Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/761758356201541632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. she might be a somewhat sex negative and maybe swerfy, but she is no TERF. honestly her stuff/videos has gotten alot better. most of the bad stupid stuff came from her ex producer/writer. he was giant wanker and quite/hopefully got sacked and now spends his days begging on patrion and jerking off about how steven universe is the greatest show and how games having choices is "problamtic". her stuff is more interesting now even if i dont always agree with everything.

Oh, he's not working with her anymore? Thank gently caress, I got real exhausted real fast of his terrible opinions on basically everything.

She's still a little introductory for her stuff to be really my speed but clearly we need introductory stuff out there, yeesh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Who was this idiot?

Jonathan McIntosh

neongrey posted:

Oh, he's not working with her anymore? Thank gently caress, I got real exhausted real fast of his terrible opinions on basically everything.

She's still a little introductory for her stuff to be really my speed but clearly we need introductory stuff out there, yeesh.

amen to that. I actualy liked her new video. I dont agree with her some personal dislike of some games though(like bioshock infinite) but its alot better then it used to be. I think the Doom outburts hurt her a bit so she tossed his rear end. Jonathan McIntosh is all the bad parts of the left wrapped into one hipster shitfuck.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jonathan McIntosh

amen to that. I actualy liked her new video. I dont agree with her some personal dislike of some games though(like bioshock infinite) but its alot better then it used to be. I think the Doom outburts hurt her a bit so she tossed his rear end. Jonathan McIntosh is all the bad parts of the left wrapped into one hipster shitfuck.

On a side note your av seems very mean spirited

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jonathan McIntosh

Bioshock Infinite is "maybe the truth is in the middle" bullshit married to incomprehensible bullshit "quantum physics", it is terrible and says a lot about your tastes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Bioshock Infinite is terrible and Steven Universe is good.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Not empty quoting, this is pretty much fact. Bioshock justifies slavery by making the lower class literally be as bad as the upper class if they ever had a taste of power. Steven Universe put emphasis on empathy and understands more on the concepts of sides. Mainly through the lens of a child growing up.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Annointed posted:

Not empty quoting, this is pretty much fact. Bioshock justifies slavery by making the lower class literally be as bad as the upper class if they ever had a taste of power. Steven Universe put emphasis on empathy and understands more on the concepts of sides. Mainly through the lens of a child growing up.

There's a really weird and lovely retcon of the Vox Populi stuff in the DLC too and it's the worst part of what is ostensibly the best (only good) thing about Infinite.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
infinite is irredeemable trash that wants to be super deep maaaaaaaaaan but it literally opens with yelling RACISM: ITS BAD

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Elizabeth's magical daughter/waifu -ness is pretty gross as well.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The amazing thing about neo-reactionaries and the alt right is that I honestly don't know how earnest they're being because everything about them is dumb enough to be some kind of ham-fisted parody.

https://twitter.com/AltRightWho/status/761550877274599427

:allears:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Pray tell what "bad parts of the left" are you talking about

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

infinite is irredeemable trash that wants to be super deep maaaaaaaaaan but it literally opens with yelling RACISM: ITS BAD

Worst part is, it's not even that cutting in displaying the racism in its entirety. If they actually went whole hog they would have a much more raw and respectable thing for it. By showing the raw harshness and systemic oppression and contrast it with different kinds of discrimination, they could have shown just exactly how awful the setting is. Wulfenstein the New Order displayed the horrors of a world ruled by fascism with no apologetics or pulling any of its punches in ways Bioshock: Infinite can never do. Also it's better in the gameplay department to, so there's literally no excuse to play Bioshock if you can get Wulfenstein:TNO.

I blame South Park for making anti-intellectualism and being the white middle class superior by default because they don't have to care for anything, something that people would think is good. Oh of course they can laugh at everyone, they already are in the best social position they'll ever have, so gently caress change. South Park made conservative lines of thought and middle ground bullshit cool to lovely teens, now lovely adults.

Instead he made the one female minority character who has a lot of good traits, someone who could be a role model to look up to, literally try to murder children. Good going Ken Levine, I sure hope you don't gently caress up the Twilight Zone.

Annointed has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Aug 6, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Annointed posted:

Worst part is, it's not even that cutting in displaying the racism in its entirety. If they actually went whole hog they would have a much more raw and respectable thing for it. By showing the raw harshness and systemic oppression and contrast it with different kinds of discrimination, they could have shown just exactly how awful the setting is. Wulfenstein the New Order displayed the horrors of a world ruled by fascism with no apologetics or pulling any of its punches in ways Bioshock: Infinite can never do. Also it's better in the gameplay department to, so there's literally no excuse to play Bioshock if you can get Wulfenstein:TNO.

Instead he made the one female minority character who has a lot of good traits, someone who could be a role model to look up to, literally try to murder children. Good going Ken Levine, I sure hope you don't gently caress up the Twilight Zone.

Agreed. Wolfenstein does everything that bioshock infinite tries to do and does it right and without the dumb dimension hopping that makes poo poo moot. and fitzroy is poo poo, there are kernels of ok ideas with the vox, that can be kinda seen in some of the early stage demos. instead they feel like weird incredibly misguided afterthought that were kept in because "truth=middle" or something. apparently in the original ideas they were supposed to be more paris commune/sans collute like and fitzroy was an irish woman idk. personally. i just don't hate the game. its incredibly flawed as poo poo, but i still enjoy it. I think 1 and 2(somewhat) cover their story/themes a thousand times better. but i have soft spot for it.

Fututor Magnus posted:

Pray tell what "bad parts of the left" are you talking about

bad wording. its more like he comes off bad stereotype of what a white leftist is. I agree with a decent amount of his points, but he comes off as a prudish rear end in a top hat who finds everything pernicious if the messages(overt or underlying) doesn't line up with his own.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 12:08 on Aug 6, 2016

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lady Naga posted:

Maybe both are in fact trash for morons

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Maybe both are in fact trash for morons

okay honey

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Bioshock Infinite is "maybe the truth is in the middle" bullshit married to incomprehensible bullshit "quantum physics", it is terrible and says a lot about your tastes.

I've never played it, but it could be the best game ever and I'd still hate Ken Levine for the poo poo he pulled on his employees

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Steven Universe is literally a cartoon for children, so perhaps the problem is more the adult fanbase.

Meanwhile, what's happening at the Fahrenheit:1488 blog? Well, not much, and certainly nothing from our good friend ClarkHat. But they have published an article on the power of technology to change the world, which, as Marxist historical materialism goes, falls a bit when they list Satoshi Nakamoto with Martin Luther. (I'm almost surprised they didn't list Urbit.) Don't worry if you're more of an ideas man than someone who can actually do this stuff - "He’s code-adjacent, which is enough to direct the conduit" as the author clarifies in the comments.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

- a mature cool adult who watches a cartoon for children

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

thats nice dear, have fun with your friends

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

daaaaamn, haven't heard burns this fresh since middle school

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cool normal people spend lots of time on the internet trying to get a rise out of manchildren. This is the hobby of champions

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Watched Btooom!

It is perfectly obvious that the evil bully is going to become a successful man in a high status job when he grows up, and the protagonist is going to grow up to be a total loser. Further, the evil bully is not evil at all. He is mentoring the protagonist, trying to give protagonist a little bit of the fathering that he has never known and desperately needs, to help the protagonist to not become the total loser that he is growing up to become.

I originally decided to watch Btooom! because of an online review that it oppressed and degraded the female love interest, though in fact the male protagonist is horribly castrated, and is incessantly bullied and oppressed by the female love interest, on whom he never makes a move.

Now I can see there is a moral argument for him refraining from slapping her around and telling her “I saved your life umpteen times per episode, so put out, woman” but she desperately needs to be slapped around and told to do some cooking, cleaning, and lose the bad attitude. Just as the protagonist would have been a whole lot better off if evil bully / mentor had beaten the crap out of him, she would have been a lot better off if the protagonist had beaten the crap out of her.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

It would have been appropriate for you to watch your cartoons then :)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

You can be certain of one thing about security badges – they have nothing to do with security. Identification badges are the way a corporation demonstrates ownership of its employees.

Any company that wants its workers to be numbered like animals in a stockyard is doing some pretty appalling poo poo in the backrooms. You don’t want to be associated with any institution that wants you to display a barcode like a tag in the ear of a piece of livestock.

If the bosses really trusted you, then they would make an effort to learn your name. If you need to wear a chip-embedded card to gain access to your workplace, it is certain that the higher-ups already have their suspicions about you. An access badge is a symbol that you are distrusted, and you need to return the mistrust. If your activities in the office are tracked by a microchip, you can be sure that the authorities aren’t surveilling your movements for your benefit – no, your owners like to know exactly where their possessions are each moment of the day.

If you observe the corporation carefully, you will notice that badges are most prominently displayed by the lower-paid employees. The further you ascend up the hierarchy, the less the identification cards will be worn – and the head honchos will not be displaying any insignia whatsoever. The only thing a lanyard around your next demonstrates is your lowliness. An identification badge doesn’t prove your identity, just your inferiority.

Any company that makes you wear an ID badge is not a place where you want to be working. If the business is not small enough for you to know everyone personally, then you aren’t going to want to be spending your time there. An honorable man looks you in the eye – not at your name tag.

We don’t know exactly what constitutes the Mark of the Beast in the Book of Revelation, but you can be drat certain that it’s going to display your surname. An individualist doesn’t need an official card to certify his identity. A free man knows who he is.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nope, I went to middle school in the bottom of a well. The only interaction with peers I had was jeers and taunts thrown down at me from the children above. I was never able to watch cartoons, or eat, or sleep. I died and became a forums-posting ghost. And that is my true and tragic tale.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm continually surprised by this attitude that what people need is a good beating. It's exactly like a cartoon villain flaring his cape and barking "fear will keep them in line!" to an uppity lieutenant, which is ironic since they constantly tout "classical virtues" like physical courage and standing up to people who try to intimidate you.

I think part of it dovetails with this obsession with Tough Decisions that dramatically harm other people. It reminds me of someone on a lifeboat demanding they eat one of the other passengers without even bothering to see if they have enough food, becauase they heard about that happening one time and think having to make sacrifices like that makes them a badass. It really drives home that idea of fascism being the aesteticization of politics in opposition to bloodless technocratic democracy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Magnusth posted:

The worst radfem is still better than the best MRA

"The best MRA" is presumably a benign advocate for stuff like male rape and genital mutilation without the misogyny though, right? As ubiquitous as it is it's easy to forget that MRA is something misogynists co-opted. It's an actual thing with an actual definition.

Annointed posted:

I haven't played Infinite, but what's the context of this? "People in power are lovely to those that aren't" isn't a terribly controversial statement, I thought?

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Aug 6, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Deified Data posted:

"The best MRA" is presumably a benign advocate for stuff like male rape and genital mutilation without the misogyny though, right? As ubiquitous as it is it's easy to forget that MRA is something misogynists co-opted. It's an actual thing with an actual definition.

Pretty sure this was never the case. OTOH, If you have a citation trail good enough to convince someone who doesn't already agree, it would be an interesting and useful thing to see.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

divabot posted:

Pretty sure this was never the case. OTOH, If you have a citation trail good enough to convince someone who doesn't already agree, it would be an interesting and useful thing to see.

I have nothing but a over-optimistic assumption. I'm sure "MRA who actually cares about men" exists somewhere, even if they're not terribly visible.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yes, but they're called feminists.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Deified Data posted:

I have nothing but a over-optimistic assumption. I'm sure "MRA who actually cares about men" exists somewhere, even if they're not terribly visible.

The amazing thing about MRAs is (a) how little of a poo poo they give about advocating rights for men (b) how directly detrimental they are to the things they claim to be helping with.

Wikipedia lists the earliest forerunners as concerned with the horrors of women getting uppity with their increasing emancipation in the early 20th century. So, much the same.

"Men's Liberation" was a thing in the 1970s, with two strains: one to free men from patriarchy (pro-feminist), the other to fight back against uppity women (same old same old). The two split in pretty short order, 'cos they basically only had the words in the name in common. And yeah, the former basically are male feminists, or aspiring non-shitheads as one might think of them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

divabot posted:

The amazing thing about MRAs is (a) how little of a poo poo they give about advocating rights for men (b) how directly detrimental they are to the things they claim to be helping with.

Wikipedia lists the earliest forerunners as concerned with the horrors of women getting uppity with their increasing emancipation in the early 20th century. So, much the same.

"Men's Liberation" was a thing in the 1970s, with two strains: one to free men from patriarchy (pro-feminist), the other to fight back against uppity women (same old same old). The two split in pretty short order, 'cos they basically only had the words in the name in common. And yeah, the former basically are male feminists, or aspiring non-shitheads as one might think of them.

lol, point taken. You want to assume it started out concerned about issues that effect men and then morphed into what it is today over time, because it makes sense, but i guess it's always ultimately been about The Woman Problem.

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Aug 6, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay, maybe adults can watch cartoons?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Okay, maybe adults can watch cartoons?

Imagine there are 2 basic “strains” of human, High IQ ,Low Time Preference with High here being 100+ on a human average , call these people Hi-Lo’s and Low IQ, High Time Preference, call these people Lo-Hi’s

Hi-Lo’s are civilization itself and the Lo-Hi’s barbarians.

Among the Lo-Hi’s free resources (c.f Africa) or attempted genocide which is what happened in East Timor (The Indonesians tried to wipe them out) and is happening in Afghanistan.

Its quite similar to what happens with feral cats, when people try to kill them of and you can’t get them all, you end up with more feral cats. That’s why cats at least here in California are catch, fix , release which works acceptably well. Well not on humans anyway.

To get the Lo-Hi’s in check, you only need to push them out and stop feeding them either by simply ending food sales and containing them or by more genocidal action kettling them somewhere they can’t get food.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
LoB, you're doing God's work in this thread.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I haven't played Infinite, but what's the context of this? "People in power are lovely to those that aren't" isn't a terribly controversial statement, I thought?

"You see we must contain the Negro and the Irish for they have latent tendencies if not left in check can cause great harm to themselves and society. Give them one ounce of freedom and they'll take everything from you."

Game literally justifies White Man's Burden.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

Sure but then it also couches it in going I THINK YOULL FIND RACISM IS BAD and making the black revolutionaries exactly as bad as the fuckin racist white people

Which is problematic

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Annointed posted:

"You see we must contain the Negro and the Irish for they have latent tendencies if not left in check can cause great harm to themselves and society. Give them one ounce of freedom and they'll take everything from you."

Game literally justifies White Man's Burden.
I've heard people say this about Infinite, but the message I got was more along the lines of "Oppression creates anger and resentment, which tend to express themselves in ugly ways that leave collateral damage even when they're justified." Which I think there's historical precedent for. I see it as all the more reason to attempt to nip oppression in the bud at every opportunity, really ¯\:v:

Polybius91 has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Aug 6, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It is literally a game about how both sides are just as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Deified Data posted:

Rich racist white people run the city, and keep the black / poor / immigrant population under heel. The latter group revolts and then institutes a series of Reign of Terror-style reprisals. Everyone is a monster, and the truth is in the middle or something.

I don't think it suggests the initial situation is justified though.