Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Klyith posted:

you can't delete it because it is in use, or because windows won't give you permission? if the first you need to try a reboot cycle, or reinstall nvidia drivers because for some reason they're still looking at windows.old which is not the place for them.

if the second, you need to take ownership of the folder:

properties -> security tab -> advanced button
at the top where it says Owner: TrustedInstaller*, click the blue text for Change
type in your own user name in the box, click Check Names to make sure it's right, then click OK. make sure the box "replace owner on subcontainers" is checked.
OK all the things
now you can delete it.

with this power you can delete anything, including stuff that will make your computer not work. use it wisely.

The disk cleanup tool should have an option for removing old Windows installations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

I'm glad to hear that but I'm kind of annoyed it's tied to windows updates because I don't want to put my work PC on an Insider ring so it restarts itself all the loving time and I don't want to have to wait for Redstone 2 to run Java programs from the Linux shell. Hopefully it sneaks into a minor update somewhere along the way before the year is out but I'm not holding my breath.

I would guess, since it's unintended behavior (Java is supposed to work), it'll be released as a normal update. Insider will get it first, of course. They get everything that's not a security patch for about a month before the rest of us do.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

thebigcow posted:

The disk cleanup tool should have an option for removing old Windows installations.

That doesn't remove such files and folders. I had to delete some stuff manually too after disk cleanup.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mr E posted:

I realized that I don't have a Windows 10 recovery flash drive. Is there a best way I should be using regarding making one? Are there any other things I should be doing that aren't default to protect against losing my install?

If you want to save your install go to control panel, run windows 7 backup, and make a system image (its on the left side bar)

If you want a reinstall flash drive download the media creation tool from microsoft.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
How can I disable that Xbox game bar thing from running in games, did they really wall off the settings for this thing requiring an Xbox account to access... I want this thing off because I booted up Hearthstone for the first time since the update and to my surprise I get this huge CPU spike that seemed to hard lock my system up for what felt like 5 seconds, I'm going to assume it's this Xbox overlay, because Hearthstones not a CPU intensive game, and this has never happened before.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Im_Special posted:

How can I disable that Xbox game bar thing from running in games, did they really wall off the settings for this thing requiring an Xbox account to access... I want this thing off because I booted up Hearthstone for the first time since the update and to my surprise I get this huge CPU spike that seemed to hard lock my system up for what felt like 5 seconds, I'm going to assume it's this Xbox overlay, because Hearthstones not a CPU intensive game, and this has never happened before.

Update your apps in the Store and next time it'll show up with a 'don't show this again' switch of some kind on it. Might have to reboot first.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

SinineSiil posted:

That doesn't remove such files and folders. I had to delete some stuff manually too after disk cleanup.
Of the PCs I've upgraded to 14393, 2/3rds of them have needed the Windows.old folder manually removed, after running Disk Cleanup. Realtek and Nvidia drivers were to blame.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Klyith posted:

you can't delete it because it is in use, or because windows won't give you permission? if the first you need to try a reboot cycle, or reinstall nvidia drivers because for some reason they're still looking at windows.old which is not the place for them.

at the top where it says Owner: TrustedInstaller*, click the blue text for Change
type in your own user name in the box, click Check Names to make sure it's right, then click OK. make sure the box "replace owner on subcontainers" is checked.
OK all the things
now you can delete it.

with this power you can delete almost anything, including stuff that will make your computer not work. use it wisely.

I'm just being snarky because I had a folder yesterday that Windows wouldn't let me take ownership of because it couldn't read who the current owner was. I ended up having to download a third party program to get rid of it for me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Seem to have survived the Anniversary Update. It did re-install Skype, create a user for me, which it logged me into, and it also changed my default audio device, but other than that, it went without a hitch.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm just being snarky because I had a folder yesterday that Windows wouldn't let me take ownership of because it couldn't read who the current owner was. I ended up having to download a third party program to get rid of it for me.

This is filesystem corruption. Generally a chkdsk /f fixes it.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Klyith posted:

OK all the things
now you can delete it.

with this power you can delete anything, including stuff that will make your computer not work. use it wisely.

I figured it was my display drivers as well because of the name so I used DDU to do a clean re-install before going ahead with the instructions above but it still won't delete the folder (which is completely empty). If I change ownership to SYSTEM it says "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder" and it says the same if I change to admin, my user etc.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How customizable is Bash on Windows? Can I use dotfiles and themes anywhere in any way for instance?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ufarn posted:

How customizable is Bash on Windows? Can I use dotfiles and themes anywhere in any way for instance?

It's supposedly literally using the same binaries as Ubuntu 14.04, so Bash (and any other userland applications) should behave exactly the same including all customizations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

Yes, it is literally Ubuntu binaries, straight off the same package repository as a real Ubuntu x86_64 installation, working as well as they can under a "fake" kernel.
There are things that can't work, because the required syscalls aren't supported, but things that are generally just regular programs and basic text input/output, and basic TCP or UDP sockets will work as intended.

I got TightVNCServer set up a few days ago, that's a VNC server that also provides an X11 server, so I can install and run most X11 software available in Ubuntu, and get them displayed in a VNC session.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Files that deny permission to read their owner exist, but that shouldn't stop you from taking ownership. It can be a bit fussy to do the ownership and permissions in the right order though.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Theoretically, could I use WINE through Ubuntu on Windows to run windows programs that don't play nice in windows anymore? Could i ditch my half-assed VM setup finally?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If I'm not using the new Linux stuff on Windows has anyone else noticed any differences with the Anniversary Update?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

nielsm posted:

Yes, it is literally Ubuntu binaries, straight off the same package repository as a real Ubuntu x86_64 installation, working as well as they can under a "fake" kernel.
There are things that can't work, because the required syscalls aren't supported, but things that are generally just regular programs and basic text input/output, and basic TCP or UDP sockets will work as intended.

I got TightVNCServer set up a few days ago, that's a VNC server that also provides an X11 server, so I can install and run most X11 software available in Ubuntu, and get them displayed in a VNC session.

Does TightVNC work better than the dedicated X-for-windows apps like Xming or vcXsrv?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If I'm not using the new Linux stuff on Windows has anyone else noticed any differences with the Anniversary Update?
Besides the UI changes (some of which are kind of annoying), it broke the ability for programs/drivers like DS4Windows and InputMapper to use their "exclusive" modes without workarounds that need to be done after every login. Apparently the same kind of thing happened with some of the preview and initial builds for 10 and it's an issue that Microsoft likely created accidentally. Other than that, haven't really done enough testing to notice anything else.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What's with the developer mode anyway? I get that it lets you run unsigned apps, but is there a (significant) security risk for driveby attacks? Disabled protections, that kind of thing. And can it be enabled per user or is it per machine?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HMS Boromir posted:

Any idea how I can remove "3D print with 3D Builder" from the context menu for image files? Uninstalling it didn't help.

It may just be a case that while you uninstalled the app for yourself, it's still there in the userstore so windows thinks it's still installed. That's why you can uninstall an app, and then if you into the store it wants to download it again, since it thinks it's still on your PC.

You can use a program like Windows 8 App Remover, to completely uninstall apps from your system, so they don't come back, which would hopefully remove the context menu entry for it as well.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/windows8appremover/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Captain Novolin posted:

Theoretically, could I use WINE through Ubuntu on Windows to run windows programs that don't play nice in windows anymore? Could i ditch my half-assed VM setup finally?

Trying to install WINE on my system at least results in it complaining about a broken package.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Grog posted:

Besides the UI changes (some of which are kind of annoying), it broke the ability for programs/drivers like DS4Windows and InputMapper to use their "exclusive" modes without workarounds that need to be done after every login. Apparently the same kind of thing happened with some of the preview and initial builds for 10 and it's an issue that Microsoft likely created accidentally. Other than that, haven't really done enough testing to notice anything else.

Apparently the SCP DS3/4 drivers exclusive mode works, so at least there's an option there.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Weird. I wonder what's different from the SCP version that allows it to function fine while the others need a workaround. Since it looks like the original SCP driver isn't being developed anymore, is ScpToolkit the branch that people are using now?

It's not like it's difficult to do the manual workaround, it's just slightly annoying that it has to be done at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's the most painless way of reinstalling in 10? I just installed some hobbyist driver bullshit to flash ROMs to Android devices and now I'm getting a cryptic Microsoft Security error on startup that doesn't seem to do anything alarming but is irritating nonetheless.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

What's the most painless way of reinstalling in 10? I just installed some hobbyist driver bullshit to flash ROMs to Android devices and now I'm getting a cryptic Microsoft Security error on startup that doesn't seem to do anything alarming but is irritating nonetheless.

Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Get Started -> [Keep My Files|Remove Everything]

"Keep my files" will leave your document folders (but not your user profile details) intact and purge everything else. Remove everything purges everything in fire.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, gently caress. I sure miss System Restore!

I'll just give System File Checker and Malwarebytes a run for now and hope one of those two solves it, otherwise I'll just live with this mysterious 0x80070426 error on every boot.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

sarr posted:

I figured it was my display drivers as well because of the name so I used DDU to do a clean re-install before going ahead with the instructions above but it still won't delete the folder (which is completely empty). If I change ownership to SYSTEM it says "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder" and it says the same if I change to admin, my user etc.

Update on this: it seems windows magically fixed everything. :v:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

sarr posted:

Update on this: it seems windows magically fixed everything. :v:

Just found one myself, a Hamachi DLL. Uninstalling Hamachi got the file to go away, after that messing with permissions folder by folder (setting the owner to something like Administrators or Everyone and then editing their permissions to give full control) let me get rid of the whole thing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edit: Forget what I said, I may well just need to buy a Bluetooth adaptor that isn't total dogshit.

Khablam posted:

It doesn't properly uninstall leaving windows to assume it's running, and defender won't start. You need to grab their removal tool and run it. Pick every product and hit remove just in case.

Yep, that worked thanks. Although it recommended running Windows in safe mode, except the uninstaller wouldn't start in safe mode, so I just ran it normally. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 6, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

baka kaba posted:

What's with the developer mode anyway? I get that it lets you run unsigned apps, but is there a (significant) security risk for driveby attacks? Disabled protections, that kind of thing. And can it be enabled per user or is it per machine?

UWP apps run in a semi-sandbox, so if anything the risk for attacks should be less than the equivalent normal program. The one risk I can see (i am not a security professional) is that installed uwp apps by default are allowed to stay resident all the time. So potentially good for a keylogger or spyware type program.

Driveby attacks: maaaaaybe? But as previous, a driveby load of a UWP app is much less nasty than a standard executable. Until it actually happens I'd say the security risk for that setting is very low. It is a system setting, not per-user.

So why is it set up like that in the first place? That's one of the walls of the walled garden. If most people can only get UWP apps through the windows Store, that's where anyone selling apps will need to be. It's the wall that keeps competitors out. Once your customers have a bunch of stuff that only works as UWP from Store, that's the wall that keeps people in.

Unfortunately for MS, the problem with the whole walled garden approach on windows is the garden outside the walls is currently way better than the weedy empty lot on the inside. It only worked for iOS because there was no alternative smartphone ecosystem back then, and the rest of Apple's software was deep in who-gives-a-poo poo territory. If you had a Mac you by definition liked apple's software offerings.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

All right, thanks! I guess as far as exploits go "people who've enabled developer mode" is a pretty small target area, maybe less now though. I'm just wary that it might be disabling a significant amount of system protection, but I can't see any warnings for developers about it, so yeah

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Klyith posted:

Unfortunately for MS, the problem with the whole walled garden approach on windows is the garden outside the walls is currently way better than the weedy empty lot on the inside. It only worked for iOS because there was no alternative smartphone ecosystem back then, and the rest of Apple's software was deep in who-gives-a-poo poo territory. If you had a Mac you by definition liked apple's software offerings.

Two or so years later when Android started, it gathered speed well enough. I think it's failing in mobile because Microsoft has no hook to lure people in on. When it was the iPhone as "the thing" Android was billed as open and "not Apple" and similar marketing, which hooked people - even as Android phones became more Apple-like and Google slowly built a walled garden around their users.

But, I mean, a Windows Phone? A Blackberry OS phone? They are Android phone hardware without the Play store. That's not even working out well for Amazon. :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I suppose the software thread is better for recommends, but is it actually worth installing things from the Microsoft store? I've never even bothered opening it, does it have better versions of anything? Applications that update themselves automatically even if you don't open them, so it acts like a package manager?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

baka kaba posted:

I suppose the software thread is better for recommends, but is it actually worth installing things from the Microsoft store? I've never even bothered opening it, does it have better versions of anything? Applications that update themselves automatically even if you don't open them, so it acts like a package manager?

They will update automatically if you ask them to. It's basically the Android/iOS store in terms of features with way fewer apps. One of its upsides is having actual Windows games you can buy on there - which might be able to be used on Xbox at some point for the single purchase price, too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Arsten posted:

It's basically the Android/iOS store in terms of features with way fewer apps.

Yeah that's what I was worried about. If it were like Ninite with updating, where you could just click 'install' on all the stuff you generally use (or most of it) and have it stay up to date, that would be real nice - especially for people who don't want to mess around with computers. What happened to Windows getting a package manager anyway?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The store is how you install extensions for Edge, so there is that use for it.

Edit: Windows has an API that package managers can plug in to so that Powershell commands can find packages. Chocolatey can use that API.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 6, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Chocolatey is poo poo garbage for nerds who don't want to use Linux properly. They do no sanitation at all on what they pull down from sources, so if something you have it updating gets hit by malware Chocolatey will pull it down and install it for you.
This happened this week with the Classic shell issue.

Stick to ninite.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well I mean more as a basic core feature, so if a person wants to use thing they just press the THINGS icon and then click GET THING. I assume that's down the line somewhere, but it would help a lot. A nice trusted applications portal that doesn't throw malware at you and keeps your poo poo updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

baka kaba posted:

It's useful for getting desktop notifications for things like Facebook if you log in, and Weather is an obvious one that's quicker to click than going to your browser. I also do podcasts and IRC through UWPs, because they're simple enough use cases that they're much slicker to install and run than desktop apps.