Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Revitalized posted:

Speaking of SERO...

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241532

Is this the end of SERO Premium 500 as we know it!?
I thought they would refuse to reup my contract everytime I get a new iphone, but it hasn't happened yet. One time I feel good about a 24 month contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wow, and I just switched to Fi yesterday. Guess I didn't have to worry about selling off my SERO after all.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So it may just be the killing off of SERO 500 to Sero Unlimited which isn't completely crap, however as I have never used over the 500 minute bucket it would be $10 I don't care to shell out (and a reason why I dropped the device coverage to bring it down to an even $55 or so.)

Still kinda crappy of them to force this, I wonder if they are calling SERO support directly or one of the other support numbers that end up with people that screw up any changes they make to a SERO account anyway.

No way I can go to Google Fi. My LTE usage has been hitting up to 50G or so a month at times which would break me anywhere else.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 5, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think they are sneakily trying to get people to leave SERO 500 early by offering the lease/upgrade deals. They tried to offer me an upgrade on my phone and I was excited because my 24 month isn't November. We'll see what happens then.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Speaking of SERO...

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241532

Is this the end of SERO Premium 500 as we know it!?

Oh man, I hope this isn't true! I'm about to order a new phone with 2yr contract.
Would you only find this out one you pay, get the phone, then try to activate?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have a big post script to the story. Everything looked good until I got my first bill which had my wife on the regular Sprint unlimited plan. I didn't pay and went back to the same corporate store I originally went to. They had record on my original sale that the agent called in for authorization and was told yes for SERO 500 so they went to bat for me to get things changed to 500.

However, corporate refused to budge on the 500 but instead offered to convert the second line to SERO unlimited and both corporate and the store gave me some account credits to both normalize the now inflated bill and for all the hassle.

I wasn't thinking I was going to get SERO anything before porting my wife over so I am fine with this.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dameius posted:

I have a big post script to the story. Everything looked good until I got my first bill which had my wife on the regular Sprint unlimited plan. I didn't pay and went back to the same corporate store I originally went to. They had record on my original sale that the agent called in for authorization and was told yes for SERO 500 so they went to bat for me to get things changed to 500.

However, corporate refused to budge on the 500 but instead offered to convert the second line to SERO unlimited and both corporate and the store gave me some account credits to both normalize the now inflated bill and for all the hassle.

I wasn't thinking I was going to get SERO anything before porting my wife over so I am fine with this.

Well, that kind of sucks but it's not the worst that could have happened I guess. Can you clarify whether the SERO Unlimited is $60 total/mo. or $70 ($60 + $10 data)? I think that's what a lot of people were unclear about.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Well, that kind of sucks but it's not the worst that could have happened I guess. Can you clarify whether the SERO Unlimited is $60 total/mo. or $70 ($60 + $10 data)? I think that's what a lot of people were unclear about.

Reddit has some more details. The new plan would be $60 total. Its taking the $40+10, combining it (no more '+$10'), and adding another $10, making it $60.

Though still waiting to hear more stories if its definitely everyone, only in certain situations, or you can get around it if you stay online, etc.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Wow, and I just switched to Fi yesterday. Guess I didn't have to worry about selling off my SERO after all.

How long did it take your primary line of service on Sprint to transfer to Fi? I transferred 3 lines today, my wife's, my mother's and mine. Their numbers ported almost immediately, but it's been a few hours and mine hasn't ported yet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Only a couple of minutes for me.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
10 minutes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
A few minutes for mine.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Glad I have another 13 months on my contract. I'm on a Note5 and will hang onto that until I can't any longer... but if SERO is really dead, congrats on losing my $, Sprint.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I have a Note 4 from Sprint and I noticed it has a SIM card in it. I totally never kept up with the times and I thought Sprint phones didn't have them because of... CDMA or something?

Can I swap it out if I go overseas?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LTE uses SIM cards. I've swapped mine out overseas before, used it for data and made calls via Skype.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Revitalized posted:

So I have a Note 4 from Sprint and I noticed it has a SIM card in it. I totally never kept up with the times and I thought Sprint phones didn't have them because of... CDMA or something?

Can I swap it out if I go overseas?

You have to call sprint and make sure it is unlocked.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

You have to call sprint and make sure it is unlocked.

Then call them again a week later to confirm it was unlocked.

Then again a week after that.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Sprint marketing emails :effort:

(especially since I have no relationship with Sprint on this email address)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
So, my LG G3 is getting crappier by the day and I'd like a new phone. I go check my options, but what's this? Sprint is forcing me to move off of SERO? Or at least jacking up the price again ($60 a month now, before taxes).

I'm relatively happy with Sprint, I've stuck with them for around 10yrs at this point. I never worry about how much data I'm using, and it's comparatively cheap. Sure, there are several places where I get terrible to no signal rendering the phone mostly useless, but I can usually find some WiFi.

Looking at my bills over the last year, I average around 3 gigs of data a month. Is there a compelling reason to look into Google Fi? I don't think I'll save much money, new SERO is only $10 more per month considering my usage, and I'm not totally sold on the current Nexus phones.

Fi, on the other hand, does sound fantastic. I already know what Sprint's coverage is like and T-Mobile is supposed to be pretty good around here. US Cellular, no clue. Some months I should get money back, some months I'll pay extra.

Basically, SERO has been pretty good for me and right now I prefer the phone options for Sprint. What downsides am I missing about Fi? Why will I kick myself for locking in to Sprint for another 2 years?

vwman18 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 16, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

vwman18 posted:

So, my LG G3 is getting crappier by the day and I'd like a new phone. I go check my options, but what's this? Sprint is forcing me to move off of SERO? Or at least jacking up the price again ($60 a month now, before taxes).

I'm relatively happy with Sprint, I've stuck with them for around 10yrs at this point. I never worry about how much data I'm using, and it's comparatively cheap. Sure, there are several places where I get terrible to no signal rendering the phone mostly useless, but I can usually find some WiFi.

Looking at my bills over the last year, I average around 3 gigs of data a month. Is there a compelling reason to look into Google Fi? I don't think I'll save much money, new SERO is only $10 more per month considering my usage, and I'm not totally sold on the current Nexus phones.

Fi, on the other hand, does sound fantastic. I already know what Sprint's coverage is like and T-Mobile is supposed to be pretty good around here. US Cellular, no clue. Some months I should get money back, some months I'll pay extra.

Basically, SERO has been pretty good for me and right now I prefer the phone options for Sprint. What downsides am I missing about Fi? Why will I kick myself for locking in to Sprint for another 2 years?

Sprint's network is so lovely that your data will go up on Fi because you can actually do the things you've been trying to do.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong

toplitzin posted:

Sprint's network is so lovely that your data will go up on Fi because you can actually do the things you've been trying to do.

That's not great news. I have zero willpower, so my 3 gigs would likely go up to 6 gigs a month. So much for saving money.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vwman18 posted:

That's not great news. I have zero willpower, so my 3 gigs would likely go up to 6 gigs a month. So much for saving money.

So your argument is "sprint has lovely coverage so it prevents me from using data. Signing onto wifi is hard."

I get wanting a cheap plan, but you should get decent value for what you pay for. Sprint doesn't give you a good value. Look at Fi, T-Mobile, or cricket. Sprint has been claiming their network has been fixed for 5+ years now, it isn't getting fixed.

And this is where Ed comes in and defends sprint coverage.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

toplitzin posted:

I just switched my family to Fi from Sprint and this exact thing happened. My mom never came close to using a gig of data on Sprint. We've been on Fi for about 10 days and she's already used 1.5 gigs. While there are a few factors that contribute to her spike in data usage the network(s) being able to support her usage plays a big role.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Both my wife and I are using about double the data on Fi as we were on Sprint. I don't think it's entirely better service causing the increased usage (although... the service is *way* better), there has to be something about the calculation of data used as well. I'm just not really doing anything with my phone now that I wasn't 3 months ago, and I'm using 2x the data.

That said, the T*Mo service is way better than Sprint. I'm considering dumping Fi to go to T*Mo.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

So your argument is "sprint has lovely coverage so it prevents me from using data. Signing onto wifi is hard."

I get wanting a cheap plan, but you should get decent value for what you pay for. Sprint doesn't give you a good value. Look at Fi, T-Mobile, or cricket. Sprint has been claiming their network has been fixed for 5+ years now, it isn't getting fixed.

And this is where Ed comes in and defends sprint coverage.

Coverage smoverage. I will say that the Verizon LTE everywhere BS is easily mostly marketing as side by side, where I may be in Sprint's 3G while one of the Verizon Phones in the family is LTE, however the Verizon LTE is slow as molassas while Sprints 3G has improved to the point that I can get 1.5-3 Mbit reliably with it these days. Very rarely do I see faster Verizon Speeds than Sprint speeds, but I live and hang around Sacramento and other parts of Nor Cal so I can't really comment about other states coverage right now.

Do they cover everywhere, hell no. But to say they haven't actually gotten better in the last year in my area at least, would be a blatant lie.

Also the reason I can never go to Google Fi (Resets on the 4th of the month).

And .5G of 3G as well.

Also some of us still have/live in lovely Wifi locations for Home/Work. My Home now has 12Mbit Wireless which is a huge improvement over the old days, but still can be eaten up by 1 or more PC's doing downloads when I am home. And my work doesn't have WiFi worth a drat (and its quite ironic being where I work.) but I have fantastic 4G right across the street that gets me 40+-Mbit all day long.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 17, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So it looks like T-Mobile and Sprint are slugging it out in the Unlimited Data arena today.

T-Mobile now has a single $70 "Unlimited" Data plan. (Probably paired with a ton of the downsampling they do on their video streams and such.)

Sprint now is $60 for Unlimited Data (Haven't seen what the fine print has on either to know how "unlimited" they are though).

What I wonder is why the hell is SERO getting bumped up to $60 then if their standard plans now are the same price? What is the point of being on an Employee Referral plan then if it isn't going to save any money?

Has anyone that got "forced" to the $60 Unlimited calling SERO plan from the 500 minute one gotten through to retentions to see about keeping their 500Minute plan or at least getting the price to remain $50 to give SERO a reason to still exist?

Not like I am changing still, but it makes you wonder why they changed the SERO plans at all since so few people have got to still be on them anyway. :/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=12286

They're doing the same "optimization" thing that T-mobile already does. I don't see an indication that they'll offer an option to pay more to turn this feature off. It would apply to all streaming video, gaming, and music.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does that apply to all plans, or to just those that sign up under the new "Unlimited" terms?

I can still swap around YouTube and such from 240P to 1080P and it plays normally for all. Them saying that most users cannot see the difference between 480P and 1080P are freaking lies unless those users are on sub 720P screens or old people that don't know the difference between SD and HD still (like my parents always say, until I show them the side by side.. Ugh).

If SERO is exempt then that is a good enough reason to keep on it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Guessing that they are moving their employees to an actual internal employees only plan, and everyone on SERO is getting bumped/forced to equivalent to plans that are equivalent to ones open to the public.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Update on that "optimization" thing and paying more to turn it off:

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/Sprint-Launches-Unlimited-Freedom/0db2c4e7-3a6a-4d46-9dff-84cd6c402527

quote:

Are there any special offers available with the Unlimited Freedom plan?

Yes. Sign up for the Unlimited Freedom plan now, and you’ll enjoy premium resolution streaming video, gaming and music for FREE as a special benefit through 10/31/16. Afterwards, you can choose to keep premium resolution streaming for an additional monthly charge or receive mobile-optimized streaming services.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

EdEddnEddy posted:

Not like I am changing still, but it makes you wonder why they changed the SERO plans at all since so few people have got to still be on them anyway. :/

They didn't really change the plans, they just bumped the 1200 plan which was $10 more to unlimited. I started on that plan like 10 years ago, and at some point dropped to the 500 minute plan.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my wife and I are on (separate) SERO 500 plans and will probably upgrade to the iPhone 7 when it comes out. With this new development of them moving people off SERO 500, are we better off just switching to Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T and getting a share plan? We're paying like $70/mo. or so right now x2. So $140 and plus whatever extra they're going to charge us for SERO Unlimited. (Is it $10 per line or $20?)

Neither one of us uses that much data since we use wifi both at home and at work. The most I've used in the past year+ is 4.1GB and her's is more like 2.5GB.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

So my wife and I are on (separate) SERO 500 plans and will probably upgrade to the iPhone 7 when it comes out. With this new development of them moving people off SERO 500, are we better off just switching to Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T and getting a share plan? We're paying like $70/mo. or so right now x2. So $140 and plus whatever extra they're going to charge us for SERO Unlimited. (Is it $10 per line or $20?)

Neither one of us uses that much data since we use wifi both at home and at work. The most I've used in the past year+ is 4.1GB and her's is more like 2.5GB.

The Verizon one is $70 + $20 + $20 = $110 for you, then add in phone price. ATT is similar.

Cricket is probably a bit cheaper, so compare cricket to the above plan and see what you want to do. Might as well get a bit more coverage vs the new T-Mobile plans.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LorneReams posted:

They didn't really change the plans, they just bumped the 1200 plan which was $10 more to unlimited. I started on that plan like 10 years ago, and at some point dropped to the 500 minute plan.

Also looking closer at the writing, it does seem the new "Unlimited Data" plans do have the special "Optimized" Video and other media bits cooked into the details for that plan Specifically.

So That gives the SERO plans a leg up as long as you hold onto it over the new plans.

I wonder if we will ever get to a time where all the carriers will just have near unlimited data/bandwidth and not have to deal with this throttling/optimization BS down the line.

Hell if anything, just cap LTE Speeds at something that makes sense like 20Mbit or so for every device and be done with it. I hate how they market as the "Fastest LTE Carrier!" that you sure can get 60-100Mbit 4G in that one spot of town where you have access to 3 towers simultaneously so you can cap out your 4G Data Cap for the month in 10 seconds. What the hell is the point?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also looking closer at the writing, it does seem the new "Unlimited Data" plans do have the special "Optimized" Video and other media bits cooked into the details for that plan Specifically.

So That gives the SERO plans a leg up as long as you hold onto it over the new plans.

I wonder if we will ever get to a time where all the carriers will just have near unlimited data/bandwidth and not have to deal with this throttling/optimization BS down the line.

Hell if anything, just cap LTE Speeds at something that makes sense like 20Mbit or so for every device and be done with it. I hate how they market as the "Fastest LTE Carrier!" that you sure can get 60-100Mbit 4G in that one spot of town where you have access to 3 towers simultaneously so you can cap out your 4G Data Cap for the month in 10 seconds. What the hell is the point?

For cellular network management, throttlingoptimization makes more sense than arbitrary data caps given that spectrum bandwidth is a finite resource. In my opinion it shouldn't be implemented across the board; rather, applying optimization to cell sites based on current load would be a more consumer-friendly way to manage the network. Sprint and others already apply this sort of prioritization to unlimited data users once they exceed an arbitrary data cap (23 gigs or so?), so it's not like it's a new concept.

nimper fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 22, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's what I don't get, rather than just Throttling down to a near useless 2G speed, can't the carriers just drop 4G down to a speed that makes sense for a mobile device (6Mbit-12Mbit would be fine for 1080P streaming and most anything else high bandwidth that a user may do on a device wouldn't it? Hell even for tethering that would be fine) instead of just throttling specific users after they go over a certain data cap.

Home/Business ISP's have been doing this for years before this new Data Cap craze has become a thing, (and even with it), but why can't carriers just cap speeds to something reasonable and allow everyone to use as much as they want tower depending?

I know the wireless Internet world is a bit different than the wired land, but with Wireless Internet becoming more of a thing (with Microwave AP's) and Cell service finally getting the back haul to handle 4G for all the carriers, you would think we could get to a time where using over 1G on a mobile device isn't some rare occurrence for 90% of users nowadays since you are paying roughly the same for your cell service as your are for your home WiFi, why shouldn't you be able to use/expect roughly as much data freedom?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

That's what I don't get, rather than just Throttling down to a near useless 2G speed, can't the carriers just drop 4G down to a speed that makes sense for a mobile device (6Mbit-12Mbit would be fine for 1080P streaming and most anything else high bandwidth that a user may do on a device wouldn't it? Hell even for tethering that would be fine) instead of just throttling specific users after they go over a certain data cap.

Home/Business ISP's have been doing this for years before this new Data Cap craze has become a thing, (and even with it), but why can't carriers just cap speeds to something reasonable and allow everyone to use as much as they want tower depending?

I know the wireless Internet world is a bit different than the wired land, but with Wireless Internet becoming more of a thing (with Microwave AP's) and Cell service finally getting the back haul to handle 4G for all the carriers, you would think we could get to a time where using over 1G on a mobile device isn't some rare occurrence for 90% of users nowadays since you are paying roughly the same for your cell service as your are for your home WiFi, why shouldn't you be able to use/expect roughly as much data freedom?
Because that would be waaaaay to smart and leave waaaaay too many :10bux: on the floor.

But it's a very reasonable way to think about it from a consumer's point of view.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Because that would be waaaaay to smart and leave waaaaay too many :10bux: on the floor.

But it's a very reasonable way to think about it from a consumer's point of view.

Explaining this to customers would be a nightmare. Numbers of "you get 10Gb" or whatever is a lot easier, especially now that it's pretty standard.

And more money, yes.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the $ obviously, but I don't get how telling any "dumb customer" that they have #GB vs You have #Mb speed which allows you to watch/download this Quality/Fast in Seconds is easier to understand.

Setting the download limits on the customer who can barely figure out how to use Wifi over Cellular data (my parents, aunts, other family for the most part as an example.) vs Just letting them use Cellular at 10mbit unlimited, and if they want faster (if faster Wifi is available) they can swap to that to save power/time on their device.

But alas, that would make sense and not be as much $$$ (though it could be more $$$ in subscribers if a carrier just did this and had great service as their main focus... Funny that.

It continues to be the reason I hold onto SERO. Unlimited unthrottled data for a reasonable price compared to pretty much anything else around. Until I get something better than 12Mbit at home or a job with actually good WiFi not held behind some restrictive Proxy or something. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
my friend is still on sero 500 (40+10). if he buys a Nexus can he activate it and keep his plan? I can't figure out this sero change stuff on this page. does the $15 loyalty discount stack?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 24, 2016