Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Dumb question, but I'm on a time limit:

If I make snapshot A, and then someone makes snapshot B. What are the implications of deleting snapshot A before B?

I have a change management process but I didn't take into account that someone else would have a task that overran mine and I don't want to break things.

Edit:

Nevermind. B finished their work and deleted their snapshot. Panic over.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
For what it's worth it just rolls the delta of A into B right? Really any other alternative breaks B.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah deleting snapshot A would just make snapshot B the diff between B and the original VM.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah deleting snapshot A would just make snapshot B the diff between B and the original VM.

That's what I assumed would happen, but drat, I didn't want to be wrong!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
If it is good software it would have told you could not delete it because of child snaphots or something.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Deleting snapshots? Just leave them out there forever...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moey posted:

Deleting snapshots? Just leave them out there forever...

The ABC's of snapshots.

A Always
B Be
C Creating (more snapshots)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I was talking about this in the GPU thread, but it probably belongs here instead.

Trying out GPU-passthrough to downsize the number of machines I have. Currently I have an always-on linux box that's my desktop/development station and runs some services for my home (PLEX transcode, etc). Sitting next to it, hibernating 99.9% of the time is a box just for gaming.

Setup is Qemu/KVM on an i5-4590 (non-k) with VT-d enabled. GPU passes through fine, but the USB is all sorts of hosed up.

code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -cpu host -m 4G -M pc \
	-boot menu=on \
	-smp sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 \
	-vga none \
	-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=Sapphire.R9270X.2048.131105_2.rom,addr=0x4.0x0\
	-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.1,addr=0x4.0x1 \
	-device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi0,addr=0x6 \
	-netdev tap,id=hostnet1,helper=/usr/lib/qemu/qemu-bridge-helper \
        -device virtio-net,netdev=hostnet1,id=net1,mac=52:54:00:33:b4:11,addr=0x08 \
	-drive file=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_500GB_S1DHNSAFB18314H,format=raw,if=none,id=scsi0-0 \
	-device scsi-hd,bus=scsi0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=scsi0-0,bootindex=1 \
	-soundhw hda \
	-readconfig /usr/share/doc/qemu-system-common/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg \
	-device usb-host,vendorid=0x0a81,productid=0x0205 \
	-device usb-host,vendorid=0x046d,productid=0xc531 \
	-device usb-host,vendorid=0x041e,productid=0x4088 \
	"$@"
Those USB devices are:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c531 Logitech, Inc. C-U0007 [Unifying Receiver]
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 041e:4088 Creative Technology, Ltd Live! Cam Chat HD [VF0700]
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0a81:0205 Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse Adapter

The webcam works, but the mouse & keyboard both show up in device manager as yellow triangles.

Bootup on qemu is silent, but the host kernel gets upset about USB shennagins:

code:
Aug  6 15:18:41 wolf kernel: [99117.237215] usb 1-12: reset low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:42 wolf kernel: [99117.658195] usb 1-9: reset full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:43 wolf kernel: [99119.108144] usb 1-12: reset low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:43 wolf kernel: [99119.529164] usb 1-9: reset full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:44 wolf kernel: [99119.946134] usb 1-12: reset low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:44 wolf kernel: [99120.367090] usb 1-9: reset full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:44 wolf kernel: [99120.605028] usb 1-11.3: reset high-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:46 wolf kernel: [99122.404975] usb 1-11.3: reset high-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
Aug  6 15:18:47 wolf kernel: [99122.736959] usb 1-12: reset low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Any ideas? All I can find is people asking for help in how to bind devices, it's apparently "just working" once they bind them.

I tried putting in a PCI USB card to pass through directly, but it gives me poo poo no matter which slot I put it in. It's in it's own IOMMU group, but the interrupt is shared and refuses to honor remapping.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Does the host have the USB devices mapped to xinput already? vfiostub?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
What's the lowest power (and cheapest) hardware requirements for a small, home ESXi buld? I want to uprade my home server and I fancy virtualisation his time. I will only be running two or three VM's on it, so powerful hardware isn't required.

I have a WD red 1TB and small 64GB SSD to keep the OS on. I also have spare powers supplies (one almost brand new and a never used PicoPSU and power brick). I also have decent 4 GB of decent G.Skill RAM spare, so all I need is a CPU and motherboard.

I tried running ESXi 6 on my ancient Clarkdale i3 CPU and it just hung during the install for 30 minutes, with no indication that it was doing anything.

Would a modern, low power, desktop CPU work? Or am I kidding myself. Something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor (£34.64 @ BT Shop)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Alpine M1 - Passive Fanless CPU Cooler (£5.28 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock AM1H-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard (£50.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £89.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-07 09:48 BST+0100

Or am I kidding myself and need to step it up to an i3-4170, or even or something more powerful?

I was hoping it's just the ancient architecure on my Clarkdale i3 that's preventing ESXi from installing.

I would love to get down to the PC store today and get some some modern server hardware to get this project going.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I run about 10 VMs on one of these with 6gb of RAM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hp-Compaq-dc5850-AMD-DUAL-CORE-7750-2-7GHz-4G-RAM-DVDRW-NO-HDD-/271948280725?hash=item3f51617395:g:OMcAAOSwLVZVwBC9

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The USB turned out to be a combination of things: Windows being windows and making GBS threads up the DriverStore (copied new usb* from install.wim to fix it) and the PS2/USB adapter being a piece of junk.

Unfortunately, even after all that I only got "near native" performance on benchmarks and some games. Others were running at unplayable levels of FPS for some reason. I'm going to attribute it to the only-partial VT-d support on H97 (IOMMU, no IRQ remap, maybe other limitations?) and try it again when I get better hardware.

I tried the obvious fixes: CPU pinning per-thread, hugepages instead of 4k memory maps, every driver possible to virtio, moved the sound from emulated to running through the HDMI. DPC Latency was pretty horrific comapared to a raw machine - raw was max ~150us, qemu was minimum 1500us, spiking up to 20k or more. If that's applying to draw commands than the difference is probably big-batch vs small-batch game engines.

Harik fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 7, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I run ESXi on an old Core 2 Quad CPU, but I have 16GB of RAM. An older i3 should be able to keep up running a limited number of VMs. 4GB isn't really going to cut it though. I wouldn't run less than 8GB for virtualization.

Also, make sure you've got VT-x or whatever enabled in your BIOS.

HPL fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 7, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I tried it with 8GB RAM (4 GB temporarily removed from desktop) and still no dice.

I will examine the BIOS settings for all Virt related stuff, tomorrow.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
not all intel processors support virtualization. what is the exact model number?

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
It's a really old Clarkdale i3-540, coupled with a GA-H55-USB3 motherboard.

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/46473/Intel-Core-i3-540-Processor-4M-Cache-3_06-GHz

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3455#ov

It should have enough grunt to do what I want to do with it (store business files and stream music/video) but I'm leaning on building a new system with more modern architecture.

E: could it be the on-board LAN? Do I need a dedicated network interface card for ESXi?

DeaconBlues fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 8, 2016

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

DeaconBlues posted:

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor (£34.64 @ BT Shop)

Or am I kidding myself and need to step it up to an i3-4170, or even or something more powerful?

I was hoping it's just the ancient architecure on my Clarkdale i3 that's preventing ESXi from installing.

Never buy an AMD, they are all but dead. You might be able to get a Clarkdale to work, but the i3-4170 would be a much better bet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DevNull posted:

Never buy an AMD

Whatchu talking about, Zen will implement generations of generations of features all in one go without any disappoi-- :suicide101:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Potato Salad posted:

Whatchu talking about, Zen will implement generations of generations of features all in one go without any disappoi-- :suicide101:
the Matrox Parhelia of desktop chips

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I've been trying to play around with server 2016 in hyper-v but I've run into the dumbest problem- my keyboard strokes aren't passing through to the vm. I guess I could build an unattend.xml file and then log in remotely, but that would be giving up, right?

Does anyone have advice?

e: I rolled back the anniversary update and the vhds I could produce behaved normally. :bravo:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 11, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There's only one vm on this datastore, a SQL/application server. No wonder there are performance complaints from the users! :catstare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's your fault anyway. The devs said so.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
45/128 VMs need to be changed off of e1000/e when I do the migration to our new datacenter. :stonk:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

evil_bunnY posted:

It's your fault anyway. The devs said so.

when certain reports query a million row tables and there are 8 people running those 5-6 times each in the morning, it sends the disk latency through the loving roof because our ancient compellent can't keep up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm in the same place with an Oracle E-Biz system with users who (1) can't let me discard decades-old data to a non-production DB (2) can't write reports that exhibit any level of mindfulness for efficiency (3) won't put these reports in our digital document / OCR system and instead re-queue and re-print them every time someone needs to see <report result>.

Someone, please for the love of God, make an affordable turnkey SSD storage filer. You are going to have to eventually.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

when certain reports query a million row tables and there are 8 people running those 5-6 times each in the morning, it sends the disk latency through the loving roof because our ancient compellent can't keep up.
Congratulations on becoming an all-flash customer.

devmd01 posted:

45/128 VMs need to be changed off of e1000/e when I do the migration to our new datacenter. :stonk:
That'll teach ya to use it in the first place.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
New compellent has 7TB of flash Tier-1, we bring it online in the new colo in a few weeks. :D

And yeah, I didn't set those VMs up. VMXNET3 unless you have a very, very good reason.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 12, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Potato Salad posted:

Someone, please for the love of God, make an affordable turnkey SSD storage filer. You are going to have to eventually.

You can get into small all flash arrays for around 40k (less with some haggling and buying at the right time), and the prices are coming down constantly.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

That's 5 minutes of effort with power shell.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

adorai posted:

Yeah, if you don't have PowerCLI you're really missing out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adorai posted:

It'll be more effort on the OS/IPAM side tho.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know about Linux, but if you change the adapter card, it will treat it as a brand new device, ignoring all old settings.

You also can't remotely configure a server that's off the network, so you have to make a script that can grab the old info, wait for the change, and then put in the new info.

Not a simple script.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
You use powercli to change the type and the mac will match the old card. We went through this ourselves, it was stupid simple. It might have required a second reboot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

adorai posted:

You use powercli to change the type and the mac will match the old card. We went through this ourselves, it was stupid simple. It might have required a second reboot.

The Mac will match!? That simplifies things a lot!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adorai posted:

the mac will match the old card
Well that certainly simplifies everything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

You use powercli to change the type and the mac will match the old card.

:eyepop:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Today I discovered that NTP settings across all three VMware clusters were not consistent.

I also broke our DR vcenter, so I'm deploying a vc6 appliance instead.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

devmd01 posted:

Today I discovered that NTP settings across all three VMware clusters were not consistent.

I also broke our DR vcenter, so I'm deploying a vc6 appliance instead.

NTP settings is a huge pet peeve of mine because of an awful experience I had at an MSP.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
new vcenter6 appliance is up and running and the cluster rebuilt for ha/drs, SSO configured for AD auth, now I just need to set up alert notifications and I'm done.

e: and uh, licensing, that'd be a good idea too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

Add that to the mix of people syncing guest time with host. Fun problems.