Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's completely inconsistent. Like in the bar scene that was in some of the trailers, she doesn't even have it.

Actually I think maybe she only does it when she's with Joker or talking about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Suicide Squad had a 65 million dollar Friday (counting Thursday), tracking it for a $138 million first weekend.

Good haul, not far off from what Batman v Superman made. I'd say Batman v Superman (Theatrical Cut) is a better film but I'd be more likely to watch Suicide Squad again because I liked the characters more in it. It's Cinemascore was a B+ so while not good, it is higher than BvS so that may lead to better word of mouth and more repeat viewing.

Here's where that score falls in comparison

A+
The Avengers

A
Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Batman, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, X-Men: Days of Future Past, X2: X-Men United, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Deadpool, Captain America: Civil War

A-
Blade, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor: The Dark World, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Forever, 300, X-Men, X-Men: The Last Stand, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, X-Men: Apocalypse

B+
Blade II, Blade: Trinity, Thor, Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Punisher, Superman Returns, X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Suicide Squad

B
Batman Returns, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider, Dredd, Judge Dredd, Hellboy: The Golden Army, Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Constantine, Watchmen, Steel, Batman v Superman

B-
Punisher: War Zone, The Hulk, Hellboy

C+
Batman & Robin, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Jonah Hex

C
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

C-
Fantastic Four (2015)

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 6, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess to get lower than an C- on that scale you need to be like The Room or a Neil Breen movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1. Killing Them Softly (78%)

2. Solaris (65%)

3. Bug (61%)

4. Wolf Creek (53%)

5. Darkness (4%)

6. The Box (45%)

7. Silent House (41%)

8. The Devil Inside (7%)

Up to 2012, the only films to ever receive Fs. In brackets is their RT score.

Looks like it's mostly horror. Horror fans are loving weird about that genre, so that doesn't surprise me.

(http://www.pajiba.com/box_office_round-ups/the-8-films-all-time-to-receive-an-f-from-cinemascore.php)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: The Devil Inside having a bad score makes sense because IIRC it's the one where the movie doesn't actually end, it just stops and a thing comes up on screen telling you to go to a website.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

was boomerangs dumb thing with pink unicorns one of those dumb post deadpool adds?

Probably, seeing as how it doesn't figure into anything ever.

The funniest thing about the movie is how they make it blindingly obvious who is going to die is it Will Smith, Margot Robbie or the guy who just shows up without an intro and just a bad voice over saying how "He can climb anything."

A couple of things that came off strange were two scenes that felt like there should have been more there but instead there's nothing around them. There's the bit where Capt Boomerang takes off but then just kind of comes back for no reason and the bit where Harley escapes, Joker's chopper crashes and she just rejoins the team like nothing happened. Also after that scene there's no acknowledgement that her bomb no longer works.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 6, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

A couple of things that came off strange were two scenes that felt like there should have been more there but instead there's nothing around them. There's the bit where Capt Boomerang takes off but then just kind of comes back for no reason and the bit where Harley escapes, Joker's chopper crashes and she just rejoins the team like nothing happened. Also after that scene there's no acknowledgement that her bomb no longer works.

I think they just had no idea how to recover from the joke of him bolting. I can overlook it, that was kind of funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I guess to get lower than an C- on that scale you need to be like The Room or a Neil Breen movie.

You don't really see Ds or Fs unless it's a niche film and the small audience it's for hates it. C level is basically an F for all intents and purposes. The Cinemascore isn't really a grade of the movie it's more of a grade of the audience reaction to the movie. Whether they're likely to see it again or tell others it's good. That's why it's usually a good indicator of the legs the movie has.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For the lack of the Joker in the movie, Jared Leto is saying that quite a few of his scenes ended up being cut.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ButtWolf posted:

Its no Guardians, but its no XMen either. I hate the flashbacks that were just poo poo we saw 20 min ago, cameras that let the US see stuff explode, and 'my daughter'. Music didnt really bother me.

I dont get the sexism thing. Seems like being too PC. If Margot Robbie is undressing, everyone is gonna look. EVERYONE. Maybe dont make her character sexy i get that, but it wasnt as bad as ppl are making it seem.

A girl kisses guys and puts a spell on them. Who cares? Its seems ridiculous to get mad about that.

The flashbacks though. Im upset about that, and is the reason I didnt like BvS. Mild pacing problems, not real bad imo.

C grade movie.

You do understand that these aren't real people, correct? That Ayers, when writing and directing this movie, had the option of going "wait, these elements are sexist and lame and I'd be better off not including them in this way," right? He wasn't filming a documentary, and so could decide whether or not he wanted a scene where a female inmate gets naked in the middle of a field while everyone stands dead still and eyefucks her. Like, I'm assuming none of the men in the movie get naked and roll around like kittens while kissing everyone?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

You do understand that these aren't real people, correct? That Ayers, when writing and directing this movie, had the option of going "wait, these elements are sexist and lame and I'd be better off not including them in this way," right? He wasn't filming a documentary, and so could decide whether or not he wanted a scene where a female inmate gets naked in the middle of a field while everyone stands dead still and eyefucks her. Like, I'm assuming none of the men in the movie get naked and roll around like kittens while kissing everyone?

Just Joker.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Brie Larson just posted this on Instagram

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gosh, I hope that movie goes well. She seems like a good casting choice for carol.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
All this talk everywhere about Leto being so dedicated to being the Joker 24/7 on set has me wondering if when Ben starts making his own bat film he'll also stay in character as Batman and beat the poo poo out of Jared when he inevitably pisses him off. :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It seems really generous to put Iron Man 2 in the same tier as Winter Soldier. And by generous I mean "What the gently caress".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SonicRulez posted:

It seems really generous to put Iron Man 2 in the same tier as Winter Soldier. And by generous I mean "What the gently caress".

General audiences react to things differently than nerds do. Go check the Cinemascores for the Transformers movies. Only one of them dipped below an A.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Argue posted:

Just watched it, and while it wasn't good, it was not as bad as BvS, and certainly not as bad as Fantastic Four.

The most glaring problem to me was the lack of an arc for anyone. Not a single character is changed by the end of the movie, except maybe for the one guy who's now dead, and that now they're all friends for some reason, even though barely anything led up to that. Considering the title of the movie, it's a major failing that they barely interact with each other. In fact, I feel the movie spends a disproportionate amount of time showing random soldiers fighting instead of the squad doing anything special that shows they're indispensable.

By the time the bar scene happens, it seems like we're meant to see that they're already friends, which just doesn't ring true. Deadshot and Harley, okay--at least they traded words beforehand, albeit briefly. Croc, though? He casually jokes with them like they're old pals despite having had only like... two lines up to that point? None of which were even spoken to the team. All of Boomerang's dialogue was about how lovely the task force is, so there really wasn't a compelling reason for him or Croc to go back to help after Flagg let them go--and hell, there wasn't even a compelling reason for Flagg to let them go either! Most of the intra-team dialogue was just Flagg talking at them!

And let's not even get started on Katana.

I was going to write a big review but this accords with just about all of my thoughts, to highlight some of the reasons why this is a much, much better movie then BvS while still being a bad movie.
Will Smith does very good work with what he's given. This is a "Will Smith Movie Star™" calibre performance for the first time in years. Why on earth the movie wasn't more focused on Deadshot I don't know. Margot Robbie also does very good work with a very problematic character, whose motivations and actions don't even make any sense even with the considerable leeway of her character being batshit crazy. Waller and Boomerang are reasonably faithfully adapted (give or take a dumb unicorn gag). A decent Suicide Squad movie could definitely be made that was about those four characters, please drop every other character as well as their dumb flashbacks/dream sequences.

Joker is a complete nothingburger, that and every Affleck scene make me very worried about the next Batman movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

Actually Neil Breen movies would probably scale pretty high since they are amazing to watch

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

1. Killing Them Softly (78%)

2. Solaris (65%)

3. Bug (61%)

4. Wolf Creek (53%)

5. Darkness (4%)

6. The Box (45%)

7. Silent House (41%)

8. The Devil Inside (7%)

Up to 2012, the only films to ever receive Fs. In brackets is their RT score.

Looks like it's mostly horror. Horror fans are loving weird about that genre, so that doesn't surprise me.

(http://www.pajiba.com/box_office_round-ups/the-8-films-all-time-to-receive-an-f-from-cinemascore.php)

Wolf Creek and Bug are loving dope but they're also both movies that I can very much see pissing off half of their audience.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wolf Creek and Bug are loving dope but they're also both movies that I can very much see pissing off half of their audience.

I'm surprised Martyrs isn't on that list for the same reason

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Its no Guardians, but its no XMen either. I hate the flashbacks that were just poo poo we saw 20 min ago, cameras that let the US see stuff explode, and 'my daughter'. Music didnt really bother me.

I dont get the sexism thing. Seems like being too PC. If Margot Robbie is undressing, everyone is gonna look. EVERYONE. Maybe dont make her character sexy i get that, but it wasnt as bad as ppl are making it seem.

A girl kisses guys and puts a spell on them. Who cares? Its seems ridiculous to get mad about that.

The flashbacks though. Im upset about that, and is the reason I didnt like BvS. Mild pacing problems, not real bad imo.

C grade movie.

:goonsay:

DynamicSloth posted:

I was going to write a big review but this accords with just about all of my thoughts, to highlight some of the reasons why this is a much, much better movie then BvS while still being a bad movie.
Will Smith does very good work with what he's given. This is a "Will Smith Movie Star™" calibre performance for the first time in years. Why on earth the movie wasn't more focused on Deadshot I don't know. Margot Robbie also does very good work with a very problematic character, whose motivations and actions don't even make any sense even with the considerable leeway of her character being batshit crazy. Waller and Boomerang are reasonably faithfully adapted (give or take a dumb unicorn gag). A decent Suicide Squad movie could definitely be made that was about those four characters, please drop every other character as well as their dumb flashbacks/dream sequences.

Joker is a complete nothingburger, that and every Affleck scene make me very worried about the next Batman movie.

AGAIN with the loving dream sequences. what is it with the loving dream sequences?!

fire kevin tsujihara

like, right now

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 6, 2016

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://youtu.be/6QOrv9jY8Bs

Jeeeesus am I gonna give Suicide Squad a hard pass. This sounds worse than my already very low expectations of it. Even beyond the terrible editing I've heard mentioned, this Harley stuff sounds stomach churning. No wonder my buddy walked out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BillBear posted:

All this talk everywhere about Leto being so dedicated to being the Joker 24/7 on set has me wondering if when Ben starts making his own bat film he'll also stay in character as Batman and beat the poo poo out of Jared when he inevitably pisses him off. :v:

Ben Affleck has a story about his son wanting him to dress up as Batman for his birthday and having the other parents roll their eyes at him because of it.

If anyone should go full Batman, it's him.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dexie posted:

I just got back from the movie. Aside from the awful continued over-sexualization of Harley and the non-stop (and oh, I do mean non-stop) use of licensed music, I enjoyed it. :shrug:

Holy poo poo was the music overused. I think the absolute saturation of licensed music did more to pull me out of the experience than any other single aspect of the experience. It was loving jarring.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yea the music use was terrible. Totally drove it into the ground.

Harley's
deactivated chip was stupid because in the bar scene, Flagg tells them all they're free/smashes the killphone and Quin checks her neck in the mirror

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Incubus arranged the music obviously.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Incubus arranged the music obviously.

I guess I should be glad they didn't just play a random Incubus song whenever that dude showed up.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 7, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cabbit posted:

I guess I should be glad they didn't just play a random Incubus song whenever that dude showed up.

If his musical cue was just "And she called out a warning!" every time on screen I would have at least laughed at him.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ButtWolf posted:

C grade movie.

I don't want to pile on but....yeah. Yeah I do. You've failed to grasp the basic concept of sexism. Helpful hint: if your thoughts on something include the phrase "too PC", your thoughts are objectively wrong.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

After the post credits sequence, I'm certain Batman is my least favorite character in these movies. The casting is good, but utterly wasted.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ben Affleck has a story about his son wanting him to dress up as Batman for his birthday and having the other parents roll their eyes at him because of it.

If anyone should go full Batman, it's him.

His son claimed the garbage man was the Joker, so Ben paid the guy to have a mock battle with him.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I saw Suicide Squad on Wednesday night. It wasn't great, but it wasn't anywhere near the shitstorm some are calling it. I'd give it a B-/C+. It's much better than Fantastic Four, Electra, Green Hornet etc. As everyone's already said, the intro takes forever, the plot is muddled and the editing makes things even worse.

Davis and Robbie are great with what they have. Will Smith is Will Smith. Jai Courtney steals great little moments. Leto just comes across as a tryhard.

The best thing you can do is go in, turn your brain off and enjoy the music/one-liners/slow-mo action finishers. Remember, it's just a movie.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

turn your brain off and enjoy the music/one-liners/slow-mo action finishers. Remember, it's just a movie.

Not to pick on you, cause I get what you're saying, but this isn't a good excuse to give someone $20 and 90 minutes of your life that could be spent actually enjoying something that's made well and rewards you for having a brain

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chaos Hippy posted:

I don't want to pile on but....yeah. Yeah I do. You've failed to grasp the basic concept of sexism. Helpful hint: if your thoughts on something include the phrase "too PC", your thoughts are objectively wrong.

How is it any different than Natalie and Kat gazing at Chris Hemsworth? I DO get that its unnecessary and HATE "im doing this for my gf wife daughter". I was just expecting worse i guess. Do you think that Harley does that poo poo on purpose? She uses sex as a tool. Should he have written her that way? Maybe not but he isnt the first.

Im not totally defending the movie, its just not the worst thing ive seen.

For enchantress, i dont see how its any different than a kiss to break a spell of sleep or a frog ala disney and other folk tales.

Dont make me out to be some kind of super chauvinist bro. Maybe i dont understand it well, so instead of just saying 'haha you dumb fucker eat poo poo and die' how bout you explain it more in detail so i can learn more? Or is this how you treat everyone with a differing view? Thats a huge fuckin problem, and you are doing nothing to help

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 7, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ButtWolf posted:

How is it any different than Natalie and Kat gazing at Chris Hemsworth? I DO get that its unnecessary and HATE "im doing this for my gf wife daughter". I was just expecting worse i guess. Do you think that Harley does that poo poo on purpose? She uses sex as a tool. Should he have written her that way? Maybe not but he isnt the first.

Im not totally defending the movie, its just not the worst thing ive seen.

For enchantress, i dont see how its any different than a kiss to break a spell of sleep or a frog ala disney and other folk tales.

Dont make me out to be some kind of super chauvinist bro. Maybe i dont understand it well, so instead of just saying 'haha you dumb fucker eat poo poo and die' how bout you explain it more in detail so i can learn more? Or is this how you treat everyone with a differing view? Thats a huge fuckin problem, and you are doing nothing to help

I could play internet misogynist bingo with your posts

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With my posts about basketball? Just nevermind, jesus, exactly what im talking about.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ive literally never seen your posts before, I mean with your posts ITT alone.

-"too PC"
-"men are objectified too!"
-"she's using sex as a weapon"
- implying SS didn't invent sexism so why bother complaining about the sexism
- not sexist, but

e t c

oh I forgot the classic "I don't understand, so please derail this thread and explain the bare minimum of the concept of feminism and male gaze to me"

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 7, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Point taken. Did you have to be an rear end in a top hat about it? I would understand if I had a history of it but I rarely post. What you just posted right there was plenty sufficient for me take a look at how I view things and did not upset me. Lets all be better.
Derail over. Sorry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He does.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Margot Robbie is a good actress who is bad at accents.

There's a chunk of a good Suicide Squad movie stuck in there but there's so much that is gross or dumb surrounding it, then the matter of the HILARIOUSLY BAD editing.

Any time Harley is interacting with someone aside from the other members of the squad it's just really squicky. The editing is so bad that, aside from the weird pacing and bizarre flashback timing, you can also tell they just shuffled some scenes around by tracking Harley's makeup.

Most of the cast does a good to great job and characters are pretty true to their comic incarnations. Cara Delevingne should maybe stop acting and Jared Leto should be locked away in a pit. I'd actually be excited to see them do a more focused sequel, especially if they give more screen time to Jai Courtney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Good on you for being receptive to dialog, ButtWolf

I don't mean that as sarcastic, it probably just sounds that way cause your name is ButtWolf

God dammit that wasn't supposed to sound sarcastic either

• Locked thread