Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the strategy map is a bit rear end but as a way to give context to random battles it does its job

the main issue is that you generally spend more time futzing with buildings and stuff than you do playing battles, especially when autoresolve is a thing

TaurusTorus posted:

There's an easier way, suggest that women should be given greater representation.
yeah it's weird that the only female unit in the entire game is the rando vampire lady from vampire counts. oh and the damsel. i can get that greenskins and beastmen and dwarfs are all dudes (are they? iunno warhammer fantasy lore) and i can even buy that every army in the world is male-dominated but idk you could slap some female models into like, the peasant archers and stuff.

are the elves in warhammer fantasy like the eldar? 'cause if so at least that should be a mostly female army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can someone walk me through the first few turns of a VH Greenskins campaign? I tried to consolidate the starting province so I could stabalize public order but the Dwarfs marched down with a doomstack and axed me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Can someone walk me through the first few turns of a VH Greenskins campaign? I tried to consolidate the starting province so I could stabalize public order but the Dwarfs marched down with a doomstack and axed me.

azhag or grimgor?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

azhag or grimgor?

Grimgor

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I am fine with autoresolving and just playing the strategy layer for a while. Sometimes you just don't have the energy for a real time strategy battle and just want to do a few turns, you know?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Don't worry about stabilising public order at that point, make sure instead that you-get a Waaagh off.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plan Z posted:

Oddly enough I remember people begging for women units back in the Rome 1 days. I'm guessing that's changed in the past few years. Hands down the maddest I see TW people get (besides over DLC) is if someone prefers the battles over the grand strategy parts.

the meltdown when the woman warriors DLC came out was incredible.

I think that DLC still has a negative overal review in Steam just from the saltiness.

It was actually one of the coolest DLCs of the game, which just makes it even more funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Make sure you get a a waaagh and abuse your starting doom diver when you get into battles, that thing can pretty much delete two units per battle.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah early on just accept that you'll have a revolt that you will have to squash right away. It will get you some loot, xp, and fightiness so it's not really that bad as long as you don't let the revolt grow too big.

I tend to play out almost any battle that isn't massively for or against me, and even those I sometimes play out to see if I can maximize enemy casualties in a sure loss (always fun if you manage to completely eliminate an artillery unit or something when playing with an over-matched garrison). I'll also almost always play ambushes because it's incredibly satisfying smashing an enemy army to pieces (I almost only ever get these with beastmen).

e: And it would be cool to see more women in the game, though I realize CA is kind of handicapped by the lore. Maybe once the elves come along?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah early on just accept that you'll have a revolt that you will have to squash right away. It will get you some loot, xp, and fightiness so it's not really that bad as long as you don't let the revolt grow too big.

I tend to play out almost any battle that isn't massively for or against me, and even those I sometimes play out to see if I can maximize enemy casualties in a sure loss (always fun if you manage to completely eliminate an artillery unit or something when playing with an over-matched garrison). I'll also almost always play ambushes because it's incredibly satisfying smashing an enemy army to pieces (I almost only ever get these with beastmen).

e: And it would be cool to see more women in the game, though I realize CA is kind of handicapped by the lore. Maybe once the elves come along?

Is there a warhammer fantasy equivalent to the sister of battle?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I have vampire library and vampire keeps in every capital building level 5 province. I'm have 4k of income a turn with my 4 armies going strong and my banshees/wrightkings/etc

But a 5th army brings my income to less than 500 a turn with the incremental upkeep.

you think four full stacked armies with only two provinces and an income of 4k is a bad economy?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

the wood elves have mostly female units from about two minutes of googling. they have some random male infantry/archers but their cav and mages seem to be mostly women.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

you think four full stacked armies with only two provinces and an income of 4k is a bad economy?

i have reikland, marienburg, and all of bretonnia and can only afford 2 elite stacks and 3 regulars with 3600 net income. you're telling me the bloodsuckers can run a bit smaller military than that with only 2 provinces, smdh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

you have the sisters of sigmar, who are pretty much warrior priests.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

i have reikland, marienburg, and all of bretonnia and can only afford 2 elite stacks and 3 regulars with 3600 net income. you're telling me the bloodsuckers can run a bit smaller military than that with only 2 provinces, smdh

Empire has a pretty poo poo income/upkeep cost ratio.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Empire has a pretty poo poo income/upkeep cost ratio.

CA should change empire difficulty to hard now, it's only gonna get worse when more factions come up and expose more borders to defend

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

CA should change empire difficulty to hard now, it's only gonna get worse when more factions come up and expose more borders to defend

Agreed

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
This is almost microscopic in the overall context of the game but the spiked balls on the razorgors little tails are comically dumb. Like the enormous Flintstone bones inexplicably attached to the crypt horrors.

I know, I know.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think sometimes people make the mistake of making too many 'doomstacks' which can quickly make your army upkeep costs get out of hand (by which I mean adding too many top tier super elite units). Sometimes it's overkill, and most mop-up or defense armies shouldn't need to be totally pimped out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think sometimes people make the mistake of making too many 'doomstacks' which can quickly make your army upkeep costs get out of hand (by which I mean adding too many top tier super elite units). Sometimes it's overkill, and most mop-up or defense armies shouldn't need to be totally pimped out.

Agreed. To some extent it's even counterproductive, given how the AI uses the strength of your armies to determine whether to avoid fights. Ideally you want to design your armies to be approximately evenly matched with what they come up against.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Fangz posted:

Agreed. To some extent it's even counterproductive, given how the AI uses the strength of your armies to determine whether to avoid fights. Ideally you want to design your armies to be approximately evenly matched with what they come up against.

State troops can take you a long way as empire. I really don't think you need more elite units until you're throwing down with vampire counts or post-Archeon Chaos. The decision to only have a few elite units for most of the game really helped my VH/VH run.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At the end of my beastman mini campaign the AIs only stack was 19 mortars holed in their non-walled settlement. There was no way I could approach from the front regardless, but vanguard deployment against such a line up is effective. The AI turned around every unit once they were no longer hidden with my front just out of range. If they had walls or only turned a fraction my only hope was hero or enough bulls.

I'm excited to see the AI solutions for the future minis

/e only having a few elites will also result in the AI attacking, those who complain that it just runs away and never sieges.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Endorph posted:

yeah it's weird that the only female unit in the entire game is the rando vampire lady from vampire counts. oh and the damsel. i can get that greenskins and beastmen and dwarfs are all dudes (are they? iunno warhammer fantasy lore) and i can even buy that every army in the world is male-dominated but idk you could slap some female models into like, the peasant archers and stuff.

are the elves in warhammer fantasy like the eldar? 'cause if so at least that should be a mostly female army

Yeah there's quite a few ladies on the battlefield in Warhammer, the problem is that they're usually either Elves or they've got their tits out (or both). Like for instance the Harpies are the only fighting ladies on the Beastmen roster and they run around topless. Which yeah that means CA can't make them without pissing somebody off. Same thing with Daemonettes of Slaanesh.

But to answer the question I think it's ambiguous if Beastmen have Beastwomen, but the Dwarfs do have lady dwarfs. It's just that Dwarf women are literally worth their weight in gold and are kept in the Karaks.

All the versions of Elves meanwhile have a ton of lady-only units and women as political leaders. They're about the best this game developed 30 years ago comes to representation.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 6, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah. Holy loving poo poo do the AI's mortars slaughter my beastmen. On my big climactic 2 stack v 2 stack fight against Boris Todbringer his 3 mortars (which came on as reinforcements, so no vanguard deployment...) scored 200 kills or so each, with their shots just utterly wiping my clumps of raiders. My only chance is to hit those bastards in ambushes.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 6, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Yeah there's quite a few ladies on the battlefield in Warhammer, the problem is that they're usually either Elves or they've got their tits out (or both). Like for instance the Harpies are the only fighting ladies on the Beastmen roster and they run around topless. Which yeah that means CA can't make them without pissing somebody off. Same thing with Daemonettes of Slaanesh.

But to answer the question I think it's ambiguous if Beastmen have Beastwomen, but the Dwarfs do have lady dwarfs. It's just that Dwarf women are literally worth their weight in gold and are kept in the Karaks.

All the versions of Elves meanwhile have a ton of lady-only units and women as political leaders. They're about the best this game developed 30 years ago comes to representation.
Aren't a ton of Bretonnian questing knights all semi-secretly women? And since the penalty for a woman impersonating a knight is to be sent on a quest, everyone just kind of (poorly) pretends otherwise?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

I remember getting a Doe follower as Beastmen and the description said females were rare, so I assume it's the same as Dwarfs and they're all holed away somewhere.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It would have been so easy for them to include Isabella and/or Valkia so they could at least have one female legendary lord that I'm kind of mystified they passed them up.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 6, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hell, all the vampires are women anyway. They could've made female vampire lords atleast. Or vampire ladies in this case.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Off topic but are there any must have mods for Rome 2? I have all the DLC. Are any of the overhaul mods good or are there any minor ones I should get?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As empire on VH I have better luck using standard troops and just making sure my armies travel in pairs or groups than buying all the expensive rear end endgame troops most of the time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ravenfood posted:

Aren't a ton of Bretonnian questing knights all semi-secretly women? And since the penalty for a woman impersonating a knight is to be sent on a quest, everyone just kind of (poorly) pretends otherwise?

That's outlined in the RPG, but yeah. I hope they add a random chance of ladies badly faking a baritone when you click on Questing Knights whenever they add playable Bretonnia. Bretonnia really is a nation of "polite fictions" and I hope they're able to nail that aspect while we're in the driver's seat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Off topic but are there any must have mods for Rome 2? I have all the DLC. Are any of the overhaul mods good or are there any minor ones I should get?

I think most of the gameplay mods do more harm than good. I consider myself a Total War enthusiast and I used a pretty restrained mod list. My recommendations...

1. Four turns per year mod (it's just too annoying managing your geriatric generals otherwise)
2. Agent Cards Redone (they just look cool, no gameplay effects)
3. I forget the name but there is one that reduces the AI's budget for agent actions which I find a better solution than disabling them or something.
4. If they made a mod that gets rid of the battle advisor's dumb face without turning off his voice that poo poo would be essential but it didn't exist when I played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GmjaHH5r1I

30000 alliance, worth every penny

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Question for one of you mod makers, any of you that is able to make a co-op mod for Beastmen same as the one for Chaos?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

If I remember correctly their base units are about 50/50 men/women and their special units are for the most part 100% one gender or another based on which special unit it is.

Mans posted:

the meltdown when the woman warriors DLC came out was incredible.

I think that DLC still has a negative overal review in Steam just from the saltiness.

It was actually one of the coolest DLCs of the game, which just makes it even more funny.
Actually it's sitting at mostly positive.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

It would have been so easy for them to include Isabella and/or Valkia so they could at least have one female legendary lord that I'm kind of mystified they passed them up.
I'm guessing both of them will be added in the future but they suffered from two particular idiocies. None of the matched sets have been properly included and Isabella would basically need Vlad. So she got axed for the same reason Krell did. CA was too lazy to figure out matched set lords.

Then Valkia would have at have a new flying skeleton for winged humanoid. So she got the axe for the same reason harpies did CA being too lazy to add that skeleton for 2 units. I can practically guarantee that Valkia, harpies, and demon princes will all be added in the same update.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I know none of you really mean it when you say devs didn't do things because they are lazy but it's seriously like going to a restaurant and calling the waiter lazy because they didn't bring you free desert.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Has CA said that there'll be Legendary Heroes? So we could get Schwarzhelm for Empire, Krell for VC, maybe Gotrek for Dwarves, etc. Not every special character in Warhammer is a general, after all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fellblade posted:

I know none of you really mean it when you say devs didn't do things because they are lazy but it's seriously like going to a restaurant and calling the waiter lazy because they didn't bring you free desert.

Please don't start this argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
No need to worry, I'm not going to engage with anybody who disagrees because if you genuinely believe devs aren't doing things because they are lazy you are probably a lovely person and I've got better things to do with my time.

• Locked thread