Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Was there a book, Legends and/or current canon, that dealt with how Leia dealt with her biological father's identity? I think I remember reading that she wasn't as quick to accept it as Luke was but that was so long ago I could have just imagined it.

She has a lot of "introspective" moments about it in the C-tier Bantam era trilogies like the Black Fleet Crisis and maybe Jedi Academy. These moments usually consist of her being an unbelievably lovely politician, Fey'lya or someone else making a snide comment about how her heritage is showing, and then her being an even shittier politician to try to show that she isn't actually Darth Vader 2.0.

Tatooine Ghost is the only halfway-good Star Wars book by Denning and revolves around her exploration of Anakin's childhood on Tatooine, and she finally* makes peace with her father's legacy.

*Tatooine Ghost actually takes place before any of the books where she flips her poo poo about it, but gently caress it.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Was there a book, Legends and/or current canon, that dealt with how Leia dealt with her biological father's identity? I think I remember reading that she wasn't as quick to accept it as Luke was but that was so long ago I could have just imagined it.

The recently released Bloodline deals with this in a BIG way to the point of her getting suspected of being a traitor to the New Republic due to her heritage

Back in Legends, Anakin's Force Ghost appears to Leia in Truce at Bakura, asking for forgiveness. She basically tells him to gently caress off because while she can accept on an intellectual level what Luke told her about Vader's redemption is true, she's not in any hurry to forgive the man who tortured her and helped destroy her planet.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 1, 2016

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

The recently released Bloodlines deals with this in a BIG way to the point of her getting suspected of being a traitor to the New Republic due to her heritage

Back in Legends, Anakin's Force Ghost appears to Leia in Truce at Bakura, asking for forgiveness. She basically tells him to gently caress off because while she can accept on an intellectual level what Luke told her about Vader's redemption is true, she's not in any hurry to forgive the man who tortured her and helped destroy her planet.

Okay the Truce at Bakura was the one I though I remembered hearing about, thanks! I think at some point I'll pick up these 2 and Tatooine Ghost.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Okay the Truce at Bakura was the one I though I remembered hearing about, thanks! I think at some point I'll pick up these 2 and Tatooine Ghost.

Make sure you get the right one. I fixed my post, but Bloodline is the one that just came out, Bloodlines is the 2nd book of the Legacy of the Force series from several years ago

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There's absolutely no reason to subject yourself to Truce at Bakura for one scene.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jazerus posted:

There's absolutely no reason to subject yourself to Truce at Bakura for one scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Truce at Bakura isn't terrible, but like Planet of Twilight, it feels more like a Star Trek story than a Star Wars story. I could easily see a TNG episode where the Romulans and the Federation team up to deal with an alien fleet of swarm ships. There are decent moments in Truce and Bakura, but overall it isn't worth it unless you want to see Luke use the force to pull space leeches out of his throat and dinosaurs shooting numbing lasers. The Vader asking Leia's forgiveness moment is the best part in the book, but it is completely removed from everything else that is happening.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Truce at Bakura start the Bantam era tradition of Luke getting a new love interest in every book?

(At least, I feel that would be a worthy entry for the Star Wars EU Bantam Bingo. :v:)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

How many love interests did Luke actually end up with? Off the top of my head I can remember Garael, Callista and Mara Jade. I feel like there was at least one more though...

Edit: Jem Ysanna! Who died unceremoniously. Surprise surprise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't Cray Mingla also count, because she gave up her body for Callista?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't he have one in his "I can tell you who your mother was!" subplot in the Black Fleet Crisis?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't he have one in his "I can tell you who your mother was!" subplot in the Black Fleet Crisis?

It's been a while since I reread that one..but I seem to remember the romance being pretty low-key because Luke was much more fixated on everything else; like they were teasing it as a possibility without making it central

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There were some in comics but since they don't get referenced often you're pretty safe to ignore them. Technically Lumiya was a love interest at one point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is the thread's opinion on The Old Republic's plot? I keep considering playing it, but then I do some research on the setting and I just get annoyed at how typically Bioware it is, and how the Sith Emperor is one of the worst villains I've seen in the EU.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The black fleet crisis had that god awful whining Akanah, or whatever her name was. The one who ended up lying her rear end off about lukes mom. The read through on that series was great too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

VaultAggie posted:

The black fleet crisis had that god awful whining Akanah, or whatever her name was. The one who ended up lying her rear end off about lukes mom. The read through on that series was great too.

She was a Falleen, right? What is it with Skywalkers and Sex Lizards

Edit: oh. I remembered wrong. Thanks for clearing that up Wookiepedia

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Akanah, who consistently has a totally inconsistent personality and literally only exists to remove Luke from his position as competent problem solver for the duration of a trilogy that would have been resolved much faster with such a person around.

Edit: Like as soon as he rejoins the rest of the cast in the last few chapters the huge crisis that everyone is freaking out about for three books is instantly resolved.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is the thread's opinion on The Old Republic's plot? I keep considering playing it, but then I do some research on the setting and I just get annoyed at how typically Bioware it is, and how the Sith Emperor is one of the worst villains I've seen in the EU.

I tried playing it a while back when it had a free weekend (back before it was free to play). I just couldn't get into it, though to be fair I also didn't have a lot of time to spend on it. I haven't really been tempted to try again, though, especially since I still have to try the KOTOR II total restoration mod.

I've always heard the Imperial Agent storyline is really good, though. The guy who wrote it also wrote the recent Battlefront tie-in novel and is doing the Rogue One novelization.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm probably biased but, in my opinion, TOR is your typical Bioware story: simple, predictable, and eye-rollingly bad. Which would be fine on it's own if it hadn't taken some of the best Star Wars ever made(KOTOR 2) and shot it between the eyes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't mind the Emperor (at least up til the KOTFE expansion where he kinda goes off the rails) but it is pretty generic. Agent story is pretty decent though

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

StashAugustine posted:

I didn't mind the Emperor (at least up til the KOTFE expansion where he kinda goes off the rails) but it is pretty generic. Agent story is pretty decent though

Agent story is about the only thing that could bring me back, since I stopped playing a long time ago after buying it full price on its release. I opted to start with Jedi Consular, which I gather is the lamest story and even found that at least interesting. Being FemShep bounty hunter and full-on Chiss suave Imperial agent were the other two characters I started, and both seemed to have more going for them.

Maybe when I eventually get a better computer I'll get back around to it. I did reinstall it somewhat recently, but it just didn't quite run well enough for me to commit to it whole hog.

I do recommend it to any fan of both Star Wars and MMOs though, it certainly did its story segments better than other MMOs I've played and while the quests/group battles will mostly be standard MMO fare you can stick to just the story quests/convenient other quests in the area and cruise up the levels and see a complete story, at least that's how it was when I played (and also before multiple expansions, so there's even more out there if you want it).

Goddamn I should have started with something like Agent/Smuggler/Bounty Hunter though, I bet those stories are sick as hell compared to Consular. Once again, if you do want to try it out start with Agent, even only getting through about the middle of Act 1 it was way more compelling than other characters I played, you're basically Star Wars James Bond only with the ability to actually change your accent, stick to a cover ID and not get captured. Basically Emperor's Hand Mara Jade without any force powers is one way to look at it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 4, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Canemacar posted:

I'm probably biased but, in my opinion, TOR is your typical Bioware story: simple, predictable, and eye-rollingly bad. Which would be fine on it's own if it hadn't taken some of the best Star Wars ever made(KOTOR 2) and shot it between the eyes.

This was my big problem with TOR. I tried it at F2P and it felt very, very Bioware. It doesn't help that the setting is basically Star Wars But In The Past And Everything Is The Same but they have characters who are basically ones we've already seen (Scorpio and EDI, for example).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I liked the consular story but the first act is boring as hell. The recent changes did make the story somewhat better in that you can actually knock out a class story in like 8-10 hours due to the faster leveling curve so it doesn't drag as much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imperial Agent has you fighting the Space Illuminati and doing triple-crosses and poo poo, it's great.
Smuggler has you hunting down the guy who stole your ship and then when you get your ship back you chase a legendary treasure across the Galaxy to get it before him because gently caress that guy. It's great.
Republic Soldier has you betrayed by your squad of elite commandos who each has a distinct personality and weird speciality and then you hunt them down across the Galaxy like a Metal Gear game. It's great.
What I've seen of the Sith stories also looked fun, with the Sorcerer basically acting like Freeza all the time and plenty of backs-tabbing shenanigans with the Sith lords.

It should be noted I've yet to actually finish the game and apparently everything to do with the Emperor is bad so who knows.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

IMO the emperor works as a faceless villain but when you actually dig into his backstory its stupid as gently caress. Trooper started strong and then kinda fell apart. Warrior is cool if you play lightside as the Only Sane Sith and freak out all the Jedi by not wantonly murdering everyone in sight.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd like to play online KOTOR but all my goon gaming circle buddies despise or simply don't have the time for MMO's :smith:.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd be down: I'm always trying to find people to play MMOs with me (my friends mostly stick with the same ones while I'm spastic and switch games all the time)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If we get a SA SWOTOR EU THREAD NERD group going I'm happy to download the MMO and join in, just hope some of you are EU. Then again I don't mind staying up late most nights.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember reading a recent joke theory that the light/dark endings of KOTOR are what lead to the old EU and the new continuity, since according to the old EU the light side endings of KOTOR I and II are canon, but in the new EU there was almost Darth Revan in Clone Wars and Malachor still exists in Rebels (as it only gets destroyed in dark side KOTOR II ending).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember reading a recent joke theory that the light/dark endings of KOTOR are what lead to the old EU and the new continuity, since according to the old EU the light side endings of KOTOR I and II are canon, but in the new EU there was almost Darth Revan in Clone Wars and Malachor still exists in Rebels (as it only gets destroyed in dark side KOTOR II ending).

Which is a stupid reason and to hell with you for reminding me Malachor existed in Rebels. I still fail to understand why The Clone Wars and Rebels choose to make references to the old EU but then strip the references of anything that made the old content meaningful. Malachor in Rebels is just "wasteland planet with evil temple on it", and that's it. It's a name drop and nothing more, whereas Malachor V from KOTOR 1/2 is a major symbol of both the lightside/darkside dichotomy as well as a huge social issue for the atrocities committed there, as well as a historically relevant moment that marked the end of the Mandalorian Wars. Now, I get that you can't go into too much detail in a kids show without bogging it down (Malachor V has a good thirty hour game to build up its importance), but if you remove what is important about Malachor, you might as well not use it at all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's why I've kind of cooled on Thrawn being on Rebels after the initial rush.

Originally Thrawn was a big deal because he almost took down the New Republic and was the big last stand of the Empire (even if later books kind of watered that down).

In Rebels he's going to be a big deal because... he's going to help take down a teenage graffiti artist and some smugglers with the help of the Empire that's already at its height and also Darth Maul.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

If we get a SA SWOTOR EU THREAD NERD group going I'm happy to download the MMO and join in, just hope some of you are EU. Then again I don't mind staying up late most nights.

You'll know it's me if the character has a stupid name like "Blaculina" or "Thehumantornado".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd like to play online KOTOR but all my goon gaming circle buddies despise or simply don't have the time for MMO's :smith:.

TOR is a bit meh until you get to the latest expansion. That is absolutely spectacular.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think the eternal empire is utterly stupid and exists only as a copout so bioware didn't have to piss off half their player base by definitively declaring who won the cold war. No just have emperor unlimited power defeat both sides so we can both fight this new completely relevant super sith with robots threat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the latest shenanigans about Rogue One? Someone in a thread in BSS said it's been taken away from Edwards and given to someone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the latest shenanigans about Rogue One? Someone in a thread in BSS said it's been taken away from Edwards and given to someone else.

Considering the film appears to be finished doing filming and is probably into editing and post, I'd say it's bullshit with only a marginal chance some B camera crew needed to do some reshoots

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's reactionary bullshit. He's working with an experienced editor who's new to the production, that's all.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well I bought and finished Aftermath this week. I liked it but it felt like there were too many references and shout outs, and really blunt references at that. The droid Bones felt like an attempt to graft HK-47 into the story and it didn't really click for me. The author also has a weird way of phrasing some times, multiple characters are described as raising their one arm, which kept giving me the impression that they were amputees, with only one arm, but no.

And the last few chapters really stretched the believability of the coincidences, coming together. But I liked the setting and the interludes were a good and economical way to flesh out the galaxy. I also didn't pay attention the controversy when the book was first published, so thought it revolved round to minor relatives, it wasn't until about the half way point I began to twig as to what the fuss was really about. A shame because that was the most interesting of the new characters.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Just started reading Once Upon a Galaxy: A Journal of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back by Alan Arnold, the film's publicist. It's pretty interesting so far (but then again I'm biased because I love reading behind-the-scenes things like that). He recounts that in November of 1978 Irvin Kershner flew out alone to the summit of the glacier near Finse, Norway in order to visualize the Hoth setting. Kershner asks that the helicopter head back to base camp and he'll radio in when he needs to be picked up. After a few hours up there, with night falling, the temperature almost -20F, and "wearing clothes better suited through a stroll through (London's) Hyde Park in winter" Kershner radios in only to find out that the helicopter has had engine trouble and can't take off. Somehow the 56 year old Kershner manages to hike the four miles back to base.

:psyduck:

Starting out like that how was ESB not a disaster?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hyde Park is loving brutal in winter so I'm sure he was in no danger.

e: the chicago one at least