Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did anyone actually like the original Muv-Luv particularly? I thought all the excitement was for the sequel.

Depends what you mean by the original. Extra and Unlimited are being sold as "Muv-Luv" right now, and I think Unlimited is great.

Extra on its own is pretty unremarkable and very inconsistent. I don't know that I'd go as far as calling it bad, overall, as I found it funny and it serves its purpose in the trilogy, but between lacrosse and Ayamine and Sakaki's routes there's a lot of bad in it. If it were just a standalone VN it never would have been translated or gotten any attention. Of the VNs I've read it's definitely one of the weakest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

As someone who first read Extra and Unlimited for the first time a couple of weeks ago, my opinion of Extra went pretty much like the reviewer's. At first it was pretty OK. But starting with the lacrosse arc, the common route dragged, and after that it was kind of just bad. None of the character routes were particularly great, but Tama's was OK. Sakaki's was wasn't terrible. Sumika's route was like a single scene of making love. Meiya's was barely more than a love scene, and she suddenly turned super tsundere for some reason, which was annoying. Ayamine's was just bad.

Unlimited was OK, but it was annoying to have all character development basically removed and gone through again, but in a much shorter amount of time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Slur posted:

I personally don't. Most of the characters he voices gets on my nerves.

Aww. Nao's voice in Nurse Love Addiction is super adorable and is one of the reasons I fell in love with the game so fast. I hope her bad ending doesn't ruin her too badly.

Edit: Though the MC and Sakuyas' voices are so similar that in scenes with just the two of them it almost sounds like a girl talking to herself in slightly different tones.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 3, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MegaZeroX posted:

As someone who first read Extra and Unlimited for the first time a couple of weeks ago, my opinion of Extra went pretty much like the reviewer's. At first it was pretty OK. But starting with the lacrosse arc, the common route dragged, and after that it was kind of just bad. None of the character routes were particularly great, but Tama's was OK. Sakaki's was wasn't terrible. Sumika's route was like a single scene of making love. Meiya's was barely more than a love scene, and she suddenly turned super tsundere for some reason, which was annoying. Ayamine's was just bad.

Unlimited was OK, but it was annoying to have all character development basically removed and gone through again, but in a much shorter amount of time.
For what it's worth I think this is pretty much the "right" reaction to have in preparation for Alternative. I know I was super lukewarm on Extra and thought Unlimited was just decent at best. I'm not one of those people who thinks Alternative is the greatest VN ever made or whatever but I definitely got pretty engrossed with it and despite all the issues I had with Extra/Unlimited in retrospect it made perfect sense why they were the way they were.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Aww. Nao's voice in Nurse Love Addiction is super adorable and is one of the reasons I fell in love with the game so fast. I hope her bad ending doesn't ruin her too badly.

Edit: Though the MC and Sakuyas' voices are so similar that in scenes with just the two of them it almost sounds like a girl talking to herself in slightly different tones.
I turned the VO off as soon as I started. I almost forgot it even exists. That's not to say it's terrible, because I think I'd have done the same even if I really liked it. I find something about unvoiced narration with voiced dialogue really disconcerting, even when it's in a language I don't speak very well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Are there any visual novels that actually have voiced narration?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are there any visual novels that actually have voiced narration?

https://vndb.org/g836

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Important:

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/761087936037130241

Everyone vote for Kenka Banchou Otome.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I'm sure Kenka Banchou Otome is perfectly serviceable, but come on, your vote has to go to 428.

Though to be honest as long as you don't vote for one of the titles that's already available in English you're fine.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Everyone vote for Kenka Banchou Otome.
It has a very persuasive title, I'll give it that much.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Kenka Bancho Otome is about a girl who is suddenly forced go to school in place of her long-lost twin brother.

The school is full of delinquents and her long-lost twin brother, as the heir of an important yakuza family, is expected to conquer the school and sit at the top, so you, "regular" high school girl who is extremely strong, have to show all these hot delinquent dumbasses that you're the king and you run this goddamn neighborhood.

Also you have to pass as a boy, which results in predictable hijinks and ends with you and one of the boys in your gang falling in love.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Man, some of the bad endings in Nurse Love Addiction are incredible. :magical:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SoggyBobcat posted:

Man, some of the bad endings in Nurse Love Addiction are incredible. :magical:
I haven't decided if I'm going to do them yet. I'm not sure I want to see them.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FractalSandwich posted:

I haven't decided if I'm going to do them yet. I'm not sure I want to see them.

Having just seen Itsuki's bad ending, I can confirm that it's worth seeing just to watch it go from depressing to incredibly hosed up at the very end once you realise what the story is implying.

Some more general notes on the game now that I've played through to an ending, in case anyone is still on the fence about it (and hasn't already been unsold by my earlier post):

* It's the kind of story where pretty much every character is a lesbian if their sexuality comes up in the game at all, and everyone treats this as completely normal and unremarkable. Nobody angsts about the difficulties of same-sex relationships. They angst about many other things, but not that.
* The translation is pretty good overall, but it could have used a little more time checking it over; there are a few noticeable technical issues like bits of text overflowing the window in places, although you can still see any cut-off text by checking the backlog.
* As others have said, the game does mostly drop the nursing school slice-of-life stuff and go into full-on Trauma-Center-meets-Days-of-our-Lives mode once you're locked into one character's route, but that's not until about 75% of the way through the game, at least for Itsuki's route.
* The protagonist does eventually grow a spine (again, on Itsuki's route: I can't speak for the others yet). It is a welcome development when it happens, even if she doesn't always achieve much with it.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 4, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

I already voted for Kenka Bancho Otome, though I did also send a tweet begging for Shiren too.

A vote for Kenka Bancho is a vote for freedom. :patriot:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

jellycat posted:

Kenka Bancho Otome is about a girl who is suddenly forced go to school in place of her long-lost twin brother.

The school is full of delinquents and her long-lost twin brother, as the heir of an important yakuza family, is expected to conquer the school and sit at the top, so you, "regular" high school girl who is extremely strong, have to show all these hot delinquent dumbasses that you're the king and you run this goddamn neighborhood.

Also you have to pass as a boy, which results in predictable hijinks and ends with you and one of the boys in your gang falling in love.

I voted for KBO so I can finally live out my HS dreams and date cute guys while ruling the town. I feel like the chances of them localizing is still pretty slim though :smith:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Alder posted:

I voted for KBO so I can finally live out my HS dreams and date cute guys while ruling the town. I feel like the chances of them localizing is still pretty slim though :smith:

It's only 5% behind 428 at this point putting it in second place at the moment.

vv yes agree

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 4, 2016

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
They're all good games and they should all get localized and I hope that this is secretly a way of getting people excited for all of them.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

jellycat posted:

They're all good games and they should all get localized and I hope that this is secretly a way of getting people excited for all of them.

Kamaitachi and Shiren have both been localised already, though, so it would just be a steam port for them. Not terribly exciting.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

NRVNQSR posted:

Kamaitachi and Shiren have both been localised already, though, so it would just be a steam port for them. Not terribly exciting.

Some people don't have a Vita or don't want to play stuff on their phones. I'd be excited for both of them to reach wider audiences!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I doubt there's an actual decision being made between localizing a game and just porting an already localized one over. The two tasks don't exactly share the same resources. I feel like if they're considering both 428 and Kenka Bancho Otome then one of those are going to get brought over no matter what. Maybe them seeing a lot of support for Shiren will also make them consider a port for that as well. This is just a twitter poll, it's not like they're bound by the results or will only ever do one of the things on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I prefer mystery visual novels so i voted for 428. I remember the critical acclaim it got, it's also probably unplayable without a professional translation unlike the others

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished Steins;Gate's True Ending for the first time and enjoyed it quite a bit. I had tried playing it before and it didn't quite click with me, though I'm really glad I gave it a second chance. Highlight must have been the credits sequence rewinding on the True Ending path. It totally got me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I voted for 428 but man I wish that Kamaitachi Android port that was promised "months" after the English iOS release had every materialised :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'd just like to thank people who posted warnings about that one scene in Nurse Love so I could skip past it as soon as I saw it coming. I sort of understand from the context now why it happened but the MC is still a moron for only being able to think of that as the only possible way to fix the situation. Also this stupid game keeps teasing cameos from the 1st game and then not delivering on them. They name drop one of the girls from the first game in passing, and then set up perfect situations (why don't the girls get paired up with the girls from the 1st game during their hospital visit?? Why did you tease a perpetually-hospitalized young girl and then have it not be the one from the 1st game? Are you afraid everyone will see how much better those characters were than these?)

But I'm being too hard on the game. I think I'd actually enjoy the whole thing a lot more if it were told from someone else's perspective. Maybe Nao.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Getsuya posted:

Maybe Nao.

I'm not so sure about that...

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Schubalts posted:

I'm not so sure about that...

:mrgw:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

finally, chapter 9 of chaos head and it got interesting (in a dumb way) but still

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I tried Chaos;Head once and after reading the main character go on for like two hours about how awful "3D women" are I just had to drop it.

I'm thinking I should give it another chance since I ended up liking Steins;Gate but still.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Huh. Yeah. They just backloaded All Of The Interesting poo poo into the second to last chapter of Chaos Head

Genuinely surprised by the identity of the New Gen criminal over here

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There we go. Ending A of Chaos Head sucked. Ending AA salvaged it. I dunno about B, I'm probably not going to play the entire game again to see it, but the internet is telling me it's bad.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 6, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Finished Root Double. The kids were boring characters, but the adults were great. Thank goodness you only have to deal with the worst, most boring one during the first route, but having to deal with the second worst for the rest of the game was bad. Main character of Route A is the best though and I wish it'd been more about his perspective.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I was gonna say "Maybe the anime I found out just now that exists, is a better way to experience Chaos Head?" They even adapted the only ending out of the three that matters. But it's apparently only 12 episodes long, so uh, maybe not.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Steins;Gate was a fluke.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It's weird though I mean Steins Gate has a lot of plot threads that come together really well, I don't know how you do that by accident

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Steins;Gate isn't a fluke.

Hayashi Naotaka was the main writer on both Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, but Shimakura Vio, credited as 'scenario assistance' and whose job was to make sure all the time travel plot twists came together logically, did not work on chaos;head.

in other words, big shoutouts to Vio.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also of course the unfortunate bit about being a fan of visual novels where Chaos Head has an enhanced remake with new plot threads, routes, and better pacing, on the Xbox 360, that I'll never get to experience.

Although I am interested in the fact that the latest Science Adventure game is a six-years-later sequel to Chaos Head, but I will also probably never get to play that in English.

Maybe it's time to try learning Japanese again?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I was gonna say "Maybe the anime I found out just now that exists, is a better way to experience Chaos Head?" They even adapted the only ending out of the three that matters. But it's apparently only 12 episodes long, so uh, maybe not.

No no no no no no no. The anime is even worse than the game.

voltcatfish posted:

Also of course the unfortunate bit about being a fan of visual novels where Chaos Head has an enhanced remake with new plot threads, routes, and better pacing, on the Xbox 360, that I'll never get to experience.

Although I am interested in the fact that the latest Science Adventure game is a six-years-later sequel to Chaos Head, but I will also probably never get to play that in English.

Maybe it's time to try learning Japanese again?

Yeah Chaos;Child is an interquel set between Stein's;Gate and Robotics;Notes but it's very much a sequel to Chaos;Head in premise.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Robotics;Notes is extremely loving boring, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Robotics;Notes is extremely loving boring, right?

Pretty much.