures of before.

Ya, if you are happy with that, then don't fret. I didn't even have a TV with something more than composite until my last year or two of college. So I didn't even own a s-video or component cable until ~2006, many years into the PS2 lifecycle and right before I got the PS3. You can always get a Framemeister down the line or whatever comes next and possibly cheaper, surprised no one has put out something in the $250 range that competes with it yet, though I guess it is a niche market. Also, if it really bugs you later, just keep a look out for a different Trinitron with more inputs or even a PVM/BVM and go the RGB route.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What? That exists? :psyboom:

It absolutely does, made by the Pickford Brothers themselves! I can't say that I especially like it but I still keep up with it just for the absurd novelty.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fawf posted:

I also liked plok and have read the comic from time to time :saddowns:

So much self-owning from myself tonight

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had a 40" Sony Wega and if I were in a room that was on fire and that thing was blocking my exit I'd just accept my fate.

I moved it into my house ( this was 2005 or so) with a friend who is jacked beyond belief. I'm of normal strength I'd say. Anyway the drat thing almost killed both of us. It's not just the fact that it's 300+ pounds. It's that it's distributed in such a way that makes it awkward while also being ridiculously heavy. Our fingers were completely purple when we were done.

And guess what? It sucked for retro games. Everything had a weird effect where it looked like you were streaming footage from a Youtube video. You didn't notice it on high Def stuff but anything below 480p looked like this. I remember having Seinfeld playing on regular cable TV and my friend asked what program I used to download the episode. I had to tell him the TV made everything look like a drat Internet video for some reason. No I didn't have any weird settings on the TV that were doing that.

Even if it's a crt, do not get any TV that is meant for high definition resolutions. The best tvs besides I'm guessing the pvms are any size SD Sony or Panasonic televisions with component and s video inputs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fawf posted:

It absolutely does, made by the Pickford Brothers themselves! I can't say that I especially like it but I still keep up with it just for the absurd novelty.

I mean, do they realize they're basically the only people on Earth who care? A new Plok game, sure, but who was that invested in the mythos of an obscure SNES platformer?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, my Panasonic Deskbuster 5000 (may or may not be the official name of this model) is one of the later SD-only ones from around 2004, it doesn't do component but S-video and RGB look absolutely fantastic and even composite isn't too bad.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, my Panasonic Deskbuster 5000 (may or may not be the official name of this model) is one of the later SD-only ones from around 2004, it doesn't do component but S-video and RGB look absolutely fantastic and even composite isn't too bad.

It's got a good comb filter.

Component definitely isn't needed. I only specified it because it means the TV is newer.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It wasn't just later-gen CRTs being a PITA to move they all were. All the weight is in the glass and almost all have no handles or handles placed where it doesn't matter.

The bottoms are always injection molded plastic and the manufacturers were too lazy to clean up parts you won't see so the stress ridges just eat into your hands. I have scars on my hand and my knee from moving those terrible things. While Sony XBR are gold standard never move them yourself. Just pay a poor soul to be your sucker because they are the worst in both weight and ability to carry.

The only super massive CRT that wasn't a pain in the dick to move were Mitsubishi diamonds because they were smart enough to split the display into two parts.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, do they realize they're basically the only people on Earth who care? A new Plok game, sure, but who was that invested in the mythos of an obscure SNES platformer?

I think they started making it in anticipation of a new game or a re-release of the original but that never happened and they just kept doing it because they don't have the budget to do anything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Have you been introduced to the rich Chakan mythos?

Some of those 80's/90's creators with one cult hit under their belt got weird.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

Have you been introduced to the rich Chakan mythos?

Some of those 80's/90's creators with one cult hit under their belt got weird.
Uh, I would unironically and unapologetically read all those, yo. (Art is pretty bad, though).

I always really, really liked Chakan even though the game was hard as balls. Overconfident Pilgrim-looking motherfucker gets tasked by death to destroy evil, and later learns he has to wait until humans figure out how to travel to the stars to fix other worlds? Sign me the gently caress up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would rather pay for a Plok soundtrack, top 5 snes music.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Holy poo poo, a Sony PVM-20M4U popped up on Craigslist in my area an hour ago for $50. Usually you cannot get a 9" around here for less than $300. I responded saying I'll take it, lets hope no other night owls responded first.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Plok was in at least one issue of German Club Nintendo comics too. I think he maybe had a skiing competition against mario? been awhile.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Instant Sunrise posted:

is wetrix on the n64 worth picking up?

There's an enhanced(?) release for the Dreamcast called Wetrix+. Also, a sequel on PS2 called Aqua Aqua.

I've not played any of them but I know some people were into the first game.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Well I set up the RetroPie and it was super easy and works very well for NES and SNES games so far. Played some Megaman 2 and Donkey Kong Country, highly recommended.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I have this odd fascination with golf video games, mainly on PC. When I was growing up, my cousin and uncle were huge into golf, with my cousin actually getting a scholarship to study and play down in Georgia.

Anyway, whenever I'd visit, most of the games they'd have on their blazingly fast 486 were golf games. I always loved the slight graphical advancements from one game to the next, especially the pro shop. I think what really drove home my love of golf games, aside from playing against my cousin all the time, was that I could rarely get theirs to run on my then-386, though not for lack of trying. I just wanted pretty graphics, because at the time, they just looked so real.

So, I think I'm going to start on a quest to gradually collect and play (and maybe rate) practically every single golf game that came out for PC between, say 1987-1996. Maybe not the hard copies, as I have a son and responsibilities, so I can't just be spending money on stuff like this, but who knows.

Any recommendations on good titles from this era? I remember one silly game, I think it was in CGA, and there were dinosaurs on the course. I haven't bothered to look it up yet, but I'm sure it's not hard to find. If it's outside my date range, I'll change the range to include it because it was drat fun :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 6, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I have this odd fascination with golf video games, mainly on PC. When I was growing up, my cousin and uncle were huge into golf, with my cousin actually getting a scholarship to study and play down in Georgia.

Anyway, whenever I'd visit, most of the games they'd have on their blazingly fast 486 were golf games. I always loved the slight graphical advancements from one game to the next, especially the pro shop. I think what really drove home my love of golf games, aside from playing against my cousin all the time, was that I could rarely get theirs to run on my then-386, though not for lack of trying. I just wanted pretty graphics, because at the time, they just looked so real.

So, I think I'm going to start on a quest to gradually collect and play (and maybe rate) practically every single golf game that came out for PC between, say 1987-1996. Maybe not the hard copies, as I have a son and responsibilities, so I can't just be spending money on stuff like this, but who knows.

Any recommendations on good titles from this era? I remember one silly game, I think it was in CGA, and there were dinosaurs on the course. I haven't bothered to look it up yet, but I'm sure it's not hard to find. If it's outside my date range, I'll change the range to include it because it was drat fun :colbert:

Links was the big golf franchise at the time with several versions coming out for PC's in that period. Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman had their own franchises as well at the time. SimGolf has a lot of fans for the course designer, but I think the golfing itself was lackluster. I've got a copy of British Open Championship Golf that I've owned forever and never played; the reason it's worth mentioning is that it's by Looking Glass, the people who made System Shock and Thief.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Links was the big golf franchise at the time with several versions coming out for PC's in that period. Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman had their own franchises as well at the time. SimGolf has a lot of fans for the course designer, but I think the golfing itself was lackluster. I've got a copy of British Open Championship Golf that I've owned forever and never played; the reason it's worth mentioning is that it's by Looking Glass, the people who made System Shock and Thief.

This is great info, thanks so much! I remember the Links franchise, as well as the Nicklaus line, though not so much the Greg Norman ones. I'll definitely see what I can do about checking them out.

Also, I'm surprised by the Looking Glass connection there, wow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I'm surprised by the Looking Glass connection there, wow.

Looking Glass was an essentially an outgrowth of MIT and the developers were focused on designing interesting simulations. That's why System Shock is so complicated, Thief has the incredibly detailed sound propagation model, and Flight Unlimited used a unique for the time fluid dynamic flight model. My guess is they were looking for something else they could model with the Flight Unlimited engine and struck on golf.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Looking Glass was an essentially an outgrowth of MIT and the developers were focused on designing interesting simulations. That's why System Shock is so complicated, Thief has the incredibly detailed sound propagation model, and Flight Unlimited used a unique for the time fluid dynamic flight model. My guess is they were looking for something else they could model with the Flight Unlimited engine and struck on golf.

Another 'shock' connection, but a weird one; looking up "golf", brings up, among the results, "Bioshock 2". Most likely due to the Andrew Ryan throwback with the achievement. I thought it was funny.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Finally the glorious world of CDTV games is open me!

Such as Battlestorm, and nothing else whatsoever.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
From a distance the Titus fox-head logo looks vaguely like a pentagram.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

From a distance the Titus fox-head logo looks vaguely like a pentagram.
Appropriate. Their games were typically conduits for horrible demons to suck all the fun and enjoyment out of a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle. She was skeptical at first when I pretty much made her try it. I stayed with her during the beginning and helped her when she got stuck. Then she started playing it while I was at work too. Her biggest obstacles ended up being puzzles that required you to talk to people over and over. I had to remind her several times about that. She got stuck on Fred and the contract and then purple Tentacle at the end.

My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

• Locked thread