Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone have a favorite game mat for infinity? Preferably one that encourages proper building placement for those who are new and terrible at that sort of thing? But not so set in stone that every game feels the same.

As a general rule, we don't use game mats (aside from basic green or tan), preferring to just set up terrain however it looks/feels right.

EDIT: but here's something that will help with building placement - try to get most of your buildings in the middle 2 feet of the board (i.e. not so much in the deployment zones). Also, try not to make it too symmetric, such that deployment order or turn order is meaningful.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I like to have the "grid" of streets and such at a 45 degree angle so your fire lanes don't go straight across. I also try to break them up so there's not huge channels going edge to edge on the ground.

The most fun tactic shooty layouts I've played were where instead of a "bowl" where all the tall buildings are on the rear edge, play with the tall ones in the middle, making a "wall", keeps sniper/TR-ARO overwatch limited to your half of the table (especially when combined with 45*) and allows ground troops to get out there and shake things up.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
You can also make an L-shape along two edges with a lot of cover and one L-shape on the opposite side with longer fire lanes. Gives both types of models some good areas to use insteaf of either/or.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

PirateDentist posted:

I like to have the "grid" of streets and such at a 45 degree angle so your fire lanes don't go straight across. I also try to break them up so there's not huge channels going edge to edge on the ground.

The most fun tactic shooty layouts I've played were where instead of a "bowl" where all the tall buildings are on the rear edge, play with the tall ones in the middle, making a "wall", keeps sniper/TR-ARO overwatch limited to your half of the table (especially when combined with 45*) and allows ground troops to get out there and shake things up.

I don't really agree with any of this. It's not like AROs need to be made any worse. Nothing wrong with defense units and tall builds on the edge. All the objectives are in the middle. A lot of units would be unplayable in setup you describe.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

In YJ, I've read that the celestial guard hacker is best, but I was wondering why that is. I know it has a higher WIP and BTS than the keisotsu or zhanshi. But all the hacking programs I want to use to support my REMs and HI don't require a WIP roll anyway. So why should I pay the extra points? For defence vs other hackers? I'm sure a nearby kuang shi would do the same thing and its almost covered by the cost between a keisotsu and a cg hacker.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The higher WIP makes them better at accomplishing objectives. If you're using them strictly for buffing, it's less important to pay the extra points for more WIP.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

What is the purpose of having Surprise Attack as a skill when you can't be in a marker state?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Mugaaz posted:

I don't really agree with any of this. It's not like AROs need to be made any worse. Nothing wrong with defense units and tall builds on the edge. All the objectives are in the middle. A lot of units would be unplayable in setup you describe.

And a lot of units that otherwise never get used finally got some action as well. I've played that setup like twice ever, it's just another variation you can try out.

Hell, last fun tournament I parked a Maggie on a rooftop and used it like a giant stationary turret. Is that the best way to use it? Not really, but it was fun.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Not a viking posted:

What is the purpose of having Surprise Attack as a skill when you can't be in a marker state?

Which unit has Surprise Attack without Holo, HD+, Impersonation or some level of Camo?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

PirateDentist posted:

And a lot of units that otherwise never get used finally got some action as well. I've played that setup like twice ever, it's just another variation you can try out.

Hell, last fun tournament I parked a Maggie on a rooftop and used it like a giant stationary turret. Is that the best way to use it? Not really, but it was fun.

What units that don't get used normally get used in your scenario? Only thing that comes to mind for me are some of the worse pure CC guys maybe?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
If two units with stealth and hacking devices are in each others ZoC but out of LoS, can they hack each other?

Say a Ninja reveals on the last turn to grab an objective. They are in the ZoC of Defersen and his link team, but the link team doesn't have LoS to the Ninja. Does De Fersen get an ARO?

Now say that the sneaky Ninja grabbed the objective at the bottom of turn three with the players last order and is not facing in the correct direction. De Fersen (or some other Hacker with stealth) comes around the corner to try and take the objective back on his active turn. Can the Ninja declare a hacking ARO against the stealth hacker without having line of sight to them?

I feel like stealth and hacking devices make certain units very powerful against other ones. But in the very few cases that this is likely to occur (incidentally something highly likely to occur on my table in the future), it's not super clear to me what should happen.

I'm working on my JSA collection and my main opponent at the moment plays Military Orders. The amount of models that will have some level of Martial Arts and therefore stealth is making me think about all the potential ARO problems we might run in to. As it stands I play Ariadna, so a lot of my units have stealth. I just haven't had to add hacking into the equation because so many of my guys are unhackable and I have poor access to hacking devices.

Side question: I'm looking to get scatter terrain for my table. I've got a health mix of foam core and MDF terrain I'm painting up to slowly replace my operation icestorm stuff. Any recommendations for good scatter terrain? I'm in Canada. :canada:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
If the Ninja reveals in his ZoC, DeFersen gets an ARO because revealing counts for the entire order. Also, if the fireteam is 4 or 5 members, the Stealth effect is cancelled by the Sixth Sense L2 conferred by being in a 4+ Fireteam Core, so even without LoF, they could all elect to either Change Facing or Reset (or in De Fersen's case, make an ARO hacking attack).

If the Ninja is sitting on an objective and DeFersen comes around a corner out of his LoF, that Ninja gets no ARO - UNLESS DeFersen makes some kind of attack, in which case the Ninja does get an ARO, because again, revelation counts for the entire order.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

quote:

However, if the second Short Skill of the Order is any non-Movement Skill, then those enemies can react normally in ARO

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Which unit has Surprise Attack without Holo, HD+, Impersonation or some level of Camo?

Any unit with Protheion.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Sir Teabag posted:

If two units with stealth and hacking devices are in each others ZoC but out of LoS, can they hack each other?

Say a Ninja reveals on the last turn to grab an objective. They are in the ZoC of Defersen and his link team, but the link team doesn't have LoS to the Ninja. Does De Fersen get an ARO?

It depends. If all the Ninja does is move, Defersen does not get an ARO. The Ninja has Stealth, and if you don't have LoS to a model with Stealth, and all they do is move or use a Silent weapon (Tacbows, Knives), you cannot Hack, Alert, Change Facing, or any of the other 'In ZoC' AROs.

If the Ninja reveals, moves to the objective, and for the second part of the order attempts to use the objective, then yes, Gabe can try and hack them. It doesn't actually stop the Ninja attempting to fulfill the objective, but could prevent any further attempts.

e: oh wait link team. If they've got the magic number 4 then Gabe can do whatever he pleases, as Sixth Sense trumps Stealth

Not a viking posted:

Any unit with Protheion.

That seems like an odd thing. Maybe it's future-proofing for upcoming skills? :shrug:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The Protheion granting Surprise Attack thing strikes me as either belt and suspenders future-proofing in case they come up with a marker state that doesn't include Surprise Attack, or whoever was writing the rules forgot that Stealth alone isn't sufficient to trigger Surprise Attack.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Anything with the Martial Arts skill has Surprise Attack. There are many units that have Martial Arts and yet no way to enter a marker state, yet marker states by themselves always give access to Surprise Attack. So what is the point of including it in Martial Arts if a) the people who can use it already have it from somewhere else, and b) the people who don't already have it from somewhere else can't use it?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The answer is Spaaaaaaaain.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

admanb posted:

The answer is Spaaaaaaaain.

It's true, the rules' innate complexity is not helped by the translation process. I think that compared to a lot of systems (and not just the monolithic stupidity of GW's rules) it still works very well - all the cases I can think of that get brought up as examples of terrible holes in the game are, at least in my experience, relating to quite obscure circumstances in the game.

:siren: Sept Releases Announced:siren:

From the seminar they do at Gencon, September will see:

Aleph: Garuda with Spitfire
Nomads: Taskmaster (!) with HMG
Combined Army: Overdron Batroids
Yu Jing: Zhanshi box
Mercenaries: Krakot Renegades

And, this was in a podcast this morning, August releases:
Ariadna: Mavericks
Nomads: Bandit (hacker, female model)
Haqqislam: Djanbazan box
Yu Jing: Pheasant Agent (female model)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Overdron? :woop:

The xeodrons are such gorgeous models I can't wait. I'd put off assembling all the wings and little bits on them as I thought it'd be a headache, but it was way easier than I thought metal could ever be.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

A vedic release? :wow:

Oh. It's a nerf.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

Oh. It's a nerf.
HMG to spitfire on an AD unit is a nerf? It has better close-range bands so it's more of a sidegrade. I'd still prefer BS though.

Also, imagespam:

PanOceania:

Ariadna:

Yu Jing:

Haqqislam:

Nomads:

CA:

ALEPH:

Tohaa:

Mercs:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress me that's some good stuff.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

That is a lot of cool stuff, but what is up with that up skirt on the o-yoroi pilot? I know its japan and all, but.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Djanbazans, loving finally! :woop:

That said, the helmet/mask combo looks a bit... Boring? I dunno. I like their look other than that. I really like the hacker, though.

The Lone Ranger is kinda ehhh but the Maverick looks baller. The Lone Ranger looks awfully stiff. A very GW-pose if you will. :goleft:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Not a viking posted:

That is a lot of cool stuff, but what is up with that up skirt on the o-yoroi pilot? I know its japan and all, but.

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaain

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Gotta balance out the awesome model designs otherwise.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Not a viking posted:

There are players from my local group defending it on the official forums. :ughh:

As a result I feel sad and tired despite the several really cool minis in this wave of reveals. I like the game, but man there are times when I consider whether I like it enough to associate with parts of the playerbase.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 6, 2016

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Another day, another Infinity model with skin painted to look like pants. Thanks Spain.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
It was my hope that the introduction of Bootleg would see this stuff funneled out of the main lines. Alternately go equal opportunity with the objectification and make dudes feel uncomfortable for a change. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anime bishounen in 28mm??

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Calde posted:

It was my hope that the introduction of Bootleg would see this stuff funneled out of the main lines. Alternately go equal opportunity with the objectification and make dudes feel uncomfortable for a change. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anime bishounen in 28mm??

I just assumed the pilot was part of the bootleg series. Aren't most stand alone pilots bootleg?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fanzay posted:

Djanbazans, loving finally! :woop:

That said, the helmet/mask combo looks a bit... Boring? I dunno. I like their look other than that. I really like the hacker, though.

The Lone Ranger is kinda ehhh but the Maverick looks baller. The Lone Ranger looks awfully stiff. A very GW-pose if you will. :goleft:

I much prefer the event-exclusive Unknown Ranger. Good thing I don't play Ariadna, or that would be some cash down the drain!

Really the 2 factions I'm interested in are Corregidor and ISS, both had a model shown which I don't see as that interesting. The new Yu Jing dire foes character looks ace though. Not sure how well Corregidor will do over the next year or so though . . . probably Bakunin's time in the sun again for the foreseeable future.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just assumed the pilot was part of the bootleg series. Aren't most stand alone pilots bootleg?

There's already an O-Yoroi pilot in the Bootleg line, however, so I assumed this was the main release (the same way there's a Bootleg Penthesilea and a standard ALEPH one).

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I gotta say my excitement for Colossus morlock with LGL almost outweighs my disappointment with the taskmaster.

That taskmaster sucks... looks more like a Morat than anything.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any rumors on the when the other subfactions might get released? I needs the french!

Otherwise Scale75 has some decent terrain for infinity: http://www.scale75.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=84_85_93

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

It's true, the rules' innate complexity is not helped by the translation process. I think that compared to a lot of systems (and not just the monolithic stupidity of GW's rules) it still works very well - all the cases I can think of that get brought up as examples of terrible holes in the game are, at least in my experience, relating to quite obscure circumstances in the game.

Yeah. With N3 especially I think they've done a real good job tightening up the rules, but there are still plenty of things that make me go Spaaaaaain. Particularly the infinite special rules they add that do things that are almost exactly what another rule does. Or special rules that grant other special rules.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The Garuda's concept art is awesome. That render though is utterly shite - it looks like it's literally standing on air.

Anyway hooray for some Aleph releases which aren't more rear end.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

admanb posted:

Yeah. With N3 especially I think they've done a real good job tightening up the rules, but there are still plenty of things that make me go Spaaaaaain. Particularly the infinite special rules they add that do things that are almost exactly what another rule does. Or special rules that grant other special rules.

Yeah, I am (very slowly, because it's so drat complex) trying to bring an old 40k buddy into full understanding of the game. Don't think it really sunk in when I had to explain his Vet Kazak had 2 super-important special rules on his profile (V:NWI and SSL2) which are hidden under another name (Vet2) which also covers the lower level skill which is therefore totally unrelated (Vet1).

The other thing which ticks me off is Tinbots. For a link of HI, I get the way it works, I can see why it's differentiated from special rules in order to give you a visual reminder on the table. But HSN3 introduced Tinbots C through E(?) which are just special rules like Neurocinetics or Albedo. Just put that skill in brackets next to the model load-out! Everyone else does it!

But it seems churlish to complain. The game is really in a high point right now IMO. Every army has awesome tactical options, and while some people bitch and moan about not getting the release they wanted every drat month (the official forums are hilarious on this point) armies are slowly but surely being revamped with the stellar new-look models.

I just hope the game's coherency holds together. I've seen people complain about complexity (true, doesn't bother me) and any complaints about balance, which generally centre around a few units that are perceived as undercosted or sub-optimal, strike me as more jaded players than anything else. No-one can really say their faction/sectorial holds them back from winning in the way a lot of other games have. My long-term concern is that as they lump more and more units into the game, and more sectorials, and god help us more factions, they won't be able to support them all with models, and the balance will start to waver as new units need to have unique abilities to sell. Less is more, CB!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The best bit about Tinbots is them having models. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

As a PanO player I am extremely happen with this GenCon.

Under 15 posted:

That taskmaster sucks... looks more like a Morat than anything.

I was thinking Tohaa but yeah, I was really hoping for and open top Megaman style Walker.

• Locked thread