Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effsea
Apr 1, 2013
Is there a world-gen mod/script that makes rivers' headwaters generate above sea level (and the rivers gradually "flow" down to sea)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

effsea posted:

Is there a world-gen mod/script that makes rivers' headwaters generate above sea level (and the rivers gradually "flow" down to sea)?

Alpha release but still pretty cool.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2346379-streams-real-flowing-rivers

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ambaire posted:

The hub world (an rftools dimension) for the new Disasterpiece Theater server is having some weird behavior for tick times. When someone is in the hub world, the tick times are normal around 8-12 but when no one is in the hub world, the tick times are ballooning to 150-200+. Has anyone encountered this before? The admins have already done a few 'run opis when noone is in hub then run around breaking all the laggy poo poo' runs... but the real question is why the gently caress should stuff eat more tick time when noone is in the dimension. Doesn't matter where one is in the dimension, just that a player is present.

Edit: No player present in dimension 11

And about 30 seconds later after I warped to the hub world and flew 500 blocks away from everything so it couldn't possibly be influenced by me. Except me being in the dimension.

Edit: And the lag source is, again, motherfucking advanced generator turbine controllers. Why. Why do they lag up the place when noone is in the loving dimension but are fine otherwise.

And thaumcraft runic matrixes...

This is the OPIS report from the sweep ran Tuesday.

Quoting this again to say that we got Akliz involved, and after doing some tests, this is what they came back with: "It looks like the increased usage is from Applied Energistics finding matching recipes. Attached is a screenshot of the trace. Do you know if someone has set something up relating to that? Perhaps try disabling it?"

They didn't attach a screenshot. :/

Has anyone else seen this before? I googled around and didn't see anything specific about it aside from a bit about storage drawers causing lag when attached to ME networks.

EDIT: I found two bugs that seem relevant. Molecular Assemblers cause lag and parts of the ME system that have crafting cards also cause lag. Some further googling turned up that sometimes, attaching an ME network to storage drawers can cause problems.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 1, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, does anyone know anything about detecting specific items in specific places in 1.7.10? I'm trying to make a contraption that, when a particular item is placed on something, it'll trigger. The thing the item gets placed on could be a pedestal, or an item frame, or whatever, as long as it's not a chest. I know I can do this with some various mod shenanigans if I use a chest, but I want the item to be on display, rather than hidden in a chest.

Pretty sure anything that can contain an item is considered a container, so you can detect items that way.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

Quoting this again to say that we got Akliz involved, and after doing some tests, this is what they came back with: "It looks like the increased usage is from Applied Energistics finding matching recipes. Attached is a screenshot of the trace. Do you know if someone has set something up relating to that? Perhaps try disabling it?"

They didn't attach a screenshot. :/

Has anyone else seen this before? I googled around and didn't see anything specific about it aside from a bit about storage drawers causing lag when attached to ME networks.

EDIT: I found two bugs that seem relevant. Molecular Assemblers cause lag and parts of the ME system that have crafting cards also cause lag. Some further googling turned up that sometimes, attaching an ME network to storage drawers can cause problems.

That sounds like there are two or more Patterns in AE defining how to make an item, possibly disagreeing on how to make it (where the input goes and output comes out). Often occurs with Quantum Network Bridges (QNB) and people connecting fully (so Patterns are shared across the networks) instead of as a sub-network (where only the resources are shared, not Patterns).

Try disconnecting each QNB until the lag goes away (may take a bit of time to clear after each QNB is removed) until you find the culprit, or just convert all QNB connections into sub-network-only connections. I was talking to Datasmurf a bit about this on IRC as well and it may be causing your AE network resets.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just noticed that Blizzes are allowed to spawn in higher light levels be default--or at least that somehow happened in my BFSR configurations. What? The blitzes and the ... sludge poo ones that I forgot the name of won't, but blizzes are turned on. Has anybody sorted out a basis for that? I was doing a test base in taiga, and they like to pop up when I walk from one end of my base to another. I managed to disable that, and I'm left puzzled why I had to in the first place.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The blizz, basalz and the blitz are set to spawn at light level 8 as default in my config.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

lolmer posted:

That sounds like there are two or more Patterns in AE defining how to make an item, possibly disagreeing on how to make it (where the input goes and output comes out). Often occurs with Quantum Network Bridges (QNB) and people connecting fully (so Patterns are shared across the networks) instead of as a sub-network (where only the resources are shared, not Patterns).

Try disconnecting each QNB until the lag goes away (may take a bit of time to clear after each QNB is removed) until you find the culprit, or just convert all QNB connections into sub-network-only connections. I was talking to Datasmurf a bit about this on IRC as well and it may be causing your AE network resets.

Today I went to test out some things. I made a new dim with the same properties as the hub world and then copied and pasted the hub dim's contents wholesale directly into the new one. This new test dimension behaved exactly like the hub world. I began deleting bases and after a few I noticed that the lag problem went away in that dimension. I managed to narrow it down to 4 bases that are causing all the lag. If I delete them all, then the dim plays fine when no one's in it. If I leave any one of them standing, then the dim's tick time climbs upward into the hundreds of ms. The major problem is that only 1 of the bases has QNBs, and while the other 4 have ME networks, I'm not sure what inside them could be causing conflicts.

When the server population is next low, I'll try to repeat the experiment and see if I can narrow it down some more.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I've been playing Blightfall and having a lot of fun, but I tried to learn Applied Energistics today and it is frustrating the hell out of me. It's taken forever for me to learn how to do anything, but now I'd just like to learn some automating and it just won't work. Are there any tutorials or instructions out there that aren't an hour long video, etc?

So far, I've figured out how to power my things, built my inscriptors, got pattern-making going, have digital storage going, and I have a crystal growing tank set up. The two things I want to do are to automate my inscriptors, and then to be able to build things with patterns. Can someone point me in the right direction - I've literally spent hours without a whole lot of luck.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

I've been playing Blightfall and having a lot of fun, but I tried to learn Applied Energistics today and it is frustrating the hell out of me. It's taken forever for me to learn how to do anything, but now I'd just like to learn some automating and it just won't work. Are there any tutorials or instructions out there that aren't an hour long video, etc?

So far, I've figured out how to power my things, built my inscriptors, got pattern-making going, have digital storage going, and I have a crystal growing tank set up. The two things I want to do are to automate my inscriptors, and then to be able to build things with patterns. Can someone point me in the right direction - I've literally spent hours without a whole lot of luck.

I would say that automating inscribers in blightfall isnt needed, but here is the tutorial i use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp00nbGcSoA

no idea if that works, ctl v put tags in automatically (im scared...)

With patterns you need the ... god i cant remember the name of it - edit- molecular assembler- . but you put 5 of them on an ME interface and connect the remaining face to the network.

Just remember when making patterns you need to manually switch on the pattern terminal between making a 'processing' pattern and a 'crafting pattern' you have to click the pic to make the processing patterns for your inscribers.

I think (its been a while) that this is the vid i watched for the autocrafting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIXJ4ezEHJM

Autocrafting is so much easier to set up than automating inscribers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

neogeo0823 posted:

I managed to narrow it down to 4 bases that are causing all the lag. If I delete them all, then the dim plays fine when no one's in it. If I leave any one of them standing, then the dim's tick time climbs upward into the hundreds of ms. The major problem is that only 1 of the bases has QNBs, and while the other 4 have ME networks, I'm not sure what inside them could be causing conflicts.
You might as well strike out the QNB one and reprofile with just the others. There are a few things I'd examine:

1. Are any of them interacting directly with the world with formation or annihilation planes?
2. Are their disks full?
3. Are they running some jobs either automatically or longstanding while the player is offline?

OneTwentySix posted:

Are there any tutorials or instructions out there that aren't an hour long video, etc?

You'll be blowing an hour or more no matter what you do. Text-wise, there isn't a silver bullet IMO. Even my stuff in BFSR is not God's Gift to Learning AE2. IMO you are best served getting onto one of the private servers and getting a tour of a rig.

The inscribers are a pain in the rear end to do because sides matter. You leave the plate in the thing; that can't be switched in or out. Then you use the top side for the upper-left port in the GUI, the bottom for the lower-right port in the GUI, and the front to extract output. I think it's the AE2 Stuff mod that adds an advanced inscriber that is less fussy.

The BFSR chapter is good for the ingredients for autocrafting. The general gist is that you need:
1. A pattern terminal.
2. Blank patterns
3. A molecular assembler
4. An ME interface
5. One crafting storage; you get one crafting CPU for free from this
6. Both the input and output of the crafting steps already created for programming patterns

Load a pattern into the pattern terminal. Make sure it's in craft mode where it listens to your crafting recipe; there's an alternate mode for machines to create patterns that indicate that A, B, C, will yield X arbitrarily that you use on machine. Program the pattern and pull it out. Place the molecular assembler on the network. Place the interface against the assembler. Right click it and place the pattern inside. Place the crafting storage on the network. Return to a terminal and sort by what is craftable. You should see the crafted item show up with "CRAFT" written on it. This will then give you the option to create a job to make it. With 1k storage, you should be able to do basic crafting.

Molecular assemblers and interfaces will chew through available channels. However, the crafting storage can be combined with other storage and CPUs as a single multiblock unit. Give it room to grow but don't reserve many channels for it.

At least I hope I got it right because I'm running that off the top of my head.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

OneTwentySix posted:

Make a 1k Crafting Storage block, attach it to your network somewhere. Make a Pattern Terminal, a bunch of ME Interfaces, and Blank Patterns. Go into the Pattern Terminal, click on a button on the right side under the item list that looks like a crafting bench to turn it to Processing mode, and the crafting output box will change to three boxes.

With a blank pattern in the upper right slot beside these three, put the input into the crafting grid (ie, gold ingot) and whatever you hope to get out of the inscriber (ie Printed Logic Circuit) on one of the three output slots. Then you click the arrow button to turn it into an Encoded Pattern. Take this and your ME Interfaces to whatever inscriber, in this example, you've got the Inscriber Logic Press inside, stick the interface on the side of the inscriber, stick the encoded pattern into the interface. (Note that you can't tell AE2 to automatically input the inscriber press to use only one inscriber for crafting everything. You need one for each Printed _, plus one for assembling the processors at the end)

Now, when you access your ME storage from a terminal, when there are no Printed Logic Circuits stored it will have the icon of one with 'Craft' in place of the amount.

Autocrafting stuff that is just made in a crafting bench is the same except the pattern terminal needs to be in crafting mode, and the interfaces get stuck onto the side of a Molecular Assembler instead of some other machine.

The big difficulty with Inscriber automation is the non-configurable sides you need to be aware of. If you have AE2 Stuff's Advanced Inscriber this doesn't matter and you can have your interface attached to any side of it, with a 'printed ___ circuit+redstone+printed silicon=whatever processor' pattern. With regular inscribers, the top slot is filled from the top face, the middle slot filled from the left (your left while looking at it), bottom from the bottom, and the output slot is the right face. And because of how AE2 handles its crafting, this means you'll need something automatically pushing redstone and printed silicon into the inscriber you're using. An Export Bus for the left and bottom sides will suit, plus an Import Bus on the right side to collect the result.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can actually use hoppers to "automate" inscribers if you rotate them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Installed the pioneers modpack for 1.8.9 because it has a good list of magic mods and a little bit of tech thrown in. It's good fun so far but it tells me very loudly that the botania mod it uses is an unofficial update so I want to know if it's worth delving into deeply for fear of bugs.

It'd also be cool if anyone knows what the special unlocks for thaumcraft research tabs are. I know golems are snowmen or crafted iron golems but what about the rest?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

You can actually use hoppers to "automate" inscribers if you rotate them.

Or an Item Conduit setup with filters is fun. I like to do it with distinct conduit 'networks' that are divded up, so roughly it goes:

Raw Inputs -> Basic Chips -> Intermediate Chest (completed basic chips plus raw redstone) -> Completed chips -> Pickup chest

Then a bunch of item filters so that each side only gets the right stuff.

Edit: Actually with item filters they probably don't need to be distinct at all

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You might as well strike out the QNB one and reprofile with just the others. There are a few things I'd examine:

1. Are any of them interacting directly with the world with formation or annihilation planes?
2. Are their disks full?
3. Are they running some jobs either automatically or longstanding while the player is offline?

I'll crosspost this to the thread and ask my users to double check for any of this.

Also, the Akliz tech gave me the screenshot of their profiling. Hopefully it'll be of some use?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Demiurge4 posted:

Installed the pioneers modpack for 1.8.9 because it has a good list of magic mods and a little bit of tech thrown in. It's good fun so far but it tells me very loudly that the botania mod it uses is an unofficial update so I want to know if it's worth delving into deeply for fear of bugs.

It'd also be cool if anyone knows what the special unlocks for thaumcraft research tabs are. I know golems are snowmen or crafted iron golems but what about the rest?

My speculation is that it's a build that prevents passive flowers from dying. IIRC there were forks off of that due to all the drama ("I just want to use 1280 daylilies!"). Everything else is probably fine.

Speaking of server performance degradation:

neogeo0823 posted:

I'll crosspost this to the thread and ask my users to double check for any of this.

Smells like longstanding autocrafting jobs or a lot of on-demand stuff. If I remember right, you can right-click their autocrafting rigs to find out what they're doing. I'd wager that they're working on some goofy stuff. In particular, I suspect there are on-demand jobs triggering crafting steps constantly.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

OgNar posted:

The blizz, basalz and the blitz are set to spawn at light level 8 as default in my config.

1. excellent av

2. What mod do you use to configure light level spawn permissions?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ergot posted:

1. excellent av

2. What mod do you use to configure light level spawn permissions?

I dont use any mod for that. I pulled that out of the \config\cofh\thermalfoundation\common.cfg

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've picked TechNodeFirmaCraft back up because I'm an absolute masochist, but after generating 6 worlds I've not found one that has a decent distribution of early game resources. No clay, a goddamn treeless island, no clay again, bears at spawn, no fresh water, and finally no copper / edible plants.

Does anyone know where the terrain generation configs are inside that pack? I wan't to tweak them so I don't have to walk for 30 minutes straight to get to another rock biome.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nevets posted:

I've picked TechNodeFirmaCraft back up because I'm an absolute masochist, but after generating 6 worlds I've not found one that has a decent distribution of early game resources. No clay, a goddamn treeless island, no clay again, bears at spawn, no fresh water, and finally no copper / edible plants.

Does anyone know where the terrain generation configs are inside that pack? I wan't to tweak them so I don't have to walk for 30 minutes straight to get to another rock biome.
I don't know about that pack in particular, but I played a TerraFirmaCraft pack awhile ago that had JourneyMap installed. I was beating myself up over how rare stuff was until I realized I could just teleport across waypoints I could set in the map.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ah, TFC, i should try that out again

TFC hints: tame a horse, it makes searching for stuff a lot easier (until you drive the horse into a loving ravine)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My speculation is that it's a build that prevents passive flowers from dying. IIRC there were forks off of that due to all the drama ("I just want to use 1280 daylilies!"). Everything else is probably fine.

Can't say about passives since I haven't done anything with it yet, but it's unofficial because the mod creator hasn't gone past 1.7 yet.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know about that pack in particular, but I played a TerraFirmaCraft pack awhile ago that had JourneyMap installed. I was beating myself up over how rare stuff was until I realized I could just teleport across waypoints I could set in the map.

But that's cheating!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Thanks a lot, everyone - took me forever to get the inscriptors, but now I think I understand them. Autocrafting was way easier. Wish I'd gone into AE earlier in my game, but it's pretty neat!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What are orphan tile entities and how do I get rid of them? I just noticed I have a few thousand or so coming from seemingly an Immersive Engineering coke/blast furnace pair in our communal workshop.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What, did I kill the thread or something?

I have another question. This time it's about FTB Utilities. We use it on our server, and its chunk claiming and loading system. I've found a chunk that is listed as loaded by FTBU, but is unclaimed, and therefore can't be unloaded/claimed. Documentation on what to do is pretty much nonexistant. I've tried every command I can think of, and even deleted Forcedchunks.dat from the dimension folder of the chunk that I've had no luck. The chunk itself is like 99% air, with some logs and leaves and absolutely nothing else. Does anyone have any idea what's going on there?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, how about this one, then? FTB Infinity Evolved. Any way to make the overworld into a void world? I could totally make what is supposed to be the overworld out of an RFTools dim, but I'd like to make the overworld into a void world. Is that something I can do?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, how about this one, then? FTB Infinity Evolved. Any way to make the overworld into a void world? I could totally make what is supposed to be the overworld out of an RFTools dim, but I'd like to make the overworld into a void world. Is that something I can do?

isn't there a skyblock version of that modpack

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

isn't there a skyblock version of that modpack

yes there is. Which raises the question, is a sky block the same as a void world? I know in a skyblock you still have biomes. No idea in a void world.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
TFC has edible seaweed that's pretty abundant on the coast, so that's a good place to head to if you don't spawn near it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I remember from last I checked on void worlds, there are mods just to generate void overworlds. I think they work multiple ways. You might have to pick it as your terrain generator, or it can outright override it. If you do not want people to have the choice, you want to use Lockdown.

You cannot make the overworld a RFTools dimension, but you can set players to start or spawn in one. You want to use a creative dimension builder for that. I thought it did not need power, but I got bit by that. You can do some cloning trickery so that the dimension is powered from within its own dimension.

Edit: the void overworld dimensions I have tried for skyblocks had biomes, and that mattered. With RFTools, you can restrict it to just one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I remember from last I checked on void worlds, there are mods just to generate void overworlds. I think they work multiple ways. You might have to pick it as your terrain generator, or it can outright override it. If you do not want people to have the choice, you want to use Lockdown.

You cannot make the overworld a RFTools dimension, but you can set players to start or spawn in one. You want to use a creative dimension builder for that. I thought it did not need power, but I got bit by that. You can do some cloning trickery so that the dimension is powered from within its own dimension.

Edit: the void overworld dimensions I have tried for skyblocks had biomes, and that mattered. With RFTools, you can restrict it to just one.

We had actually tried to set our void dim as the spawn point when we launched the server, but for some reason it didn't work. People would warp to the spawn point, but in the overworld, which was 100 blocks above, thankfully, an ocean. The only reason I have to keep the overworld normal is that we're using Realistic Terrain Generation on it right now and I don't know if you can make it work in an RFT dim.

We'll look into using the skyblock version of the mod. It'll solve a bunch of small problems all at once, and I can easily deal with the biomes thing via World Edit. It'll be a pain in the rear end switching everything over, but the end result seems worth it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So Mekanism v9 fully released on 1.9 and 1.10, which puts a major tech mod on those patches.

..and at the same time, Azanor has apparently not posted on any forums for months and TC5 is still stuck on 1.8. :negative:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

neogeo0823 posted:

We had actually tried to set our void dim as the spawn point when we launched the server, but for some reason it didn't work. People would warp to the spawn point, but in the overworld, which was 100 blocks above, thankfully, an ocean. The only reason I have to keep the overworld normal is that we're using Realistic Terrain Generation on it right now and I don't know if you can make it work in an RFT dim.
I apparently was wrong about spawning in one. With Lockdown, you can load a singleplayer game into one, but not start a multiplayer game in one. I recall now that was something that was keeping me back on the BFSR server releases. There is a Perfect Spawn mod that claims to do this, but it is actually pretty old and people were reporting problems with it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I apparently was wrong about spawning in one. With Lockdown, you can load a singleplayer game into one, but not start a multiplayer game in one. I recall now that was something that was keeping me back on the BFSR server releases. There is a Perfect Spawn mod that claims to do this, but it is actually pretty old and people were reporting problems with it.

Add us to the list of people reporting problems.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Guys I have kind of a multipart question.

So I have a group of myself and about 5 friends and we bought a server from McProHosting and did like the $15 plan and installed FTB Infinity Evolved on it.

We loved it we had a blast, played for about a month but the server just kept loving up, it would crash a couple times a day, we'd login and our warps would be deleted and things like copper pipes missing and our world size just kept growing (obviously) it was up to something like 15 gigs making the world hard to backup. We threw more money at it getting up to about the $35/month plan and we still were having issues.

So two things, is there another mudpack that is maybe more server efficient, or am I just using a lovely host? Does anyone have any suggestions for server hosts that are kind of affordable and would be less worrisome for a small group running a modpack?

We'd also love a new modpack to try and would take any suggestions people would have.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've recently gotten way into Hubris on the FtB launcher. It's not new, but it's very well polished. https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-7-10-hubris-v1-6-1-hqm-270-quests-magic-dungeons-dimensions-exploration-ex-listed.79259/

It's a magic-focused 1.7 pack with no tech mods and it's even missing a lot of common mods like Extra Utilities (though I threw in OpenBlocks myself, just for the elevator block). It has a lot of magic mods, mostly focusing on Thaumcraft, Botania, and Ars Magica 2. It's by far the best pack I've played with AM2, buffing its spell damage across the board to make it more worthwhile, and I finally feel cool throwing these spells around. There's a lot of utility there, and you'll find yourself leaning on these mods hard (for instance, Botania's orechid) to make up for the super hostile world, which, like Blightfall, is 100% tainted land. Set up a floating or underground base early to avoid taint.

There's a lot of neat tricks but the pack does a good job of teaching them to you because it's got a massive branched questline. It pulls a pretty cool twist by giving you spells as quest rewards, so you can get stuff like Teleport Home, a long-range mining beam that's basically free to use indefinitely and has the strength of an iron pickaxe, a bonemeal-over-area spell, stuff like that. Later you'll be leaping and gliding like an eagle on a pogo stick and hurling bolts of lightning. It's pretty fun and never felt as stymied as it had in the past.

The questlines are just really comprehensive and helpful and led me through a lot of concepts i wasn't really familiar with already, like Thaumic Horizon's magical genetic engineering.
I would recommend grabbing Thaumic Pipes though, since there's no convenient way to manage essentia and you'll be doing a lot of alchemy in this pack.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I've recently gotten way into Hubris on the FtB launcher. It's not new, but it's very well polished. https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-7-10-hubris-v1-6-1-hqm-270-quests-magic-dungeons-dimensions-exploration-ex-listed.79259/

It's a magic-focused 1.7 pack with no tech mods and it's even missing a lot of common mods like Extra Utilities (though I threw in OpenBlocks myself, just for the elevator block). It has a lot of magic mods, mostly focusing on Thaumcraft, Botania, and Ars Magica 2. It's by far the best pack I've played with AM2, buffing its spell damage across the board to make it more worthwhile, and I finally feel cool throwing these spells around. There's a lot of utility there, and you'll find yourself leaning on these mods hard (for instance, Botania's orechid) to make up for the super hostile world, which, like Blightfall, is 100% tainted land. Set up a floating or underground base early to avoid taint.

There's a lot of neat tricks but the pack does a good job of teaching them to you because it's got a massive branched questline. It pulls a pretty cool twist by giving you spells as quest rewards, so you can get stuff like Teleport Home, a long-range mining beam that's basically free to use indefinitely and has the strength of an iron pickaxe, a bonemeal-over-area spell, stuff like that. Later you'll be leaping and gliding like an eagle on a pogo stick and hurling bolts of lightning. It's pretty fun and never felt as stymied as it had in the past.

The questlines are just really comprehensive and helpful and led me through a lot of concepts i wasn't really familiar with already, like Thaumic Horizon's magical genetic engineering.
I would recommend grabbing Thaumic Pipes though, since there's no convenient way to manage essentia and you'll be doing a lot of alchemy in this pack.

sounds pretty good. ill grab it and have a look too. (ive opened a few packs over the last week where ive played half an hour and then quit :/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Let me know your experience with Thaumic Pipes. I've heard some horror stories about those things murdering framerates and / or causing crashes, but that was a while ago and they might be fixed now.