Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Polybius91 posted:

I've heard people say this about Infinite, but the message I got was more along the lines of "Oppression creates anger and resentment, which tend to express themselves in ugly ways that leave collateral damage even when they're justified." Which I think there's historical precedent for. I see it as all the more reason to attempt to nip oppression in the bud at every opportunity, really ¯\:v:

The game's story (sans the multiple universe woo) is just reproducing over 200 years of conservative and moderate anglophone rumination on the French Revolution. You're giving a more Charles Dickens take than I'm personally willing to give the game credit for given that no one in Comstock's 19th century US racist utopia talked about the necessity of root-and-branch genocide of the underclass while holding a knife to a child's neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/altrightwho/status/717402091082420224

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The protagonist literally claims that the only difference between the rebel leader and the prophet who deliberately designed a racist hellhole a their names. And also, the place is young enough that everyone living there deliberately chose to live in the most racist place on earth, where people hold raffles with the prize being "stone interracial couples to death"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think I'd have to play the game or read a detailed plot synopsis to really participate in this discussion fully, but am I right in reading the consensus as "angry guerilla revolutionaries wouldn't vent any ugliness or rage on their former oppressors if the tables turned, and that's why Infinite is problematic"? Because they most certainly would, right? I don't mean for that to sound like a strawman, but I'm not really seeing the problematic bit unless the game is telling you their revolt wasn't justified and things were better when they were oppressed. I take it more to mean "violent revolution is only worth it up to a certain point", that point being cruelty.

Magnusth posted:

The protagonist literally claims that the only difference between the rebel leader and the prophet who deliberately designed a racist hellhole a their names. And also, the place is young enough that everyone living there deliberately chose to live in the most racist place on earth, where people hold raffles with the prize being "stone interracial couples to death"

Fair enough, if that's the position of the game then I see why people would take issue with it.

Deified Data has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Aug 6, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I think I'd have to play the game or read a detailed plot synopsis to really participate in this discussion

Yep.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

"Men's rights" (and MGTOW) are stupid because if you really want to focus on men and not think about women at all, you can just do that without gender branding. If you care about how men are treated in prison, you can just advocate for "prisoners rights" and no one will notice or give a poo poo if you never talk about e.g. pregnancy. To focus specifically on the rights of men in contrast to women is perverse, it's pretty much akin to advocating white history month.

The best MRA is a harmless idiot who may actually wind up doing good (yes please make men less violent), whereas the worst radfem is pretty bad because even though they live in a separatist commune on the moon where there are no genders or penises, (a) they sneak online to try to get trans women back on Earth doxxed, fired, shamed, erased, killed, and (b) when they reify wombynhood by having children, I guess they kick them off the moon, because even if they are born without penises, they are not "socialized female" by their moon lesbian separatist society, and thus do not have the magical soul of womanhood. They are Not Women; they have like philosophical zombie vaginas or something.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Yeah, I was an idiot. I knew that TERFs were aholes, but I haven't had that much interactions with them except reading one or two blog posts. My bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Self-described MRAs have always been awful, but there are quite a few genuinely good organisations specifically dealing with men's issues. CALM is a great example.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Deified Data posted:

I think I'd have to play the game or read a detailed plot synopsis to really participate in this discussion fully, but am I right in reading the consensus as "angry guerilla revolutionaries wouldn't vent any ugliness or rage on their former oppressors if the tables turned, and that's why Infinite is problematic"? Because they most certainly would, right? I don't mean for that to sound like a strawman, but I'm not really seeing the problematic bit unless the game is telling you their revolt wasn't justified and things were better when they were oppressed. I take it more to mean "violent revolution is only worth it up to a certain point", that point being cruelty.

Fair enough, if that's the position of the game then I see why people would take issue with it.

Stop talking about things you know nothing about and take the word of the five~ people who literally all agree that it's bad and presents a lovely worldview.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Magnusth posted:

Yeah, I was an idiot. I knew that TERFs were aholes, but I haven't had that much interactions with them except reading one or two blog posts. My bad.

Sorry I didn't mean to pile on, I just wanted to dunk on radfems like a bitter transgenderismist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"And daleks" reads like a punchline. If this is a parody account, it's brilliant.

If not, well... still brilliant, just unintentionally.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Sax Solo posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to pile on, I just wanted to dunk on radfems like a bitter transgenderismist.

Yeah, I know. It just felt appropriate to actually make it clear I was wrong after the debate that started. Not directed at anyone in particular

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

I haven't played Infinite, but what's the context of this? "People in power are lovely to those that aren't" isn't a terribly controversial statement, I thought?

Daisey, the (black) leader of the oppressed revolutionaries, takes her sweet time murdering an innocent (and white) child later on when the revolution starts rolling. There is no reason for her to do this beyond showing that she really deserved being treated like subhuman filth by the fascist authorities she's rebelling against.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lady Naga posted:

Stop talking about things you know nothing about and take the word of the five~ people who literally all agree that it's bad and presents a lovely worldview.

I explained that I had my question answered to my satisfaction at the end of the post you quoted, but also here's a good article on the subject if anyone else was looking for clarification. I concede whatever point I was trying to make. It sounds like the game clearly paints violent revolution and violent oppression with the same moral brush.

Rhukatah
Feb 26, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

It sounds like the game clearly paints violent revolution and violent oppression with the same moral brush.

And it does so with zero subtlety in a way that makes it very clear that the writers didn't put any effort towards understanding the history of race relations in America.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rhukatah posted:

Daisey, the (black) leader of the oppressed revolutionaries, takes her sweet time murdering an innocent (and white) child later on when the revolution starts rolling. There is no reason for her to do this beyond showing that she really deserved being treated like subhuman filth by the fascist authorities she's rebelling against.

It was the child of the robber baron I believe also the dlc retcons it in a massively retarded degree and makes it even dumber.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What's the retcon, I'm interested but will never play the DLC.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

What's the retcon, I'm interested but will never play the DLC.

Basically the luteses have been helping Fitzroy. And she is fine with killing fink but not the kid. They tell her she has to so Elizabeth can kill her so she can be broken enough to erase comstock and she can become a martyr. It's dumb as poo poo. I liked to the dlc because I got to see suchong from bioshock 1 die, other then that and some interesting background fluff about rapture and songbird it's meh

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 6, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
How does the AltRight view Watch_Dogs and it's horrible protagonist?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What says a lot to me is the fact that Davis Aurini loved the game and especially how Fitzroy was portrayed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Who knows. They hate the new one because black activist protagonist, I think it looks cool. 1 was boring as poo poo

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Like everyone else, they don't.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Like everyone else, they don't.

See that's weird to me cause Aiden Pierce not only seems like an idiot they would like, but an Alt Right member himself who ignores his follies. Plus the power fantasy of being the HAXXOR OF JUSTICE

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

See that's weird to me cause Aiden Pierce not only seems like an idiot they would like, but an Alt Right member himself who ignores his follies. Plus the power fantasy of being the HAXXOR OF JUSTICE

The problem being that he, and the game he's in, are both really loving boring

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The problem being that he, and the game he's in, are both really loving boring

Haven't played it so I wouldn't know

Makes sense though

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Haven't played it so I wouldn't know

Makes sense though

Yeah it's poo poo. 2 looks interesting though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Watch_dogs was a hilariously broken game and suffers from trying to be a dramatic storyline in a sandbox settings. Hence, "HOW DARE THEY TAKE MY FAMILY FROM ME *spends 10 hours stalking people in the streets to earn cash and exp*"

That poo poo is fine in like Zelda but in a game pushing itself as Super Serious Game it ruins the effect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Watch_dogs was a hilariously broken game and suffers from trying to be a dramatic storyline in a sandbox settings. Hence, "HOW DARE THEY TAKE MY FAMILY FROM ME *spends 10 hours stalking people in the streets to earn cash and exp*"

That poo poo is fine in like Zelda but in a game pushing itself as Super Serious Game it ruins the effect.

It also has the major issue I had with that and bioshock infinite. Was the Frankenstein togetherness story. Ideas and themes and plots from different design stages jammed together along with no thought of structure or nuances. It's why pierce is all over the place with motivations and other poo poo and plot lines feel all mixed up or dropped. Same with bioshock infinite.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It also has the major issue I had with that and bioshock infinite. Was the Frankenstein togetherness story. Ideas and themes and plots from different design stages jammed together along with no thought of structure or nuances. It's why pierce is all over the place with motivations and other poo poo and plot lines feel all mixed up or dropped. Same with bioshock infinite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9cwOcdqs4

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Watch_Dogs had 0 dogs

I hope the sequel will address this problem

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Nessus posted:

Watch_Dogs had 0 dogs

All signs suggest that it does!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I prefer superbunnyhop but pretty much.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Watch_Dogs had 0 dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNnTOqgSHQ0

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This does raise an interesting question, though - how do you smoothly integrate a story, let alone a dramatic one, with sandbox gameplay? Has any game managed this?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

This does raise an interesting question, though - how do you smoothly integrate a story, let alone a dramatic one, with sandbox gameplay? Has any game managed this?

That's a derail for this thread so..

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Darth Walrus posted:

Witcher 3. Anyway, let's move on...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TomViolence posted:

Witcher 3. Anyway, let's move on...

This. Witcher 3 knocks it out of the park. Anyway,So does irl Kane(Owen I think) actually believe half the sad poo poo he screeches about. He is just the most pathetic gently caress out of all the alt righters. Dude tries so hard to be edgy and "intellectual" it's not even funny. You can tell he feels insecure as gently caress.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Witcher 3 knocks it out of the park. Anyway,So does irl Kane(Owen I think) actually believe half the sad poo poo he screeches about. He is just the most pathetic gently caress out of all the alt righters. Dude tries so hard to be edgy and "intellectual" it's not even funny. You can tell he feels insecure as gently caress.

I'm more secure in my life than every alt right person, and I still haven't found a new therapist since June

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Aurini's the bald one, Owen's the bathtub guy

Also the Witcher 3 definitely told a good story using a sandbox setting but I'd like to mention Fallout New Vegas for its ability to draw almost every quest and sidequest into the main story so that everything had a visible effect on how the final battle plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I'm more secure in my life than every alt right person, and I still haven't found a new therapist since June

Me too. I go to college, have a healthy relationship with a wonderful girl and I have healthy variety of interests and hobbies. These dudes get too wrapped up the appearance of something rather then actual thing. I am fat cripple who drinks milk and juicy juice in public. I don't need to justify my " masculinity"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Also the Witcher 3 definitely told a good story using a sandbox setting but I'd like to mention Fallout New Vegas for its ability to draw almost every quest and sidequest into the main story so that everything had a visible effect on how the final battle plays out.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ok always get them confused,