Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Davidson is really solid and I was surprised he lasted this long

He's actually the one I coin flipped with Van Riemsdyk and lost..... given the commentary, I should have picked heads. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
josh morrissey

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Oh poo poo its a good thing I checked this before going to work. Picking in a hurry so, uh, the Flames will take one Marcus Kruger because he is a good bottom 6 guy on a good contract.

e: tofes is up

I need someone else to verify this, because everything I've seen shows him getting worse and worse as the seasons go on, and $3 million is a lot for a guy who scored 4 points in 41 games, shut down center or not.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Menamino has until 6:36
JoelJoel and Yaya up next

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Jordie "the other benn" Benn because while he's not very good, he apparently at least suppresses shots well and that's good enough for me with how few decent defenders are left

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hmm, Morrissey was going to pair up with Davidson on my third pair. Oh well.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
JoelJoel was skipped as of 20 minutes ago so I'll take Nikita Tryamkin as my 6th defenseman. One of the concerns about him from the 13 games he played last season was him getting gassed during longer shifts, and he reportedly was getting married in Russia this offseason, then immediately coming back to Vancouver to train, so I'm hoping those concerns will be a thing of the past.

Also he's 6'8", and you can't
teach
that

Teemu Pokemon is up

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ehh, hairy Benn, though bad, isn't as awful as some in DAS seem to think. Just never let him anywhere near the top four as he tends to get lit the gently caress up when good players are on the ice against him.

Dallas Stars select Nick Holden. From my very limited viewing of him in Colorado he's a good shutdown guy and plays far more min that I though (~22 a night last season). He can block shots and play on the PK. With injuries he can slot up if necessary. He's signed for a couple more years at a p low cap him and at 29 he's likely got a good 2-5 years left of decent bottom pairing minutes in him.

Provided Roy isn't my coach I can't seem him doing anything but improving.

E:

Benn - Krejci - Stone
Johansson - Zabinejad -Palmeri
X _ Colburne - Hudler
X -Flippula - Backes

Ellis - Ekholm
Edmundson - Phaneuf
Holden

Varlamov

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 6, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Sharks Will Take Carter Hutton I Guess Because LOL The Remaining Goalies

Jaskin - Crosby - Nyquist
Kreider - Larkin - Sharp
Zucker - Nelson - Brown
xxx - Shore - xxx

McDonagh - Martinez
Pouliot - Garrison
xxx - Pesce

Hutton

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Lucic - Matthews - Niedereitter
Wennberg - O'Reilly - Stafford
Abdelkader - Sheehan - Soshnikov

Trouba - Shattenkirk
Beaulieu - Kindl
Nurse - McQuaid

Vasilevsky

It's a team, I guess.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Lucic - Matthews - Niedereitter
Wennberg - O'Reilly - Stafford
Abdelkader - Sheehan - Soshnikov

Trouba - Shattenkirk
Beaulieu - Kindl
Nurse - McQuaid

Vasilevsky

It's a team, I guess.

It's a step up for O'Reilly at least, because that's a better team than Buffalo. Seems like a waste to have Trouba and Shattenkirk as a pair but your defense kinda falls apart after that. I'd think breaking them up and spreading out the talent would work out better for you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nick Holden, shutdown defenseman :lol: He has the second-highest Fenwick against/60 of defensemen who played more than 1000 minutes in the last two seasons, behind only Ristolainen. Next you're going to tell me that Marcus Kruger has a good contract.

Incidentally, Davidson and Benn are pretty good in that regard.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kruger is a great contract though? He has done a good job dragging some literal poo poo around the ice while making mostly d zone starts against tough comp. The only legitimate worry is if he can stay healthy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Kruger is a great contract though? He has done a good job dragging some literal poo poo around the ice while making mostly d zone starts against tough comp. The only legitimate worry is if he can stay healthy.

Once again, $3 million for 4 points. Zero goals all season. He got outscored by Tanner Glass last season, and it's not like he set the world on fire the year before either. He's got a lot to prove next season.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Who the gently caress is Brandon Davidson

What team does he even play for

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest indictment of Roy as a coach is that Holden played so many minutes. He is loving atrocious and totally incapable of making good decisions with the puck. He has skill but zero hockey sense.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Technetium posted:

Who the gently caress is Brandon Davidson

What team does he even play for

Oilers

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Who?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm totally gonna corner the market on guys named Joonas by selecting goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

He looked really good filling in for Bob last year and totally deserves a more extended shot at the NHL level, so he'll be a nice backup.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

eXXon posted:

Nick Holden, shutdown defenseman :lol: He has the second-highest Fenwick against/60 of defensemen who played more than 1000 minutes in the last two seasons, behind only Ristolainen. Next you're going to tell me that Marcus Kruger has a good contract.

What, you want him to score goals?

E: plenty of good third pairing guys that would look like garbage on the top line of a team coached by rwah.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm totally gonna corner the market on guys named Joonas by selecting goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

He looked really good filling in for Bob last year and totally deserves a more extended shot at the NHL level, so he'll be a nice backup.

Dang, I was gonna take him as my backup with my next pick.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

What, you want him to score goals?

E: plenty of good third pairing guys that would look like garbage on the top line of a team coached by rwah.

No I'm saying that it's weird to say a player is a good shutdown D when his defensive metrics are close to worst in the league. Just like some random Rangers fans said he has good fancystats after they traded for him when in fact they're absolute garbage. I've also been noticing a trend of one-line posts on hockey forums saying some random player seems to have good fancystats with no further explanation, even when they're average at best.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

eXXon posted:

yeah that was the logic behind my pick of Benn, he's not going to drive offense or be a great player, but he does seem to at least do one thing decently well and that's suppress shots against. I'll probably have to unfortunately play him on my 2nd pairing but at least he brings something to the table.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Benn might not even make the starting roster for Dallas this year, though.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Yaya posted:

Dang, I was gonna take him as my backup with my next pick.

Same :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

No I'm saying that it's weird to say a player is a good shutdown D when his defensive metrics are close to worst in the league. Just like some random Rangers fans said he has good fancystats after they traded for him when in fact they're absolute garbage. I've also been noticing a trend of one-line posts on hockey forums saying some random player seems to have good fancystats with no further explanation, even when they're average at best.

It clearly says he's a top four shutdown D what more do you want?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am the bird is up until noon, then we get VJeff x2 and loop back around

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I believe that one of the better goalies who's left , and at a decent cap hit is Scott Darling. So I will pick him and pretend like he's got a $2MM cap hit and Hank has a reasonable one.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Same

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
uh, Andrew Hammond I guess to keep this shitboat afloat until Samsonov comes over?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I had him picked but went with Darling at the last minute.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Otis Reddit posted:

I had him picked but went with Darling at the last minute.

Looking at some of his stats, he's better than I had assumed. That insane run obviously set up absurd expectations that he'll never live up to, but he's still solid on a team with a defense of Karlsson and five other dudes whose names I'll never know.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

Looking at some of his stats, he's better than I had assumed. That insane run obviously set up absurd expectations that he'll never live up to, but he's still solid on a team with a defense of Karlsson and five other dudes whose names I'll never know.

His 5v5 sv% this year was just as good as last year in as many minutes. It's really surprising, because when you watch him he's a mess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'll grab G - Robin Lehner and LW - Daniel Winnik because the five minutes of research I did yesterday suggest he's a good third liner and PKer.

Ovechkin-Toffoli-Wheeler
Raffl-Dubinsky-Purcell
Winnik-Helm-
Paajarvi-

Goligoski-Orlov
Savard-Scandella
Gelinas

Rinne
Lehner

Coach: Quennville

MJeff fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 6, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I haven't had time to look at depth players so I'll make my coach pick and hopefully remember to do research before it get backs to me.

Dave Tippett -- still a good coach, often underrated, would develop the young guys well while instituting a strong team defense to cover some of the... weaknesses.

Drouin - McDavid - Silfverberg
Zetterberg - Nielsen - Draisatl
xxx - Faksa -- Maroon

Muzzin - Niskanen
K. Miller - Braun
xxx - C. Miller

Hamburglar
Lu
Samsonov

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think dave tippett is the poo poo and i wanted to take him so now i'm sad

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Although he likely won't see NHL time this season, Travis Sanheim is too loving talented to pass up here. I'm guessing he's good enough that he could be a third pairing guy right now, but letting him develop in the AHL wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either. Where he lands all depends on who's available for me down the road.

Eriksson - Stamkos - R. Smith
Fiala - Trocheck - Donskoi
Arvidsson - Grigorenko - Read

Barrie - Klefbom
C. Murphy - R. Murray
Petrovic - Sanheim (tentative)

Andersen
Korpisalo

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 6, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
My two NHL goalies are both obviously going to be dogshit back-ups, so I'm going to grab my goalie of the future now in Thatcher Demko and worry later about who will be the other half of my mediocre tandem.

Jaskin - Crosby - Nyquist
Kreider - Larkin - Sharp
Zucker - Nelson - Brown
xxx - Shore - xxx

McDonagh - Martinez
Pouliot - Garrison
xxx - Pesce

Hutton
(Demko)

Yaya until 4:19pm EDT
JoelJoel
Menamino

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I am distraught and to punish you all for taking the backup goalies I wanted away from me, the Nega-Oilers are going all the way on the Defense First mindset and taking Jacques Lemaire as our coach.

Praise be to the 1-0 win.

• Locked thread