Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nurge posted:

The argument about illusion of choice blah blah blah a few pages back is idiotic. Fixing that entire thing takes exactly two steps: 1) You create a system where no one sees any numbers, ever. 2) You encrypt every piece of data moving between the client and the server, hard. Bam. Problem solved. No one will ever know what is optimal. Why MMOs don't do this already boggles the mind.

ACT has a mode where it can grab damage numbers out of the game's memory so unless you want to get into a DRM-style arms race there this ain't going to work.

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nurge is trolling you dont bite on it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Nurge is trolling you dont bite on it.

:negative:

In other news, finished my BLM relic tonight so I can finally start spending my eso again on gearing up my 3rd/4th classes. I wish there was some way to get more lore than the cap as long as you didn't spend it on your primary job, somehow.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Dr Pepper posted:

Wrong. He designed a SaGa game.

SaGa games are the result of some sort of eldritch pact and actually cannot be comprehended by humans at all.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Speaking of eldritch shenanigans have more TPT wall poses!

This was a good event.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Why was that even brought up again anyway? It finished.

Anyway, I notice Square don't seem to have included the level for this quest and I've not been able to take a look yet. Is it safe to assume it's level thirty like the last moonfire faire?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CrashScreen posted:

Anyway, I notice Square don't seem to have included the level for this quest and I've not been able to take a look yet. Is it safe to assume it's level thirty like the last moonfire faire?

Correctamundo.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ah, drat. There's an alt I want to do it on at level 16. Time to grind a lot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nurge posted:

Except that you know that doesn't actually happen. All you need to do is look at vanilla WoW and the original Everquest to see how optimal solutions aren't figured out for years and years and years no matter how many people try to find them or how good they are at it if the numbers aren't given to you on a platter. In fact most of the numbers were still available in those cases. Only minor obfuscation creates a system people will not break for a time. Making it completely opaque will not be solved in a meaningful timeframe.

People knew what was the go to spec early on wow because it was the only specs that worked. There was no other tank but warrior, paladin would wear cloth and be a healer because it was the only thing they could do not half bad, no one would bring a druid because it was a mess, youd use fire mage most of the time except woops that dungeon is all fire you are now screwed.

Vanilla wow was a mess balance wise, it was the point where the illusion of choice was at its worst.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
This is nice. I like this a lot.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

People knew what was the go to spec early on wow because it was the only specs that worked. There was no other tank but warrior, paladin would wear cloth and be a healer because it was the only thing they could do not half bad, no one would bring a druid because it was a mess, youd use fire mage most of the time except woops that dungeon is all fire you are now screwed.

Vanilla wow was a mess balance wise, it was the point where the illusion of choice was at its worst.

Yeah this.

A Druid's usefulness in vanilla was literally battle res, a 60 minute all-stat buff and being a mana battery with Innervate. There was no choice at all because Feral and Balance were idiotic jokes and Resto was less of a joke but playing Resto would put most people into a state of torpor. You couldn't even bring them as a main/solo healer for 5-man stuff generally because they didn't have a viable resurrection ability.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crackerjack posted:

This is nice. I like this a lot.

I am so jealous of that Green Ranger glamour. I must have a White Ranger version.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm tempted to just farm enough Moonfaire tokens so I have surplus for next year if they keep churning out fun stuff like this. I've got all three emotes, just need about 20 tokens to finish the armour set (I might skip the headpiece actually). Not sure if I'll get the music roll yet.

Just wondering, what are the money earners for CUL? It's my only high levelled crafter at the moment.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I stopped playing ages ago during an atma grind. I know it's a lot easier now but is it still worth going through?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do you want the glamour? Yes.
Do you not care about the glamour? No.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I stopped playing ages ago during an atma grind. I know it's a lot easier now but is it still worth going through?

I did the atma step recently and I'd estimate it took me about 3 hours or so for all 12. The next step though, animus, is soul crushing tedium. Been over a week of consistent play and I'm just starting the 7th book. I've been told the other steps are far easier, so time will tell.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Truga posted:

Do you want the glamour? Yes.
Do you not care about the glamour? No.

So how do you get high level weapons nowadays?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Chucat posted:

Yeah this.

A Druid's usefulness in vanilla was literally battle res, a 60 minute all-stat buff and being a mana battery with Innervate. There was no choice at all because Feral and Balance were idiotic jokes and Resto was less of a joke but playing Resto would put most people into a state of torpor. You couldn't even bring them as a main/solo healer for 5-man stuff generally because they didn't have a viable resurrection ability.

Resto druid in the early days was not so bad if you enjoyed healing. They were pretty on par with priests. Once they got swiftmend in place of innervate since it was made a core skill, they got really fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

a7m2 posted:

Buy it with tomestones

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

a7m2 posted:

Playing content that isn't wildly outdated. ARR relic is meaningless in Hwavensward. It's a nice weapon to coast to level 58 or so on but eh.

If you're talking about HW relic then just do Palace or tomestones.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks y'all. I'll grind out the atma since I just have two to go but after that I'll use the tomestones.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Atmas aren't bad. You can do that in a weekend if you've got that kind of free time. Anima books are cruel.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm tempted to just farm enough Moonfaire tokens so I have surplus for next year if they keep churning out fun stuff like this. I've got all three emotes, just need about 20 tokens to finish the armour set (I might skip the headpiece actually). Not sure if I'll get the music roll yet.

Just wondering, what are the money earners for CUL? It's my only high levelled crafter at the moment.

I skipped the headpiece. I never have them on anyway unless they leave the face open. I didn't spend all that time on anime hair and a pretty boy cat face just to put it under a mask/helmet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SonicRulez posted:

I skipped the headpiece. I never have them on anyway unless they leave the face open. I didn't spend all that time on anime hair and a pretty boy cat face just to put it under a mask/helmet.

Well the one you get with faire tokens is a coronet, not the bandana/mask combo that the Posing Rangers have.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/ba83c80215e/

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Atmas aren't bad. You can do that in a weekend if you've got that kind of free time. Anima books are cruel
yeah, but there's no point except for aesthetics, right?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/761681209525010436

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well the one you get with faire tokens is a coronet, not the bandana/mask combo that the Posing Rangers have.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/ba83c80215e/

I didn't even notice that. I'll try it on then, see if I like it.

a7m2 posted:

yeah, but there's no point except for aesthetics, right?

Well that's the point in doing...everything, isn't it?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I didn't even notice that. I'll try it on then, see if I like it.

Well that's the point in doing...everything, isn't it?

no, i want high level gear so i can play the new content with friends

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

a7m2 posted:

no, i want high level gear so i can play the new content with friends

No ARR gear is relevant in HW endgame content. The only thing is a full 135 relic (long rear end grind) can skip a step and jump straight to an i170 relic (short atma like grind).

Current ilevel max right now is 240 (have to raid right now or finish relic to get). You can get 235 weapons by completing nidhogg extreme or by upgrading your aether pool weapon to 30/30 in palace of the dead (easist high level weapon). 230 weapons are available with tomestones and a drop from the normal endgame raid or as a relic item. 220 weapons are available by killing sephirot ex. 210 weapons are either a relic item, gordian weapons (raid) or upgraded esoteric. 200 are relics and esoteric weapons. 170 weapons are purchasable with HW hunt tokens (centurio seals) and are upgradable to 180 with an item that's also purchasable with seals.

An atma relic is ilevel 100 with ilevel 90 stats and is worse than white vendor trash you can buy at the start of the expansion.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Nurge posted:

Except that you know that doesn't actually happen. All you need to do is look at vanilla WoW and the original Everquest to see how optimal solutions aren't figured out for years and years and years no matter how many people try to find them or how good they are at it if the numbers aren't given to you on a platter. In fact most of the numbers were still available in those cases. Only minor obfuscation creates a system people will not break for a time. Making it completely opaque will not be solved in a meaningful timeframe.

But this solution hugely devalues a major pleasure of playing any game with mechanics like this: making creative choices based on concrete information. You've "solved" the problem of people making decisions by kneecapping the foundation of a major part of the gameplay. They can't make decisions in this new regime because their decisions have little or no value, because they are done without access to meaningful information. It's like imagining chess, but instead of knowing exactly where you pieces will move, you have little narrative descriptions that vaguely describe the piece's properties: that might be interesting and fun, possibly a good game, but it's not anything like chess, and replicates none of the greater pleasures of chess, so it would be wrong to call it a strategy to improve chess.

I actually strongly agree that obscurantism is undervalued as a strategy in game design, it's one of my interests and that's why I'm replying, but your proposed solution goes too far, to the point of undermining the gameplay.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
heyo, I haven't played this game since like a week after Alexander launched and I'm gonna try this free login thing to get important updates on which of my favorite characters are now dead or whatever. is there any kind of "welcome back!" guide I should look for?

not looking forward to trying to relearn what the gently caress my black mage rotation was. all I remember is there are like 25 buttons and you have to hit them in the right order or you do basically zero damage :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

abraham linksys posted:

not looking forward to trying to relearn what the gently caress my black mage rotation was. all I remember is there are like 25 buttons and you have to hit them in the right order or you do basically zero damage :negative:
Enochian > Fire 3 > 2x Fire 4 > Fire > 2x Fire 4 > Blizzard 3 > Blizzard 4 > repeat twice then when Enochian runs out repeat the whole thing. Add a Thunder 1 if you get a slow MP tick and also Thundercloud as it procs. That'll make you top parse in 90% of DF groups.

(opener not included, but it's just mashing buttons like Raging/Quelling/Sharpcast, Swiftcast as needed probably to get the second Blizz4 off if you slipped on the timing, and Flare is fun but it's still Flare.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Enochian > Fire 3 > 2x Fire 4 > Fire > 2x Fire 4 > Blizzard 3 > Blizzard 4 > repeat twice then when Enochian runs out repeat the whole thing. Add a Thunder 1 if you get a slow MP tick and also Thunderbutt as it procs. That'll make you top parse in 90% of DF groups.

(opener not included, but it's just mashing buttons like Raging/Quelling/Sharpcast, Swiftcast as needed probably to get the second Blizz4 off if you slipped on the timing, and Flare is fun but it's still Flare.)
Opener is the same as the normal rotation pretty much, you just use Convert and make use of the fact that you started at the beginning of Ley Lines to squeeze in six Fire 4s, using a Sharpcast Fire 3 proc to refresh the Astral Fire timer in between.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Opener is the same as the normal rotation pretty much, you just use Convert and make use of the fact that you started at the beginning of Ley Lines to squeeze in six Fire 4s, using a Sharpcast Fire 3 proc to refresh the Astral Fire timer in between.

My opener is Sharp -> Ley -> F1 -> Raging -> Enochian -> F3proc -> (potion if I'm raiding) -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> Swiftcast -> F4 -> Convert -> F4 -> F4 -> B3 -> Thunder -> B4. You can only do the Thunder if you're a Dunesfolk Lalafell or your healer isn't a WHM because of the piety bonus.

The most important thing is to maintain Enochian. You need about 5 seconds to cast B3 + B4, but you want to start casting by the time your Enochian timer reaches 6 just so you have that little bit of buffer.

AoE is simple: F3 to get your AF stacks going, then F2 until you're almost out of MP (save 1000-ish for Flare), then Flare -> Transpose -> mash F3 so it starts casting as soon as you get a mana tick -> F2 -> F2 -> Flare. Use Swiftcast on Flare when you have it, use Convert after Flare to get another Flare off.

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 6, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why are tanks such fuckers sometimes? i duty finder into a ravana where a few people say it's their first time. as i'm explaining the arena breaking apart and the ganas the other tank just says 'they'll figure it out i'm pulling'. we ended up clearing it after having to tank LB bloody fuller but like why can't you just wait 3 minutes?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Well, he saved three minutes so looks like he was right

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think he came out behind when half our dps and one of our healers spent a quarter of the fight dead to mechanics. obviously it doesn't matter, i just hate when people don't get to actually enjoy the content because of things like that

see also: msq roulette

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 6, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

vOv posted:

The most important thing is to maintain Enochian. You need about 5 seconds to cast B3 + B4, but you want to start casting by the time your Enochian timer reaches 6 just so you have that little bit of buffer.

AoE is simple: F3 to get your AF stacks going, then F2 until you're almost out of MP (save 1000-ish for Flare), then Flare -> Transpose -> mash F3 so it starts casting as soon as you get a mana tick -> F2 -> F2 -> Flare. Use Swiftcast on Flare when you have it, use Convert after Flare to get another Flare off.

No Enochian refreshing during AoE? I usually go f3>f2>f2...Flare > transpose> b4> start over
But, i'll just go right back to the 'ol ARR aoe standard (plus enochian when it's off cooldown) if that's pointless.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

a kitten posted:

No Enochian refreshing during AoE? I usually go f3>f2>f2...Flare > transpose> b4> start over
But, i'll just go right back to the 'ol ARR aoe standard (plus enochian when it's off cooldown) if that's pointless.
It's not worth the 5% damage boost, going back to astral fire as soon as you get an MP tick maths out to more damage.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's been so refreshing leveling a tank for the past couple of weeks specifically because that can't happen to me anymore. For the most part, we move at my speed. Every once in a while I'll get a squirrely DPS that wants to pull stuff. I'll try to work with them. Like I don't generally do big pulls, but if a DPS does that then I'll give it a go. I take that as a sort of "Hurry it up, man!" But if they start doing it in spite of the rest of the party's ability (like a healer in Cutter's Cry so fresh that they're not even sure what the AST cards do) then I feel fine letting them die. It's okay to want me to do more/go faster as a tank. It's not okay to want that so badly that you're fine killing off the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
I hit level 30 yesterday as a Gladiator and got my Paladin smug sense of superiority soul. Coming in from a few MMOs (notably WoW and Guild Wars 2), I can't believe how many things FF XIV does right. I never enjoyed doing dungeons but in FF XIV I am actually looking forward to the experience! Between Halls of the Novice, random advice I got from dungeon PUGs and guild chat, I got the basics of tanking as a Paladin and have been enjoying the role immensely. I like that queueing as a tank takes no time at all. I like the friendly playerbase. I like that special events are generous and do not necessarily require a month of grinding and/or use of the real-money store.

Actually I can't stop mentally comparing the game to GW2. While FF XIV is a subscription-based game, it's cheaper than WoW and I was actually dumb optimistic enough to drop $100 on the fancy edition of Heart of Throrns, hoping that it would address some of the issues I had with ArenaNet's MMO. Ultimately Final Fantasy is just a better experience. For instance, if the Yo-Kai Watch event were in Guild Wars 2, each weapon skin would be an uncommon drop from a Black Lion chest and you'd have to pay $10 for the mount.

Besides Guild Wars 1, the MMO I enjoyed the most in the past was Age of Conan (before it went F2P). I really liked the story-driven experience of levels 1-20 and I am delighted to see FF XIV taking it a lot further. I liked the Guild Wars 2 events and while FF XIV FATEs seem to be all 'kill all X until we tell you to stop', it's always fun to see zergs of players roam the countryside. I love how there is always a lot to do and sometimes I just log in to gently caress around without a set goal. Finally, I love that the inherent silliness of random events offsets the melodrama of the main story. The current posing rangers event is excellent and it only takes 1-2 hours to do. I was leading some people through a dungeon earlier today and while two players were watching the cutscene before the final boss fight, the healer and I were just striking ranger poses.

Basically I haven't been this excited about an MMO in a long time.

• Locked thread