Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The problem with the Bain case is that it is basically judging the capability and recollection of a small-town NZ police force who stumbled across a mass murder scene 15 years ago and had no idea what the gently caress they were doing.
Contrast that with the lawyers on Bain's side who have spent that entire time going through everything over and over and then get the same initial witnesses up on the stand and ask them questions about something they have hopefully managed to put out of their minds years ago, and hammering them when they fail to give consistent answers.

<rant>
This isn't the Syed or Avery cases where every bit of evidence produced by the police (or none, as is the case with Syed) is questionable as gently caress - this is a case where the only evidence that *doesn't* point to the person convicted is a note written on a computer. And I'm sure if someone could give me an image of the hard drive that was in it, it'd show that he forged that drat note himself and ... I'll stop there.
</rant>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There is also the fact that a few witnesses for the prosecution passed away between the two trials. There testimony was not allowed in the second. Also some of the physical evidence was not able to be presented at the second trial as the original item had been lost or destroyed. This meant the defence could not get their own independent tests conducted on the item so the results of the initial tests were withheld. Add in some poor memory and record keeping and you have reasonable doubt for the accused.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Slavvy posted:

The lawyer fella in this thread will chime in soon I'm sure but acquitted=/=innocent in a legal sense.

Law Dr from my FB posted:

Any work for applied Bainologists has now pretty much dried up. As always, there is still a healthy interest in theoretical Bainology, however.

Honestly I don't know what to say other than early on reading into the case I pretty much made a conscious decision to block it all out. It became such a deep rabbit hole the further people went they became deeply invested in it ("Bainology"). When we did our criminal plea of mitigation practice at the Dunedin High Court (before the main hall had to be closed for earthquake strengthening) our prof pointed out we were sitting on the jury bench where those that decided the Bain case sat. That was pretty funky/eery. Living in Dunedin as student you didn't have to even chat very far into meeting people who were locals to hear such intense views about it.

I only just wonder whether Bain is a threat to society anymore. I dont think he is. So if he can't be proven guilty BRD, he may as well be out, and this chapter may have done something to serve as a lesson for the NZ Police for the future.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Shooting your father in the head and then immediately contacting the police seem somewhat... disconnected.

Not immediately. First you put your blood-soaked clothes in the washing machine and then arrange your dad's murder scene to look like a suicide. Oh, and you write a note implicating him in the massacre.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Mods please update the poll so moo cow can rightfully vote as "farm owner"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What the Christ, only 1 in 5 of us actually owns the place we live in.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Very few goons over the age of 50 / fell out of the limited number of lucky vaginas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Is my sarcasm detector broken or are you genuinely surprised at this?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
wtf are you talking about: homeowners are stupid peaces of poo poo

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Interesting, the poll didn't show up in Awful.app so I had to log in with a web browser to participate and add another one to the Bourgeoisie collective of land owning gentlemen.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

WarpedNaba posted:

Less, I voted piece of poo poo but i also don't own a house

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Is my sarcasm detector broken or are you genuinely surprised at this?

I knew it was bad, but it turns out it's bad.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

Less, I voted piece of poo poo but i also don't own a house

I too am a piece of poo poo that pays rent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I knew it was bad, but it turns out it's bad.

Ok now I'm pretty sure I have autism because I still can't tell.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

i didn't vote at all, but im still gonna complain about the outcome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflecopper posted:

Does stuff even do editing before they put articles up? Usually they seem to be first drafts that haven't even been proofread/fact checked.

I've been spending a bit of time with a person who edits on stuff. I'm consistently (usually pleasantly) surprised by a lot of what seems to go on behind the scenes.

They seem to be really good at respecting her home-life balance :welp:

She's wicked 2 cool and I am unable to form personal opinions so

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Ok now I'm pretty sure I have autism because I still can't tell.

I knew it was bad but it was worse than I thought.

What exactly does stupid piece of poo poo entail? Living with parents?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A stupid piece of poo poo is someone who clicks the option to say they are a stupid piece of poo poo.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bobbilljim posted:

Mods please update the poll so moo cow can rightfully vote as "farm owner"

:confused:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

A stupid piece of poo poo is someone who clicks the option to say they are a stupid piece of poo poo.
poo poo he got me

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Celia eh

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

P. sure I voted piece of poo poo. I don't own, but rent. Paying some kind of property owner rent money is enabling them to be pieces of poo poo so...

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
renter giving half my paycheque to some loving parasite.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Living off the sweet succour of my mortgage-ridden parents. Aka peace of poo poo

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Looks like we're getting ol' Nicola.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Looks like we're getting ol' Nicola.

I dunno, Lester is p high profile and may well be viewed as Celia's successor now. Young is high profile too, but a ton of that is negative.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chalupa Joe posted:

renter giving half my paycheque to some loving parasite.

mate when ya see a step on that ladder you take it

honestly though I think we should get rid of our investment property. its bogus

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I can't view or partake in polls on awful.app but I want it to be known that I do not own property.

The trust does.

:colbert:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Voted for renter, but I'm also a stupid piece of poo poo because I didn't buy property in Auckland five years ago.

e: Feel even more stupid now that the wife and I are seriously considering moving in with parents for a couple years so we can increase the deposit fund faster.

Xik fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 5, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

cool

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/82670909/former-new-plymouth-councillor-john-horse-mcleods-battle-plan-over-maori-wards

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thank god he died on the hill of No Maori Wards so that he could champion a fight for Maori representation in local government.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:byodood: one nation :byodood:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

I can't believe there were 9 seasons of Treasure Island

quote:

5. Treasure Island: Extreme was hosted by model Jacqui Rickards and was more "extreme" than past Treasure Islands pitting ex-police, SAS, armed forces and soldiers against each other with no food, water or shelter at all. The winner of this season was John "Horse" McLeod. Notably, when the SAS contestant Baz Rice was eliminated from the game he refused to leave and instead hid in the jungle. Because of previous threats made to rival contestants, a security warning was issued to other competitors. He eventually returned from the jungle and left the island.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Red_Museum posted:

I can't believe there were 9 seasons of Treasure Island

Big Brother has been going for 17 years.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So HC is basically out of contention for secretary general. I've heard that the US doesn't want her, possibly because of her involvement in Lange's cabinet. I guess international politics doesn't have the depressingly short memory span of domestic politics?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the blazes was that anti-fluoride ad on TV?!?

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

oohhboy posted:

What the blazes was that anti-fluoride ad on TV?!?

DEADLY TOXINS IN OUR DRINKING WATER.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Terrestrial TV viewers lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Oh well she'll get 'im next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco