Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a common product anywhere that's half potassium chloride and half sodium chloride? I could swear I had some one time and it was called something like "potassium salt" but now I can't find it anywhere. I mean if it comes down to it I can just combine it myself but it'd be convenient to buy it already mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've seen low sodium salt, which was exceptionally confusing until I found out about potassium chloride.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Low sodium salt, now with 20% more chlorine!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there a common product anywhere that's half potassium chloride and half sodium chloride? I could swear I had some one time and it was called something like "potassium salt" but now I can't find it anywhere. I mean if it comes down to it I can just combine it myself but it'd be convenient to buy it already mixed.

Morton's "Lite Salt" and similar products.
https://www.amazon.com/Morton-Lite-Salt-Sodium-Table/dp/B0005YM0UY

The UK version - LoSalt - is 2/3 potassium chloride and 1/3 sodium chloride.
http://www.losalt.com/us/product/introducing-losalt/

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just made a katsu curry sauce to serve for dinner tomorrow, but I'm not sure there's enough of it. The recipe I followed says serves 4, and I actually used extra because there's a possibility I'll be serving 5, but there's really not much sauce there once it all got reduced. I've never made it before, though I am aware that it's a thick sauce and probably you don't serve a lot of it per portion. Am I overthinking it? And how difficult would it be to increase the amount of it by just adding some more stuff and a thickener? I can't get a picture unfortunately

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The recipe probably assumes fairly modest portions. The easiest solution is to just make more rice and maybe an extra side to go with it. I'm a fan of stir-fried cabbage next to japanese curry.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I've frozen Thai curry and reheated it and it was absolutely fine. It wasn't frozen for long, but I can't see why it would go bad

Yep, I have the very last bit left in vacuum sealed freezer bags that are a year old that have been fine so far.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tendales posted:

The recipe probably assumes fairly modest portions. The easiest solution is to just make more rice and maybe an extra side to go with it. I'm a fan of stir-fried cabbage next to japanese curry.

Or plain shredded cabbage.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Tendales posted:

The recipe assumes a chicken breast each, though probably a fairly small portion of rice. I don't think making more rice would help, since there'd be even less sauce to go with it. Having some kind of cabbage side is a good idea though, I had been wondering about a veg accompaniment.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I was looking at broccoli rabe things, do you think gai lan would work as a substitute for rabe?
Whoops missed this, but yes, I think it would be close enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jewel Repetition posted:

You might already know this, but just in case be aware that potassium chloride is bitter, not salty

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jewel Repetition posted:

Morton lite salt is half salt, and Morton salt alternative is no salt.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What herbs should I put in mashed potatoes? I'm going to do some garlic and salt, obviously. I don't think I have chives, which is the obvious choice.

Crushed or minced garlic?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What herbs should I put in mashed potatoes? I'm going to do some garlic and salt, obviously. I don't think I have chives, which is the obvious choice.

Crushed and then minced fine. Fresh parsley works, you can also infuse rosemary into the butter & milk and add that. I've also heard good things about dill in mashed potatoes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can also season them up with Dijon.

That said, garlic confit, butter, heavy cream, salt, and pepper is the supreme method of preparing mashed potatoes.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Leeks are good in mashes potatoes. You just gotta put the thinly sliced leeks in a pan with butter for a while before mixing with the potatoes.

Also, a friend introduced us to mashed potatoes with kale which came out quite good. Apparently common in The Netherlands?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

rgocs posted:

Leeks are good in mashes potatoes. You just gotta put the thinly sliced leeks in a pan with butter for a while before mixing with the potatoes.

Also, a friend introduced us to mashed potatoes with kale which came out quite good. Apparently common in The Netherlands?

Colcannon -- it's Irish and traditionally it has cabbage. It's a good way to justify eating a huge pile of mashed potatoes which is really all I want to do in life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

defectivemonkey posted:

Colcannon -- it's Irish and traditionally it has cabbage. It's a good way to justify eating a huge pile of mashed potatoes which is really all I want to do in life.

Rumbledethumps in Scotland, traditionally with kale and sometimes turnips or carrots too. Good stuff.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Rumbledethumps in Scotland, traditionally with kale and sometimes turnips or carrots too. Good stuff.

God drat that's a better name.

For actual content I had extra ground beef/onions/jalapeno/garlic/chili powder and cumin empanada filling and wanted to make it into another meal so I added squash and beans to bulk it up. I highly recommend this to anyone stuck in the midst of zucchini season or who has a CSA and is dealing with a glut of squash. It was surprisingly good. It would have been good in whatever you use your taco/burrito filling for, but in my case I put it in a dish under some cheese and put some cornbread batter on top and baked it and it was great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

defectivemonkey posted:

That sounds awesome. Maybe sometime I'll do that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does it make sense to thaw frozen potatoes? I get that they're in small pieces so they thaw quickly when cooking anyway. But is there a benefit, however marginal, if I decide to thaw them slowly in the fridge ahead of time before baking/deep-frying?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rgocs posted:

Absolutely, it's a very popular winter dish in Holland. The name loosely translates to "farmers cabbage". It's served with gravy and a smoked sausage or bratwurst-like sausage.

p.s: the whole kale superfood health kick is a bit weird when you've eaten it for yoir whole life.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Pepper chat!

I'm growing cayennes, ghost peppers and Carolina reapers in window boxes on my deck. So, questions:

1 - I want to make chili powder from the cayennes, what is the proper way to dry them before grinding?
2- The only thing I can think of to do with the ghost/reapers is hot sauce, so what are some good recipes for that, or - alternatively - what else can I do with them?

TIA

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm going to use that name next time we make them. My son will get a kick out of it, hopefully enough for him to eat them!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Does anyone have a go-to plov (pilaf) recipe? Seen quite a few like this but this seems like the kind of dish that spices make or break.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I have watched a video of a guy eating Russian military rations and now I HAVE TO make kasha with beef.

It's buckwheat porridge with ground beef, canned tomatoes, onion and celery. Any good spice recommendations to that? All the recipes I found only have salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I have watched a video of a guy eating Russian military rations and now I HAVE TO make kasha with beef.

It's buckwheat porridge with ground beef, canned tomatoes, onion and celery. Any good spice recommendations to that? All the recipes I found only have salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.

Toss in some sweet/smoky/spicy/regular paprika, cayenne's subtle but interesting Hungarian/Spanish half-brother

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 10, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My local Chinese steam table place has delicious little deep-fried fish nuggets. I want to make my own (oven-fried, panko-coated) version at home, but I'm sure I'm missing whatever they're doing that makes them so delicious. Other than perfect flaky fish, all I'm getting is light ginger, maybe a little garlic, but I think there has to be more to it.

Any ideas? Any chance this is like a known, common dish with a googleable name? I can make regular fish nuggets all day, I just need help with the seasonings/application for this style.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

MrSlam posted:

Toss in some sweet/smoky/spicy/regular paprika, cayenne's subtle but interesting Hungarian/Spanish half-brother

Sounds good. I've got sweet and spice paprika. Thanks.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

My local Chinese steam table place has delicious little deep-fried fish nuggets. I want to make my own (oven-fried, panko-coated) version at home, but I'm sure I'm missing whatever they're doing that makes them so delicious. Other than perfect flaky fish, all I'm getting is light ginger, maybe a little garlic, but I think there has to be more to it.

Any ideas? Any chance this is like a known, common dish with a googleable name? I can make regular fish nuggets all day, I just need help with the seasonings/application for this style.

Would this be about what you're looking for? Or maybe this?

Edit: Actually, how is the fish prepared? Is it like a fillet, or is it fish paste? Is it more of a batter breading, or a crumb breading? What colour were they, white or yellow? How big were they? This stuff would help narrow it down somewhat.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 10, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Flaky white fish simply cut into nuggets, definitely no balls involved. The first step is obviously taking filets (1/4"-3/4" thick) and cutting them into chunks a little bigger than a chicken nugget. The coating is breading, probably panko, deep-fried perfectly brown. There's no sauce on them or nearby the station.

I'm assuming it's pretty westernized, but I'm just not sure what-all flavors they're using or how to infuse them. I have zero experience cooking Asian food and not much more experience eating it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anne Whateley posted:

Flaky white fish simply cut into nuggets, definitely no balls involved. The first step is obviously taking filets (1/4"-3/4" thick) and cutting them into chunks a little bigger than a chicken nugget. The coating is breading, probably panko, deep-fried perfectly brown. There's no sauce on them or nearby the station.

I'm assuming it's pretty westernized, but I'm just not sure what-all flavors they're using or how to infuse them. I have zero experience cooking Asian food and not much more experience eating it.

Try marinating the fish lightly(like 10-15min) in a mix of ginger juice, grated garlic, soy sauce & sugar.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

They're using msg in the breading. That's what you're missing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Afriscipio posted:

They're using msg in the breading. That's what you're missing.
Maybe. They're probably also frying off their poo poo in oil that's been used a lot. This both flavours the oil itself, and changes the way it cooks food.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Hey goons, can you help me out here? I was given a couple pieces of cast iron that ... well, look at these poor things.

The dutch oven is kinda tiny (it's cute :3: but I don't know what I'd do with it), the smaller skillet looks alright, just some steel wool and re-seasoning, but that 10-inch, holy poo poo. I don't know what that is, it's a combination of rust and dust and I don't even WANT to know what else. I wouldn't have even taken that if I'd have seen it before. Can that be saved? Without breaking my arm trying to scour the living poo poo out of it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fenrir posted:

Hey goons, can you help me out here? I was given a couple pieces of cast iron that ... well, look at these poor things.

The dutch oven is kinda tiny (it's cute :3: but I don't know what I'd do with it), the smaller skillet looks alright, just some steel wool and re-seasoning, but that 10-inch, holy poo poo. I don't know what that is, it's a combination of rust and dust and I don't even WANT to know what else. I wouldn't have even taken that if I'd have seen it before. Can that be saved? Without breaking my arm trying to scour the living poo poo out of it?
Got a drill? Buy a stripping brush for it and take them all down to bare metal then reseason.

Unless someone's been frying plutonium flapjacks in them or something you really can't do anything to render cast iron cookware permanently unusable shy of melting it down or sawing it in half.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ulmont posted:

Morton's "Lite Salt" and similar products.
https://www.amazon.com/Morton-Lite-Salt-Sodium-Table/dp/B0005YM0UY

The UK version - LoSalt - is 2/3 potassium chloride and 1/3 sodium chloride.
http://www.losalt.com/us/product/introducing-losalt/

baquerd posted:

Morton lite salt is half salt, and Morton salt alternative is no salt.

Thanks, Morton lite is exactly what I was looking for. It even has trace magnesium and calcium as a bonus.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

I would start by running them through an oven clean cycle, then drill with brush, then season.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

Got a drill? Buy a stripping brush for it and take them all down to bare metal then reseason.

Unless someone's been frying plutonium flapjacks in them or something you really can't do anything to render cast iron cookware permanently unusable shy of melting it down or sawing it in half.
Oh poo poo, that's a great idea. And yeah, I know you can't *destroy* it but just the cleaning looks REALLY daunting on that 10", if doing it by hand. Love the drill bit idea... and apparently home depot has this exact bit for my drill for like 7 bucks. I'll have these fuckers ready to cook over the weekend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would start by running them through an oven clean cycle, then drill with brush, then season.
I'd do that too but my oven doesn't have a self-clean. It's gas and it's old.

Thanks guys :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you're going to use a drill to wire brush all that poo poo off, you should wear a respirator. You're gonna kick up a lot of dust.