Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

two_beer_bishes posted:

Xposting from the AI thread:

Not sure if anyone here has been following the Bugatti 100p project that's been going on for a while. It crashed today, killing the pilot.

That's terrible news :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wrapped up my two dual cross country trips this week. Today I went all the way from St Andrews to Brandon and back.

Next Saturday I do it again by myself :ohdear:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Cool Joven. Living the dream. Congrats.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I still have a postcard in my first logbook from my long XC.

Nevar forget.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Between this comment and the alarming consistency with which air shuttle fucks up the difference between 17L and 17C I'm starting to get a lot more nervous about flying into DFW.

Sweat out those bullets then.

We move a shitload of airplanes every day. It's loving amazing to see in action.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
DFW is actually one of the better massively high traffic airports for us to deal with from an ATC perspective. Much better than Chicago or New York. It seems like you use an extra .5-1 mile spacing on final which helps reduce the the airspeed and heading micromanagement you get at those other places. Or maybe that's what you meant by "sub-par controlling." Either way, keep doing it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Chicago is busier than us, and I've heard they run a final like a clinic, but I've not witnessed it personally.

DFW is consistently second busiest in the nation, and Dallas Love puts up some impressive numbers too. Our spacing on final isn't mathematically perfect, but it lands the airplanes.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

DFW is actually one of the better massively high traffic airports for us to deal with from an ATC perspective. Much better than Chicago or New York. It seems like you use an extra .5-1 mile spacing on final which helps reduce the the airspeed and heading micromanagement you get at those other places. Or maybe that's what you meant by "sub-par controlling." Either way, keep doing it.

SEA seems to be terrible at handling the Delta/Alaska dick-waving contest going on there, since the airport is way over capacity.

Even with all three runways working and good weather, it's not uncommon for there to be 10-20 minute flow delays into SEA and a complete mess on the ground there, and if the weather prevents visual approaches, those delays can easily crack the 1 hour mark.

Oddly, things seem to get slightly better when the weather requires CAT III approaches, since that means Compass and Skywest have to hold or divert, which cuts the traffic down to just the mainline carriers and Horizon. Once the weather comes back up, things go back to being a complete disaster, since you have the normal level of traffic, plus all of the diverted/held airplanes trying to get in as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's amazing how carrier capability and ramp space can affect the arrival rate of an airport.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

I wrapped up my two dual cross country trips this week. Today I went all the way from St Andrews to Brandon and back.

Next Saturday I do it again by myself :ohdear:

Nice! How has the weather been in MB this summer? Out west, it's been really bad particularly in the afternoons -- on one hand, I'm pissed that I still have to wait for my surgery and medical and all that garbage, but on the other hand I don't envy people trying to get their hours in this summer. You only started in the spring or early summer, right? Just wait until you fly on a beautiful, clear winter day... so much better, at least once you get the walkaround done and the engine started.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I love Chicago controllers and the way approach runs it

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Nice! How has the weather been in MB this summer? Out west, it's been really bad particularly in the afternoons -- on one hand, I'm pissed that I still have to wait for my surgery and medical and all that garbage, but on the other hand I don't envy people trying to get their hours in this summer. You only started in the spring or early summer, right? Just wait until you fly on a beautiful, clear winter day... so much better, at least once you get the walkaround done and the engine started.

It's been pretty decent for me only because I usually fly either 8-9am or 7pm. It's generally calm those hours. I did notice it get a bit rough on our way back.

Two things we've noticed is while they only shut down flying for maybe a day at a time, while they're here the storms are stronger and overall it's been a wet summer. poo poo's just been really wet all summer. It has lead to some interesting afternoon thermals. The rare dry stuff warms at such a different rate than the wet stuff that it gets pretty bumpy when the sun is out at all.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Flew out to the Gathering of the Classics at the Edenvale airport yesterday. Had a fun time in formation with a 172 the whole way.

A very nice event lots of interesting old planes and cars. A few old warbirds and a helicopter were taking up passengers the whole day.

A buddy of mine came really close to having a very bad day at the event.

That is the strut on his Cubs gear leg. Nothing but a bit of paint holding it together.

Got a bit of hangar space and held the wing up to remove the failed part. Should be able to get a replacement in a few days.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

SEA seems to be terrible at handling the Delta/Alaska dick-waving contest going on there, since the airport is way over capacity.

Even with all three runways working and good weather, it's not uncommon for there to be 10-20 minute flow delays into SEA and a complete mess on the ground there, and if the weather prevents visual approaches, those delays can easily crack the 1 hour mark.

Oddly, things seem to get slightly better when the weather requires CAT III approaches, since that means Compass and Skywest have to hold or divert, which cuts the traffic down to just the mainline carriers and Horizon. Once the weather comes back up, things go back to being a complete disaster, since you have the normal level of traffic, plus all of the diverted/held airplanes trying to get in as well.

We (Compass) can land Cat II but in over a year at Seattle I've yet to have to actually do a real Cat II approach. I'd probably be making GBS threads myself, they are terrifying when actually at mins in the sim. I can't even fathom it being cat III. Honestly, seems like money well spent given the infrequency of cat III approaches into Seattle. Plane certainly can be equipped, I hear the new Horizon E175s are going to have the autoland option. Delta is notoriously cheap and would rather deal with a few diversions a year than pay for planes to be maintained at Cat III status.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

We (Compass) can land Cat II but in over a year at Seattle I've yet to have to actually do a real Cat II approach. I'd probably be making GBS threads myself, they are terrifying when actually at mins in the sim. I can't even fathom it being cat III. Honestly, seems like money well spent given the infrequency of cat III approaches into Seattle. Plane certainly can be equipped, I hear the new Horizon E175s are going to have the autoland option. Delta is notoriously cheap and would rather deal with a few diversions a year than pay for planes to be maintained at Cat III status.

CAT II's to minimums are a ton of fun, I hope you get to experience a successful one soon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
My instructors son flies heavies and I watched a video of him shooting a cat I a few weeks ago. Talk about trusting your systems.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay what do you want to talk about when it comes to trusting your systems?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

We (Compass) can land Cat II but in over a year at Seattle I've yet to have to actually do a real Cat II approach. I'd probably be making GBS threads myself, they are terrifying when actually at mins in the sim. I can't even fathom it being cat III.

The Cat III weather in Seattle is sporadic (I've seen it twice this summer, but probably 10-12 times per winter) and doesn't normally hang around more than a few hours, but Horizon has so many flights through there that the Cat III is worth the money for us.

Plus, hand-flying a CAT III down to 50' minimums is kind of cool, although a decent autopilot would be way cooler.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
CAT III can be hand flown?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Horizon has their Q400 fleet equipped with HUD for the left seat (plus a third nav radio and an IRS), which allows CAT III down to a 600ft RVR and a 50' DA.

The autopilot on the Q400 is pretty lousy, so hand flying is the only way the FAA lets us do CAT III approaches.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So what's going with delta today?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So what's going with delta today?

They finally get to enjoy what's happened at southwest, United, and American: computer failure!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its power outage not a computer failure geez.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Without power, computers fail, ipso facto

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's the ATC job posting. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/446961800/

The salary isn't the whole story, ATC thread has more details.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'm curious what efforts are done to ensure the ILS critical area is protected during a cat I/II/III. Sure gets wonky fast on a VMC day when someone crosses over.

And yeah, when they give us CAT IIs in the sim it's always insane at mins. Like you can just barely make out approach lights as you're about to flare. Totally nuts. I think one reason we don't encounter it much is planes remain overnight at SEA and early AM is when it's the foggiest. We're more likely to be departing at that hour whereas Horizon already has inbounds from PDX/GEG etc. Some of our CDOs may be arriving but that's it, the first departure bank is like 6-7am and stuff is already clearing by then usually in the summer.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
From The Good Book

quote:

7110.65W

3−7−5. PRECISION APPROACH CRITICAL
AREA

a. ILS critical area dimensions are described in
FAA Order 6750.16, Siting Criteria for Instrument
Landing Systems. Aircraft and vehicle access to the
ILS critical area must be controlled to ensure the
integrity of ILS course signals whenever conditions
are less than reported ceiling 800 feet or visibility less
than 2 miles. Do not authorize vehicles/aircraft to
operate in or over the critical area, except as specified
in subparagraph a1, whenever an arriving aircraft is
inside the ILS outer marker (OM) or the fix used in
lieu of the OM unless the arriving aircraft has
reported the runway in sight or is circling to land on
another runway.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
How do I know some lovely Asiana pilot isn't gonna screw up the clearance and penetrate the ILS critical area, tho?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

How do I know some lovely Asiana pilot isn't gonna screw up the clearance and penetrate the ILS critical area, tho?

How do you know some completely oblivious JetBlue pilot isn't going to ignore not hear repeated attempts to amend his altitude and climb into the cockpit with you at cruise? :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

How do you know some completely oblivious JetBlue pilot isn't going to ignore not hear repeated attempts to amend his altitude and climb into the cockpit with you at cruise? :v:

Traffic, traffic?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Spanish forecasts as good as ever - basically a "We have no loving clue where the wind will be coming from" - 4 days running both take off and landing (and normally with a runway change) there has been a minimum 20 knot tail (with of course a tower "Head" wind on the ground)

LEPA 091700Z 0918/1018 07012KT 9999 FEW020 TX27/1013Z TN17/1006Z TEMPO 0918/1008 VRB04KT TEMPO 1003/1018 FEW020TCU BKN025 PROB30 TEMPO 1013/1018 23008KT

Also - just remembered this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDOZooUUNE

Also really confused the cabin today by giving them an acars weather report for coming home (EGNT and EGNV) and sandwiching in NZSP in the middle - they really though it was -50 in Sunderland. :D

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 9, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just had my second oh gently caress that might have killed me moment.

First one I don't even think I posted about was hitting some guys prop wash while rotating for a landing. I powered up and still put it down just fine but it was kinda the same thing as wake turbulence.

My instructor just sat there and said 'ok... You handled that well.

Just 15 mins ago I was doing my last landing after 1.1 in the practice area and circuit. I'd finally nailed soft field landings. My last one was set up perfect so when I got cleared for 36 instead of 04 after asking for full stop I set up for a short. On final with my flaps all the way out just like my last 3 and as I'm rotating the flaps go up a notch and I just drop.

I recovered, landed nice and easy and pulled off to the taxi way and now the plane for some reason idles rough at the 800 rpm mark.

No prop strike and the landing was soft.

My instructor figures I didn't have the flaps all the way locked in that notch because my knee board hit the button or something (he tested too, it locks at 40 just fine) but he has no idea whats wrong with the engine. It does it on either or both mags.

He assures me that I didn't do anything that would have caused whatever's going on with the engine but I still feel like I might have broken an airplane :(

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Honestly, it's a good sign that you care. You will have more days of thinking about if you hurt the airplane in the future. It's fine.

The days that really suck are when you grease the landing and something still breaks.....

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, any pilot who hasn't had at least one of those moments is either a liar or just very lucky. The important thing is that you learn from each time you screw something up. Ask yourself why it was hosed up in the first place, and what you can do in the future to make sure you don't make the same mistake. Like Captain Apollo says, it's important that you care. Keep caring.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EvilJoven posted:

he has no idea whats wrong with the engine. It does it on either or both mags.

He assures me that I didn't do anything that would have caused whatever's going on with the engine but I still feel like I might have broken an airplane :(

What kind of airplane, and if you know, engine?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

As of about 11am today, I've been a Private Pilot for a decade. :stare:

I soloed 11 years ago today. :stonk:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

What kind of airplane, and if you know, engine?

PA-28-140. Not sure what engine beyond it being a Lycoming 4 cyl.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think I reached that point this summer technically speaking, but there was the whole business with not flying for the last 9 years at all, so I don't think I get to claim it.

I'm still waiting for this goddamn surgery to get scheduled so I can get my medical back and get my license recurrent... :smith:

Fake Edit: Curious why it was a year (and exactly that if I'm reading your post correctly) between your first solo and your PPL. It was similar for me too, but that's because I started young and could only get my Canada-only RPP at first.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

As of about 11am today, I've been a Private Pilot for a decade. :stare:

I soloed 11 years ago today. :stonk:

I reached that point just as I was training for my B-767 type rating. Made me feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Fake Edit: Curious why it was a year (and exactly that if I'm reading your post correctly) between your first solo and your PPL. It was similar for me too, but that's because I started young and could only get my Canada-only RPP at first.

The original plan for me was to have Private close to done if not done by go-home time (mid-August 2005) and I didn't even get close because, at the end of my first lesson (June 10ish, 2005), my CFI decided to have some fun on final to show that "lessons aren't always as boring as this", adding power, pitching the nose up, then pitching back down quickly. We both laughed, but during the debrief, I noticed dizziness which intensified as I was watching my homework at the hotel (a Patty Wagstaff-hosted DVD on runway safety). It was an ear infection which had flared back up. That, combined with a vacation planned before training was even considered, kept me on the ground until mid-July. With weather (we lost like five days in a row due to IFR) and a couple review flights, I got to Lesson 13, which was the first solo, on August 9th, 2005. We pushed to Lesson 17 or so before I had to go home for my Senior year of high school about 10 days later.

I flew several times in the Fall of '05, but didn't get much done in the Winter or early Spring because :lol: winter flying in Ohio, so I was finishing up the last few lessons in the Summer of '06. The August 9th, 2006 date was actually a twist of fate- I made the first attempt a week or so before (the check instructor at the school had like four in a row, so we were tight on time and wouldn't have been able to finish anyway) and busted because I did right traffic at a left traffic airport like a dumbass. :downsbravo: (I later realized why and found it interesting in a human factors-related way. I can make an effortpost on it if anybody wants some deep-thinking aviation learnin' :eng101:)

The Unsat triggered a mandatory review flight with my instructor, which amounted to "I know you know how to fly a traffic pattern and am not worried about the re-do, but we kinda have to do it, so let's do it to say we did it and review other stuff if you want while we're there.". Fortunately, we'd knocked out all the XC and diversion stuff, as well as unusual attitudes and maybe steep turns or something on the first try and only had one landing left (including a forward slip and go around, during which he flew the pattern for me once he knew I'd gotten the pattern handedness correct and set me up by putting me on final, saying "Forward Slip...Go Around...Ok, let's get out of here") and a little bit of air work left to do (I know I did a power-on stall, but can't remember what else), so the completion of the checkride was a cake walk and was one year to the day of the first solo. The significance of the date wasn't lost on me going in and the check instructor got a kick out of it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 10, 2016

• Locked thread