Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'd really love to get another couple Noodler Charlie pens for doodling with, but they don't seem to be available outside of purchasing a huge bottle of ink. Any suggestions other than converting Preppies? I'm not sure where to find the right size o-rings other than Goulets, and the Canadian exchange rate hurts right now.

I found the 1670 Stormy Grey was making my Metro skip like crazy. Flushed out the nib and it didn't seem to help, but a whole lot of gold came off the nib when I dabbed it. Flushed out what was left of the ink and put in a non-sparkly grey. Works fine now, but I'm a little disappointed. Next time I load up a 1670 I'm probably gonna let more of the gold stay at the bottom of the bottle. The 1670 Emeraude still works okay, but it's from a sample.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
JetPen's article says a No.5 O-ring, one of the comments says a 9.5mm inner dia. x 1mm thick.

Either way, just go to a hardware store. That's probably also where you'd find your silicon grease. Like a lot of things sold in kits, the kit's probably significantly more expensive than getting it yourself.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The 1mm o-rings (I got 8 and 6mm diameter) are a much better fit than the non-metric sizes I saw recommended.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Last night my fine nibbed metro slipped out of my hand and of course landed nib tip down on the hard floor. :saddowns: It's completely bent out of shape and won't even write anymore. Anyone know of any decent deals on fine metros (or ideally just the fine nib) right now? I loved its spidery lines.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can get a Kakuno with a fine nib (plus :) face) for around $10 on amazon, probably slightly cheaper than a whole new Metro (plus :) face!) If you want to go even more spidery you can get a Penmanship with an EF nib for around the same or less as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
New pen day today! :toot:

A Delta "The Journal".

The Fusion nib thing is complete bullshit but it a pretty good steel nib, likely because it's a Bock nib. The line sizing is kind of odd, though. It definitely writes finer than my Dolcevita even though the latter is a medium.

Also yes, the name is actually "The Journal". It's even engraved on the back of the cap.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Diamine simmertastics are back on Massdrop again and I am buying 2 more bc I have no self control, please send help. I'm also thinking of buying a new pen. I want something in the $60-80 with a broad nib but I'm not sure of anything else I want from a new pen so....? Any recommendations?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

You can get a Kakuno with a fine nib (plus :) face) for around $10 on amazon, probably slightly cheaper than a whole new Metro (plus :) face!) If you want to go even more spidery you can get a Penmanship with an EF nib for around the same or less as well.

Huh, I didn't know the Kakuno or Penmenship nibs fit. I'm tempted to try the EF, but I think I'll skip the Kakuno. I'm more of a :v: face nib person myself.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

GenericGirlName posted:

Diamine simmertastics are back on Massdrop again and I am buying 2 more bc I have no self control, please send help. I'm also thinking of buying a new pen. I want something in the $60-80 with a broad nib but I'm not sure of anything else I want from a new pen so....? Any recommendations?

TWSBI Diamond 580 AL or TWSBI Vac 700

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

GenericGirlName posted:

My favorite broad nib on a pen in that range is on a Faber-Castell Ambition -- plainer ones start around $70 and they go up from there, to like $175 for one made of coconut wood. Same nibs on the Looms, which are around $40.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

GenericGirlName posted:

Pelikan M200/205 or one of the higher numbers if it fits into your budget?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I've been looking at the Metro for a while, but shipping from US to Europe is very steep for such a cheap purchase. Is the MR and the Metro counterpart very different? I'm getting kinda confused here. No store carries it in Sweden, and even UK Amazon refuses to ship it to Sweden.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

von Braun posted:

I've been looking at the Metro for a while, but shipping from US to Europe is very steep for such a cheap purchase. Is the MR and the Metro counterpart very different? I'm getting kinda confused here. No store carries it in Sweden, and even UK Amazon refuses to ship it to Sweden.

Tried any Canadian stores? I asked the same Metro question a couple pages ago, and seems like the difference between MR and Metro is the converter they use--MR being the Euro equivalent of the US Metro.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
An MR is a Metropolitan that uses standard international converters. The end.

e: The Japanese model is called the Cacoon so if you can find one of those on the cheap then go nuts.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I was pretty set on getting a nicer pen but I dropped the metro I have and messed up the nib. So I just bought a Lamy Safari,a Noodler's Ahab, 4.5 oz of Heart of Darkness Ink, some ink samples, Private Reserve Spearmint, and Clairefontaine notebooks. That gives me a nice blue, a decent brown, plenty of black, and some other colors to mess around with while I work on my penmanship.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 6, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
An update on the Peerless. I switched the ink to J. Herbin 1670s Stormy Grey. It was doing okay for a day or two, but I'm rinsing ink out of the cap now. I noticed when it started leaving an ink ring when I uncapped it. So is the sac probably wrecked?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

An update on the Peerless. I switched the ink to J. Herbin 1670s Stormy Grey. It was doing okay for a day or two, but I'm rinsing ink out of the cap now. I noticed when it started leaving an ink ring when I uncapped it. So is the sac probably wrecked?

This sort of problem is almost always an air leak somewhere in the system. A hole in the sac is generally the most common culprit.

von Braun posted:

MR is the same pen as the Metropolitan but uses international standard converters and cartridges instead of Pilot's proprietary system. The MR also doesn't come with a converter so if you want to use bottled ink it will be a separate purchase.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 6, 2016

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

grack posted:

MR is the same pen as the Metropolitan but uses international standard converters and cartridges instead of Pilot's proprietary system. The MR also doesn't come with a converter so if you want to use bottled ink it will be a separate purchase.

I just threw a cheap-rear end converter that came with a cheap-rear end Jinhao pen into mine, and it works fine. The Jinhao pen was a write-off, but the converter worked fine. As I paid less than the cost of a branded converter for both the pen and converter, I considered it a bargain.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Yeah, Jinhaos should (more or less) use an int'l converter.

The real plus side to stuff with the int'l converter is you can use Herbin cartridges. I think they're int'l short, maybe? They come in a neat little tin, and if I had more than one pen that uses them, I'd have some.

Also hey JetPens carries the tiny 10mL Herbin bottles too! Neat.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

This sort of problem is almost always an air leak somewhere in the system. A hole in the sac is generally the most common culprit.
Is there a way to be definitive? I am assuming I can load the sac up with water and hold is upright. It's a lever filler, so I expect that water would come out of the lever mechanism. It looks like it's going to be fussy to take apart, and I'd have to get some stuff to do it, so I'm trying to be quadruple-sure here.

I have to say that the supposedly really-good pens I got are turning out to be crap, and these Lamy and Pilot fountain pens have been keeping me going. I was hoping to get something worthwhile with a flexible gold nib though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am assuming I can load the sac up with water and hold is upright. It's a lever filler, so I expect that water would come out of the lever mechanism.
That should work, I think? At least it did for my broken sac when I did that and turned it so that gravity brought water out the lever space.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

these Lamy and Pilot fountain pens have been keeping me going

I love my fancy pens. Yet...

My daily writer at work is a really banged-up Lamy Al-Star (it hangs off my lanyard) and my most-inked pen at home is a Jinhao x750, or sometimes my Pilot Knight when I want to feel extra moderne.

It's so frustrating to have a "nice" pen that needs work! Those cheaper pens really are meant to be workhorses.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a way to be definitive? I am assuming I can load the sac up with water and hold is upright. It's a lever filler, so I expect that water would come out of the lever mechanism. It looks like it's going to be fussy to take apart, and I'd have to get some stuff to do it, so I'm trying to be quadruple-sure here.

I have to say that the supposedly really-good pens I got are turning out to be crap, and these Lamy and Pilot fountain pens have been keeping me going. I was hoping to get something worthwhile with a flexible gold nib though.

When you're buying vintage you kind of have to accept some issues unless you're specifically buying a pen that's been restored. That's just the way of things. I mean we're talking about stuff that's literally decades old, and based on the pictures you've posted have been used quite a bit.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

effika posted:

That should work, I think? At least it did for my broken sac when I did that and turned it so that gravity brought water out the lever space.

I love my fancy pens. Yet...

My daily writer at work is a really banged-up Lamy Al-Star (it hangs off my lanyard) and my most-inked pen at home is a Jinhao x750, or sometimes my Pilot Knight when I want to feel extra moderne.

It's so frustrating to have a "nice" pen that needs work! Those cheaper pens really are meant to be workhorses.

I had a vintage Pelikan passed down from my father after he passed away. I forget the model but it's the flagship. The Jade green striped version with a made in W Germany on the cap.

I used it at work for a while and then one day I forgot to lock it in my desk and left it out. I think it was swiped by the cleaning people (they took my Kaweco sport too just to spite me? I always left that out in a cup I guess).

No more nice pens at work. Not going to lose the meiserstuck too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That sucks and all but holy god, why would you even leave that at work at all, in a locked desk or not?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't work in an office setting but I guess from the perplexed looks I get in public using my pen that most people wouldn't think of it as something worth stealing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

There's monetary value and there's sentimental value. I use a reasonably (but not overly) expensive pen for work and if it's not in my hand it's in my shirt pocket. It also wasn't an heirloom from my father.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Welp, pulled the trigger on the Lamy 2000 Massdrop. :getin:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Yes I was dumb don't be me. I didn't understand the value at the time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I pretty routinely bring my nicest pens into work because that's where I do most of my writing, and I feel fairly secure in doing it because I work in a fairly secure portion of the building and I trust my coworkers. However, all the nice pens come home with me every night. I do keep a couple Jinhaos, a Lamy Vista and a Metro in the pen cup at my desk

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I just got Mr Flynn a Waldmann--a pen I have looked up in search here, but saw nothing about. Is it a good or bad choice, in general? It's a variant on their Tango series, a sterling silver pen with a gold nib, and was in the $200 range. He's bonkers for it because it flows like mental and feels great in his hand. For me, that's really what makes a pen great, it feels good and does its job, but..you pen types know so much more than me. If there was something better I could have gotten him or might want to think about for his next one, I'd love the advice. Thanks!

obviously I fucked it fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 11, 2016

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Last week I got some really good recommendations from this thread for $60-$80 fountain pens but a lot of them have clear/transparent bodies. Do those ever wind up permanently staining after use? I think the only inks I own are Diamines, so I guess if an obscure kind of ink causes staining that's okay by me. I can't decide between the TWSBI DIAMOND 580AL SILVER and just about anything that doesn't have a clear body. :/ I want it... but I should probably just save up for a vanishing point. Also I just bought a wax seal set off of massdrop so I guess its time to start mailing letters to unsuspecting friends.

edit: also; the VAC MINI looks good...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Estimated ship date for the Lamy 2k from Massdrop's warehouse is August 25. That's two whole weeks!

:negative:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

errol _flynn posted:

I just got Mr Flynn a Waldmann--a pen I have looked up in search here, but saw nothing about. Is it a good or bad choice, in general? It's a variant on their Tango series, a sterling silver pen with a gold nib, and was in the $200 range. He's bonkers for it because it flows like mental and feels great in his hand. For me, that's really what makes a pen great, it feels good and does its job, but..you pen types know so much more than me. If there was something better I could have gotten him or might want to think about for his next one, I'd love the advice. Thanks!

I've never used one myself, but Dr. Brown speak fairly well of the pen. What other pens does he really like, maybe we can offer some similar suggestions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pl0CwWdVv0

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

GenericGirlName posted:

Last week I got some really good recommendations from this thread for $60-$80 fountain pens but a lot of them have clear/transparent bodies. Do those ever wind up permanently staining after use? I think the only inks I own are Diamines, so I guess if an obscure kind of ink causes staining that's okay by me. I can't decide between the TWSBI DIAMOND 580AL SILVER and just about anything that doesn't have a clear body. :/ I want it... but I should probably just save up for a vanishing point. Also I just bought a wax seal set off of massdrop so I guess its time to start mailing letters to unsuspecting friends.

I've used a wide variety of inks in my TWSBI 580s -- Diamine, Waterman, J. Herbin, Rohrer & Klingner, Akkerman, Sailor Jentle, Iroshizuku -- without issue. I'd stay away from anything that is notorious for staining (mainly a couple of Noodler's, like Baystate Blue) but you should be OK, generally.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Booo. I received my first ever counterfeit pen (lamy Safari if all things) from eBay. When it came in the mail I was immediately suspicious bc it just felt "off" too light with a weird cartridge. My fears were confirmed when the ink window never cleared the parts of the cartridge holder

My bad picture:

Edit: phone posting and imgur is being weird
https://m.imgur.com/l5SeIj4?r

Good part is the seller was good and immediately refunded my money. I don't want to post their name bc I think it was an honest mistake. Looks like their main products aren't pens and they just relisted a used one

I may be overly optimistic but eh

best bale fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 11, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bale. posted:

Booo. I received my first ever counterfeit pen (lamy Safari if all things) from eBay. When it came in the mail I was immediately suspicious bc it just felt "off" too light with a weird cartridge. My fears were confirmed when the ink window never cleared the parts of the cartridge holder
Heh. I have a black Lama Safari right in front of me. It has a gloss finish with a chrome clip. I also have no clue what that black hook thing is in the ink window.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh. I have a black Lama Safari right in front of me. It has a gloss finish with a chrome clip. I also have no clue what that black hook thing is in the ink window.

It's part of the neck that that the cartridge sits inside of. Lamy's threads are spaced so that it sits out of view of the ink window normally.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bale. posted:

My bad picture:

Edit: phone posting and imgur is being weird
https://m.imgur.com/l5SeIj4?r

Good part is the seller was good and immediately refunded my money. I don't want to post their name bc I think it was an honest mistake. Looks like their main products aren't pens and they just relisted a used one

I may be overly optimistic but eh

Sucks that you got a counterfeit but at least the seller refunded you right away. You're right that it's probably an honest mistake on the part of the seller, though. Fakes are getting into the supply chain at all points and even Amazon is having huge issues with that right now (to the point where Birkenstock pulled their products entirely).

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NeurosisHead posted:

It's part of the neck that that the cartridge sits inside of. Lamy's threads are spaced so that it sits out of view of the ink window normally.

Yeah, this poster explained it much better than I did :)

And whoa, didn't know that about Birkenstocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

errol _flynn posted:

Waldmann isn't well known but makes nice pens. If he likes it, why bother getting something else? People have all sorts of different preferences for pens and it seems like you chose a good one off of the bat.

bale. posted:

Yeah, this poster explained it much better than I did :)

And whoa, didn't know that about Birkenstocks.

Sucks you got a counterfeit but hey, free pen is a free pen.