Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
In the stores around here, Not Your Father's root beer sells out almost instantly every time it comes in. But speaking as someone whose had it, it's boring. It's too thick and it has no crispness to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

akulanization posted:

Not Your Father's Root Beer is the only correct answer here.

I dunno, Dad's, A&W, and Virgils are all really good. You know what's a bad Root Beer? Best drat Root Beer. I have no clue how someone hosed up combining Root Beer and ABV greater than 0, but here we are.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Weinhard's - watery
Virgil's - lacks flavor
Fentimans' - Why does this taste like Robitussin, my dawg?
Bundaberg - Fentimans-lite

I am completely fine with good ol' American mass produced root beer.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At least we're not talking about Moxie. It's probably one of the weirdest drinks I've ever had*, and yet somehow it still manages to be a cultural icon of Maine.

*But definitely not the highest in that regard. Instead, the weirdest drink I've ever had was an imitation Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. (Most of the real ingredients are fictitious, so we had to make do.) After chugging one of these I was basically knocked out for an evening, and spent the next day feeling like mint.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NGDBSS posted:

At least we're not talking about Moxie. It's probably one of the weirdest drinks I've ever had*, and yet somehow it still manages to be a cultural icon of Maine.

*But definitely not the highest in that regard. Instead, the weirdest drink I've ever had was an imitation Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. (Most of the real ingredients are fictitious, so we had to make do.) After chugging one of these I was basically knocked out for an evening, and spent the next day feeling like mint.

That sounds accurate to the experience, yes. Also somewhat surprised that Moxie is still being produced.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

That sounds accurate to the experience, yes. Also somewhat surprised that Moxie is still being produced.

Regional tastes are weird. Sailor Boy pilot bread is still made and mostly because Alaskans demand it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

Regional tastes are weird. Sailor Boy pilot bread is still made and mostly because Alaskans demand it.

As an Alaskan, I was surprised to find out that Sailor Boy Pilot Bread isn't in all Costco locations. But mostly because it makes for a good large cracker/hard bread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Regional tastes are weird.

Except Publix. One thing Floridians can point to as a great thing our state made that isn't weird in the least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zyxophoj posted:

Is there any other kind of root beer?

Oh yes, tons. There's awful root beer that you have to drink something else to get the taste out of your mouth. Bad root beer that you stop drinking after the first sip. Not that great root beer that you find yourself drinking for reasons you don't understand. Alright root beer that isn't offensive or anything but you're not really going to be searching it for it specifically. And good root beer. Of course, this is all extremely simplified.

Anyway, I haven't tried a ton, but my favorite root beer is Barq's.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Whatever. Spruce Beer > Root Beer anyway. :canada:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Cythereal posted:

Except Publix. One thing Floridians can point to as a great thing our state made that isn't weird in the least.

Oh goddamn but this is some real talk right here.

Club Pub Subs. There is nothing better than their chicken tender sub. Except for one of their other subs.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

You say that, and yet Moxie is a wonderful taste that will stay with you all day.

And the next.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Some day I'm going to have to remember to get my mom to give me her alcoholic Ginger Beer recipe and/or post it in this thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leif. posted:

Oh goddamn but this is some real talk right here.

Club Pub Subs. There is nothing better than their chicken tender sub. Except for one of their other subs.

Chicken tender is great, but I'm also partial to the italian on multigrain bread with mayo, honey mustard, tomatoes, green peppers, and lettuce.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Coffeehitler posted:

As an Alaskan, I was surprised to find out that Sailor Boy Pilot Bread isn't in all Costco locations. But mostly because it makes for a good large cracker/hard bread.

Of course Hitler would say that...

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Coffeehitler posted:

I dunno, Dad's, A&W, and Virgils are all really good. You know what's a bad Root Beer? Best drat Root Beer. I have no clue how someone hosed up combining Root Beer and ABV greater than 0, but here we are.

"InBev" should answer your question.

I mean seriously, Best drat is a transparent attempt to compete with Not Your Dad's leveraging superior distribution and mass-production pissbeer.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Is this a good time to bring up Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Why does every Jade Star LP always end up being a root beer chat? I mean, I love root beer. It is my favorite soda. But it just seems kinda... off topic.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crabbie's is best used for making Dark & Stormy's. I've almost never had it alone.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Zebrin posted:

Why does every Jade Star LP always end up being a root beer chat? I mean, I love root beer. It is my favorite soda. But it just seems kinda... off topic.

He brings it up in his videos. Fair game imo.

Green Intern posted:

Crabbie's is best used for making Dark & Stormy's. I've almost never had it alone.

Never tried a Dark & Stormy but I did drink Crown & Ginger Beer for a while.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zebrin posted:

Jade is noted for having a love of root beer. Said love leads to it being a topic during his lps when people are waiting on the next video.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

Jade is noted for having a love of root beer. Said love leads to it being a topic during his lps when people are waiting on the next video.

Let's not forget his Patreon, which goes to fund his root beer addiction.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Cythereal posted:

Chicken tender is great, but I'm also partial to the italian on multigrain bread with mayo, honey mustard, tomatoes, green peppers, and lettuce.

The other great part about Florida is that you can meet any other person from Florida your age or younger, and if you ask them what their first job was, probably 80% of the time the answer will be "Publix <bagboy/cashier/stocker>"

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Canuck-Errant posted:

Let's not forget his Patreon, which goes to fund his root beer addiction.

Not a lie. I started a Patreon maybe a year ago mostly as a joke with funding goals like having Jenner read her Wizard fantasy fiction story, or playing the terrible anime games people sometimes humble bundle at me. I pledged the Patreon would be used for hookers and rootbeer. So far it has only been used for rootbeer, but bless the people that feed my addiction.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jade Star posted:

Not a lie. I started a Patreon maybe a year ago mostly as a joke with funding goals like having Jenner read her Wizard fantasy fiction story, or playing the terrible anime games people sometimes humble bundle at me. I pledged the Patreon would be used for hookers and rootbeer. So far it has only been used for rootbeer, but bless the people that feed my addiction.

Good plan tho.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Jade Star posted:

Jade Star Jr. is going to be in XCOM 4.

"Wait! Jade Star wasn't married! How could he have a son?"
"He happened to like hookers, okay?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jade Star posted:

I pledged the Patreon would be used for hookers and rootbeer. So far it has only been used for rootbeer

Looks like you have some perusing of the local businesses to do, then!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Buy some birch beer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Teledahn posted:

Buy some birch beer.

Doesn't that taste like licorice?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Kwyndig posted:

No?

At least to me, it tastes like a blend of root beer and cola. I suppose it depends on the brand. The prospect of actually mixing the two to compare is suddenly rather unappetizing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

AnoHito posted:

Some day I'm going to have to remember to get my mom to give me her alcoholic Ginger Beer recipe and/or post it in this thread.

Yes please do!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Fentimans tastes like licorice in a bad way.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

Weinhard's - watery
Virgil's - lacks flavor
Fentimans' - Why does this taste like Robitussin, my dawg?
Bundaberg - Fentimans-lite

I am completely fine with good ol' American mass produced root beer.

I've got IBC, Maine Root, and Souix City root beers in the fridge right now. I like the sour sting that Bundaberg has, but I'll admit I can't drink that constantly without a break.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I have a bottle of Good Morning from Treehouse that I'm saving for my birthday in a few months. Quite excited.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I just accidentally broke the hell out of the first DLC by a repeater going off. It was amazing and I recommend.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

YOTC posted:

I just accidentally broke the hell out of the first DLC by a repeater going off. It was amazing and I recommend.

For some reason I figured things like repeaters just wouldn't work on that enemy. Good to know that under all the bullshit they're just as vulnerable to it as any other alien!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Materant posted:

For some reason I figured things like repeaters just wouldn't work on that enemy. Good to know that under all the bullshit they're just as vulnerable to it as any other alien!

Yep, that's the third time I've heard of that happening.

I can't wait for the next mission I'm this LP, it's the Shen DLC finally, right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A couple days ago I skulljacked my first officer. In the middle of the second retaliation mission.

And won :stare:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
how many soldiers died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I can't wait for the next mission I'm this LP, it's the Shen DLC finally, right?

Aye. I really like this mission, the music is excellent, Shen is fun to use, it can get pretty tense and the ending is pretty darn tough. Or you get lucky and cheese it.

• Locked thread