Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle. She was skeptical at first when I pretty much made her try it. I stayed with her during the beginning and helped her when she got stuck. Then she started playing it while I was at work too. Her biggest obstacles ended up being puzzles that required you to talk to people over and over. I had to remind her several times about that. She got stuck on Fred and the contract and then purple Tentacle at the end.

My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

Did she beat Maniac Mansion as well thinking it was part of the full game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

Did she beat Maniac Mansion as well thinking it was part of the full game?

Nah. I told her what it was when she pulled it up. I'm debating on whether or not I should make her play it next or something else.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

cosmicjim posted:

My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle. She was skeptical at first when I pretty much made her try it. I stayed with her during the beginning and helped her when she got stuck. Then she started playing it while I was at work too. Her biggest obstacles ended up being puzzles that required you to talk to people over and over. I had to remind her several times about that. She got stuck on Fred and the contract and then purple Tentacle at the end.

My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

My 11 year old daughter is obsessed with Undertale and I was watching her play it the other day and noticed how much it reminded me of Earthbound so I set up a SNES emulator for her and she's been playing Earthbound a ton over the past couple days. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cosmicjim posted:

Nah. I told her what it was when she pulled it up. I'm debating on whether or not I should make her play it next or something else.

Get her to play Monkey Island next, duh! :v:

Also I finished Geist. It's not bad, but it is a hard 6/10. The general possession/impersonation stuff is fun, especially mid/late game when you see Raimi start getting creative with scaring people to make them possessable beyond mere jump scares, but the late-game combat suuucks. The Demon Bosses have far too much health in general, and at the endgame you start fighting other spirits. Those motherfuckers possess you and try to kill you by walking you off a cliff, into gunfire, etc. The only way to get them out is to mash A, and even that requires mashing the poo poo out of the button for a good 5-10 seconds to fill the meter and evict them from your body.

It's worth a look, but you really gotta want to try it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

FireMrshlBill posted:

Holy poo poo, a Sony PVM-20M4U popped up on Craigslist in my area an hour ago for $50. Usually you cannot get a 9" around here for less than $300. I responded saying I'll take it, lets hope no other night owls responded first.

And the guy responded and said it was listed wrong and should have been $100... great.

Should I go for it still? Like I said most PVM's I have seen in the last year or so on CL go for well over $200, even the smaller screens, because people know retro gamers are seeking them out.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

And the guy responded and said it was listed wrong and should have been $100... great.

Should I go for it still? Like I said most PVM's I have seen in the last year or so on CL go for well over $200, even the smaller screens, because people know retro gamers are seeking them out.

The spiteful man in me wants me to tell him thanks but no thanks because he doubled the price but if it's still hundreds cheaper than usual I'd say go for it. Just google his cell number or something to make sure he's not a psycho.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oops I accidentally typed 50 instead of 100 multiple times, through multiple prompts, and then didn't edit it for however long, and now I want 2x the cost once I realized the value

I'd tell him to get hosed

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oops I accidentally typed 50 instead of 100 multiple times, through multiple prompts, and then didn't edit it for however long, and now I want 2x the cost once I realized the value

I'd tell him to get hosed

Yeah he's probably telling other people he meant $150, doing some bizarre ebay type selling.

I'd be annoyed but I know how it feels to finally come across something you've been looking for for ages. Ask me about my 3 brand new 25" arcade CRTs that I'm hoarding (actually don't).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any recommendations on good titles from this era?

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Absolutely not. He's trying to bait-n-switch you. This might be against the craigslist TOS? If so, report his rear end.

_____!
May 2, 2004

GutBomb posted:

My 11 year old daughter is obsessed with Undertale...I set up a SNES emulator for her and she's been playing Earthbound a ton over the past couple days. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

cosmicjim posted:

My 10 year old daughter just finished Day of the Tentacle...My new proudest moment at as a father. Not that she finished it(because I helped her), but because she enjoyed it.

Both of you receive joint custody of the "greatest parents award". Raising those children right. I look forward to their posts in 6-8 years complaining that someone sniped an auction for a SNES game and the subsequent post by either of you about the great deal you got outbidding them. :D

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I would pay $100 for a PVM that's >9".

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, he already sold it. I know I was the first one to respond, since he responded to me saying he meant $100 at 7am. Then sent me another email at 9am saying he added two pictures of it showing it working. By the time I read those emails at 11am, his listing was already down. Sent him an email inquiring about the pictures and he responded saying the monitor is sold.

What an rear end. I always give the first person who responded first dibs and a reasonable amount of time to respond. He listed it at 12:50 last night and I responded to it at 1:40. I doubt someone else was up and happened to see it within that time, plus he responded to me like it was mine if I was ok with the $100 and even posted extra pictures for me.

So I sent an email laying the guilt trip. Some people are just asses. Oh well, I'm still happy with my Trinitron CRT and would have had to do some serious rearranging for it anyway. Maybe when I buy a house in the next year and have more room, another one will pop up at a reasonable price. Whats another ~14 months of having CL send me alerts when PVM/BVM listings appear...

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, he already sold it. I know I was the first one to respond, since he responded to me saying he meant $100 at 7am. Then sent me another email at 9am saying he added two pictures of it showing it working. By the time I read those emails at 11am, his listing was already down. Sent him an email inquiring about the pictures and he responded saying the monitor is sold.

What an rear end. I always give the first person who responded first dibs and a reasonable amount of time to respond. He listed it at 12:50 last night and I responded to it at 1:40. I doubt someone else was up and happened to see it within that time, plus he responded to me like it was mine if I was ok with the $100 and even posted extra pictures for me.

So I sent an email laying the guilt trip. Some people are just asses. Oh well, I'm still happy with my Trinitron CRT and would have had to do some serious rearranging for it anyway. Maybe when I buy a house in the next year and have more room, another one will pop up at a reasonable price. Whats another ~14 months of having CL send me alerts when PVM/BVM listings appear...

Really? I've always assumed as a buyer or seller that standard protocol was to sell to the first person who shows up with cash. There's so many flakes especially on CL that you'd be dumb to hold an item for anyone no matter how many emails. Sucks to miss a deal but I don't think that guy did anything wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was lovely doubling the price but first come first serve is expected with classified ads and whoever bought it probably offered more money to do so.

As for golf games the GBA Mario Golf will always be my favorite and I wish Sports RPGs were more of a thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

N64 Mario golf for life

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Really? I've always assumed as a buyer or seller that standard protocol was to sell to the first person who shows up with cash. There's so many flakes especially on CL that you'd be dumb to hold an item for anyone no matter how many emails. Sucks to miss a deal but I don't think that guy did anything wrong.

Well, I don't like people coming by my house, so I arrange for meet up and usually give the first person who responded a chance so we can set it up. Its not like it took me 1/2 a day, I just didn't respond at 9am on a Saturday morning. Oh well, I'm stuck working all day and wouldn't be able to get it until tomorrow anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

al-azad posted:

As for golf games the GBA Mario Golf will always be my favorite and I wish Sports RPGs were more of a thing.

Thanks for the recommendation! Looking forward to checking it out.

N64 golf was great, btw.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

On another note. I thought I had Phantasy Star IV on Genesis, but looked at my shelf and noticed it was PS3 instead. So looking to get PS4 for when I do a FF3(FF6)/PS4 back-to-back play through and comparison.

I'm not a hardcore genesis collector (don't even have a Genesis console and just use a Retrogen and Retron5). So is $3 Steam version worth playing? Or are there any bugs/issues that makes just dropping $40 on a PS4 cart worth it?

I usually go for carts with most Nintendo/PS/Xbox games, but not a concerned about Genesis games. So if the Steam port is true to the original Genesis release (so I can do a legit comparison between FF3/FF6 and PS4 in their original state), then I'm fine not having the cart on my shelf.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
That's just how most people on Craigslist roll. Best bet is to see a thing and tell them to meet now. Who needs a job?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

On another note. I thought I had Phantasy Star IV on Genesis, but looked at my shelf and noticed it was PS3 instead. So looking to get PS4 for when I do a FF3(FF6)/PS4 back-to-back play through and comparison.

I'm not a hardcore genesis collector (don't even have a Genesis console and just use a Retrogen and Retron5). So is $3 Steam version worth playing? Or are there any bugs/issues that makes just dropping $40 on a PS4 cart worth it?

I usually go for carts with most Nintendo/PS/Xbox games, but not a concerned about Genesis games. So if the Steam port is true to the original Genesis release (so I can do a legit comparison between FF3/FF6 and PS4 in their original state), then I'm fine not having the cart on my shelf.

All the Genesis era games on the Steam site are the exact console ROMs in a very nice emulator package. If you don't like how that emulator works, you can pull the ROM out of your steam folder and use another emulator you prefer, but it's pretty accurate as is.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, PS4 is a JRPG, so it's going to be fine on drat near anything that has a Genesis emulator.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Not that it matters much, but does anyone know what emulator they use? I understand it's encapsulated in some 3D "hub," but I'm guessing it's based on GenesisPlus GX or Fusion.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Retropie people, I've got some questions.

Cases. I want to set up one Pi 3 as a portable game console. I've got a couple of those cheap-o $5 plastic shells, but they aren't interesting. I'll probably use those for other Pi based projects. For the portable game console I keep in my backpack, I want a fun game console looking case. I have access to 3D printers, laser cutters, and other tooling to build my own. Anyone have some links to cool models for Pi cases with a retro gaming flavor?

RGB out. I noticed the Pi 3 has two video outputs: HDMI and composite video. Is there a way I could somehow get RGB + sync out to run a Pi 3 with MAME on an arcade monitor? Going the other route of converting HDMI to RGB seems pretty expensive and likely to introduce some latency. Same with converting the composite video to RGB, which would also be a lower quality signal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

azurite posted:

Not that it matters much, but does anyone know what emulator they use? I understand it's encapsulated in some 3D "hub," but I'm guessing it's based on GenesisPlus GX or Fusion.
It's an older emulator called jEnesis that was designed for the Nintendo DS, that Sega Europe seem to love licensing for some bizarre reason.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The 3DO section of the OP is a bit light on what it can do, so I figured I'd make a few notes you could probably add, maybe.

The 3DO was somewhat popular in Japan since they seemed to get several exclusive games for the console over there, such as a Sailor Moon 2D fighting game and, oddly, TWO adventure/racing game hybrid games based on the Wacky Races franchise of all thing (I happen to own all those). It's an early CD system so you could get away with burning your own CDs or using Japanese CDs on it as there's no region locking.

There are no memory cards for the system, but does allow save games in its internal storage. The 3DO version of Gex is the only console version of the game released at the time to support save data, whereas the other ports used a password system. Save management is handled through software; you need a game (or some demo discs/sampler discs that were included with the system originally) that has the required software to do any sort of file management. One game, The Horde, is notorious for using up all storage capacity with its saves; rather than warn you that you lack adequate space or prevent you from saving, the game will instead delete any save data on the system to make room for its save. Allegedly there is a "patched" version of the game that you could get by sending in your copy of the game to the publisher, but I have no idea how many copies of those are out there or if they're that valuable.

The primary controller is a three-button layout like the Genesis, with two shoulder buttons and two middle buttons that function like pause/select. There's only one controller port on the 3DO. To play multiplayer games, 3DO controllers have a controller port attached to them so you can daisy-chain controllers into one another, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. The controllers also have a headphone jack. The connector is the same common DE9 connector found on the Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, etc., however the 3DO DE9 will fry your Genesis/2600 controller if you attempt to use it. A common issue with the 3DO controller is that it doesn't register diagonal movements well, most noticeable with fighting games. The problem is that the controller shell is "overtightened" and can be resolved by loosening the screws in the back of the controller just a little bit. There's a rare 6-button variant that was released around the time Super Street Fighter II Turbo was released, good luck finding one at a reasonable price. If you wanna know how Street Fighter plays on the standard 3DO controller, one of the six attack buttons is mapped to the middle button next to "pause".

Other cult games I'd add would be the various odd FPS titles that were released for the system: Killing Time, PO'ed, and Immercenary.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mercury Crusader posted:

There are no memory cards for the system, but does allow save games in its internal storage. The 3DO version of Gex is the only console version of the game released at the time to support save data, whereas the other ports used a password system. Save management is handled through software; you need a game (or some demo discs/sampler discs that were included with the system originally) that has the required software to do any sort of file management. One game, The Horde, is notorious for using up all storage capacity with its saves; rather than warn you that you lack adequate space or prevent you from saving, the game will instead delete any save data on the system to make room for its save. Allegedly there is a "patched" version of the game that you could get by sending in your copy of the game to the publisher, but I have no idea how many copies of those are out there or if they're that valuable.

You forgot to mention that there is a save memory expansion/backup device for certain units: the Japan-release-only FZ-EM256 unit plugs into models with the expansion bay and in conjunction with the disc that came with it you can use its 256 kilobytes of storage - the 3DO internal storage is 32 kilobytes so you can have 8 different whole save areas backed up at once. This works on most of the American console models as well as most Japan console models.

Pricey as hell these days, of course, and probably was back then too:

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 6, 2016

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

If you're going to get a 3DO, get one of the Panasonic models. Goldstars and Sanyos have a high failure rate and aren't fully compatible with the entire library. The Panasonic FZ-10 (the flip top disc tray one) has a save file manager built in and is generally the most reliable model but good luck finding one for less than $200.

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's an early CD system so you could get away with burning your own CDs or using Japanese CDs on it as there's no region locking.

There is no region locking but if I remember correctly non-Japanese models lack the chip that handles kanji characters.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
all these motherfuckers forgetting the pinnacle of video game golf

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Do not even ask posted:

There is no region locking but if I remember correctly non-Japanese models lack the chip that handles kanji characters.

Didn't seem to cause an issue with my games in particular. My guess is that the 3DO just doesn't load the characters at all but still plays the game normally. With the Sailor Moon fighting game, text is in romanji anyway. With the Wacky Races games, the menu stuff is in romanji, and I didn't see any kanji whatsoever during cutscenes and dialog. I assumed they didn't put text as the games are fully voice-acted anyway, but it could've been trying to draw the kanji characters but never did so they were absent.

fishmech posted:

You forgot to mention that there is a save memory expansion/backup device for certain units: the Japan-release-only FZ-EM256 unit plugs into models with the expansion bay and in conjunction with the disc that came with it you can use its 256 kilobytes of storage - the 3DO internal storage is 32 kilobytes so you can have 8 different whole save areas backed up at once. This works on most of the American console models as well as most Japan console models.

Pricey as hell these days, of course, and probably was back then too:

I wasn't even thinking about Japanese-exclusive hardware but ouch.

There's also a version of the 3DO that's a PC ISA expansion card made by Creative. Came with it's own CD-ROM drive. I have no idea if anybody nowadays has even attempted to get that setup working.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

There's also a version of the 3DO that's a PC ISA expansion card made by Creative. Came with it's own CD-ROM drive. I have no idea if anybody nowadays has even attempted to get that setup working.

The 3DO Blaster works fine still, assuming you have a functional card, the paired CD drive, and a windows 3.1 or DOS computer that has an open ISA port.

The nifty thing is that it let you take screenshots or scale the game on Win3.1, since all of the 3DO work was being done by the 3DO blaster and not your actual computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2CzI3qoci8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

The 3DO Blaster works fine still, assuming you have a functional card, the paired CD drive, and a windows 3.1 or DOS computer that has an open ISA port.

The nifty thing is that it let you take screenshots or scale the game on Win3.1, since all of the 3DO work was being done by the 3DO blaster and not your actual computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2CzI3qoci8

Holy poo poo that's cool :stare: some code wizard should try making an adapter and a modern Windows driver for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ofecks posted:

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

Seconding this, it's a fantastic golf game. Unfortunately it's also incredibly loving expensive (if you want the AES version anyway, which I'm seeing an ad on eBay for 16,000 Euro). The MVS version is pretty cheap all things considered though, and you can always emulate it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
My FZ-1 3DO died last week :(

'Twas A.I. Shogi killed the beast. It boots up and loads a game for a few seconds, then suddenly without fanfare the power just dies.

I opened it up and glanced at the capacitors but didn't see anything abnormal at a glance, which marked the end of my current diagnostic and repair abilities. Also holy poo poo that motherfucker has a ton of screws.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy poo poo that's cool :stare: some code wizard should try making an adapter and a modern Windows driver for it.

There are specialty motherboards for industrial PC's that still have ISA slots on them but have modern Intel sockets & chipsets.

Just saying...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

'Twas A.I. Shogi killed the beast.

It needed an extra processor on the CD.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Probably a dumb question, but is it safe to run third-party RCA cables through a SNES, or should I spend the extra $5 on an original / official Nintendo one? I have no idea if there's any difference or potential QA issues that could damage the console, but if they are functionally identical then I'll probably just pick up a cheap one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Probably a dumb question, but is it safe to run third-party RCA cables through a SNES, or should I spend the extra $5 on an original / official Nintendo one? I have no idea if there's any difference or potential QA issues that could damage the console, but if they are functionally identical then I'll probably just pick up a cheap one.

The worst that can happen is that you get ugly video output, no serious power is passing through them.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Shouldn't fry anything, but I'd just pay the extra $5. Its a one time purchase and I'd rather have official than no name brand cables with questionable quality that may stop working down the line.

Though, I'd go for s-video if possible, though its basically going for third party at that point. Just make sure to get a set with good reviews. Particularly stick to ones with only s-video and no composite to guarantee they don't cheap out and just run composite to the s-video connector.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

3rd party composite are all fine, it's Svideo and Component cables where you can get hosed. A lot of cheaper s-video cables are actually just the composite video split, which looks like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

3rd party composite are all fine, it's Svideo and Component cables where you can get hosed. A lot of cheaper s-video cables are actually just the composite video split, which looks like rear end.

Ya, I only have had issues with a couple cables. One of those PS2/GC/Xbox s-video cables that split the composite. And another component cable with PS2/Xbox connectors that poo poo the bed after 10+ years of use (I had used it off and on as my setup changed, so it was coiled for awhile over those years and may have worn it out). Still, I have heard others have more issues, so if the price difference was $5 between 3rd party and official, I'd just go official.

• Locked thread